Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

6.0 Gearing and Content - An explanation from a PTS player

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
6.0 Gearing and Content - An explanation from a PTS player

OlBuzzard
10.17.2019 , 07:57 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Pirana View Post
Or be tested for narcotics...

BURRRRR

Some one close the door !!

That was cold !!!

(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

Rion_Starkiller
10.17.2019 , 10:05 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
What's the difference in giving the boss more health/damage and nerfing the players? It's pure semantics

Edit: is doing say taris at 70 really the same as doing taris at 20? The answer is no - the tertiary stats don't scale and they don't take your abilities away, ergo you arent really level 20.
Because each mob, each add, each boss is unique to the operation, while a player is one of four classes. And think of your example in reverse, if the devs scaled each planet up to level 70 - each mob, each add, each boss, each quest vs each of 4 classes. Which is easier and quicker to balance?

I'm just speculating here without any real data.
-Beruhl, NiM Space Barbie and Solo Ranked Forum PvP (ง︡'-'︠)ง
(\/)(Ö,,,,Ö)(\/) ¦̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱(̢ ̡͇̅└͇̅┘͇̅ (▤8כ−◦
i do what i want major league memes can i borrow a stim?

TrixxieTriss
10.18.2019 , 12:00 AM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by OlBuzzard View Post
Ummmm

Someone needs to verify the ownership of this account ASAP !
Don’t worry, the Sarcasm is strong with him

TrixxieTriss
10.18.2019 , 12:01 AM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
You ought to have more faith in BW, these guys are professionals and been launching expansions nearly as long as you been alive. Don't worry 6.0 is going to land with great success. Meaning, very few bugs if any at all. Stay up!
LoL, People who don’t know you, haven’t realised how dry your sarcasm can be sometimes

KendraP
10.18.2019 , 05:22 AM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Because each mob, each add, each boss is unique to the operation, while a player is one of four classes. And think of your example in reverse, if the devs scaled each planet up to level 70 - each mob, each add, each boss, each quest vs each of 4 classes. Which is easier and quicker to balance?

I'm just speculating here without any real data.
I go back to my example involving existing scaling. Is taking a say, level 55 guy upscsled to 70 on an operation the same as having a 70? Is going back and doing coruscant heroics at 70 the same as doing them at 16? Obviously no.

Current scaling doesnt consider the classes separately - it ups or downs your stats according (i.e. more damage/less damage) and doesnt even do that all that well.

Thus why I say it's all semantics - you're scaling the boss' stats to 70 or the players to 50/whatever. It's not like actually making you level 50 or whatever (removing abilities/utilties/etc). The only way for them to truly leave these bosses level 50/whatever would be if they had enough ops at endgame to have a pve endgame without the old ones. That number is likely greater than 1, thus the reason they keep recycling old content.

Note I'm actually ok with the old content recycling. I just think trying to make it old content by pretending they're eliminating it from endgame when they're not really is a silly thing on their part. They've been upscaling for years and seem to semi understand how to do that now. Why risk messing up something over semantics?

Edit and tldr: I seriously doubt downscaling puts say EV on the same scale of difficulty as say rav. The scaling has little to do with why EV is easier, the mechanics are the primary differentiator.

OlBuzzard
10.18.2019 , 10:32 AM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
LoL, People who don’t know you, haven’t realised how dry your sarcasm can be sometimes
Mine is not that far behind !! Albeit that of late I've probably been too focused on a more serious note..

Hence my comment might have been taken a bit too serious … except for perhaps Lhancelot … Dasty (and maybe perhaps you )…

At least I haven't been insisting that the youngins' "KEEP OFF THE LAWN" !!

Over all the entire PTS has been very helpful to me … relearning the ropes … again … so to speak. Reporting those things which matter .. and leaving those things out that don't. And (once again) the disappointment when the "team" either doesn't get it … OR (what is more to the truth) … the TEAM already "gets it" and those of us who are reporting our findings get frustrated when we discover where the game is actually headed.

Confusing ?? Really ?? Tell me about it !! You should be the one trying to type this mess right now !

As for the overall scope of the new XP … IMO .. we will all be faced with some changes we don't like that well. That seems to be the way of things. While it is true that adaptation for the players is always an unwritten expectation and (seemingly equally understood law of the universe of video games) that transition can be received less favorably when taken too far. It seems to me that when some changes boarder line a reset of Cataclysmic proportions .. even those laws which govern said games will implode with disastrous affects.

I don't think we've quite reached that level yet !! But let's face most of us are just gamers. I'm quite certain that our wealth of knowledge in matters in such a vast universe has not only it's limitations ….but .. hang on a second !

This …[/ tap-tap]
silly … ball …[/tap-tap-tap]
… seems … [/tap-tap-tap]
to have …[/tap-tap-tap-tap]
STOPED WORKING [/ tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap]

I'll have to get back with you later …

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/68/1b...95e4fc0d59.jpg

ZionHalcyon
10.18.2019 , 10:39 AM | #97
Gotta say - at this point, I am a little more hyped for the expansion. Heard from Boyd there are branching storylines.

If they are going to commit to that, it may finally start giving the vibe the class stories used to.

Looking forward to actually playing the game this Tuesday. Day after my Birthday, so it makes a nice Birthday present.

OlBuzzard
10.18.2019 , 10:41 AM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
Gotta say - at this point, I am a little more hyped for the expansion. Heard from Boyd there are branching storylines.

If they are going to commit to that, it may finally start giving the vibe the class stories used to.

Looking forward to actually playing the game this Tuesday. Day after my Birthday, so it makes a nice Birthday present.
Congrats on the BD !!
29 ?? Right ?

ZionHalcyon
10.18.2019 , 12:28 PM | #99
Congrats on the BD !!
29 ?? Right ?

Ha, I wish. Thank you!

Not 29, but if Scott Adams was right, on Monday I will be the answer to life, the universe and everything...

TrixxieTriss
10.18.2019 , 02:20 PM | #100
Mine is not that far behind !! Albeit that of late I've probably been too focused on a more serious note..

Hence my comment might have been taken a bit too serious … except for perhaps Lhancelot … Dasty (and maybe perhaps you )…

At least I haven't been insisting that the youngins' "KEEP OFF THE LAWN" !!

Over all the entire PTS has been very helpful to me … relearning the ropes … again … so to speak. Reporting those things which matter .. and leaving those things out that don't. And (once again) the disappointment when the "team" either doesn't get it … OR (what is more to the truth) … the TEAM already "gets it" and those of us who are reporting our findings get frustrated when we discover where the game is actually headed.

Confusing ?? Really ?? Tell me about it !! You should be the one trying to type this mess right now !

As for the overall scope of the new XP … IMO .. we will all be faced with some changes we don't like that well. That seems to be the way of things. While it is true that adaptation for the players is always an unwritten expectation and (seemingly equally understood law of the universe of video games) that transition can be received less favorably when taken too far. It seems to me that when some changes boarder line a reset of Cataclysmic proportions .. even those laws which govern said games will implode with disastrous affects.

I don't think we've quite reached that level yet !! But let's face most of us are just gamers. I'm quite certain that our wealth of knowledge in matters in such a vast universe has not only it's limitations ….but .. hang on a second !

This …[/ tap-tap]
silly … ball …[/tap-tap-tap]
… seems … [/tap-tap-tap]
to have …[/tap-tap-tap-tap]
STOPED WORKING [/ tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap]

I'll have to get back with you later …

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/68/1b...95e4fc0d59.jpg
I use the term, “you young whipper snappers”