Is the Consular storyline as boring as I've heard?

NEStheONE

I'm burnt out on my original class. Thinking of doing Shadow or Assassin. I've yet to even barely play Republic side, and was thinking of going Shadow.

However, I remember some people telling me that the Consular storyline is absolutely atrocious and boring.

Someone set me straight!!! ...please? :D

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm burnt out on my original class. Thinking of doing Shadow or Assassin. I've yet to even barely play Republic side, and was thinking of going Shadow.

However, I remember some people telling me that the Consular storyline is absolutely atrocious and boring.

It's all a matter of personal taste, but i loved it.

Jedi Consular plot

prologue - lean space buddhism, and space aids.

chap 1 - find cure for space aids.

chap 2 - help some dumb people. Finds out how sith babby form.

chap 3 - help more dumb people. Beat the sith babbies.

At no point in the story do I find myself intrigued or cared for any of the characters in there. Boss fights are fun though.

Jedi Consular plot

prologue - lean space buddhism, and space aids.

chap 1 - find cure for space aids.

chap 2 - help some dumb people. Finds out how sith babby form.

chap 3 - help more dumb people. Beat the sith babbies.

At no point in the story do I find myself intrigued or cared for any of the characters in there. Boss fights are fun though.

While true, I think your opinion may be a bit radical :D

I'm leveling aa Knight and a Trooper. Knights feels more epic, Trooper is "like-da-movies" story (nice). Consul is good, I really liked it. But be warned: there is more plot, history and philosophy tha raw action.

While true, I think your opinion may be a bit radical :D

I'm leveling aa Knight and a Trooper. Knights feels more epic, Trooper is "like-da-movies" story (nice). Consul is good, I really liked it. But be warned: there is more plot, history and philosophy tha raw action.

I thought about doing a Knight. But, I guess I felt there are too many tanks already. But, then again, if the story and gameplay are fun, then maybe I should consider it.

Regardless, I just want a fun star-warsy story and character I can get behind. I like the double-bladed lightsaber, so that's why I was thinking shadow for example. Decisions decisions...

Throwing in a rather harsh opinion:

It's about as exciting as banging your head against the wall. I also heard some rumor about it being against the Geneva convention, something about inhumane torture (maybe not that bad).

All humor put aside I felt that from beginning to end almost each chain was about finding a single person/object/archive/treaty per planet. This meant that each individual quest on a planet was about storming a random bunker/cave/facility/archive only to find you "just missed" your target (princess is in another castle). Rinsed and repeated "barely missing your mark" about six times until catching up at the end of that planet. All chapters used this style of progression and in comparison to other classes, the whole shebang ended on a whimper.

The plot moved at a snail's pace the majority of the time and jumped forwards exponentially at the end of each chapter, with exception to the third. Any big revelations were very predictable. Lastly, unlike the other arch-types, the conversations are dull and lacking any hint of entertainment to illuminate the way.

In other words... good luck.

I thought the story was great. Decent pacing, appropriate storyline for the "diplomats" of the Jedi Order. Agree that it is the closest to a KOTOR3. Playing a shadow is just plain fun anyway. It's all a matter of personal preference. I will say that the romance storyline that you can do with the female companion if you are male is rushed and awkward. The flow of the romance subplots worked much better in KOTOR 1 and 2.

the consular story line is the closest thing to a KOTOR 3

I agree here.

My first char was a Jedi Knight which I loved the story and my companions, going into this class I was only doing because I wanted a ranged PvPer, and thought the story would suck based on what people have said. But I'm really enjoying it and the companions fit well with it.

I can honestly tell you it was slow, dull and at times boring. It picked up at the end on Corellia, but not enough to really do it any justice.

It also doesn't help that the main villains you fight at the end of each chapter are so predictable, hell chapter 3 involves the character having a vision which gives it away. Not even Nolan North's voice over could help improve it, in fact I think it's one of the worst leading roles. Character is just to stiff and wooden if you play solid light side.

the consular story line is the closest thing to a KOTOR 3

You must not of played the Jedi Knight story line through then. He/she is definitely the "main character" of the game and after finishing it, the Trooper and Consular story lines that i have both played through pale in comparison in terms of 'epic-ness.'

As for the JC storyline, Act 1 was bland and rather uninteresting as you wander from planet to planet doing the same exact thing. Act 2 was more interesting but lacked a epic feel, until it's end where it quickly picked up leading into Act 3.

My assessment of the consular story:

Act I - pretty godaweful boring

Act II - starting to get me increasingly interested

Act III - completely engrossed and fascinated by it

As always, YMMV, but that's my $0.02.

It is in fact a matter of opinion because I find Act II boring as heck and Act I was amazing. I'm hoping Act II gets better, I've only just left Balmorra, but even by leaving Coruscant I was intrigued in the story. Act II feels like the direction and flow is just all over the place.

All depends on your personality, really. If you want action, yeah, it'll be boring.

If you're playing a consular because you want to play the diplomat and the sagey force user, it is spot on. Lots of history and lovely jedi-mumbo-jumbo. You get to do some fun things in a couple of cutscenes that just had me grinning.

Personally, I love it. Been running side by side with a knight, and have found the knight's quests to be kind of boring. So, I think it's all a matter of taste.

I wont pretend, Act 1 was kind of boring. Its dull and the same thing from taris to aldernon. In act 2 it picks up, but in act 3 it is great. You feel like you are important. Overall, you need to have patience with this story. It is good, but it has many slow parts.

As others have said, it's personal taste.

I loved the story as a whole myself. I loved my first companion and my last one, but the inbetween ones felt a bit forced and uninspiring to me.

My assessment of the consular story:

Act I - pretty godaweful boring

Act II - starting to get me increasingly interested

Act III - completely engrossed and fascinated by it

As always, YMMV, but that's my $0.02.

Second this opinion. The consular story is very good if you can stick through the first act.

Personally I like the Consular story a lot (Level 29 at the moment). I have a level 18 Smuggler, a level 30 Juggernaut, a level 18 Bounty Hunter and a few other lower levels. My Juggernaut leveled with a Sorc buddy of mine and between those two stories I liked the Juggernaut more.

I got a little tired of the death and pain approach to the Juggernaut, but it seems all stories follow a similar formula. At least for Act 1. Not that all stories involve death and pain approach, it's more or less just doing the same things over and over again until whenever.

Personally I like the aspect of being a jedi strong in the force, going around healing Master Jedi to bring them back from being brainwashed by the dark side. It's a lot more appealing compared to the smuggler, bh, juggernaut and sorc.

As far as Act 2 and Act 3. I got nothin':o

Edited by MatzahMaul

I have a 50 BH. The storyline was entertaining.

My consular/Shadow is 48. I would skip the entire storyline if I didnt get crafting slaves out of it. On Corellia now and still waiting for anything mildly interesting/unpredictable to happen. . . probably because i'd prefer to kill a tainted individual than give them a second chance (a second chance to be tainted >.> )

Each to his own though. persons who are much more fans of Star Wars than I would probably love it to death. :D

I don't know. Just finished a quest featuring my companions naked. Very interesting twist although puzzeling. I got nothing like that with my BH or SI!

Ok, they were naked holograms, but still.

I know exactly what you've just done as I submitted a bug report on that one :D

I found the first chapter a little repetitive but you are mostly learning about how the Consular works and it was my first class so it wasn't too bad. It takes off a bit after that and the last few planets are awesome.

If you're a smashy type and get bored easily I'd say go knight.

I played a Sith Assassin before rerolling to a Jedi Shadow to play with friends.

I loved the JC storyline so much more than the SI it's not even funny. I won't spoil anything, but the SI one just didn't have me hooked on anything, it felt like you were researching more than actually fighting anything. The JC story is a lot more exciting and interesting. I even liked Chapter 1 and most people thought that was the worst part!