Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

If only Bioware would split from EA

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
If only Bioware would split from EA

Rion_Starkiller
01.11.2019 , 11:27 AM | #21
Quote:
Electronic Arts acquired BioWare in October 2007. EA noted at the time that it would pay an additional $155 million in equity to "certain employees" of the company, subject to "time-based... vesting criteria." Zeschuk and Muzyka's concurrent departures come almost exactly five years after the acquisition.
https://www.wired.com/2012/09/biowar...rs-retirement/

BW might have had semi-autonomy before the founders cashed out. Who knows.
-Beruhl, NiM Space Barbie (ง︡'-'︠)ง
(\/)(Ö,,,,Ö)(\/) ¦̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱(̢ ̡͇̅└͇̅┘͇̅ (▤8כ−◦
i do what i want major league memes can i borrow a stim?

TrixxieTriss
01.11.2019 , 11:27 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
It was and I remember that interview well. I also thought the producer was completely vague, bordering on sour grapes trying to justify money for a new project.

The problem for me was he didn't specify what he would have done differently. I recall him also saying that he wanted it be essentially "KOTOR but online" -- but what does that even mean? He talked about social hubs, but that's not an MMO.

At the end of the day MMO's have to decide the proper balance between solo, small group (flashpoints), and larger group (raid) content, along with things like strongholds, crafting, and PvP. He would have run into the exact same dilemmas as any MMO producer.

Did he think people just wanted to do solo content and then hang out on fleet shooting the breeze? If so, EA was wise to shift gears.

Maybe the guy had the most brilliant idea on how to make KOTOR online, but simply complaining that his vision wasn't fulfilled doesn't cut it for me -- I would need to know what his vision was in terms of actual implementation.

Dasty
It’s a shame he didn’t actually lay out in detail what he would have done instead. Maybe one day once swtor has been long dead and buried we will find out some of the hidden truths that have happened behind the scenes of this game.

Lhancelot
01.11.2019 , 02:36 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
It’s a shame he didn’t actually lay out in detail what he would have done instead. Maybe one day once swtor has been long dead and buried we will find out some of the hidden truths that have happened behind the scenes of this game.
We just need an influential streamer to infiltrate the BW cabal, befriend them and then learn all their dirty secrets. I nominate Snave or Hottie for this job.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

Celise
01.11.2019 , 04:16 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
You use the term "cash cow" with derision as if EA should somehow be delivering the game to a needy player base as a charitable contribution.

Electronic Arts has never sought under section 78 for a letter of determination from the IRS to be listed as a non-profit corporation under any paragraph under 501c of the IRS tax code. Not member-driven 501c(7), not charitable 501c(3), nothing.

So, as a publicly traded for-profit company, EA is responsible to its shareholders to maintain the company's profitability, and it is absurd to deride a for-profit company in its efforts to engineer revenue-generating products (cash cows) to meet that responsibility.

This game is the fish in the fish market, the apple in the produce section, the bag of potato chips in the snack aisle. A product. For sale.

And we are that product's consumers, so deriding EA for intending SWTOR to be a cash cow makes no sense.

The only point of derision any of us can truly make is offending what players believe a good Star Wars game should be and consistently delivering a shoddy product release after release after release.
Oh.. and i suppose Visceral is still going, pumping out dead space 4 and 5? i suppose Westwood is still going pumping out command and conquer games.. oh wait, EA isn't a charity case and they are driven by money, theyve already destroyed a game series and two good companies and a third on the verge of ruin if Anthem bombs.

Businesses look out for one thing no matter their status, to survive they need money to keep going and that means creating a revenue stream for profit, SWTOR is it. So it is a cash cow and always was.

Quote: Originally Posted by PorsaLindahl View Post
Other than seeing this remark from a few that posted on the forums and perhaps some random editorial article that was nothing but speculations and theories, I've never seen anything to suggest that TOR was supposedly to be a WoW Killer.
But the fact you've mentioned it legitimises the point. so nothing more to add there.

Lhancelot
01.11.2019 , 04:51 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Keta View Post
WAR was a Mythic Entertainment game. It was developed while Mythic was an independent company. Mythic and BW were both acquired by EA in short succession. Mythic was subsequently merged into BW after the last of Mythic's founders left. BW had little to do with WAR and nothing to do with its development. It was out and running before the forced mash up of the two studios.
Ah yes I forgot about Mythic. I just remembered seeing BW name on the game later I believe. Well. No wonder they took nothing from that game and brought it here, rofl.

Thanks for the history lesson.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

Lium
01.11.2019 , 07:00 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
See citation #38.

Bioware is a undifferentiated part of EA Motive. There's nothing to break out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioWare
Actually no. This is only in regards to BioWare Montreal, who made ME: Andromeda. After that game's failure, they effectively closed the studio and merged it with Motive.

BioWare Edmonton is their main office, and the makers of Anthem. That office is still going strong. However, EA owns the entirety of BioWare so splitting off isn't possible unless EA decides to sell it.