Event currency

Warrgames

I would love for someone to explain the logic behind why the Gree event currency ONLY bound to character event currency.

Rakghoul Event (original event): Rakghoul DNA Sample no binding; earned from dailies and blowing up.

Chevin Grand Acquisitions Race: Token of Enrichment no binding; earned completing the quest and in random boxes on Nar Shadaa.

Gree Event: Gray Helix Components bound to character; earned from heroic daily, weekly kill of HM and SM kills of Xenoanalyst 2 and one time quest to talk to Gree bots on bunch of planets.

Bounty Hunter Weekly: Completed Bounty Contract: no binding earned from completing a daily and 6 weeklies.

Rakghoul Event (new one): unknown

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love for someone to explain the logic behind why the Gree event currency ONLY bound to character event currency.

Rakghoul Event (original event): Rakghoul DNA Sample no binding; earned from dailies and blowing up.

Chevin Grand Acquisitions Race: Token of Enrichment no binding; earned completing the quest and in random boxes on Nar Shadaa.

Gree Event: Gray Helix Components bound to character; earned from heroic daily, weekly kill of HM and SM kills of Xenoanalyst 2 and one time quest to talk to Gree bots on bunch of planets.

Bounty Hunter Weekly: Completed Bounty Contract: no binding earned from completing a daily and 6 weeklies.

Rakghoul Event (new one): unknown

Up to CZ and BH Week there was no other legacy weapons than Gree ones, so I suppose it was intentional... as there are reputation ones that are bought with credits - I hope they change that.

Unless someone from Bioware responds, we can only guess.

And my guess is that since the Gree event is the only one to make legacy lightsabers available, they wanted to limit the distribution of those to characters that actually participate in the event. The bounty event has legacy weapons, but not lightsabers, and they are purchased with credits once you have enough reputation.

Gree is the only one with Jedi/Sith weapons.

Uh, did I miss anything? Shouldn't it be the other way around and the Gree Event is the only one that has Legacy weapons other than Lightsabers? I mean, you can buy the Sword of the Vigilant on CZ-198 for 500.000 Credits at Champion standing, but to my recollection, you can't get pistols or blasters from anywhere else other than the Gree.

Or is this about something OTHER than just swapping hilts and modifications around?

Uh, did I miss anything? Shouldn't it be the other way around and the Gree Event is the only one that has Legacy weapons other than Lightsabers? I mean, you can buy the Sword of the Vigilant on CZ-198 for 500.000 Credits at Champion standing, but to my recollection, you can't get pistols or blasters from anywhere else other than the Gree.

Or is this about something OTHER than just swapping hilts and modifications around?

The BBA event has legacy pistols and rifles. Gree is the only one giving out actual legacy sabers, but yes CZ does have the legacy vibrosword.

Edited by Indignatron

I forgot about that sword. I stand corrected on that. But you can buy blaster pistols and rifle that looks like a bowcaster from the bounty weekly for credits.

And they didn't want you to be able to do that with this event, apparently. Mystery solved.

Exactly. For previous events, you could easily farm more than one hundred of the event currency, which quickly led to a deflation of the value.

For the Chevin event, they tried to increase the value again by adding in the red Sparkle Powder as a money drain, but since most people couldn't care less about social items, they were not in high demand.

The Gree event ensures that you can only get 14+7 gray helices per character per week. That way, people with more characters or more time do not have an advantage over casual players.

• Dev Post

Hey folks!

The answer to your question may not be what you are expecting, it is actually technical limitation which is causing the Gree currency to be character bound. Within our current system we had a few options:

• The items are character bound and stackable (the way it works currently)
  • The items are non-stackable and bound to Legacy. (we did not choose this option to avoid a cargo bay somewhere full of currency)
  • The items are fully tradeable (these are meant to be earned, at least for now)

Those were our options from a tech standpoint and our justification for the decision we made. Hope that makes sense!

-eric

Exactly. For previous events, you could easily farm more than one hundred of the event currency, which quickly led to a deflation of the value.

For the Chevin event, they tried to increase the value again by adding in the red Sparkle Powder as a money drain, but since most people couldn't care less about social items, they were not in high demand.

The Gree event ensures that you can only get 14+7 gray helices per character per week. That way, people with more characters or more time do not have an advantage over casual players.

Previous events? You do realize that Gree event is the 1st recurring event they did. Bounty Weekly and Life Day came after the Gree Event was placed in the game. Both you can buy event currency. The Gree Event is over year old.

Hey folks!

The answer to your question may not be what you are expecting, it is actually technical limitation which is causing the Gree currency to be character bound. Within our current system we had a few options:

• The items are non-stackable and bound to Legacy. (we did not choose this option to avoid a cargo bay somewhere full of currency)
  • The items are fully tradeable (these are meant to be earned, at least for now)

Those were our options from a tech standpoint and our justification for the decision we made. Hope that makes sense!

-eric

So how come you have a technical limitation with the Gree currency but not the bounty contract currency? What is the technical limitation, if you know?

Hey folks!

-eric

why would BtL not be stackable?? how is that not a design option? in a way, reputation trophies are legacy because they add up in reputation total.

so is this the new paradigm? make it so content is only worth running on one toon? this is exactly what happens with GSF: there is little benefit in running on alts. when and why did devs decide that they don't like people using their legacy for what is a central aspect: you use the in your legacy to benefit the legacy as a whole and to benefit single characters by running content with the rest of them.

I would be more prone to accepting this non-BtL currency if it weren't that the event was limited time, which is frustrating at best. at least with BBA i can pass my completed contracts to asks to run kingpins and I can buy rep items based solely on rep level that I still had to put the work into to increase and dull feel like I've gotten something done before the event goes away. total BS imo to design around a subset of players who are clearing content "too quickly."

I mean come on! i agree when what others have said: it really seems devs are starting to drag stuff out just so they can avoid less frequent new content.

Edited by DimmuJanKaarl
typos

So how come you have a technical limitation with the Gree currency but not the bounty contract currency? What is the technical limitation, if you know?

Thank you for showing the full quote the other guy tried to use.

Kind of funny that there is a technical limitation on this event currency only. Maybe the technical limitation is called laziness?

Thank you for showing the full quote the other guy tried to use.

Kind of funny that there is a technical limitation on this event currency only. Maybe the technical limitation is called laziness?

Uh... No.

It means that Bioware Originally designed the Items in a certain way and most likely the time needed to add this case is more work and there is not a good business case to add it.

Says so exactly in that message:

Within our current system we had a few options:

The BBA tokens are fully tradeable between players. They wanted the Gree tokens to not be traded between players.

Read the whole quote before posting please next time. Thanks in advance. :D

EDIT: I'm not the only one who thought you need to read the entire post. (See below post.)

Edited by Bstr

He doesn't know, and wouldn't answer this if he did.

Do you think he really wants armchair developers hollering at him for technical decisions he has absolutely no involvement with?

Hey folks!

-eric

just to clarify.... aren't the cartel market certificates both BoL and stackable? I realize it went through a few iterations to make it that way (they were first stackable and BoP, then they were BoL and not stackable, but now they're BoL and stackable)

I'm ultimately indifferent either way. I think the current implementation is fine especially since the things you buy are BoL, but I guess I just wanted to point out that not all items fit those 3 descriptions.

Eric can you then please shed some light on this comment made by JesseSky back in February ?

Gray Helix Components are BoP so that players with only one character at 45+ aren't at a massive disadvantage. Having several alts is a significant advantage while earning Reputation, but some very specific rewards are special enough that they take a bit of extra time and cooperation to obtain. The Event will repeat with enough frequency that you will be able to obtain these items even if you miss out on Components this time around.

Interesting find...

I have a good memory ;)

But in all seriousness, I think they don't necessarily mean opposite things. The system could be like this with such (good) rewards because they can't technically make the helix's as BOL. But I would still like some clarification on this.

Edited by znihilist