Replay Story Missions?

I haven't seen anything that suggests otherwise, but I wish there was a way to reset your story and replay it. I've got characters from when the game first started that are sitting at what was max level for the time, and I barely remember one thing about that story. I know that I can go youtube the story that someone else played through, but that doesn't feel exactly right, you know?

As it stands, the closest thing would be deleting the character (who has unlocks that I'd have to make account-wide) and remaking it...

As it stands, the closest thing would be deleting the character (who has unlocks that I'd have to make account-wide) and remaking it...

Make a note of where your old character is up to, and then crank a new character through the story to that point, then drop the new character and continue the story from that point with the old one. That way you can upgrade the unlocks when you are ready.

Hopefully in some future update it will be made possible to replay the class story quests again, not unlike how you can replay chapters in KoTFE or KoTET.

Anything that gives the game greater replay value is something more likely to keep players around.

Hopefully in some future update it will be made possible to replay the class story quests again, not unlike how you can replay chapters in KoTFE or KoTET.

Anything that gives the game greater replay value is something more likely to keep players around.

I agree. I would also like to replay the last three, not that I particularly enjoyed being betrayed, but I tend to fraps certain scenes and I missed some on Iokath I wouldn't mind recapturing. I changed computers and have a faster system so the videos are clear and not as laggy. But yea, I have had to just make new characters to replay the vanilla stories, but that's okay with me as I can explore making the new looks and the original stories are fun to play.

I agree on this too.

I'd really like to be able to replay everything from prologue to Nathema over and over again with the same character without having to restart a clone of said character from lvl 1 :(

The chapters in KOTFE and KOTET were designed with replayability in mind. The vanilla content wasn't.

There are too many flags, script triggers, markers, etc, in the vanilla code that basically make it impossible to be replayed.

The chapters in KOTFE and KOTET were designed with replayability in mind. The vanilla content wasn't.

There are too many flags, script triggers, markers, etc, in the vanilla code that basically make it impossible to be replayed.

Planetary missions and side quests can be replayed. It just requires going back to the planet and interacting with the quest giver, rather than having the launch button function of KoTFE and KoTET chapters. If the planetary missions can be replayed I don't see why it will be impossible to implement for class mission content.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

I would absolutely love this. Because then you could use customs on your companions, and they would show when you first meet them. Malavai with custom 3 would show up with green eyes and a military hair cut when you meet him on Balmorra. Vette with custom 4 would be green instead of blue when you see her for the first time, being shocked by Jailer Nash. So they would look like how you want them to look, instead of looking like everyone elses companions.

Planetary missions and side quests can be replayed. It just requires going back to the planet and interacting with the quest giver, rather than having the launch button function of KoTFE and KoTET chapters. If the planetary missions can be replayed I don't see why it will be impossible to implement for class mission content.

Because the planetary missions don't involve anything of any permanence. There is nothing in the planetary quests like getting your (class) ship for example, something that has a lasting impact on the rest of the game.

The fact that you can redo planetary missions should clue you into how non impactful they are to the game, the decisions you make, etc.

It's similar to how/why you can't change your character's gender. There are too many things in place that would/could break if you/they suddenly flipped the switch on that.

Also ask yourself this, do people really want the replay missions or do they just want a cutscene viewer? Because a cutscene viewer that people could just plug anything into (character models, armor sets, weapons, etc) using all the available art assets in the game I'm guessing would be in higher demand than the ability to replay the class missions because then people could relive the stories to their hearts content and dress up their character and their companions any way they want without having to worry about what items they own and could do crazy things like swap out any character model with another.

Edited by Darth-Obvious

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
This would be really nice. Other games have this feature, and they usually call it 'new game plus'. I wouldn't at all mind running the story again with an advanced character.......it would be fun to revisit the original content with a level 70 or 75 toon!:D

Cool! I hope we get this feature in the future! :)

Not likely. This was already discussed ad nauseam when 4.0 was coming out and the KotFE/ET story missions have been instanced for replay purposes. The stories before that are meshed heavily into the open world of planets and can't as easily be repurposed for replay. The chapters can be played individually but also there you cannot change your original choices because story choices do lock certain things.

So if you killed Koth for example but regret it you can replay that part and make a different choice but it doesn't actually change the story after: he's still gone.

What you may have also noticed is that after the chapters of KotFE/ET it wasn't as succesful as they hoped and they went back to the drawing board. Iokath was a normal quest chain again and back to the old ways. It wasn't as successful either but that's mostly due to messing up the dailies in that area badly and a map design that makes it less interesting to play on.

They then changed direction (learning the wrong lesson) and we got the main story delivered via FPs (Umbara, Copero and Nathema). That's when they learned what people had already been saying, that people didn't want and so Ossus came about.

Now aside, from the superfluous tiers of BiS gear that you could get there, Ossus was very successful from what I could see. People played there a lot. The story was enjoyable and the dailies were fun again. So now with Onslaught we get the new story delivered again in that same old format. It's a bit short but it was enjoyable to play again and I actually play all my toons through it, which I never did with the content after SoR until Ossus.

So make of all that what you will but to me it says that the chapter approach, although liked by some, has not been a success overall and so they haven't repeated this format. And people who think it's a simple matter to convert the original stories to be made replayable may grossly underestimate the complexity of that. So instead they just made it damn easy to gear alts.

So ask yourself why they stopped making mission chapters. It just doesn't seem to me that this "feature" is remotely likely to happen. Feel free to wish for it, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

The stories before that are meshed heavily into the open world of planets and can't as easily be repurposed for replay.

I have to disagree on this one. You already can reset ongoing story quests. This wouldn't be much different. Everything is inside personal phase, or respawning material. The only "problem" are the companions, but a lot of them already returned. They could also use temporary companions, or let us change phase on companions.

My suggestion would eliminate all of these easily. I don't suggest to go back chapter to chapter, but option to reset main quest on character tab. Unlike when you create a new character you wouldn't be bothered by sidequests, leveling, gearing, and you could rush the main quest easily.

I have to disagree on this one. You already can reset ongoing story quests. This wouldn't be much different. Everything is inside personal phase, or respawning material. The only "problem" are the companions, but a lot of them already returned. They could also use temporary companions, or let us change phase on companions.

My suggestion would eliminate all of these easily. I don't suggest to go back chapter to chapter, but option to reset main quest on character tab. Unlike when you create a new character you wouldn't be bothered by sidequests, leveling, gearing, and you could rush the main quest easily.

Well I have to disagree with you in return as well :)

It's much more than just companions and the companion thing is rather tricky as it is. Also being tied to your personal ship. It's also about decisions you make that have an effect later on. It's tied to conversation choices as well.

Now I'm not saying it's impossible for them to do this, but I do look at it from a practical point of view, meaning how much effort it would be to make the changes needed to make this possible versus the gain for the game. This has to do with the possible revenue from such investments and also how many players they will make happy with such options. And I do believe that people who want this overestimate the value of this feature and underestimate the effort needed to make it happen.

I think doing this would be more effort than it gains them in short. As I mentioned BW tried this format and stopped doing it after 5.0 released. That's 3 years the last time they brought out such chapters and then they changed the format to replayable FPs which failed as well and this is still demonstrated when you do random FPs and one of those 3 comes up. I've not seen a group doing those FPs without players leaving and a lot of them leave already the moment they realise it's one of those 3.

So with Ossus they went back to the old open world approach and this was welcomed. Onslaught the same and if anything the main complaint there is that the story is too short.

I think all in all the conclusion simply can only be that BW do not see chapters as a viable option anymore moving forward, so why on earth would they do it retroactively? I'm sure some people would love it but I wouldn't use that option myself and I think many more players wouldn't care either. BW have commented in the past about the complexity themselves of doing this for the original stories and you can disagree with that but they themselves pointed at such complexities and though I don't believe everything they say, their comments did make sense to me.

• 4 months later...
Sadly, there's no way to reset and revisit your original story. Your best bet is to create a clone and run it all again.
how u make a clone of ur char? i like to clone so i could do all the fallen empire missions with same choices i made in base game and previous DLC's no default choices like when u make new fallen char but ofc to same server that i am currently i need to copy/clone my char there

i hope u don't mean this

https://vulkk.com/2018/07/07/swtor-pts-how-to-enable-access-it-and-copy-your-characters/

its unknown territory to me and i don't tend to touch the unknown

but i need to restart from fallen empire or at least beginning of onslaught if i cant save 1 thing i can pick another and my char would be less ruined not ruined but didn't go as i planned so restart onslaught would be half victory

Edited by SugramRaven

There would be no need to delete the character. You can have more than one of any class. So, just make a new character to go through the story. You can keep the new one as a storage mule when you're finished the story, or delete it, or whatever.

how u make a clone of ur char?

I don't think the poster meant an exact clone, but if you did want to clone a character you would start by going to an Appearance Modification Station and writing down the 'numbers' for all the sliders.

Then start a new character of the same class and set the sliders to the same numbers.

The new character would, of course, be a separate character and no choices they made would affect the original.

Edited by JediQuaker

i hope u don't mean this

https://vulkk.com/2018/07/07/swtor-pts-how-to-enable-access-it-and-copy-your-characters/

its unknown territory to me and i don't tend to touch the unknown

No, that has nothing at all to do with it. The "PTS" is the "Public Test Server", where they put up pre-release features that are coming soon so that it can get some testing by players. You can either create new characters *or* copy one or more of your existing characters there, but you can count on them occasionally wiping everything from there.

As noted by JediQuaker, cloning a character is nothing more and nothing less than starting a new one and making sure that the new one looks like the old one (use the Appearance Modification kiosks on Fleet or the capital worlds to find the correct numbers for the sliders).

What you do with the character after creation is up to you, but you can do all sorts of interesting things, like:

* Create a new character of the same base class but the other advanced class (Shadow <=> Sage, for example).

* Create a new character of the opposite class (Shadow <=> Assassin). This requires some care because some appearance options aren't available on the opposite faction, and human skin colours will *look* different at the same slider position (but they aren't - it's just that the lighting is different).

* Create a new identical character and change the way you navigate the story - go Dark instead of Light, romance a different companion, romance a girl instead of a boy or vice versa(1), etc.

* Whatever else you can imagine.

(1) There are *some* same-sex romances available, because (for example) all characters can romance any of Koth, Lana or Theron, and all Consulars can romance a returned Nadia (same for Warriors and Jaesa).

I don't think the poster meant an exact clone, but if you did want to clone a character you would start by going to an Appearance Modification Station and writing down the 'numbers' for all the sliders.

Then start a new character of the same class and set the sliders to the same numbers.

The new character would, of course, be a separate character and no choices they made would affect the original.

by clone i mean to replay from fallen empire with past choices so i won't get default choices cause its same char hes done, when i create fallen empire char i get default choices and i don't want that, i need a way to replay that part and fix a thing, my char design is ruined can't romance any1 new i discovered that my rom with lana what i planed was screwed way 2late cause i thought it was done deal and new i can't get even Nadia sins she is back already i refuse to start from class story again i played class story way to much got sick of it

if i could restart onslaught and take nadia then i could do switch go for lana with my sage and the shadow who lost the chance with lana gets nadia

i may half to risk and test what happens if i randomly chose a chapter just to delete onslaught from my mission log will it restart it or restart from Iokath like puts iokath back to my ships mission terminal

if fallen char creation had answering question part i would do that to set my choices there i mean then i would consider remaking a char there if i also would get like 20 of each (alien, artifact, military, smuggler) alliance supply boxes if (if i can make the past choices in char creation and make new char) cause they are needed for star fortress story arc and i don't like to farm them unless i play class story and get from there from doing HC+2 runs later i don't like to do it it feels like a shore no fun so for story i don't farm and cause my other chars before even have not gotten enough of them i haven't done star fortress with them cause getting just 1 of 1type from HC or 2 is not enough if i get 1 from each ok that's ok not 2much and not 2low number neither the last part is just small complaint that that is not enough and 1 is not even worth replaying the HC to farm it

Edited by SugramRaven

by clone i mean to replay from fallen empire with past choices so i won't get default choices cause its same char hes done, when i create fallen empire char i get default choices and i don't want that, i need a way to replay that part and fix a thing

If you create a "start at 60" character, that character starts from the *beginning* of KotFE, ready to make his or her first-play choices. To be sure, you cannot choose how things went in the class story and companion stories, but if you are trying to lock a romance with Lana, you don't need to do that. Just grab a "Commander's Character" token from the Cartel Market, claim it, use it, and then log out to the character select screen and press the *middle* button: https://i.imgur.com/EKGZN0o.jpg

The top button is an insta70 that has already played through KotFE/ET, and the bottom is a start-at-1 that begins on the starter planet.

If you create a "start at 60" character, that character starts from the *beginning* of KotFE, ready to make his or her first-play choices. To be sure, you cannot choose how things went in the class story and companion stories, but if you are trying to lock a romance with Lana, you don't need to do that. Just grab a "Commander's Character" token from the Cartel Market, claim it, use it, and then log out to the character select screen and press the *middle* button: https://i.imgur.com/EKGZN0o.jpg

The top button is an insta70 that has already played through KotFE/ET, and the bottom is a start-at-1 that begins on the starter planet.

how much that costs? i like to fix it but if i buy it may may not be able to sub next time i have separate acc for gaming that gets a little bit from my mane acc awry month (it has to w8 and collect a bit) also if its caused by patch they should give it free ppl talk about it patches removing romance to fic romance

u mean new char made for kotfe has no past no default choices like when u skip dlc and says ur past missions will be considered complete... clean slate?

but it sucks if he doesn't get the supply boxes needed for star fortress story

EDIT:

misunderstood what u said about Commander's Character token

i thought Commander's Character gives u ur romance check-mark back

Edited by SugramRaven

how much that costs?

2000 Cartel Coins. You might be able to find it on the GTN (player-to-player market) for credits, but it will be a *lot* of credits.

i like to fix it but if i buy it may may not be able to sub next time i have separate acc for gaming that gets a little bit from my mane acc awry month (it has to w8 and collect a bit) also if its caused by patch they should give it free ppl talk about it patches removing romance to fic romance

Not really, because people *can* just play from level 1, and all that costs is time. The start-at-60 option is not there to help people fix this kind of problem - it's just a way to dive in at a more advanced point in the story.

u mean new char made for kotfe has no past no default choices like when u skip dlc and says ur past missions will be considered complete... clean slate?

but it sucks if he doesn't get the supply boxes needed for star fortress story

Not a clean slate. Instead, the slate is pre-set, but only the parts of the slate that are *before* KotFE. The character starts there as if he had already played through from level 1 to begin KotFE *exactly* at the beginning of level 60 (but no class-story romances, no class-story titles, etc.). There aren't many choices you can make during the class story that actually affect KotFE in any way - the one I can think of is for Inquisitors, where they get different *narrative* (i.e. for storytelling purposes) "Darth" titles depending on their alignment balance (dark/neutral/light) at the end of the class story. Captain Fora at the beginning of KotFE greets start-at-60 characters as "Darth Imperius", which is the title for Light Side Inquisitors.

The locked Alliance crates (for the Star Fortress stuff, but also for raising the Influence rank of your four Alliance Specialists) can be earned by any character of level 61 or higher that runs Heroic H2+ or Heroic H4 missions.

i thought Commander's Character gives u ur romance check-mark back

Good grief no. All it does is allow you to (if you start at 60) to quickly get to the right point on a new character. If you start at 70, you can quickly get through the Ossus story to start a new romance with Nadia, Jaesa, Khem Val or (with Onslaught as well) Kira or Scourge.