Directive 7 - stop interrupting the claw!

I've noticed that when I get D7 HM, I'll quite often have DPS using an interrupt or stun on the claw when it's chasing them to get it off them. Problem is, this seems to reset the claw's target. Since no-one else can damage it, who's the only person in the room with threat on the claw? The healer. So, the claw immediately starts chasing them and they can't heal. (It's not so bad for a scoundrel as they can heal on the move, but a sage or commando is stuffed.) Some idiot somewhere seems to have spread the misinformation that getting it off you and onto the person keeping you alive is a good idea.

I did D7 HM this evening with me on my shadow tank, a guildie on his commando healer and 2 random DPS, a sage and a vanguard. The vanguard was a bit of a numpty the whole time. Missed the repair droid on bulwark so the panel got repaired, pulled loads of random stuff etc. So, before we went in I specifically said in chat, do not interrupt or stun the claw, kite it.

What did the idiot vanguard do? Stunned it. Every time the message anounced that they had been targetted, a second or two later the claw immediately dropped them and went after our healer. He was getting blasted, running around all the time with no chance to top us up and it looked like we might wipe. I said in chat a couple of times "STOP INTERRUPTING THE CLAW!" The idiot vanguard kept doing it so the healer was targetted fully half the time.

I was on TS with my guildie so I said, let him die, he's doing more harm than good. We stopped healing him. He died. We left him dead. We completed the fight as a 3-man team, it took a little longer but was much easier because our healer had a chance to do their job. Before the fight ended, the vanguard respawned, so they lost their chance at the loot. (It was a sage drop anyway but they didn't know that and they weren't happy!)

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this tale of stupidity. Anyone else ever seen someone really, really not get the mechanics of a fight? Maybe if there's someone out there even stupider it'll make me less annoyed! :p

Edited by Ms_Sunlight

Remove the idiot factor and be a boss instead. Taunt the claw as a tank. I do it on my ptech every time I run the place and it works like a charm. Of course I can do at least a decent amount of damage still from range, but taunts are enough to hold threat once it gets started, and nothing really hurts enough to matter much.

Gotta tab-target tho, and sometimes hit tab several times to select the claw, but its pretty fast to do. Can even stand across from DPS and just eat the beam if you want, pop a cooldown if it starts to hurt.

I find it hard to reliably taunt the claw, because the fight requires people to be running all over the room, going after cores etc, and tab doesn't reliably target it. It's also a suboptimal strategy as it means I blow my taunts when I might want to save them for the next time the big turrets pop up or whatever.

If the person who is targetted kites, then no-one gets any damage, and it doesn't latch on to the healer often enough to be much of an obstacle to them. There is no enrage to worry about, this is not a DPS race, it's a survival fight. I agree CCIng is an option if playing a class that can CC droids. Interrupting isn't.

Wait the claw doesn't always go after the healer? :p Sorry but stun or no stun the claw always attacks my sawbones. It just must be my luck.

I did not know it either until a few days ago, but CC works like a charm. Sometimes Tab has issues finding it, when it is chasing me, but on those rare time iit is chasing dps or the tank I can CC it with easily. Only problem with CCing the Claw is it makes the Healers job way to easy. :)

I find it hard to reliably taunt the claw, because the fight requires people to be running all over the room, going after cores etc, and tab doesn't reliably target it.

Why would you want to target it?

Just forget normal taunt.

Run near it and AOE taunt.

Can stay targetted on whatever you were targeting before it appeared the whole time.

as it means I blow my taunts when I might want to save them for the

Blow your "taunts"? Really? As in "taunts" with an "s" for plural?

Why do you "blow" more than one?

You know you only need to use one of them.

Edited by Eternalnight

Why would you want to target it?

Just forget normal taunt.

Run near it and AOE taunt.

Can stay targetted on whatever you were targeting before it appeared the whole time.

You realise that Powertech's have a "Targeted" AOE Taunt not a "Everything in the general area" AOE Taunt? I think you need to know other classes before telling then to L2P.

That's how the jugg/guardian AOE taunt works. It's PB-AOE. I'm not sure about the sin/shadow one.

The shadow multi-target taunt is also player-based AOE. But yeah, using an AOE taunt on the claw is just not going to happen with my Powertech, who is also a tank.

I still think taunting is a suboptimal strategy. Whoever has the claw's attention has to kite, CC or take lots of damage, and neither my PT nor my shadow can CC droids. Why shouldn't that be whoever is targetted rather than adding an extra layer of complication? I like to have both of my taunts to use when the turrets come up anyway as they do massive unavoidable damage if they latch onto the wrong person and you can't get them both with one taunt.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this tale of stupidity. Anyone else ever seen someone really, really not get the mechanics of a fight? Maybe if there's someone out there even stupider it'll make me less annoyed! :p

Yes, I can beat that. KP SM through GF, I join the group at fabricator.

The plan is that I do the puzzle alone, keep myself alive (gunnery commando), and everybody else is down there. But after the fight started, one of the tanks runs up to me. Like a cat with its tail on fire, he runs and jumps around between the consoles and presses the buttons entirely randomly. At first I was very annoyed, but then I saw the challenge. First time that solving Tower of Hanoi was actually fun! Every couple of minutes I was able to fire the right thing anyway, when he got stunned by a droid or pressed the right button by chance, and the tank down there had full campaign gear and survived it.

In the following 2 fights he pulled aggro and broke ALL cc's and re-cc's, but the other tank and the healers saved the day again - not a single wipe in the entire OP.