Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Discussing Self Heal (Or our egregious lack thereof)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
Discussing Self Heal (Or our egregious lack thereof)

Strref
03.03.2016 , 12:29 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Greezt View Post
To OP: I don't understand why you want to improve sents so much. Almost everyone agrees that they're in a good place right now. Improving them would lead to nerfing them, and it would be sad to see one of the only well-balanced classes fall with the rest of them.
I agree we're in a good place for PvE (excepting conc/fury).

PvP-wise I think we need some fine tuning. We can be amazing with the right support but with limited support we collapse sometimes worse than squishier classes, simply because we're inherently exposed. It's kinda the risk of having proactive DCD's like Sent--great for PvE, good on paper for PvP but unreliable in practice.

That's why all of my proposed changes are to utilities -- there's too many useless ones, too many that need to be merged with another, too many 'required' ones that should simply be a part of the ability they're modifying. Keep in mind the actually proposed changes I've made are pretty minor.

Juithtin
03.03.2016 , 06:58 PM | #22
Just gonna chime in here cause I can.

While I agree that self heals would be nice for all three speccs, I don't think that they're necessary. And knowing BioWare's inability to balance the game, we'd see a minor buff to self heals with a major nerf to defensives. Honestly, I'd rather see Watchman's heals be brought back up to how they used to be and have the other two speccs left alone. I'm used to playing Combat/Conc. without self heals, so it wouldn't make any difference.

If they did decide to buff self heals across the board for Sentinels, I'd rather see it done in a buff to Zealous Ward rather than inherit healing to the class itself. ie; slightly higher heals and a lowered CD (c'mon, 3mins is painfully long).

That said, I think our biggest problem aside from utility bloat (which I doubt will be fixed any time soon) is being kited. I think having Cut Loose removed (or changed to a CD reduction) and having the purge baseline for Blade Blitz would be a good idea. Alternatively, have Transcendance purge roots basline for you and have Fleetfooted add the purge to your group (in addition to the speed boost, as it currently does).

tl;dr - buff watchman heals, fix zealous ward, buff anti-kite ability
Hoshou // Jedi Sentinel || Tesala // Sith Marauder
The Deathstalker Legacy
Harbinger

<One Last Stand> R.I.P Dalborra. It's been fun.

ZenX
03.19.2016 , 06:34 AM | #23
I play all classes and I would have to say that a sentinel in PvP where there is no healer is very, very vulnerable.
So you fight 3 guys, get down to 10 or 5% health, what are you meant to do, stealth off and hide for 10 minutes while it regenerates?
Only hope is WZ medpac, waiting for that to come off CD.
If it is good enough for all other classes to have some basic heals, then it should be fair that sentinel does too.
This is in WZ ofc, in PvE healer changes everything.
I would vote for some self heals.
Why not?
Click here for free 7 days of subscription http://www.swtor.com/r/DGgg2W

Nic__
03.19.2016 , 11:07 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by ZenX View Post
I play all classes and I would have to say that a sentinel in PvP where there is no healer is very, very vulnerable.
So you fight 3 guys, get down to 10 or 5% health, what are you meant to do, stealth off and hide for 10 minutes while it regenerates?
Only hope is WZ medpac, waiting for that to come off CD.
If it is good enough for all other classes to have some basic heals, then it should be fair that sentinel does too.
This is in WZ ofc, in PvE healer changes everything.
I would vote for some self heals.
Why not?
The honest answer is what people have been saying already in the thread, we are already in a very good place. We don't want to get a buff from BW that can easily make us op. Sure we will be great for awhile but eventually the nerf hammer will come down. It might take a few weeks, maybe a few months but it will come and we don't want to see a class we all enjoy smashed to pieces for a momentary burst of glory.

Also remember that any self heals we get need to be balanced around pve too, and any heals to be noticeable in PvP would come with major trade offs.

ZenX
03.20.2016 , 09:14 PM | #25
I'd be happy with a Utility point heal.
I don't think Sentinel is close to OP yet, lol, there is a bit of a buffer there to fill before that title ;p

Anyway, we all have different views.

Juithtin
03.22.2016 , 10:49 PM | #26
I'd be happy with a Utility point heal.
I don't think Sentinel is close to OP yet, lol, there is a bit of a buffer there to fill before that title ;p

Anyway, we all have different views.
We have a utility heal; Zealous Ward. Except it's awful in comparison to other classes healing abilities. If it had a higher heal or healed faster than once every second, then maybe..

And it's not's a question of Sentinel's being OP or not. Currently (aside kiting issues), Sents and Maras are performing pretty damn well. Adding on any significant self heals WOULD make the class OP. If you have self heals class-wide, it would result in a nerf to either our damage or our defensive abilities.
The Deathstalker Legacy
Harbinger

ZenX
03.23.2016 , 05:36 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Juithtin View Post
We have a utility heal; Zealous Ward. Except it's awful in comparison to other classes healing abilities. If it had a higher heal or healed faster than once every second, then maybe..

And it's not's a question of Sentinel's being OP or not. Currently (aside kiting issues), Sents and Maras are performing pretty damn well. Adding on any significant self heals WOULD make the class OP. If you have self heals class-wide, it would result in a nerf to either our damage or our defensive abilities.
Don't forget my friend, discussions like this are a matter of opinion

Juithtin
03.23.2016 , 10:47 AM | #28
Don't forget my friend, discussions like this are a matter of opinion
I understand that. And I agree that having some form of class-wide heals would be a nice addition, it would eventually lead to a nerf to either damage or current defensives. And knowing bioware's ineptness when it comes to balance, we'd get nerfed into the dirt.

Although it would be pretty funny seeing Clashing Blast and Focused Burst heal you similar to Force Leech.
The Deathstalker Legacy
Harbinger

Gogoul
09.07.2017 , 01:47 PM | #29
Give up, only Main Mara players actually know how unfair it's for all other classes have self-heal and we not.
The others who do not main Mara will always come up with some stupid reason they don't even know what are talking about to say " Oh but they have good defensive abilities ", yeah, guess what buddy, all classes have at least 1 defensive ability too =O !!!

Let's come up simple and with facts:

All classes have their self-heal.
Mara's don't, never had, not even in the early game when they were the worst class to play with until they got some buffs. So it's clear that their self-heal is missing not because they have other abilities to use, but more of a flaw on the class build up that it has carried to this day way back then. Heal is a really specific kind of ability, you can't mix defensive and self-healing and cc's and attack abilities and stealth abilities, one thing does not remove the other of the table. Therefore, saying one can't have a self-heal because he has self-defense ability does not add.

It's not ask for much, when it comes to self-heal. If you are against it, it's just because you want to hate on other class or try to make sure you have an advantage over.
It's not a matter of opinion anymore, it's a fact, when all other classes have it, you are bound to add to Warrior class as well.

At least self-heal is the one basic ability you will get from a Warrior in any friggin MMO.

Vember
09.07.2017 , 01:49 PM | #30
Vanguard/PT has less self healing than Annihilation/Watchman