Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gating Endgame Gear behind Ranked PvP and issues it brings to the game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Gating Endgame Gear behind Ranked PvP and issues it brings to the game

Wolf_Knight
06.27.2019 , 06:27 PM | #1
I am not the best at PvP but I do enjoy it, however I do the PvE and want to get the best gear so now I have to go into ranked PvP and piss off the better players when I'm not up to their standards as well as sometimes get kicked because some of them just don't want o understand that not everyone is great at PvP. I got kicked out of a ranked arena 5 seconds before the match ended, not just the round but the match and lost the completion credit for it so no progress on the monumental crystal. Also an a crafting player at 600 in all professions many of the needed exotic material are also available through ranked PvP weekly and Dailies. Is it so difficult for other players to understand that we're all here to enjoy the game but also to earn progress on crew skills and gear. Other than people working together the only other option is for EA/BioWare to not Gate progression items behind any particular type of content or at least add other options for getting those items such as maybe giving the option of getting crafting crated instead of commander crates from Heroics.

However, until or unless they do something like any of this can players please try to understand and not verbally abuse and kick players who are also just trying to enjoy the gaming experience. MMO is Massive Multiplayer Online but syas nothing of all those player being great at all content. I am very good at normal PvE, FP before they went Veteran mode, I used to run the Hard Modes a while back and can pretty well follow the tactics needed for running ops with groups. So while I and other like myself aren't great at PvP we could use the support needed to get our progression done just as you need yours to get to Valor 100 and advance through the ranks in the seasons
What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger - old saying

Or it leaves you weaker for the next, and the next and the next.....

TrixxieTriss
06.27.2019 , 06:45 PM | #2
Bioware have stated they are changing this in the 6.0 expansion due out in September.

Wolf_Knight
06.27.2019 , 07:04 PM | #3
I know what they said they are doing and I am looking forward to it. However, I am not holding my breath as I have a firm Wait and See attitude due to some of the stuff they've said over the years. Also, until then we still have the same issue of people not wanting to understand. So that's why I put this out there so people can see and think about the problem. I am not naive enough to think the issue will go away but maybe this will help lessen it until then.

TrixxieTriss
06.27.2019 , 07:27 PM | #4
I doubt they’ll gate mats in Ranked PvP again because Bolster is now going to be max lvl. It would make no sense gating pve gear or mats needed in pvp.

But as you say, it’s a wait a see. What Bioware say can often be different to what they do.

I do expect they will put some of the top tacticals as rewards in ranked and MM OPs. But they’ve categorically said these will still be available outside of that format, it will just take longer to get them through other means.

Banderal
06.28.2019 , 04:21 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolf_Knight View Post
I am not the best at PvP but I do enjoy it, however I do the PvE and want to get the best gear so now I have to go into ranked PvP...
Unless they changed something since my sub ended a couple weeks ago (yes, I can still post - so weird - this post cookie is lasting forever) why do you have to do PvP to get the monumental? You can go ossus and watch for a group doing the queen mission. I think that's the other option for the monumental?

Anyway, for the rest your post I agree. The top end gear grind and mats setup is ridiculous. Gating "gear you need for ranked" BEHIND actually playing ranked for quite a while to get it was just stupid. I hope for the sake of everyone still bothering with this game that they actually do make it reasonable in 6.0... but also like you, I'm not holding my breath.

As far as the vote kick, I would say "report them", but I know from experience that bioware does absolutely nothing about that.

Players abusing vote kick in ranked, which is blatantly against the ToS (they are actively stopping you from playing the game). And then after being reported, seeing that bioware does nothing about it. That same group of players coming into regs to "practice their arena rotation" and just ignore playing the actual game mode they are in. And that's fine because "they pay there sub". And then they don't see the hypocrisy when they get mad at you basically doing the same thing (going into ranked for reasons other than playing ranked). - that's why I quit the game. It made pretty much every part of this game I used to find fun, very un-fun.

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

Banderal
06.28.2019 , 04:23 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
But they’ve categorically said these will still be available outside of that format, it will just take longer to get them through other means.
The same is true of CMT right now right? You *can* get them by just waiting for drops from crates... it just takes "longer".

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

Wolf_Knight
06.28.2019 , 04:52 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
Unless they changed something since my sub ended a couple weeks ago (yes, I can still post - so weird - this post cookie is lasting forever) why do you have to do PvP to get the monumental? You can go ossus and watch for a group doing the queen mission. I think that's the other option for the monumental?
Unfortunately this isn't the case. The Monumental requires the Queen in Veteran Mode or 50 Ranked Solo points. Most Queen groups forming are still story if you see them at all it is mostly the WB groups for the Bot and the Bug that I see form on Ossus.

foxmob
06.28.2019 , 03:04 PM | #8
very occasionally you will see a VM pug ad on ossus. there are a lot of individuals looking for a VM grp (ha! gl thre, buddy. show me your cheevo sorta thing). the fact of the matter is that you can afk 50 ranked tokens. you have to earn the VM queen kill. it's an idiotic quest. it funnels players into ranked matches that have no business to be there and, frankly, they don't want to be there gumming up the works either.

I prefer the old way of doing it where you gate the gear behind VM and if you can't down the boss, you don't get the gear. things should be significantly different with bolster in 6.0 if it does, indeed, bolster pvp up to max level. then there will be no need whatsoever for these kind of questions in pvp.
Krack

Severith
06.29.2019 , 06:00 AM | #9
You keep saying "gate", I only see a highway with differing lanes of speed. (This is for the main hand/ off hand, specifically)

1) You could just buy them from the GTN. If you have the credits, in 10 seconds or less you can have the main hand and offhand you're looking for.

2) You could kill the Queen

3) You could do solo ranked

4) You could join a raiding guild, and have their crafters make you what you need after you've contributed enough

5) Craft them yourself

6) The "pay to win" route: Contact a crafter, and ask what Cartel Market items they'd want in exchange for their stock

It sucks that ranked is so toxic, but there are alot of other options for people who don't want to deal with it. Also keep in mind, no one "needs" 258, except for ranked players, since all pve content can be done in 248.

Lastly, wanting the best gear, and earning or deserving the best gear, are vastly different situations. Causing 50 loses in solo ranked for your teams doesn't qualify, your greed is ruining their fun, and their chances to be sucsessful. You are actually contributing to the toxicity in that situation Your team isn't going to know if that's by your intention or design, and the safe assumption in those situations that it is intentional.

The difference between regs and ranked is this: In ranked, you're expected to do your job. If you can't do your job, you're going to be fired. If I get put into a group with the same person that's been throwing matches (intention isn't provable) then I'd want to kick you too. I'd rather take the loss, then take the loss and have the person causing the loss to benefit.

LD_Little_Dragon
06.29.2019 , 08:14 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Severith View Post

The difference between regs and ranked is this: In ranked, you're expected to do your job.
In regs you're supposed to do your job too. Your job is not number farming, it's playing to win.

I have zero sympathy for ranked players whining about people ruining their games, since it's players like you and the 'regs don't matter' mindset that have ruined 8v8's.
Stealthy heals, stealthy dps, stealthy tank.