Gaming accessories

CthulhuRyleh

I have always wants to pick up a nice gaming mouse for playing mmo's but was never serious enough gamer to actually get off my lazy butt and pick one up. Now I finally am going to pick one up but have no idea what to look for. I was looking at the official TOR mouse made by razer but thought the price tag is ridiculous. The only other one I even know about is still made by Razer the "naga". Just curious if there is anything I really need to know before committing to it, and is it hard to setup?

the logitech g-400 is what I use.

Excellent gaming mouse.

5 buttons. You won't really get more unless you go for a nostronomo or something. But those are complex to use I don't see why you would want to, especially for a game like this with limited spells and such compared to wow, etc.

cheers

I just recently bought the Naga. Don't know if there were previous versions, but this is the 12 button version that's currently on the market (17 if you count the left,right,forward,back,and scroll click).

So far, the mouse has been awesome. I've used a Logitech MX-518 for years and loved it (it's still my backup). The Naga takes a bit of getting used to, but now I don't know how I'd live without it.

Quick glimpse of how I run, I re-map my Strafe keyboard keys as ability keys so I wind up using: WASD (movement obviously) Q, E, 1, 2, 3, F, X and C on the keyboard as hotkeys. I NEVER use ALT+ or CTRL+ commands. It's too cumbersome and I can't remember that many bindings.

The Naga out of the box gives you 2 modes, Basic and Advanced (it's a switch on the bottom of the mouse. Basic mode maps the 12 keys to the 1-0,-,+ keys of your keyboard. This is easy for new key-mappers to understand, but the Advanced setup gives a lot more flexibility. It uses the 1-0,-,+ of the NUMBERPAD of your keyboard and treats them separately from the other number keys.

Since SWTOR only allows 2 Bars at the bottom (hoping they adjust this soon), you have 24 abilities you can hotkey. I map the keyboard buttons I mentioned earlier (Q,E,123 etc.) to hotkeys in the left 12 buttons of the toolbars (kind of where my left hand would be). I map the right 12 buttons of the toolbars to the NUMBERPAD 1-0,_,+ of my keyboard. The Naga uses these by default so you instantly have 12 additional hotkeys available to your thumb!

I can't say I can access all 12 that quickly though. It took some time to get used to the smallish buttons on the Naga, but I mapped my primary abilities to the 4,5,6 row on the Naga (4,5,6 on the NUMBERPAD of the keyboard) and it's ridiculous. Between the keyboard and the Naga buttons that i use most often I have 14 skills available on tap without any Ctrl+ or Alt+ clicking, and my fingers barely leave the keys. Makes all the difference in PVP and hectic Flashpoints.

Sorry for the book, I'm just digging this mouse. :)

Since SWTOR only allows 2 Bars at the bottom (hoping they adjust this soon), you have 24 abilities you can hotkey. I map the keyboard buttons I mentioned earlier (Q,E,123 etc.) to hotkeys in the left 12 buttons of the toolbars (kind of where my left hand would be). I map the right 12 buttons of the toolbars to the NUMBERPAD 1-0,_,+ of my keyboard. The Naga uses these by default so you instantly have 12 additional hotkeys available to your thumb!

There's also a left and right so there's 48 abilities you can hotkey.

Depending on what you do you might not need a full slew of buttons anyways. My tanking build only requires a few skills rather than using all of the ones available. Once you develop a rotation you can probably get away with just 5-8 skills plus a few extra things. I just have a normal Logitech mouse (not at home so I don't have the model) but the side buttons are unreliable so I use them for non combat purposes. Keybind QEZXC and 1234 for my main combat stuff.

The Razer Naga is pretty damn good to be honest. It's very simple to set up and requires little effort.

Though a word of advice to you, don't buy it from the offical site if you are finding the price is too high. Very often you can find them on amazon. I got mine (new) for around 15% cheaper.

I use the Razer Naga as well and have the bottom two rows of quickslots mapped for quick access. 1-0,-,= are set by default for the top row of quickslots and I mapped the second row as Shift + 1-0,-,= so I can hit the Shift key and then click one of the mouse buttons on the side for a row 2 ability.

I find this works really well and I can access my abilities very quickly.

That's a lot of helpful advice thanks a lot!

Does anyone think there's a big benefits to using a sort of gaming keyboard?

I personally don't. I get by with mapping the keys around WASD. The only ones I have used have had the G keys on the side but it never feels comfortable when you use the keyboard to move.