Part of how to fix Ilum PVP

Miyuki

Hi.

Lets get to the meat. PVP on Ilum isnt fun.

1.8+s to 1r population on Swiftsure means zerg Ilum.

Introduce a world buff based on # of people on each side.

Make the world buff apply every 10 mins or so so it doesnt lag out the players like certain OTHER planet wide updates /cough.

Make the world buff give a simple +% increase to their current expertise (with a reasonable cap so 1v50 doesnt become godmode).

Details:

1 player unit value (pulled out of crack here): 100 units.

If there are 10 rep = 1000 units of value

If there are 30 sith = 3000 units of value

math!

sith receive a 33% loss of their current expertise rating

rep receive a bonus of 66% their current expertise rating

bam, instant balancing.... or at least more balanced....

Screw with the numbers all you like, this is just an ex.

DONT forget the cap....seriously... 1 rep with 100% expertise vs 100 sith with -100% would be just about as fun as sitting at the entrance to the rep base spamming area heals all day hoping someone brought grapple so i can actually get my daily done. /flail.

Oh.. forgot to mention that i'm already hearing a lot of apathy about ilum from my guild and alliance members. Sure it's a new game, so they are still here... for now.

Cant force the youts to not roll lightning fingers, so this is prolly the only other viable alternative.

'Course, the SW brand MMO doesnt have a good track record... here's to hoping it's fixed right.

Expertize bonus won't fix anything. Especially for fresh 50s, people Bioware should care most about. Battlemasters can handle themselves to a degree even without bonuses. It's new players who are trashed in Ilum.

Flat bonus to armor and damage should do the job much better.

And if there's only 2-3 republicans versus 20-30 imps than yes: they should run in god mode.

Oh, and to make it clear perhaps add a shield animation on players with buff, one that would change the intensity based on bonus?

Expertize bonus won't fix anything. Especially for fresh 50s, people Bioware should care most about. Battlemasters can handle themselves to a degree even without bonuses. It's new players who are trashed in Ilum.

Flat bonus to armor and damage should do the job much better.

Expertise used to give credit to those who take the time to get geared. but w/e... armor, dmg, hp, epeen... /shrug. Whatever does it for all classes.

And if there's only 2-3 republicans versus 20-30 imps than yes: they should run in god mode.

LOL... I would pay to see this...

Oh, and to make it clear perhaps add a shield animation on players with buff, one that would change the intensity based on bonus?

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.... besides, adding this wont really help the super good lag everyone has been whining about on Ilum will it?

Disagree..

No one should get a buff and debuff cause there is more of the other faction.

Thats just unlucky nothing you can do against it really, but buff someone cause they a less then other faction is bad solution.

its been done before in games i wont mention but ilum map should be each faction population capped lets say 100/100 or less if need be, to aviod any hide behind turret tatics like what is happening now you just force field both base entrances that way you must leave your base to fight in the open.

as for the expertise issue im am a pure pvp battle master player in a pve guild and am in no objection to giving up my expertise as long as they give us equal stats to the pve kit of equal standing we will end up facing.

in short make every thing equal or go down the route of other games and just simply lose my subscription because you just cannot simply get it right.

I also disagree , this is the wrong way to go about it. What needs to be fixed is the gameplay itself. People should get a max of 50 valor per kill and not 200. Then give valor ticks for capping objectives and defending them like in warhammer.

I think the best thing Bioware could do for now is try to fix lag issues with Ilum zone. Even on fast broadband and a powerful computer system the zone lags like a dying mule if there are large ops group engaging.

Bioware just need to scrap Ilum in the end. Guys, the RvR/world PvP experiment has failed. Let's just have some common sense and go smaller instanced PvP. I mean you guys no Ilum is a massive fail, the sick puppy need to be euthanised in the end, do not waste time and money on miracle cures for it.

Edited by Ewgal

I'd much rather see Ilum fixed by addressing the reasons PvP is terrible there to begin with.

The first problem is performance, and there's not much to say about that. More than 10% of the population needs to be able to get over 15 FPS there before it can be taken seriously.

Once that's fixed, the foremost issue is that there are no significant motivators to actually play the zone 'properly.' As it stands right now, it's a zerg on zerg deathmatch with the only location of any value being the center.

Personally, I'd start working toward actual goal-oriented PvP by implementing a basic tug-of-war, with major bonuses for control of the enemy base. Only two control points in play at a time, with timers after a flip. For example; The Republic controls their base and Southern Assault. The Empire controls their base, Northern Assault, and Central Assault. In a true tug of warm only Central Assault and Southern Assault would be available for capture. Lets say the Empire takes Southern. Southern would get a 15 minute timer before it could be attacked, setting up a guaranteed battle at the republic base for full zone control and a major buff (of some sort). Once the timer expire, if the republic repelled the assault, they could go on the offensive against Southern Assault, provided they weren't still on the defensive.

I'd also love to see some secondary objectives added, that aren't just in a straight line down the center of the map from one base to the other. Perhaps defensive outposts near the flight paths, which would become more valuable in a true tug-of-war. Control them to take access to the flight path for your side, or deny it to the enemy.

I'm sure there are tons of holes with this, as I just pulled it out of my .. well, I didn't sit down and brainstorm for hours. The fact remains though, even fabled open-world PvP games such as DAoC (which I played for years and adore) had at least some factors that funneled the action to one location or another, with secondary objectives to support smaller group and solo play. Until Ilum is changed, by design, into something other than a directionless, aimless zone with meaningless objectives, it's never going to rise above what it is right now.

I'm sry pvp in Ilum is fun, players just need to stop camping in base and people in republic on my server should start play more often in Ilum coze they are always less than Imps.

I can do 7000Valor in 1hour If the ops know how to play on the map as they should, how?

well you need only 10 ppl with you to take fast north or south point, while you are on the move you can easy kill that way every enemy that is roaming. if your team has problems facing them in the open, don't stay in one area till you can equalize the numbers. try to retain the capture points and seek for isolated targets (which the map is full of).

yes it needs more development and your idea is nice and it might work, nevertheless i think they should solve first the low framerate issue, coze i'm having a hard time targeting the healers :)

Disagree..

No one should get a buff and debuff cause there is more of the other faction.

Thats just unlucky nothing you can do against it really, but buff someone cause they a less then other faction is bad solution.

Thank you swHERO for a well thought out and helpful post! /lol

Debunk.

Luck has nothing to do with it. The only servers with higher than 50% republic population are PVE RP. You can count how many of those there are with one hand most likely :)

If something isnt done to bolster rep on ilum - I forsee many subs not being renewed. As i said above, I have already heard the apathy in guild and alliance chat.

Sure, many of us like a challenge - but do we like being farmed while gaining nothing for our effort except time lost? Hmmmm... /ponder.

I also disagree , this is the wrong way to go about it. What needs to be fixed is the gameplay itself. People should get a max of 50 valor per kill and not 200. Then give valor ticks for capping objectives and defending them like in warhammer.

Off topic mate. Gameplay and population disparity are 2 different topics with 2 totally different sets of possible ways to resolve it.

But FWIW - I agree with your statement (and others here) that the gameplay on Ilum does need a change.

I have fond memories of DAOC pvp to control castles in the instance zones... and then relic sieges/defenses in OWPVP zones.... good times. /cough