Sudden Drop-Off of Players?

DrBored

I guess I'm out of the loop. I started playing when the game launched, have been having a blast the whole while. The story is riveting and exciting, the choices are great, and they've done a fantastic job making it feel like the world is *yours* and not just... well, screens of text with an 'accept quest' button at the bottom. From an RPG standpoint, this game is really impressive, especially since they've managed to do 8 different stories across the map and support thousands of players upon it.

So... where is everyone? When I started off on Mind Trick there was a 20 minute wait time on weekends and it was super easy to find people for flashpoints and heroics. Now? Well, I went through Quesh without seeing a soul, and the planet before that (Sith Warrior storyline) I was unable to do a single Heroic (and I'm a tank, c'mon). And without doing the heroics, it's getting really hard to keep up with the level requirements for the planets.

So what happened that made everyone drop off? Target-Target? Macros? What am I missing that's so terrible that people can't enjoy the different stories and choices of the game?

Alright, so I've got some complaints of my own sure, and the strange thing is I'm not seeing these complaints in too many other places... Mine are..

1. Please take the Space Battles off of a track. I beat Star Fox long ago, and this space battle doesn't even have deflecting barrel rolls (in fact, I have yet to find a defensive use for barrel rolling). I'd prefer something more like the old Rogue Squadron missions, where enemies targeted you, followed you, and spawned behind asteroids at the edge of the map when x number of enemies were killed off. That was a bit more fun to me than being stuck on a track, though I will admit the track method does have its benefits. Enemies are easier to program, the dynamic of the battle is more cinematic, and you're forced to deal with certain foes... But still, I'd rather use all I know about piloting a ship in order to clear those levels.

2. More colors for lightsabers. Yup, that's it.

3. More romance options (also same-gender romance) would be nice. I understand this would require going back to the voice-acting board, but you're going to need to do that anyway if you're going to add more companions and quests, so why not throw us that little bone while you're at it? While you've done a great job making Malavai Quinn quite appealing, my heart is set on Vette and I just can't have her with my current alt :p

In all honesty, I have more praise for the game than complaints. BW has addressed a lot of things that were missing in other MMO's. I've played Champions Online, City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, EVE Online, Perfect World International, Avion, Global Agenda and more besides and not a SINGLE ONE had nearly as intensive of an immersion experience as SWTOR. The quests run smoothly around each map, the story is exciting and true to Star Wars, and the worlds and graphics are stunning wherever I go. Sometimes I think I'm on a regular forested area or plains area like in WoW, then I actually take a moment to look around. Have you guys done that? Take a second to look away from the lack of macros and turn your camera UP! Look at that fantastic sky and those incredible archways that the artists painstakingly invented!

Anyway.

Long story short, where the heck did everyone go?

I just recently started playing again I don't know what it is but maybe I got burnt out - I left a lvl 29 bounty hunter and just started drifting off to other games or just anticipating other games like soul calibur/ Skyrim/ Kingdoms of Amalur..but im starting to get back into the zone of things

I just recently started playing again I don't know what it is but maybe I got burnt out - I left a lvl 29 bounty hunter and just started drifting off to other games or just anticipating other games like soul calibur/ Skyrim/ Kingdoms of Amalur..but im starting to get back into the zone of things

lol, Mass Effect 3 will seduce me away for at least a month.

I have a feeling me and my friends are Gunna be quitting the game within a few weeks to a month after hitting 50 ( which is any day now). I just don't see any more reason to actually play other than re-rolling. Either way I'm not down with paying a sub fee to play a single player rpg no matter how good the story is.

I rly hoped the game would flourish and become a long living mmo but it seems to be following in the footsteps of WAR in terms of gameplay and utter unfinishedness (lol not a word but you get it) .

I was in love with the game for the first 15 levels or so as I made one of every class and picked a main.

But for me, the questing started getting tedious around Nar Shadda. I figured it was just a crap zone, so I bailed out of there and went to Tatooine. It was worse, not better.

So I decided to just skip questing and level in flashpoints, but it was too hard to find groups fast enough to chain run them.

This left me with PvP, but I got tired of trying to play a battleground healer with raid frames that didn't update and laggy abilities, especially when you get shafted on medals healing. And the monotony of Huttball...

At that point, I realized I just wasn't having fun.

I figure I'll just wait a couple of years and see if they get things sorted out to where I can enjoy it.

Players are just spreading out more. There's almost 1000 players online on my faction right now, which is a good number, but there's no more than 34 at any given level (other than 50), and the bulk of them (more than half) are still at 10-29. If you're at Quesh and beyond, you've outleveled the pack.

If you're at Quesh and beyond, you've outleveled the pack.

This is why SWTOR won't keep high subscription numbers. Game is so solo-focused that there's no drive to get to end-game which simply pushes people out of the game because all of the snails are RP walking through the streets and otherwise spending ridiculous amounts of time doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING such that they can't get a toon to 50 in four weeks.

This is why SWTOR won't keep high subscription numbers. Game is so solo-focused that there's no drive to get to end-game which simply pushes people out of the game because all of the snails are RP walking through the streets and otherwise spending ridiculous amounts of time doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING such that they can't get a toon to 50 in four weeks.

you are rude, and i don't like ppl that are rude.

Find a group of like-minded individuals and let people enjoy the game how they want. No need to be rude.

I find it adorable that people are bemoaning the lack of powerleveling to max level when there's nothing to do at max level.

God Forbid people enjoy the game.

Brief history of modern MMOs.

1. Game is slammed at release, people want to try the new thing and are happy to pay box price at a chance the game is going to fix some problem in their real lives.

2. People play for the first month and decide for a variety of reasons that they don't want to keep playing.

3. Subs drop by 3/4 the numbers of launch.

4. MMO continues on for a number of years, still continuing to make a decent profit.

5. New MMO comes out.

6. /repeat.

I find it adorable that people are bemoaning the lack of powerleveling to max level when there's nothing to do at max level.

God Forbid people enjoy the game.

There's no such thing as power leveling if you're been playing the game for 3-4 weeks. It doesn't take 200 hours to reach level 50. It doesn't even take 60.

Only a fool would claim people are power leveling if they're level 50 towards the end of the first 30 days.

You wanna see a sudden drop in players?

Just wait till Feb 1 when Diablo 3 comes out.

I feel almost bad for BW.

Diablo 3 is coming out Feb 1? Blizzard has really failed at hyping that game up. I guess they're relying on all the WoW kiddies to go out and buy it.

Brief history of modern MMOs.

1. Game is slammed at release, people want to try the new thing and are happy to pay box price at a chance the game is going to fix some problem in their real lives.

2. People play for the first month and decide for a variety of reasons that they don't want to keep playing.

3. Subs drop by 3/4 the numbers of launch.

4. MMO continues on for a number of years, still continuing to make a decent profit.

5. New MMO comes out.

6. /repeat.

I've never played an MMO before this but I love BioWare and Star Wars and I am completely bored now, If this type of thing is what all this MMO fuss is about I can't say I've missed anything, that people can get so enamored in something like this is beyond me.