Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

WHY did Bioware nerf the companions so much?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
WHY did Bioware nerf the companions so much?

Slowpokeking
11.17.2019 , 12:57 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Batwer View Post
How about just learning how to handle your class?
SERIOUSLY?
Who are you to judge me about handling my class?

Who are you to care about how others play the game?

Who are you to think others don't know how to play their classes?

Who are you?

Are you the game's designer?

Quote:
If you want to play a game where you only have to fart so the opponent falls over, then play another game. There are games, all you have to do is press a button and the fight ends automatically.
If you want to play a hardcore game there are tons of other choices as well. WHY didn't you go for it?

Who are you to tell others how to play?

Good MMO gives every player their ways to enjoy the game. Who are you to stop others?

Quote:
I don't understand the problem. Not really. Your just have to take care a little bit more than before. The red circles are evil ones, your should always have known. Also that you should not pull everything is clear.
That should be basic requirements, even someone who has never played realizes that at some point.

So what's the problem?

Is it because the companion does not flatten everything while you're sitting on the loo.

So, here I'll jump out, otherwise I'll say something for what I could be banned.
Again, who are you to teach others how to play? Different ppl have different style of game. Many ppl got tired of real life and just want to have some fun and it causes no harm to others.

Who are you to take out their fun? This is why elitists' faces are so ugly.
http://www.swtor.com/r/5trH8B

My Referral Code.

jstankaroslo
11.17.2019 , 01:01 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by _NovaBlast_ View Post
Can you easily solo heroics ?
Can you easily solo vet flashpoint ?
Heroics are for Heroes.
Vet FPs are for Veterans

none of these are meant to be easily done solo

Slowpokeking
11.17.2019 , 01:07 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by jstankaroslo View Post
Heroics are for Heroes.
Vet FPs are for Veterans

Not really, most of the heroics were basically solo now.

It was meant to be hard in vanilla for low level players, it's mostly grind now because otherwise there will be few ppl doing it.

My Referral Code.

RameiArashi
11.17.2019 , 01:16 PM | #104
I used to enjoy passing my old armor to my companions.
There wasn't anything wrong with companions having on skill set and being limited to tank/dps, healer/dps or just dps. Or having different gathering and crafting skills.

HK-51 was equinie in it had two primary attributes instead of one.
Treek was the beast healer. Then they changed companions and screwned all the people who bought Treek.

Somewhere along they line they brook HK-51 and Treek so they don't gain levels from conversations.

Having companions actually go down in affection if they didn't like your choices gave your choices consequences. I remember really making Corso mad by noting giving him his blasters. If wanted the lost affection back you just bought some gifts. Then they changed it to Influence and made all the attempts to get companions to 10 affection meaningess since they raised the influence cap to 50.

Darev
11.17.2019 , 01:32 PM | #105
Regarding the thread title, there was a post by Eric (I think it was Eric) describing the change as not a "nerf" but rather altering the CD on the companions. Regardless of how they wanted to sell it, the end result is that it nerfed how companions work.

Regarding the game and how "easy" it's been, I've played since the start of the game.
Even at the start, when you had to keep your companions geared, it was never "HARD"
During the first couple of years I think the one PVE fight I had fun doing the class story for my Sorc on Corellia healing Khem. He aggro'd WAY too many mobs and I had to do more than just keep him healed up.
For someone who didn't really know how to play the different classes, it was fun, and exciting and 100% NOT how I want my normal game play.

I WANT to be able to "face roll" the story. If I'm playing just to see the story, I don't want to have to think about much. I want to watch the movie that tells the story of my character and the combat just gets in the way. I could so that via youtube and it would almost be the same thing.

Bioware fed into that desire with making the companions OP
Bioware fed into that desire by making many flashpoints have a story mode with the "god droid" that you had as a 2nd companion.

Now the pendulum is swinging back the other way.
They even nerfed how the "god droid" works in groups...that seemed to go pretty much unnoticed by these forums.
You USED to be able to call a god droid if you were grouped in the story mode for a SM flashpoint. Everyone could. You had 4 players, you could have 4 GDs
Now only the instance owner can call the GD...well, I haven't tested since 6.0, so I don't know if it's the same.

Bottom line, OP, we had the game on super easy mode for a few years.
If it bothers you that much, it's time to take a break. Unsub for awhile.
I remember people would unsub around expansions and radical changes for months while the devs worked out the bugs because they didn't want to deal with the bugs and uncertainty.

I am beginning to think that's not a bad way to go.
If you choose to fight in the sewer you can no longer claim to have the moral high ground.

Oreget
11.17.2019 , 01:44 PM | #106
I wish they return companions to be op but thats not gonna happen.

Yria
11.17.2019 , 01:46 PM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
What do you mean intended? Good games all offer freedom
Please name one MMO where you can get through content by doing... whatever it is you are doing that apparently isn't enough to survive solo content in SWTOR. Because I'm struggling to think of any. WoW? Nuh, there is plenty of difficult content, that game isn't solo friendly at all. Even in low level zones you can get your teeth smashed in sometimes thanks to level sync. ESO? Easier, but still more difficult than SWTOR in its current state. Neverwinter? Haven't played it in long while, but I don't recall it being this easy. So what are you basing your idea of a good game (MMO game, mind) on, exactly?
Then enjoy your current play, you have your option to do so, why being lazy?
I am enjoying it right now, thank you very much. You are the one complaining about how things are at the moment.

Tsillah
11.17.2019 , 01:59 PM | #108
They are, some of them weren't because the lack of resources to fix.

It was, which is why it further got easier for this reason.
You're just making that up because it suits your bias. And furthermore new FPs have also seen a clear increase in difficulty compared to the previous ones and that's not because of a lack of resources. You're clutching at straws here and the reason why is clear.
Yes, still avoiding the question.
I already answered the question. If you keep ignoring my answers that's not my fault.
Referral link for a week sub and some goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/jMVTyB

Slowpokeking
11.17.2019 , 02:06 PM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by Yria View Post
Please name one MMO where you can get through content by doing... whatever it is you are doing that apparently isn't enough to survive solo content in SWTOR. Because I'm struggling to think of any. WoW? Nuh, there is plenty of difficult content, that game isn't solo friendly at all. Even in low level zones you can get your teeth smashed in sometimes thanks to level sync. ESO? Easier, but still more difficult than SWTOR in its current state. Neverwinter? Haven't played it in long while, but I don't recall it being this easy. So what are you basing your idea of a good game (MMO game, mind) on, exactly?
Why does it matter to you? Good MMO let all kind of ppl have their fun. You have your challenging content and totally free to make it difficulty with your own choice.

I play SWTOR because it gives us a lot of freedom to solo content. And I hate the level sync to all the ops, few games keep that old ops still up to hardcore players. It's not like casual players are the only one having benefit.

Quote:
I am enjoying it right now, thank you very much. You are the one complaining about how things are at the moment.
Because I don't have a choice like you. I just beat the boss but I don't think it should have been what story mode fp is about.

My Referral Code.

Tsillah
11.17.2019 , 02:06 PM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by jstankaroslo View Post
Heroics are for Heroes.
Vet FPs are for Veterans

To further specify:
Heroics are 2+ and therefore are intended for groups of 2 or more. Normal quests are not marked for 2+ but are intended for you and your companion, so no, the 2 is not you and your companion but 2 players. Otherwise why mark them as 2+?

Veteran FPs are not for Veterans but is the easy mode for groups. It was called tactical mode. Tactical mode was based on Story Mode FPs that were made role-neutral. However, that definition is shaky at best because not all FPs are as easily done with a healer for example and you don't want a group with 2 healers for example because it takes too long.

Bottom line is that the naming of modes or difficulties is a complete mess in SWTOR. That's part of the problem.

But you are quite right that neither is intended to be easy solo, although I do find Heroics easy personally but I can understand not everybody feels that way.
Referral link for a week sub and some goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/jMVTyB