Time to be able to send out 6 companions on missions

LegoUniverseBC

I can't see the problem of making players responsible for choosing sending all 6 companions we all do have and at the same time play content that "requires" an active companion. The ship droid is there. Just as useful as any other companion for crafting and even more with the droid legacy parts.

If you're raiding, you don't need a companion. If you're doing a flashpoint, don't need a companion. If you're decorating, don't a companion. If you're pvping, don't need a companion.

Wanna do dailes and send them all 6 ? Well, choose what's more important. That sixth minion on a crew mission or one at your side helping with the dailies. And if it is THAT important doing dailes on regular basis with a companion and sending 6 on missions, work to get one of the two extra ones everybody can get.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you know that all the content, even solo content is designed with having a companion in mind....having none at all will make it more difficult then it really needs to be.

While i do like the idea of being able to send more companions out, i don't see it happening.

You're basing your opinion on the assumption that everyone runs solo content on their characters. Some of mine I simply don't bother running content on and have them purely for gathering / crafting.

So 6 would be a welcome increase.

I can't see the problem of making players responsible for choosing sending all 6 companions we all do have and at the same time play content that "requires" an active companion. The ship droid is there. Just as useful as any other companion for crafting and even more with the droid legacy parts.

If you're raiding, you don't need a companion. If you're doing a flashpoint, don't need a companion. If you're decorating, don't a companion. If you're pvping, don't need a companion.

Wanna do dailes and send them all 6 ? Well, choose what's more important. That sixth minion on a crew mission or one at your side helping with the dailies. And if it is THAT important doing dailes on regular basis with a companion and sending 6 on missions, work to get one of the two extra ones everybody can get.

OK point conceded. The choice of whether to send 1 to 5 or 6 companions should be up to the player.

but you must also concede that eartharioch's point of:

The fact that it would likely lead to people doing more work just to (at best) break even with where they are currently is why people shouldn't want the feature.

...is also a valid one. Because everyone would have the same advantage of being able to send six companions, there is no advantage because everyone can send six companions. So I ask the question, what is the point?

Is the only point of allowing a sixth companion to be sent on missions or crafting just because we have them and they are idle right now and some players cannot accept idle companions?

Because everyone would have the same advantage of being able to send six companions, there is no advantage because everyone can send six companions. So I ask the question, what is the point?

Is the only point of allowing a sixth companion to be sent on missions or crafting just because we have them and they are idle right now and some players cannot accept idle companions?

I don't see it as an advantage (over other players). Doesn't have to be a matter of advantage. Only a convenience you may or may not use of.

Because yes, everybody gets 6 companions by simply playing the story. And everybody can get 2 more with some extra work. There is no advantage to be had.

Five companions max was balanced around 6 different grade of crew missions of different types.

After launch, with the implementation of augment tables, a new type of mats was created that is exclusively attained by companions (sliced tech missions). So these 5 companions had more stuff to get than they originally did.

With 2.0, another grade of missions and mats to farm, grade 9. Very soon, with 3.0, yet another.

If anything, we are lacking labor force compared to when the game was launched

Like I said, I'm fine either way, 5 max or 6, since I rarely get to send 5 on missions I want, let alone 6 if it was possible. But I'm certainly not against it.

I don't see it as an advantage (over other players). Doesn't have to be a matter of advantage. Only a convenience you may or may not use of.

Because yes, everybody gets 6 companions by simply playing the story. And everybody can get 2 more with some extra work. There is no advantage to be had.

Five companions max was balanced around 6 different grade of crew missions of different types.

After launch, with the implementation of augment tables, a new type of mats was created that is exclusively attained by companions (sliced tech missions). So these 5 companions had more stuff to get than they originally did.

With 2.0, another grade of missions and mats to farm, grade 9. Very soon, with 3.0, yet another.

If anything, we are lacking labor force compared to when the game was launched

Like I said, I'm fine either way, 5 max or 6, since I rarely get to send 5 on missions I want, let alone 6 if it was possible. But I'm certainly not against it.

OK, now I understand where you are coming from. Thank you. And with GSH this issue is more apparent than ever.

And, you might find it surprising, but your last statement fits me as well. I am just coming at it from the other side. I leave plenty of good missions on the table as it were. I am just not concerned about it. Because as I see it, the lack of ability to run additional missions creates opportunities for all players to profit.

Because as I see it, the lack of ability to run additional missions creates opportunities for all players to profit.

Except there is no advantage to having the 5 now as there would be 6 if it came to be as you and earth mentioned above. Everyone can do it, everyone can make the same profit thus noone makes any more profit than anyone else by any "unfair" means. Thus if it went to 6 and that profit was reduced then that would apply for everyone. Also the less money being made ideally the cheaper everything on the market would have to become to be able to be purchased by the same level of wealth that said items may fit into and be purchased by now.

If the average wealth now was say 50 million and it reduced to 20 million there is no harm done as the credits themselves have more inherent value due to the increased scarcity of credits. So an item selling now for 10 million would more likely sell for 6 million in the above scenario or possibly even cheaper since the hypercrate/cartel pack market supply wouldn't reduce as it's supplied by a different currency to credits that is independent of credits.

tldr; So far as I see it and the vibe of this thread is that adding a 6th companion to run missions/craft would increase QoL for the game. It would have no observable downside that is not outside the realms of player choice ( do I use a companion to run this content or send all 6 out, same problem you face during 75+% of the single content anyway thus far ).

Except there is no advantage to having the 5 now as there would be 6 if it came to be as you and earth mentioned above. Everyone can do it, everyone can make the same profit thus noone makes any more profit than anyone else by any "unfair" means. Thus if it went to 6 and that profit was reduced then that would apply for everyone. Also the less money being made ideally the cheaper everything on the market would have to become to be able to be purchased by the same level of wealth that said items may fit into and be purchased by now.

If the average wealth now was say 50 million and it reduced to 20 million there is no harm done as the credits themselves have more inherent value due to the increased scarcity of credits. So an item selling now for 10 million would more likely sell for 6 million in the above scenario or possibly even cheaper since the hypercrate/cartel pack market supply wouldn't reduce as it's supplied by a different currency to credits that is independent of credits.

tldr; So far as I see it and the vibe of this thread is that adding a 6th companion to run missions/craft would increase QoL for the game. It would have no observable downside that is not outside the realms of player choice ( do I use a companion to run this content or send all 6 out, same problem you face during 75+% of the single content anyway thus far ).

I gotta be honest here, I feel like I am back on the WoW forums pre-dual spec, railing against that idea. And when it was released, I had the 5k gold to spend on it for my main, so I did, and it worked out for the best (long story short: I went from my guild's most reliable healers (as a holy priest), to being one of my guild's most reliable DPS (as a shadow priest), with the ability to play either role as needed). Even in SWTOR, I have a couple of characters that I (for all intents and purposes) dual spec.

So, while still I do not think it is a good idea and something tells me it will never happen for a myriad of reasons, I am done "railing against" the sixth companion mission option.

let me be clear, I am NOT convinced this is a good idea, but in writing a response to the above (and erasing it/starting over many times), I have concluded it is not as bad an idea as I had thought.

I am not hopeful it will ever happen, but I am now in "wait and see" mode.

• 1 month later...