need better incentive for open world pvp and more open world pvp in general

publicenemies

Why is it such a rare thing for open world pvp to occur? We dont need anymore warzones or instanced pvp. You should just get rid of ranked most of the time you cant que for it anyways and put the ranked rewards towards open world pvp. For instance on lokath there shoulf be rewards for raiding the emp/rep starting bases and why in the hell is 95% of "conquest" pve based lol. I know theres server issues like ilum back in the day but star wars is about large scale pvp fights not huttbal or small scale instanced pvp.

Whenever i hear devs talk about open world pvp they say "organic" we want organic pvp to happen how about "objective" based pvp instead of oh look theres someone questing lets gank them and call that open world pvp.

You have this huge lokath area and no ones pvping there daily pretty sad id love to raid the rep base daily and have a huge fight daily instead its just people looking for pvs dailys.

World PvP is dead. - Unless you organise something yourself.

PvP instances are dead. - only mats farmers / dailies farmers who don't want competition, go there.

There is no incentive. There is no way the engine can handle more than about 20- or 30 people in the same space fighting all at one go.

They never really supported OW PvP - A couple of special snowflakes complained bitterly that they got attacked when flagging was a thing - and it died. Spontaneous OW PvP almost never happens, even if you go looking for it.

Your best bet is to gather a few like-minded individuals and slug it out. - OR organise a big event and invite people to participate - with the PvP achieves as an incentive. ( Stroke My Wookie guild do so on Darth Malgus every now and again) -

Waiting for BioWare to fix this ( or anything really) an exercise in futility.

You have this huge lokath area and no ones pvping there daily pretty sad id love to raid the rep base daily and have a huge fight daily instead its just people looking for pvs dailys.

Iokath was the last gasp attempt at OWPvP and it failed miserably. They advertised it as an OWPvP area where players could switch sides; a JK could side with the Empire, a BH could side with the Republic etc. And nothing came of it. In fact players stayed away because of OWPvP.

The problem is that players only want OWPvP when it is convenient for them and all too often when it is convenient for one or a few, it is inconvenient for everyone else.

Even Objective based PvP gets old after a while. Blizzard did it for a few expansions in WoW, and it got some interest early, but then the benefits winning offered quickly became irrelevant.

Iokath was the last gasp attempt at OWPvP and it failed miserably. They advertised it as an OWPvP area where players could switch sides; a JK could side with the Empire, a BH could side with the Republic etc. And nothing came of it. In fact players stayed away because of OWPvP.

The problem is that players only want OWPvP when it is convenient for them and all too often when it is convenient for one or a few, it is inconvenient for everyone else.

Even Objective based PvP gets old after a while. Blizzard did it for a few expansions in WoW, and it got some interest early, but then the benefits winning offered quickly became irrelevant.

I don't think players stayed away because of OWPVP. Remember, players could still pick to not play in the PvP instance. Players stayed away (at least I did) because OWPVP is a lag fest with more than a few people, and there are basically no rewards given for doing so. Ya it's fun for a bit, but if there is no reason to keep coming back, the players doing it for a carrot won't do it, and the hardcore pvpers won't because there aren't enough people there to make it fun.

As someone who loves open world PvP myself, give it up. These guys are barely keeping the lights on and the games basic engine cannot handle large scale open world PvP. This dream died with Ilum a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

The worst thing Bioware did was turn off the flagging. I can see the value of an instance on a pvp server, if there was such a thing and active. But they are pointless on a pve server.

Anyone who wants to open world pvp could still flag, only those who wanted to pvp would flag, which is what I used to do.

I now exclusively run any pve content I have to in the pvp instances and I’ve never once seen another person.

The only good thing is I never have to wait for mobs or objects to respawn. It’s a total solo experience, which is fine for me as I just want to get any done as fast as possible because pve bores the crap out of me now.

As someone who loves open world PvP myself, give it up. These guys are barely keeping the lights on and the games basic engine cannot handle large scale open world PvP. This dream died with Ilum a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Yeah, the engine killed it at launch and it’s never recovered even though many have tried. Even arranged Sessions turn into a lag fest if too many people turn up, like 20 :(

Edited by TrixxieTriss

The worst thing Bioware did was turn off the flagging. I can see the value of an instance on a pvp server, if there was such a thing and active. But they are pointless on a pve server.

Anyone who wants to open world pvp could still flag, only those who wanted to pvp would flag, which is what I used to do.

I now exclusively run any pve content I have to in the pvp instances and I’ve never once seen another person.

The only good thing is I never have to wait for mobs or objects to respawn. It’s a total solo experience, which is fine for me as I just want to get any done as fast as possible because pve bores the crap out of me now.

And the problem with that before is there were some pvp players that would stealth and jump into someone's aoe. that happened to me when I was out doing my missions and even though I would watch for others when I did my AOE, there were those that would stealth that I couldn't see that would do it. Sure it was supposed to be fix but yet it still happen and we know how well they fix bugs so this was their way of making sure it didn't happen to those that didn't want to pvp.

Just for the record: I played on a pve server where that shouldn't have happened.

Edited by casirabit

And the problem with that before is there were some pvp players that would stealth and jump into someone's aoe. that happened to me when I was out doing my missions and even though I would watch for others when I did my AOE, there were those that would stealth that I couldn't see that would do it. Sure it was supposed to be fix but yet it still happen and we know how well they fix bugs so this was their way of making sure it didn't happen to those that didn't want to pvp.

Just for the record: I played on a pve server where that shouldn't have happened.

Hi Casi, welcome to the pvp section ;)

Yes, that was an issue, but an easy fix. Bioware could have easily changed it so you had to “already” be flagged to have any interaction with other flagged players. It was suggested when this problem raised its ugly head.

It wasn’t a bug, it was designed that way and they never implemented a fix so that flagged players couldn’t interact with non flagged ones. That would have stopped that sort of behaviour in its tracks.

But as per usual, they ignored it and created divisions between communities for years as this continued.

On a side note, I had just as many pve raiders try to jump me when I was flagged and they weren’t. They expected an easy kill because of their much higher pve gear lvl, they didn’t realise I had pvp gear on and so did my companion. It often ended badly for them.

So there were just as many pve people willing to jump flagged people without flagging first. My solution would have been an elegant fix, no griefing against pve from pvp nubs and no surprise attacks for a bunch of pve guys who see someone flagged as easy meat.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

... So there were just as many pve people willing to jump flagged people without flagging first...

I love this particular argument for two reasons.

The first is that It never was about PVP or PVE players doing it. It was about players exploiting the flagging system to grief other players regardless of whether they were PVP or PVE.

The second is that someone out doing their dailies generally was not going to be equipped to deal with a fully equipped PVP player whereas a flagged PVP player is expecting trouble and is going to be geared to deal with it. Doing away with Expertise leveled the playing field somewhat but PVP players were generally better equipped to deal with "greifing" than their PVE counterparts. Which is I suppose why they generally did not see "griefing" as an issue. Once again a small number of bad apples ruined it for the rest.

But as per usual, they ignored it and created divisions between communities for years as this continued.

As true as that often is, in this case it's not fair, as BW actually did a lot to try and prevent involuntary flagging.

Snowballs and tinsel bombs saw several fixes (enemies could flag you by throwing them at you, once that was fixed you could still flag yourself by throwing at flagged players (friend and enemy) until that was fixed as well.

When healers refused to heal flagged players in ops and flashpoints, BW changed it so healing a flagged player no longer flagged you while in a PVE instance.

They also did quite a few changes to targeting:

- Yellow is no longer hit by AOE when there is a red in the area

- Autotarget no longer jumps from last red to yellow

- You can no longer tab-target from red to yellow

What they could not fix was a stealther simply sitting still, hoping you continue your AOE after the last mob died :rolleyes:

They also never prevented companion AOE heals from healing flagged friends.

It was a lost cause. As soon as BW plugged one gap, the "OWPVP enthusiasts" found a way to open another one.

Edited by Mubrak

There is acutally a very healthy amount of OWPVP on Satele Shan during the Illum event. You'll generally find 6-8 players both Imp and Pub fighting while waiting inbetween pops. And during prime time hours, there will typically be be 14-20 players. Edited by septru

As true as that often is, in this case it's not fair, as BW actually did a lot to try and prevent involuntary flagging.

Snowballs and tinsel bombs saw several fixes (enemies could flag you by throwing them at you, once that was fixed you could still flag yourself by throwing at flagged players (friend and enemy) until that was fixed as well.

When healers refused to heal flagged players in ops and flashpoints, BW changed it so healing a flagged player no longer flagged you while in a PVE instance.

They also did quite a few changes to targeting:

- Yellow is no longer hit by AOE when there is a red in the area

- Autotarget no longer jumps from last red to yellow

- You can no longer tab-target from red to yellow

What they could not fix was a stealther simply sitting still, hoping you continue your AOE after the last mob died :rolleyes:

They also never prevented companion AOE heals from healing flagged friends.

It was a lost cause. As soon as BW plugged one gap, the "OWPVP enthusiasts" found a way to open another one.

That wasn’t a fix, it was abandaid that kept falling off because it was an exploit that kept letting the stealths do that.

Like I said the easiest fix was to prevent any interaction what so ever between flagged and non flagged player and they just didn’t want to do that because they liked the idea that a no flagged person should be able to jump a flagged person with zero warning.

So no, in my opinion, they never tried to fix the problem or listen to what the actual problems was.

There is acutally a very healthy amount of OWPVP on Satele Shan during the Illum event. You'll generally find 6-8 players both Imp and Pub fighting while waiting inbetween pops. And during prime time hours, there will typically be be 14-20 players.

Babe, that is not healthy, lol, that’s sad. Remember when the illum event first started? Even 18 months later in the following events we had multiple instances of people doing OWPVP or 20+ players in each one,

I love this particular argument for two reasons.

The first is that It never was about PVP or PVE players doing it. It was about players exploiting the flagging system to grief other players regardless of whether they were PVP or PVE.

The second is that someone out doing their dailies generally was not going to be equipped to deal with a fully equipped PVP player whereas a flagged PVP player is expecting trouble and is going to be geared to deal with it. Doing away with Expertise leveled the playing field somewhat but PVP players were generally better equipped to deal with "greifing" than their PVE counterparts. Which is I suppose why they generally did not see "griefing" as an issue. Once again a small number of bad apples ruined it for the rest.

I have to say, I didn’t mind getting jumped by pvers that much. Actually I rather enjoyed it, as long as there weren’t more than 3-4.

When I was on my Sorc, I would have Xallek fully decked out in ranked dps gear and while they we’re targeting me, I set him to focus one and we’d blow them apart and move onto the next. They never considered targeting Xalek first.

When on my Sin, I would farm mats on a Yavin completely unstealthed to encourage getting pve ganked. Once again I had Xalek and we would have fun.

I can’t count how many times I got called a hacker because they had epic gear and all they thought I had was low pve gear.

I didn’t win every fight if there were a bunch. But I never once lost to pve guys in 1v2 and hardly ever a 1v3 on my inquisitors (which is what I was using to farm mats).

On a side note. I really miss those section x skirmishes we used to have. Someone would come to the fleet and say “it’s on”.,. The reps are attacking our base. Then we’d jump to section x and attack and get into their base. Then they’d get reinforcements and push us back to the world boss. Then we’d pull the boss into the fight and run.

So much fun, kill, die, respawn, hide, ambush... it’s what pvp should be about. Those fights reminded me so much of some of the WoW battle grounds, where you would have to capture the other teams base and you had a long way to run to get back, but you could get ambushed or run into resistance.

That’s my idea of real open world pvp.

First of all the instances can't handle tons of players fighting each other, all at once. I believe a guild, who had an event on Iokath displayed that. There was massive lag.

Plus IDK why people are waiting on BW to do anything about OWPVP. Plan your own stuff and play. Thats the point of MMO.