Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Give Consulars the option to use the old Project animation---and make ourselves worse

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Give Consulars the option to use the old Project animation---and make ourselves worse

Cotlu-Hunlon
04.03.2020 , 03:20 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by RikuvonDrake View Post
the simplest solution would be to not introduce this mechanic, lots of time spent changing an old ability for a very very tiny portion of the player base for a rarely used ability in a limited amount of possible situations. there is some program u can use to adjust ability animation, some people have used it to get the old ravage animation back for example, why don't you just use that

this game has enough ability bloat already, not seeing the point of making it even worse
Ability bloat? It certainly does not, and in no way it could be said it does now compared the base game - there were all the PvE moves for stunned mobs they used to have that disappeared, the Slice Droid abilities, lots of things they just took out without replacement like Unload for PT, Flamethrower on Merc, Telekinetic Throw + Mind Crush for Shadows, the stealth boost abilities (Blackout) etc...
My ability bars are comparatively empty compared to what they used to look like.

What is the program for old animations, I haven't come across this before. Sounds interesting..

The Nostalgia Thread - Come live in December 2011 with me

RikuvonDrake
04.03.2020 , 03:33 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Cotlu-Hunlon View Post
Ability bloat? It certainly does not, and in no way it could be said it does now compared the base game - there were all the PvE moves for stunned mobs they used to have that disappeared, the Slice Droid abilities, lots of things they just took out without replacement like Unload for PT, Flamethrower on Merc, Telekinetic Throw + Mind Crush for Shadows, the stealth boost abilities (Blackout) etc...
My ability bars are comparatively empty compared to what they used to look like.

What is the program for old animations, I haven't come across this before. Sounds interesting..
Yes, there is ability bloat, why do you think that in each of the last three expansions there has been one or two abilities removed from each class when that class has gained a new ability? That's most likely the key reason this suggestion won't ever become a thing ingame, the developers have a different idea than you in regards to how many abilities is too many.

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

Saga - FriendlyFire - Mango

Cotlu-Hunlon
04.03.2020 , 04:12 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by RikuvonDrake View Post
Yes, there is ability bloat, why do you think that in each of the last three expansions there has been one or two abilities removed from each class when that class has gained a new ability? That's most likely the key reason this suggestion won't ever become a thing ingame, the developers have a different idea than you in regards to how many abilities is too many.
Well even if you think that, which is fine - it's understandably subjective what counts as bloat - the idea I originally proposed was simply a toggle in the settings menu somewhere, and wouldn't change the number of abilities at all, and not affect you in the slightlest.

What was that animation change tool then?

Aulus_Claudius
04.03.2020 , 04:48 PM | #24
I miss the old Project, but I miss having Project at all on my burst Shadow. If they're going to give us a toggle, please allow toggling of animations between "base" and "spec-specific" for any ability replaced by a spec. That energy ball taking the place of Project and Shock really reduced that spec's appeal for me optically, even though I still play it now and again because it's fun anyway.

Cotlu-Hunlon
04.05.2020 , 06:31 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Aulus_Claudius View Post
I miss the old Project, but I miss having Project at all on my burst Shadow. If they're going to give us a toggle, please allow toggling of animations between "base" and "spec-specific" for any ability replaced by a spec. That energy ball taking the place of Project and Shock really reduced that spec's appeal for me optically, even though I still play it now and again because it's fun anyway.

Yes - this is definitely something I've been desiring too...
That upheaval Project delayed burst looked and felt so good, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oalB2bBRas for a reminder

And as said before, the Series of Shots animation is so much better than Penetrating Blasts.

Valin_Marr
04.05.2020 , 09:48 AM | #26
I liked the old project would be great to have it back. It's why I got rid of my sages. Also, bring ravage back why do npc's still use the ravage animation and it 's not a problem for them? Revan int he foundry still uses master strike and it even says while he does it. Unless they changed these which i'm sure they didn't. Seeing Revan do Master strike is why I started playing Guardian in the first place.

Phazonfreak
04.05.2020 , 11:20 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Valin_Marr View Post
Also, bring ravage back why do npc's still use the ravage animation and it 's not a problem for them?
Because they are not fighting in PvP warzones/arenas and therefore cannot be exploited by enemy players. Like explained earlier in this thread, they did not change the animations on a whim but because of exploitable bugs in Endgame PvE and especially PvP.

Cotlu-Hunlon
04.05.2020 , 12:50 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Phazonfreak View Post
Because they are not fighting in PvP warzones/arenas and therefore cannot be exploited by enemy players. Like explained earlier in this thread, they did not change the animations on a whim but because of exploitable bugs in Endgame PvE and especially PvP.
What bugs?

They changed Master Strike because most melees are really hindered by a 3s stationary channel in boss mechanics, avoiding AoE and PvP.
They changed Project to match the speed of Shock, which had no delay, whereas you could see the Project animation and use Resilience before it reached you and avoid it. That's it. There's no bugs, it was purely to speed it up.

RowanThursday
04.06.2020 , 03:33 AM | #29
I still feel that giving us the optional alternative abilities via Cartel is the best way forward.

Yes, there are always those who will angrily step into these threads and argue that the abilities were changed for good reasons, etc, important to their content... and they were.

Nobody is saying "I want to take away your instant project so that a sorcerer has an advantage over you in PVP, so that I have a cooler visual effect."

We're saying that we think enough of us liked the older, more iconic visual abilities for various classes for it to be worth Bioware giving them to us as an option - and we're willing to pay for it.

Consider it from another angle, rather than just the "but pugs might use the wrong skill" panic - those assets are already made and in game. We're offering to let Bioware monetise them. That could be money toward more endgame content for you.
"... Pointless meatbag bickering."
-- HK-55

Phazonfreak
04.06.2020 , 04:36 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Cotlu-Hunlon View Post
What bugs?

They changed Master Strike because most melees are really hindered by a 3s stationary channel in boss mechanics, avoiding AoE and PvP.
They changed Project to match the speed of Shock, which had no delay, whereas you could see the Project animation and use Resilience before it reached you and avoid it. That's it. There's no bugs, it was purely to speed it up.
That's exactly it, that you were able to dodge the damage and effect which was supposed to be instant compared to the inquisitor's shock. How is this not a bug?
And you could exploit Master Strike/Ravage in PvP which made the one using it stuck in the animation while not doing any damage. It was like an uninterruptable self-inflicted 3 second stun, so a bug and the cause for a lot of anger in warzones.

It's different from the 3 second channel of the commandos and mercenaries for example. They added a utility point to make it useable while moving not because of a bug since you were still able to cancel it, but to allow for greater mobility while using abilities as a choice that you can make.