Returning player with crafting questions

Quezecotl

Good morning everyone.

I'm returning to the game after like an 8 year break, so I know I'm way out of the loop on a lot of things.

I decided to stake my claim on the galaxy as a Sith Juggernaut and am now looking for tips on what crew skills would be good for me.

I do have a 50 Smullger and a 46 Jedi counselor that I haven't touched in 8 years (and won't until I get my bearings again), so essentially, I'm starting from scratch and am looking for any tips you might have.

I've been leaning towards biochem for the survivability it affords me, but I've been seeing a lot of talk online about Artificer or Synthweaver.

Any tips would be great.

Thank you

any toon that will be a raiding main, should take Biochem (to be able to equip reusable stims/adrenals/medpacs)

if you aren't going to craft with the toon at all, take slicing and Bioanalysis (if you don't have it already) or Scavenging.

for crafting mains, I'd avoid cybertech, and artifice as your first mains, since they don't make the augments and reusables you're going to want at max level.... biochem makes reusables, the other 3 make augments.

be aware that crafting is very expensive to get started at, because you'll want affection 50 companions (for best crit and speed) and 6 fully unlocked strongholds (for easier conquest mats)..... until you get there, your best bet for profitability (and to fuel advancing those goals) is to sell mats on the GTN.

any toon that will be a raiding main, should take Biochem (to be able to equip reusable stims/adrenals/medpacs)

if you aren't going to craft with the toon at all, take slicing and Bioanalysis (if you don't have it already) or Scavenging.

for crafting mains, I'd avoid cybertech, and artifice as your first mains, since they don't make the augments and reusables you're going to want at max level.... biochem makes reusables, the other 3 make augments.

be aware that crafting is very expensive to get started at, because you'll want affection 50 companions (for best crit and speed) and 6 fully unlocked strongholds (for easier conquest mats)..... until you get there, your best bet for profitability (and to fuel advancing those goals) is to sell mats on the GTN.

How do I go about getting more companions?

Same with a stronghold.

The introduction quest for strongholds is 55

you will get 6 companions just going through the class story, (one ship droid and 5 regular companions), you'll get 2 more automaticallyearly in the Kotfe story (Lana, and Theron), and several more later in Kotfe/Kotet story line (you'll also temporarily lose all your old class story ones, but you can get them back at chapter 9). there's also one for each Veteran Mode Star Fortress.

other companions you can get

Darth Hexid (awarded early for completing a ton of FPs with groups)

HK-51 (there's a quest line that starts in section X, and require a lvl14 toon on the opposite faction... once you get him on one character, you can pay 1 mil on any new character to get him immediately)

Treek (there's a bounty contract fo 1 mil on the legacy vendor, or via cartel maarket. once you have that you can unlock it in collections and get it for free on all other characters, don't pay the legacy unlock cost)

H2-WF (rare drop from Nathema FP, any mode)

Lysso (Rare Drop from Vet Hive Queen)

Quick Vrik (Dantooine Reputation vendor)

Gamomrean Guard (Nar Shaddaa Nightlife Event vendor)

Phrojo Nuray (Nar Shaddaa Nightlife Event Rare Drop)

HK-55 and Z0-0M (Cartel Market)

You only need 8 max to craft with, but you may want 1 or 2 more that you use for running content. Do NOT buy any other cartel market companion that isn't listed above.... they cannot be used for crafting

You can use this Handy Dandy Calculator to find the best gift, and cost, and time for leveling them to 50 (4.05 mil @ 12 mins ea, to go from 0 to 50 with max bonuses)

As for Stronghold, those are just credits, and you go to the strong hold vendor on fleet, or the buy access to the "Traders Quarters" on Odessan for the Umbara train, and you might need to go to Manaan for the it's strong hold.

IIRC the cheapest 6 are the 2 homeworlds, Nar Shaddaa, Tatooine, Mannaan, and Umbara. they all average ~12mil to unlock if memory serves

Edited by Void_Singer

I subbed first day of release. I crafted and ran dailies / wandered around gathering crafting materials, playing mostly solo. Bioware ruined crafting when they changed the system so now crafters have to gather mats (wander around / companion missions), craft multiple "components", then craft an item. Some mats are only available in operations and such, so I would have to buy the mats on GTN. Crafting has been, and still is a huge waste of time and credits. Edited by profhermit