Happy Pride Month!!💙💚💛💜💟💘❤🌈

Eshvara

πŸ€—

Β 

So who here is going to party hard or modestly celebrate?

Β 

:d_cool:

Β 

Feel free to share some screenshots of your SGR!!

Β 

:rak_03:

Β 

I am in the process of re-rolling all of my toons on Tulak Hord to be body type 1 male twinks in various degrees of revealing gear, and they're all getting the complexion with the heavy eyebrows and beauty mark near one eye, the undercut hair style or the combed part.

Β 

Go Pride Month! :)

πŸ€—

Β 

So who here is going to party hard or modestly celebrate?

Β 

:d_cool:

Β 

Feel free to share some screenshots of your SGR!!

Β 

:rak_03:

Β 

I don't understand this generation's fascination with celebrating normal, everyday things. It's like there's something going on every single day. It doesn't bother me at all, at least as long as it doesn't interfere or disrupt my life, just confuses me. But happy pride month nonetheless for all those participating.

I don't understand this generation's fascination with celebrating normal, everyday things. It's like there's something going on every single day. It doesn't bother me at all, at least as long as it doesn't interfere or disrupt my life, just confuses me. But happy pride month nonetheless for all those participating.

Β 

I understand what you're trying to say, but for a lot of people in a lot of countries and even in the US Nd EU, people still face challenges because of their sexuality and the like. So it isn't just everyday things for people. It gives people courage and a feeling of acceptance and freedom to express themselves. If it was as normal as you say it is, there probably wouldn't be a pride month.

:)

I understand what you're trying to say, but for a lot of people in a lot of countries and even in the US Nd EU, people still face challenges because of their sexuality and the like. So it isn't just everyday things for people. It gives people courage and a feeling of acceptance and freedom to express themselves. If it was as normal as you say it is, there probably wouldn't be a pride month.

Β 

That makes sense. I guess how I was brought up and where I was raised certainly effects my outlook. The majority of people around me, myself included, accept gays as normal people no different than anyone else and have for years. Most of the dissenting people are elderly people who just don't understand change or fear it. Which is kind of humorous because the majority of people around me are more conservative leaning but have the whole "If it doesn't effect me then let people be/do what they want" ideal. But thank you for explaining it. Makes a lot more sense now. :)

Β 

I'm fully behind the sentiment of the movement, I just really dislike the usage of the word 'pride' in anything related to sexuality, gender, nationality and the like. :p I do not understand it. To me, that word should be reserved to something you've 'accomplished', not something that just is or happened by birth/nature or chance. But I can already sense I'm far too eager to argue semantics as usual, so it's probably best I leave it at that. :o

Β 

I hope everyone enjoys themselves nonetheless, whether they take part or not. :)

I'm fully behind the sentiment of the movement, I just really dislike the usage of the word 'pride' in anything related to sexuality, gender, nationality and the like. :p I do not understand it. To me, that word should be reserved to something you've 'accomplished', not something that just is or happened by birth/nature or chance. But I can already sense I'm far too eager to argue semantics as usual, so it's probably best I leave it at that. :o

Β 

I hope everyone enjoys themselves nonetheless, whether they take part or not. :)

Β 

I generally agree! But while a lot still has to be improved for the community, a lot has been achieved as well. Being able to celebrate it is something to be proud of, the community made this happen! Coming out is something to be proud of, while it should be no issue at all and be as normal and accepted as it is to be straight, it unfortunately isn't.

I don't think it's as much as being proud that you are "gay" but more everything that comes with it and accepting yourself.

Β 

When it comes to stuff like ethnic pride, I'm with you on that one. It something that'll never come out of my mouth.

Β 

That makes sense. I guess how I was brought up and where I was raised certainly effects my outlook. The majority of people around me, myself included, accept gays as normal people no different than anyone else and have for years. Most of the dissenting people are elderly people who just don't understand change or fear it. Which is kind of humorous because the majority of people around me are more conservative leaning but have the whole "If it doesn't effect me then let people be/do what they want" ideal. But thank you for explaining it. Makes a lot more sense now. :)

Β 

You're welcome! I'm sure I missed a few things.:o

Β 

______

Β 

And thanks for the civil and respectful discussions , they help more people understand!! :)

Edited by Eshvara

Β 

Being 50, I'm more of the last generation, and I like to celebrate it, too. Back in the day, when getting chased down the street by guys wielding 2x4's was a real possibility, and during the AIDs crisis of the 1990's, Pride marches in Atlanta were more than just fancy, colorful parties. They meant something, and to do this day, regardless what other significance other people may attach to them, they remain important to me for those reasons.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Β 

You can be proud of who you are, for just being you. You don't need to achieve anything special and sometimes just being your own person is scary and challenging enough so I do think 'pride' is fitting. :)

You can be proud of who you are, for just being you. You don't need to achieve anything special and sometimes just being your own person is scary and challenging enough so I do think 'pride' is fitting. :)

Β 

I couldn't agree more!

Being 50, I'm more of the last generation, and I like to celebrate it, too. Back in the day, when getting chased down the street by guys wielding 2x4's was a real possibility, and during the AIDs crisis of the 1990's, Pride marches in Atlanta were more than just fancy, colorful parties. They meant something, and to do this day, regardless what other significance other people may attach to them, they remain important to me for those reasons.

Β 

I'm curious, with your age and experience in the matter, do you feel the movement and pride parades differ nowadays from back then? And if so, in what ways?

I'm curious, with your age and experience in the matter, do you feel the movement and pride parades differ nowadays from back then? And if so, in what ways?

Β 

It's definitely different today than it was 30 years ago.

Β 

First of all, a lot of the people in the pride parade 30 years ago were literally dying, their muscles wasting away while their bodies held onto those last few precious T-Cells their advanced AIDS had yet to kill off.

Β 

Those people, many of whom were my friends, marched to make people more aware for the need for federal research funding, and did it not to save their own lives --- they already knew it was too late for them, they were going to die, no question about it --- but for those down the road who one day might benefit from the HIV research that they themselves would never know.

Β 

Foot-dragging on federal funding for research put a lot of desperate people on the street in those marches. It wasn't about wanting to be able to kiss in public, or hold hands, and marriage wasn't even a topic of conversation.

Β 

The conversation was to make the general public aware of the need for funding for HIV research in an era when HIV and AIDs were being called "God's scourge on homosexuals" by televangelists and conservative politicians. We were the scape goats for disease, for what was wrong the country, for a fabricated moral breakdown of the youth, the whole nine yards.

Β 

Stepping out onto the street in a Pride march back then was an act of defiance, but also an act of survival. The public had to know what was going on, and the pride marches served two very important purposes: one, letting gays living in every last rural nook in the nation know that they weren't alone, and two, for the cameras to show the people at home that the disease wasn't affecting half a dozen people, or a hundred people, but hundreds of thousands if not more.

Β 

Today, in an age of advanced HIV research when far more stable drugs like Prep exist rather than the crude, liver-killing AZT drug that first appeared on the scene back then, the conversation has shifted.

Β 

The shift began once those participating in Pride took stock of their own political power. Put enough people on a street, and there will be a politician chasing their votes. The Democrats followed suit on that. Not perfectly, as anyone who watched Bill Clinton live on television when he signed the Defense of Marriage Act and Don't Ask, Don't Tell can attest, but we gained political clout, and used that clout to push for the equality that many young people today not even 20 years old take for granted.

Β 

So yes, Pride has changed. It's no longer about marching for, literally, our lives, and putting our lives in immediate danger by doing so from every last redneck with a 2x4 in his hand and something to prove, but for advancements in social equality.

Β 

We've come a long way, and there's still far much more to do, and in a way, I envy young people today. So many have no idea what the previous generations went through so they could step onto the street, wave those flags, and have a great time doing it.

Β 

Thank you for asking.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Thanks for answering. :)

Β 

I've had plenty of gay friends and colleagues, but we never really discussed anything of this subject or just 'being gay', because well, accepting each other as we were we didn't really have a reason to. So I have little actual first-hand knowledge on the matter. Then again, I'm from the Netherlands and, the way I perceive it at least, it is in no way as much of an issue here as it is in many other countries.

Β 

That was an enlightening read, and for someone such as yourself who's seen and experienced the lows, I can understand the 'pride' aspect a little better now. Mission accomplished. ;)

Thanks for answering. :)

Β 

I've had plenty of gay friends and colleagues, but we never really discussed anything of this subject or just 'being gay', because well, accepting each other as we were we didn't really have a reason to. So I have little actual first-hand knowledge on the matter. Then again, I'm from the Netherlands and, the way I perceive it at least, it is in no way as much of an issue here as it is in many other countries.

Β 

That was an enlightening read, and for someone such as yourself who's seen and experienced the lows, I can understand the 'pride' aspect a little better now. Mission accomplished. ;)

Β 

The dude fixing my car & motorcycles is gay. He went to a big European capital and was hurt during a gay parade, the protesters called him names and threw stuff at him. This made me angry, because they don't know him as i do, the good professional able to repair w/e i break at my vehicles. They don't know he adopted a feral puppy ( it proved to be a Husky mix) or any other aspects of his life. Nooo, he's gaaaay, let's just hurt him! This attitude has to stop.

The dude fixing my car & motorcycles is gay. He went to a big European capital and was hurt during a gay parade, the protesters called him names and threw stuff at him. This made me angry, because they don't know him as i do, the good professional able to repair w/e i break at my vehicles. They don't know he adopted a feral puppy ( it proved to be a Husky mix) or any other aspects of his life. Nooo, he's gaaaay, let's just hurt him! This attitude has to stop.

Β 

Difference scares people. Unfortunately you can never root that out from the human brain entirely. But I agree everything needs to be done to minimize that.

I'm not much for parties, unless it involves karaoke bar and enough liquor so i wont remember myself effin up all the lyrics.

Likely I'll just eat some ice-cream and spank some people in PVP with a glowy rave dil-... stick.

And spend some time out getting a tan with my partner.

Edited by Kiesu

I'm not much for parties, unless it involves karaoke bar and enough liquor so i wont remember myself effin up all the lyrics.

Likely I'll just eat some ice-cream and spank some people in PVP with a glowy rave dil-... stick.

And spend some time out getting a tan with my partner.

Β 

Sounds great! Have fun. :)

Β 

Unless you're straight or, like me, bi but in an opposite gender relationship.. then you can be attacked online -- even in person this year (that hurt) -- for saying you're proud of who you are too.

This has soured all of these marches and stuff for me, solely due to a few loud and attacking/hate pushing members. which is horrible for me, and makes me feel like crap more, as plenty in my family fall into the lgbt+ groups, and my aunties are the best people I've ever met and finally were able to officially be married in Australia, a huge step forward. But every time I try and stand with them, or even be happy with who I am, I'm called a lot of crap and harassed because I'm not in a relationship with another girl. Yeah, it's already started at me in this month so not the best time for me to be coming here... but it's pushed my depression into the far deeps and I don't really care anymore.

Β 

I do not agree with pride Month for as long as it is also used as a reason to throw rage at others from the same people who are marching to get society to stop throwing rage at them. I do wholeheartedly agree with that meaningful and true reason behind its existence, just not how many loud people take it to mean the opposite and say it's okay for them to do the attacking/harassment now.

Unless you're straight or, like me, bi but in an opposite gender relationship.. then you can be attacked online -- even in person this year (that hurt) -- for saying you're proud of who you are too.

This has soured all of these marches and stuff for me, solely due to a few loud and attacking/hate pushing members. which is horrible for me, and makes me feel like crap more, as plenty in my family fall into the lgbt+ groups, and my aunties are the best people I've ever met and finally were able to officially be married in Australia, a huge step forward. But every time I try and stand with them, or even be happy with who I am, I'm called a lot of crap and harassed because I'm not in a relationship with another girl. Yeah, it's already started at me in this month so not the best time for me to be coming here... but it's pushed my depression into the far deeps and I don't really care anymore.

Β 

I do not agree with pride Month for as long as it is also used as a reason to throw rage at others from the same people who are marching to get society to stop throwing rage at them. I do wholeheartedly agree with that meaningful and true reason behind its existence, just not how many loud people take it to mean the opposite and say it's okay for them to do the attacking/harassment now.

I'm sorry to hear you've had such a negative experience. I'm a pansexual female engaged to a straight guy. He could have been a woman, transgender or an alien for all I care but he happens to come as male. To me that's pretty much whatever and I don't see why anyone would care, it doesn't change my orientation and it's ridiculous anyone would judge.

Β 

This is why I hate labels though. Everyone is so busy sticking themselves and others into these little boxes and judge you by their personal criteria and standards for who is and isn't. I saw a Tweet today of someone basically telling "terfs" and "cishets" they're unwelcome during Pride month and I had to look up what those terms even meant. I didn't realize to some, Pride had become about exclusion and hate toward anyone who falls, or seems to fall, outside the LGBTQ+ box. It's a pity.

Β 

Anyway, chin up. You're always welcome here. β™₯