Armor value and rating on orange gear?

nezroy

Can anyone confirm how orange gear gets its armor value?

From what I can tell it appears to be derived not just from the armor rating but also from the intrinsic armor "class" of the gear. For instance, since the Elegant Dress is a "light" armor class (requires light armor proficiency to use), it seems that for any given armor rating you mod it to, the armor value is the same as what you would see on a light armor chest piece of equal rating. This is substantially less than the armor you see at the same rating on a medium or heavy piece.

I just want to make sure this is accurate, since it seems to unfortunately limit the custom armor options for a heavy armor using class -- no tanking in an Elegant Dress for me I guess :(

Edited by nezroy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can tell it appears to be derived not just from the armor rating but also from the intrinsic armor "class" of the gear. For instance, since the Elegant Dress is a "light" armor class (requires light armor proficiency to use), it seems that for any given armor rating you mod it to, the armor value is the same as what you would see on a light armor chest piece of equal rating. This is substantially less than the armor you see at the same rating on a medium or heavy piece.

I just want to make sure this is accurate, since it seems to unfortunately limit the custom armor options for a heavy armor using class -- no tanking in an Elegant Dress for me I guess :(

armor rating is determined by mods.. I would imagine it would be the equivalent of any other light armor in the game

you won't turn light armor into heavy armor.. its always going to be "light" armor so I imagine the designation also has something to do with it.

What would be nice is a preview window before you choose to confirm new mods that shows exactly all the stats on the new piece so you can compare to what you have without having to deconstruct it again later if you find it isn't as good. Or maybe this is in and I haven't noticed it.

armor rating is determined by mods.. I would imagine it would be the equivalent of any other light armor in the game

you won't turn light armor into heavy armor.. its always going to be "light" armor so I imagine the designation also has something to do with it.

More specifically it's the Armoring mod.

As for the preview I suppose it could be nice but you can compare the mod you're adding to the mod you have when swapping them so it's largely unnecessary.

The armor mod (made by Cybertechs or gotten with planetary commendations) changes the armor rating of the object.

Example.. Without any of these number being true, just for demonstration purposes.

If I had an Armor Value 80 Mod.

Light- 200 armor

Medium- 300 armor

Heavy- 450 armor

ever tried buying blue mods/armoring/enhancements using those commendations you otherwise never use?

coz I did..

from a blue one to an orange, increased my armor by 70+ (more, but I don't want to exaggerate since I don't know the exact amount)

Yes, I am a tank, but this proves your issue, is either wrong, or just with light armor.

It really all depends. When I tried to wear Orange armor with mods that I had crafted myself, my Armor score just dropped like a rock on my SI tank. Perhaps it gets better in the 20+ range, but it is a world of suck at the lower levels.

In the end, it depends how well you can keep up with things. You need to keep each mod at a Blue grade to theoretically equal a single piece of Blue armor. Same situaiton applies to Purple mods and armor pieces. With this in mind, I do agree that it's probably good to keep an Orange weapon and maybe an armor piece or two. But that's about it.

ever tried buying blue mods/armoring/enhancements using those commendations you otherwise never use?

coz I did..

from a blue one to an orange, increased my armor by 70+ (more, but I don't want to exaggerate since I don't know the exact amount)

Yes, I am a tank, but this proves your issue, is either wrong, or just with light armor.

When you do an "upgrade" like that... you gotta look at the Armor Rating. If you are going from an armor rating 70 to a 65, then yes, your armor will drop like a rock.

But as I said above, equal armor rating down the board... the type of armor matters. Using Blue armor mods seems to be the standard (though I believe commendations should be greens to keep the crafter community rockin harder) so long as you are blue and equal rating, your Armor will be the same.

This holds true for Purple.

About the only thing you dont seem to get with Orange Armor is a chance for that 4th slot. You might, or might not, but I have not seen it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I'm experiencing similar confusion. I'm a BH and have separate orange heavy armors, all of which show their base (without mods) armor as 25 (rating 6). When I add an armoring mod of 40, the armor goes to 228. When I add an armoring mod of 42, the armor still remains at 228. I'm really confused as to how I can increase armor rating if this doesn't show any results.

Thank you in advance for any insight/help.

Trying to figure out how this works as well. My dilemma which I posted in the newbie forums as well. I have the following boots. Can anyone explain why the orange boots which have a rating of 80 only has 125 armor vs the lvl 66 which has a armor rating of 253? :confused:

req lvl 31

Death Bringer Boots (Orange)

125 armor rating 80

36 str

35 end

+5 critical

lvl 29

Rigig Flex Boots [Exceptional] (Green)

253 Armor Rating 66

45 str

27 end

15 citical

The armor rating is quick comparison for armor of the same type (light, medium and heavy) and slot. In the case of the boots, I would expect the pair with the lower armor value but higher armor rating to be light armor and the other pair is heavy armor.

Trying to figure out how this works as well. My dilemma which I posted in the newbie forums as well. I have the following boots. Can anyone explain why the orange boots which have a rating of 80 only has 125 armor vs the lvl 66 which has a armor rating of 253? :confused:

req lvl 31

Death Bringer Boots (Orange)

125 armor rating 80

36 str

35 end

+5 critical

lvl 29

Rigig Flex Boots [Exceptional] (Green)

253 Armor Rating 66

45 str

27 end

15 citical

I just looked those up, why are you comparing Light armor to Heavy armor? As people have said above the armor rating means different amounts of armor to light, medium, and heavy. Assuming you're a juggernaut from the fact you're looking at heavy strength based armor you should never be wearing light, or medium for that matter.

armor rating is not a definitive number for each piece of gear it's in, it will change based on what type of item you put it in (chest, legs, feet) and what the weight of the armor is (light, medium, heavy).

In short don't expect to put the same armoring mod in a pair of light boots and a heavy chest and expect them to even be close

Edit: Sorry Vanor, missed your post. Had this window open a while

Edited by sockmaster

Orange Armor gets it's armor value from the 'armoring' mod you slot in. If you exchange it for something better, the armor value increases along with the stats.

It's always the first mod in the list that determines the intrinsic properties of the orange items (e.g. armoring on armor, barrel on guns, etc.)

Hope that helps.

Orange Armor gets it's armor value from the 'armoring' mod you slot in. If you exchange it for something better, the armor value increases along with the stats.

It's always the first mod in the list that determines the intrinsic properties of the orange items (e.g. armoring on armor, barrel on guns, etc.)

Hope that helps.

I think the OP got that mechanic, what he/she is referring to is that light armor with an AR of 50 has lower Armor than heavy armor with the same AR. The question was if this applies to Orange gear as well, as in, light orange gear with an armor mod with AR 50 has lower armor than a heavy orange amor with the same mod applied to it, which I believe is the case.

Edit: Sorry Vanor, missed your post. Had this window open a while

No harm done. :) Besides it's always good to have confirmation, since I couldn't actually find exactly what the poster said they had.

There are no Rigig Flex boots, but there are Rigid flex boots.

Yes, it's intentional. Light armour is meant to have a lower armour value, even with the same armour mod 'rank'. Classes like the Shadow can tank by making up for that difference with Combat Technique and talents which increase their armour value beyond the base level their gear gives them.

My question more is how does the armor rating of the piece you're trying to mod determine the over all armor of that piece? For example:

I have Force Evangelist's Shroud, with an armor rating of 80. How is then the armor determined to be 257? And when I add something with, say, the armor rating of 85, does the new armor value become calculated?

My question more is how does the armor rating of the piece you're trying to mod determine the over all armor of that piece? For example:

I have Force Evangelist's Shroud, with an armor rating of 80. How is then the armor determined to be 257? And when I add something with, say, the armor rating of 85, does the new armor value become calculated?

A Light Armor chestpiece with a rating of X, has more armor than a Light Armor Chestpiece with an armor rating of X-1.

Oragne, Blue, Epic, Green, whatever it is.

http://www.torhead.com/item/43jqBVm

vs

http://www.torhead.com/item/5GhvyxS

Different levels, same rating, different rarity, same armor.

AS LONG AS IT'S THE SAME ARMOR TYPE.

No, you will not be able to tank well in your slave girl set as a Juggernaught. Because it's going give you CRAP armor. Because it's light. Regardless of the mods you give it.

Does this answer every question?

It depends on the rating level of that mod. It's probably some simple math, but as the poster above says, the higher that rating number, the higher the armour value will be. So, if you get a mod that has a lower rating than the one already in your armour, don't replace it!

It depends on the rating level of that mod. It's probably some simple math, but as the poster above says, the higher that rating number, the higher the armour value will be. So, if you get a mod that has a lower rating than the one already in your armour, don't replace it!

lol, I thought of that. I was thinking more in terms of future armor values when adding higher level armor plates to the suit.

Sorry if I'm dragging this off topic. lol

A Light Armor chestpiece with a rating of X, has more armor than a Light Armor Chestpiece with an armor rating of X-1.

Oragne, Blue, Epic, Green, whatever it is.

http://www.torhead.com/item/43jqBVm

vs

http://www.torhead.com/item/5GhvyxS

Different levels, same rating, different rarity, same armor.

AS LONG AS IT'S THE SAME ARMOR TYPE.

No, you will not be able to tank well in your slave girl set as a Juggernaught. Because it's going give you CRAP armor. Because it's light. Regardless of the mods you give it.

Does this answer every question?

And thanks for the links!

Edited by shinacarana

Hope that helps.

Have reported this in-game already and in several other threads it's mentioned. But modifications seem to randomly disappear from all sorts of Orange items! Please add this bug to the high in-game bug priority list as it is highly annoying and frustrating to keep losing items. (Once bugged, they won't be of any use anymore).

Hope that helps.

Then why have different base values for orange armour on the tooltips?

Ie I think light is 7 armour (before any mods), then medium is something like 14 and heavy is like 28/34.

If you take an empty orange item that is light and one that is heavy, the heavy has more armour. If you add the same mod to both the light and the heavy orange, the heavy still has more armour.

So I don't see how your post clarifies the concern. Cheers!

I've been confused by this as well. I thought the armor rating on an armor mod was how much armor it ads to whatever item you are putting it in. Which really confused the hell out of me.

Is there any sort of calculation you can do to determine what exactly the armor value will be before you actually buy a mod? I know using the same armor piece if you swap in a new mod with a high armor rating you'll have a higher armor then you did before. But is there any way to tell exactly what armor value you'll get?

Thanks

I've been confused by this as well. I thought the armor rating on an armor mod was how much armor it ads to whatever item you are putting it in. Which really confused the hell out of me.

Is there any sort of calculation you can do to determine what exactly the armor value will be before you actually buy a mod? I know using the same armor piece if you swap in a new mod with a high armor rating you'll have a higher armor then you did before. But is there any way to tell exactly what armor value you'll get?

Thanks

I'm sure there's a formula, I haven't seen it yet, but an upgrade is an upgrade.