SW or JK

KelKrios

i am playing LS on both characters and the thing that bothers me about Empire (at least in main story line) is that i find myself constantly working for some homicidal, genocidal maniacs. Does the story get better for the Warrior? I find it funny that i prefer the Sith code to that of the Jedi while i am not too fond of how the Empire is portrayed as overly evil and Republic overly good. I'm a good guy man! I don't want to go and enslave an entire species just to progress a story line :(

Well, it is Star Wars...

That being said, I dislike the JK storyline because its too on-the-nose. Everytime a companion (exc. T3 - it's like a hyperactive puppy) says something like "enough talking, we have a galaxy to save!" I roll my eyes.

The SW is definitely working for the villain(s), but with some nuance in how you react/feel about that. There isn't a lot of room to be the hero, but you can at least be honorable. There's some dialog that I really enjoyed where you can express some self-awareness about doing bad things - you're doing what you must to survive in the Empire.

The Sith Empire are the bad guys. That's the premise of the faction.

The Sith Warrior never stops working for evil people in their class story. If you are LS you can sometimes disobey your superiors, or be uncharacteristically merciful (especially by Imperial standards). Occasionally you can spare, help, or in rare cases, even befriend your enemies (or other bystanders).

But if you are looking to be a simple straight up hero, none of the Imperial class storylines provide that experience. At best, the Sith Warrior can be someone trying to improve the oppressive system from inside. You can make some progress, but that still makes them party to many of bad things the Empire does.

Edited by OldVengeance

Well, it is Star Wars...

That being said, I dislike the JK storyline because its too on-the-nose. Everytime a companion (exc. T3 - it's like a hyperactive puppy) says something like "enough talking, we have a galaxy to save!" I roll my eyes.

The SW is definitely working for the villain(s), but with some nuance in how you react/feel about that. There isn't a lot of room to be the hero, but you can at least be honorable. There's some dialog that I really enjoyed where you can express some self-awareness about doing bad things - you're doing what you must to survive in the Empire.

I find Teeseven's enthusiasm charming, I think i'd find it more annoying if it wasn't a robot.

I have played through SW twice now, once as light sided and once as neutral. My neutral ended up with a lot of light side options though, but I feel like, at least with her allignment, I can more easily RP a sensible personality for her to remain imperial while not descenting into all out madness.

In the end I found her a nice fit for that kind of story. A lot of the light-side dialogue is kinda middle-of-the-road for the SW anyway; mentions of "not falling to darkness" and such still fit quite nicely.

The Sith Empire are the bad guys. That's the premise of the faction.

The Sith Warrior never stops working for evil people in their class story. If you are LS you can sometimes disobey your superiors, or be uncharacteristically merciful (especially by Imperial standards). Occasionally you can spare, help, or in rare cases, even befriend your enemies (or other bystanders).

But if you are looking to be a simple straight up hero, none of the Imperial class storylines provide that experience. At best, the Sith Warrior can be someone trying to improve the oppressive system from inside. You can make some progress, but that still makes them party to many of bad things the Empire does.

Interestingly, the Sith Inquisitor is the one Imperial class who doesn't work for evil people starting with Chapter 2... because you work for no one, having no master and navigating the Empire's politics on your own. I would argue that while the Inquisitor is definitely an antihero, a full LS run doesn't have you doing any real evil, assuming you dodge some of the nastier planetary stories.

Interestingly, the Sith Inquisitor is the one Imperial class who doesn't work for evil people starting with Chapter 2... because you work for no one, having no master and navigating the Empire's politics on your own. I would argue that while the Inquisitor is definitely an antihero, a full LS run doesn't have you doing any real evil, assuming you dodge some of the nastier planetary stories.

It's true they aren't in the direct employ of an evil person like the Sith Warrior is, but they do still operate under the auspices of the Dark Council and the Sith Emperor. You'd also probably have to skip a LOT of quests if you were trying to avoid doing any bad things.

It's true they aren't in the direct employ of an evil person like the Sith Warrior is, but they do still operate under the auspices of the Dark Council and the Sith Emperor. You'd also probably have to skip a LOT of quests if you were trying to avoid doing any bad things.

How would you define "bad thing?" Balmorra and Taris are out, that much is clear, but other worlds like Tatooine and Hoth are pretty innocent.

Tatooine and Hoth are fine, but Corellia would be out too, given that you are helping crush popular resistance to foreign domination.

Voss? Eh, I guess it isn't super evil like the other three, but it's still pretty sketchy. You're trying to manipulate the Voss by covering up the Empire's role in stealing their supplies and also murdering Jedi archaeologists because the history of Voss is embarrassing to the Sith.

On Belsavis your ultimate goal is to free the Dread Masters, some of the most monstrous Sith who ever lived.

Quesh? You can avoid the worst of the evil choices by choosing LS options, but the Empire are still the aggressors. And their goal is to enrage the Republic and start up the Great Galactic War by killing the Three Hutt Families and their Jedi and Republic Defenders.

Alderaan? I suppose you could justify putting down rebelling vassals, but you're still there to introduce Thul to Imperial ruthlessness. The quest begins with you putting a slave collar on a rebellious noble.

Nar Shadda? Most of it is alright, but part of it includes putting an end to resistance by persecuted alien refugees.

And that's not even counting all the side and heroic quests you'd have to skip.

Edited by OldVengeance

Tatooine and Hoth are fine, but Corellia would be out too, given that you are helping crush popular resistance to foreign domination.

Voss? Eh, I guess it isn't super evil like the other three, but it's still pretty sketchy. You're trying to manipulate the Voss by covering up the Empire's role in stealing their supplies and also murdering Jedi archaeologists because the history of Voss is embarrassing to the Sith.

On Belsavis your ultimate goal is to free the Dread Masters, some of the most monstrous Sith who ever lived.

Quesh? You can avoid the worst of the evil choices by choosing LS options, but the Empire are still the aggressors. And their goal is to enrage the Republic and start up the Great Galactic War by killing the Three Hutt Families and their Jedi and Republic Defenders.

Alderaan? I suppose you could justify putting down rebelling vassals, but you're still there to introduce Thul to Imperial ruthlessness. The quest begins with you putting a slave collar on a rebellious noble.

Nar Shadda? Most of it is alright, but part of it includes putting an end to resistance by persecuted alien refugees.

And that's not even counting all the side and heroic quests you'd have to skip.

With Belsavis, the Dread Masters don't seem that much more evil than most other Sith when you rescue them; they're just very powerful. It's also a purely military objective.

Whether the Empire is truly the aggressor on Quesh is debatable, since the Three Families were the ones who broke the Hutt Cartel's neutrality policy by siding with the Republic.

A lot of the Alderaan missions let you help Thul retain its honor, and your main enemy, Ulgo, seems at least somewhat worse than Thul.

The Flame's group would have been screwed no matter what. Even if they killed Admiral Ange, the Empire would retaliate with extreme prejudice. Just getting off Nar Shaddaa alive is the best fate possible for them.

Or you could just buy one of those boost tokens and do only the class story.

Well I’m mostly done with the JK story and I must say that it certainly appealed better to me than SW. A lot less senseless killings and a lot more of being a good guy. I think he has better companions too. Most of them are on the same page whereas with SW I have to constantly quell drama between my crew.

I find Teeseven's enthusiasm charming, I think i'd find it more annoying if it wasn't a robot.

I have played through SW twice now, once as light sided and once as neutral. My neutral ended up with a lot of light side options though, but I feel like, at least with her allignment, I can more easily RP a sensible personality for her to remain imperial while not descenting into all out madness.

In the end I found her a nice fit for that kind of story. A lot of the light-side dialogue is kinda middle-of-the-road for the SW anyway; mentions of "not falling to darkness" and such still fit quite nicely.

My SW is definitely on the darker side of neutral, and I felt like that was a good place to be. She is Sith, but doesn't bathe in the blood of her victims. She doesn't like the institution of slavery, and doesn't slaughter people without cause, but is merciless in battle against her equals. IMO, going totally light-side doesn't really fit with the game-play, since all your combat techniques are based around channelling rage.

She has DS Jaesa, because LS Jaesa talks about 'reforming the empire' which is not something she is remotely interested in. DS Jaesa scares her, a little bit... :)

Edited by SaveTheMonkeys