Would having a Sith/ Jedi companion for all classes be a lore wise decision?

ryanthedark

Greetings fellow Fans,

I was wondering if having a purchasable Force sensitive companion from the cartel market would be a nice idea. It would be done the same way as Treek is bought from the Cartel Market and will also be a hybrid Tank/ Healer or Tank/ DPS or Healer/ DPS. The companion would either be a sith and would be added to in SW and SI case, their own power base or a jedi knight, for the reps. I thought it would be nice to have at least a with with with the rank of Lord, to go along with all that Darthiness of the Sith. The Jedi companion would also be fun to have along especially if you are playing trooper and you want a comp with lightsabers and heavy armor.

Hey, I quite like Ensign Temple and I didn't feel she overshadowed Cipher Nine.

...That being said, it's certainly doable with a good story. And it might be nice to have someone on the squad who can use all those lightsabers that drop on my forehead while I'm innocently bounty-huntering along.

It'd depend on the story, though. I'd be fine with having a companion who thinks they're more important than me (unless it's Skadge. I already have Skadge for all my Skadge needs). Some people might not be. It's not impossible to think of a reason for some sort of force sensitive to hook a ride with your character, up to and including "Hey. You have a ship. I have a mission. We help each other, yes?".

Definitely a bad idea. The Star Wars universe revolves around force-sensitives. They're the true movers and shakers. Having them on the same ship as a non-sensitive class would cause the BH/Trooper/Smuggler/Agent to be overshadowed by their own sidekick.

pssh f*ck that ive been wanting a force user for my non-force toons since this game came out. I mean its not unnatural to not run into them throughout ur story and u even fight some of them so I see why not u cant have one as a companion. tbh tho odds are the next companion we get will be a force user and sgr-able.

Given that both of the two "universal" companions they've released have been Aim/Cunning companions, I think it's time for a Strength/Willpower companion just for the sake of variety.

For balance purposes I think s/he should use both of those stats, the same way HK and Treek each can use two, and that immediately sends my mind to an Asajj Ventress type of character, since she used dual lightsabers (Sentinel/Marauder - Strength) that she could join together into a saberstaff (Shadow/Assassin - Willpower). I just think that would be a really interesting fighting style and make for a unique and sought-after companion.

The only question I've been having trouble with is, if they were to do that, how would equipping this new companion be treated from an in-game mechanics perspective? Give her/him a unique "Split-Saber" weapon that only s/he can use and that is required to use the full range of her/his abilities?

And I think the idea that Force Users would always be the hero to a non-Force User sidekick is just ridiculous in this era. When you have thousands of Jedi and Sith running around, some of them are definitely going to fall lower on the pecking order of importance than certain exceptional non-force users.

No.

In the case of the Smuggler, it's not exactly the most law abiding profession and Jedi are required to uphold Republic Law. Those that don't aren't Jedi at all.

In the case of the Trooper, only specialized Jedi may join the Republic Armed Forces and Garza doesn't seem the type to allow "The Will of the Force" to override tactically sound decisions that drive SpecForce.

The Bounty Hunter is considered a lower form of Imperial who is hired to get their hands dirty. No Sith would ever lower themselves to serving even alongside such a being.

The Imperial Agent is subservant to the Sith and already their life is forfeit for keeping Ensign Temple who should be at the Sith Acadamy. Having a Sith around full time would only hasten that.

The point of the non-Force user classes is to tell the story of those without the Gift of the Force facing adversity and triumphing. Even when their opponents outmatch them such as the case of Darth Jadus (and the resulting consequences of such actions, hence the Chapter 2 fun.)

Even the most low key of Jedi/Sith would invalidate it unless they were so inept as to only serve as Jar Jar level comic relief.

Even the most low key of Jedi/Sith would invalidate it unless they were so inept as to only serve as Jar Jar level comic relief.

You know a Jar-Jar of the Jedi/Sith actually could work and remove the need for having two separate characters.

A character who is just this epic screw-up or has this ridiculous string of bad luck to the point that s/he got kicked out of the Jedi order so s/he tried her/his hand at being a Sith and through her/his incompetence got her/his Master killed or something, so now s/he's stuck on her/his own looking for someone to join up with.

We already have an Ewok (a ridiculous character base) who is interesting she is super-competent, having a Jedi/Sith (a bad-*** character base) who is interesting because s/he is super-incompetent would be a nice counterpoint.

Think Zayne Carrack for those who've read the KOTOR comic series.

Zayne Carrick was one of those who was lucky. Not incompetent. That's a poor comparison as his resulting story was how he changed for the better and brought down a rogue sect of Jedi Seers.

Growth through Adversity.

This companion needs to be worse and never achieve what he did. Ever.

Besides. That type of companion already exists. His name is Gus and he's with the Smuggler.

I would really like something like this. I have had a discussion with my friends that there are no Force-powered healer companions, even though that is a archetypal Jedi role. While I admit it would be difficult to justify a true, moral, upstanding Jedi running around with a Smuggler, or a power-hungry, elitist Sith serving with a Bounty Hunter, there are many opportunities for a Force user to break from that mold. Anyone who has played a LS Sith or a DS Jedi can corroborate that you can be a Force-wielding character without bending to the stereotypes of your order.

No.

In the case of the Smuggler, it's not exactly the most law abiding profession and Jedi are required to uphold Republic Law. Those that don't aren't Jedi at all.

In the case of the Trooper, only specialized Jedi may join the Republic Armed Forces and Garza doesn't seem the type to allow "The Will of the Force" to override tactically sound decisions that drive SpecForce.

The Bounty Hunter is considered a lower form of Imperial who is hired to get their hands dirty. No Sith would ever lower themselves to serving even alongside such a being.

The Imperial Agent is subservant to the Sith and already their life is forfeit for keeping Ensign Temple who should be at the Sith Acadamy. Having a Sith around full time would only hasten that.

The point of the non-Force user classes is to tell the story of those without the Gift of the Force facing adversity and triumphing. Even when their opponents outmatch them such as the case of Darth Jadus (and the resulting consequences of such actions, hence the Chapter 2 fun.)

Gray Jedi/Sith? In other words- Outcasts? That would work, and it would probably make your comp. more loyal to you...

Edit: An outcast, but not like Gus; They would be ACTUAL Jedi/Sith, just Outcast Jedi/Sith

Edited by Trooperclay
cause

Greetings fellow Fans,

I was wondering if having a purchasable Force sensitive companion from the cartel market would be a nice idea. It would be done the same way as Treek is bought from the Cartel Market and will also be a hybrid Tank/ Healer or Tank/ DPS or Healer/ DPS. The companion would either be a sith and would be added to in SW and SI case, their own power base or a jedi knight, for the reps. I thought it would be nice to have at least a with with with the rank of Lord, to go along with all that Darthiness of the Sith. The Jedi companion would also be fun to have along especially if you are playing trooper and you want a comp with lightsabers and heavy armor.

I think a highly customizable companion would be an asset. Half the fun of being a Sith or Jedi is having a padawan and if you happen not to like the choices you are given...

- Arcada

No.

Would it necessarily have to be a Jedi for a republic class or a Sith for an imperial class? If the Bounty Hunter had a force-sensitive companion, I would expect an ex-Jedi but not a Sith. Think of Aurra Sing. She never was a Sith, as far as I know.

Why not, simply give us already screwed Revan as companion.

He is after all almost driven mad by Emperor, much weaker than he was in KOTOR, an on verge of failing again... on top of his Foundry fail should simply earn him hard kick from Jedi Order.

SO we would have a companion that could be shaped in character moral believe, gray force user that has been Sith and Jedi... and last but not least would simply solve all this nonsense - what to do with Revan in story - making him another companion.

Edited by morfius

I love the idea of Force-user Companions, and don't see a problem with it, lore wise. However, I don't think that such a Companion shouldn't necessarily be an actual, full-fledged, proper "Jedi" or "Sith" that belongs to their order and answers to their Council, so much as a Force-user. Perhaps an outcast, a rogue, a runaway, a failed apprentice, etc. Think Ashara -- not Guss, Temple or Vector. Basically, a Companion that uses willpower or strength and actually uses a lightsaber.

Quick examples:

1. Female, willpower stat, can heal or dps. A jaded Jedi on the verge of leaving, this Mirialan can either choose to team up with you as a compromise (Republic) or go rogue and work with the enemy (Imperial).

2. Male, strength stat, can tank or dps. A light-leaning (and thus sub-par) Sith Apprentice who slipped through the cracks after his reclusive master's little-known death, this Zabrak can either keep a low profile and join you in your duties (Imperial) or flee the Empire and find a new place with your crew (Republic).

Obviously, Bioware is quite capable of making up stories to give us unique, special, or otherwise implausible Companions (Treek, Khem, Kira, etc) so I do not doubt that they could come up with a story for all-class Force-user Companions if they wanted to.

As far as having Companions that are "more powerful" than your character . . . I really don't see the problem. The PC is not ordinary; they are meant to be exceptional, the best of the best. And if we're talking about what makes sense in story/lore, remember that the Smuggler can take on a Sith! And we have some pretty powerful Companions, anyway -- my Agent runs around with a blade-wielding Joiner with super strength, and has a guy that can transform into a Rakghoul on his ship.

Regardless of their Force sensitivity, the PC will always be the hero. And these would be optional Companions anyway, for those worried about being outshone.

That's a companion I could actually want to buy...

Right now we have HK, which is a droid (hard to gear up), absurdely expensive for alts, and pure DPS (don't need one of these in endgame. Endgame companion dps is pathetic compared to players, but I could always use an extra 30k+ HP cushion or heals).

And treek, which seems much more useful and reasonably-priced, but is an ewok (no thanks.... just no).

Yeah, sure, it may be a little strange to have an actual, trained, force user (not a failure like guss or temple) serve a non-force user. But this isn't exactly unheard of either... many jedi and a few siths are seen serving as advisors and bodyguards to important non-force users, and by the end of their class story, all class characters have become extremely prestigious and/or famous.

No.

so revan the exile obi wan and Luke are not Jedi? many Jedi have been assisted by "criminals" before, they can be a great source of info

and technally the smuggler does become a pub privateer

2 troopers travel with jedi in this game and many jedi are generals in the war, also allthougth Asoka techanlly outranked Rex in the clone wars as he says "In my book, experience outranks everything." so a Young Jedi isnt a far flung possibility

yet the Hunter can become a Mando and orders a Sith about on Makeb