Which mods and enhancements to keep?

cjmarsh

They're starting to really pile up in my bank and I'm not sure which of them are actually useful for alts in all roles. Are there any A, B, R-, AR-, BR- mods that aren't worth keeping? Same with the enhancements, are any of the three major types, or the R- versions, not useful for any class?

First, I would only bother keeping things that are 306. I would decon anything below that. (This is personal opinion.)

Focus on the modifications that provide the highest value of tertiary stats (critical, accuracy, alacrity...). I focus on ones that give 431+. Others may have a different "lowest point" value in mind. And decon the rest (don't sell them!).

And decon the rest (don't sell them!).

Any reason for this?

The amount of credits you get for the pitiful amount of jawa junk seems to be far less than what you get for simply selling the gear.

Unless you mean for tech frags, which I always cap on anyway and end up converting to gear to sell.

I find it more useful to have an automatic “trash” list, and then sort through stuff later during downtime.

1). Trash any A mod.

Rationale:

there is no configuration of A mods that gets anywhere close to the stat balance of unlettered mods or the high health of B mods. They are no good for tanks and no good for dps/heals. The critical chance you will get from the weighting of mastery over power will be pointless and noncontributory in sub-75 content because of level lock and inferior in 75 content like pvp, Dxun, and Objective Meridian Corellia flashpoint.

2.). Trash high R number unlettered mods, except for Warding B

Rationale:

these have the same problem as A mods and they have lower stat pool sizes to boot

3.). Trash midrange R b mods

Rationale:

the extremes of R #s are ok for warding B or lethal B mods, so very low and very high, but the midrange ones lack the benefits of either extreme. As an aside, Lethal Bs for tanks are only useful in 75 content... in sub-75 content, the extra mastery and power from lethal B mods is capped. Strictly speaking, any B mod is really only useful for a tank and only in level 75 content where the endurance, mastery, and power are not capped.

4.). Trash high endurance versions of Enhancements, including steadfast, vigilant, discipline, barrage, savant, studious, and proficient. Efficient enhancements MAY be useful. Bulwark/bastion enhancements may be useful.

Rationale:

DPS/Healers almost never need the extra health. If they do it’s probably as a buffer until they can get better gear to do their jobs correctly and learn the mechanics, and it’s exclusively only useful in 75 content and actually harmful in 70 content. Some R numbers of these high endurance that have larger stat pools than the basic ones (no R number.). However, unless you are aiming for the 1.4s GCD the extra alacrity rating is largely wasted, and the extra accuracy is pretty much wasted. If you are a dual wielder the extra accuracy could in theory help your off hand hits, but the increased chance of hitting doesn’t really make up for the loss in baseline damage from the power loss. The one exception to this is Efficient enhancements. The extra critical rating may have a measurable benefit, but it will be mostly in sub-75 content. I think top level tanks could probably make a compelling argument that steadfast or vigilant enhancements are superior to bulwark/bastion/sturdiness/immunity enhancements in 75 content, but in my personal opinion, since I do a mix of all types of endgame content and sub-75 stuff is overwhelmingly represented, the advantages don’t outweigh the loss of defensive stats which won’t be penalized in level lock. Bulwark and bastion enhancements don’t steal as much from the shield/absorb so are less punishing in sub-75 content. High R# bulwark and bastion have the highest stat pools and provide more health than their unlettered counterparts, without sacrificing as much shield/absorb as their steadfast/vigilant cousins.

5.) keep mid-high range Nimble enhancements, or low R Efficient, but the rest can be trashed.

Rationale:

The midrange 10-18 Nimble enhancements can be used to optimize the proper balance of alacrity rating in favor of power so that you don’t exceed the threshold needed for 1.4s GCD. R1-10 Efficient enhancements are the only ones with more critical rating than unlettered adept enhancements, so they’re the only ones potentially useful.

I forgot to include the Initiative R18s which when combined with regular Initiative enhancements optimize your accuracy, and forgot to mention the adept high R #s which sacrifice critical for power, which may be useful in 75 content. Higher than initiative R-18 isn’t enough accuracy rating, and much lower than R16 or R17 and you’ll have excess accuracy and losing power.

I’m sure someone has done the curves to show at what critical rating it’s preferable to start swapping to power, but that represents a level of tweaking that is beyond the scope of a simple “Trash this, keep that” guide, and again only has relevance in 75 content.

The one exception to this is Efficient enhancements. The extra critical rating may have a measurable benefit, but it will be mostly in sub-75 content.

So, I did a little napkin math on this. The increase in critical chance from three Efficient R-1 enhancements is just under 0.2% more critical chance, compared to three Adept 80 (unlettered or R1). When you factor in base crit, crit from mastery, and do the weighted damage from non-crits and the surge bonus, this translates into, roughly, about a 0.2% increase in damage. Personally, I don't find that compelling enough to recommend using Efficients over Adepts, given that most players will probably do some 75 content sometimes, in which case using the Efficients over Adept R-18s is a demonstrable loss in DPS. I guess you could keep a handful of low R Efficient enhancements/Mantellian Ears/Implants in your cargo hold if you plan to do NiM sub-75 content. But for the go-to, every-day, likely-fine-for-the-vast-majority-of-content regardless of level, Adept unlettered or high R is the way to go.

Edited by phalczen