How does our feedback work

Icykill_

There are severe long standing bugs and imbalances that have been reported ad nausum and never get so much as an acknowledgement. The desync is warzones, the constant launcher problems, framerate problems, the economy is nearing hyperinflation and mercenary tanks. The playerbase started telling you nearly a year ago that mercenaries would be overpowered and now we have suffered a year with mercenaries having better than tank cooldowns and Bioware has not acknowledged the problem. They have ruled the meta, I see arenas that have 5-6 mercenaries in them everyday. Its so bad that melee are the players that have to kite and pillar hump to survive. Things are not just imbalanced they are completely backwards.

I don't doubt the SWTOR teams sincerity but I do question your methodologies, because, lets be honest, things have not been going great for SWTOR since KOTFE.

Edited by KevinQCowart

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too, but I guess they did what the people wanted and it sucked. 😥

So true. Every MMO is plagued by an overabundance of "required" changes by the playerbase that typically ends up breaking more stuff than it fixes, and delays other isues from being fixed in the first place. The patience of the general population to see things through to completion is horrific, and that is typically why games end up having more issues than they can recover from. And then it creates a snowball effect for customer complaints, setting themselves up for failure anytimr a fix/addition is actually made.

Its a shame.

Edited by olagatonjedi

So true. Every MMO is plagued by an overabundance of "required" changes by the playerbase that typically ends up breaking more stuff than it fixes, and delays other isues from being fixed in the first place. The patience of the general population to see things through to completion is horrific, and that is typically why games end up having more issues than they can recover from. And then it creates a snowball effect for customer complaints, setting themselves up for failure anytimr a fix/addition is actually made.

Its a shame.

I must have missed the general hue and cry for the introduction of CXP. :cool:

The BW dev team has ALWAYS followed the sound of their own voices.

I must have missed the general hue and cry for the introduction of CXP. :cool:

The BW dev team has ALWAYS followed the sound of their own voices.

Ahh, one element of the game means they "alwayd follow the sound of their own voices.". Lol, sure.

And obviously the old loot system wasnt working well either, or they wouldve likely kept it, since it was similar to all the other loot systems prior to 5.0.

Very interesting topic I will totally be looking out for this!!

Also, any word on when we will receive information about the next update?

I am sure you can understand those of us biting at the bit about whats happening with Theron are sitting on the edge of our seats waiting for information on the next story drop.

Ahh, one element of the game means they "alwayd follow the sound of their own voices.". Lol, sure.

And obviously the old loot system wasnt working well either, or they wouldve likely kept it, since it was similar to all the other loot systems prior to 5.0.

If they are large enough, it only takes one or two to kill a game. Like lack of new operations and Galactic Command, both of which were called out well in advance by the player base that it was a HUGE problem, which they promptly ignored.

I agree. I would have loved to see the plan as it was originally intended to play out. Especially those side and companion stories; that's what many have asked for. IMHO they should have just kept going with monthly chapters. I mean, at this point, we'd all be falling over ourselves if they brought back story with that frequency.

It seems like with the companions they can't win...people apparently complained about the entire chapters but the way Quinn and Elara Dorne were brought back didn't work for many people either.

They really should have kept going with the monthly chapters, if nothing else it kept the story players around to see that new content each month. Maybe it was getting too difficult re: budget and kicking out a chapter every month though? The last ones where starting to feel rushed.. like maybe there wasn't enough resources to go with the attempt at monthly chapters? The problem is they can never discuss resources with us and yet there are times it would help greatly... It would foster understanding between the devs and players as to whats still possible - and what isnt. It would allow us to offer suggestions that fit within the realm of possible and compromises where it isn't. Never did understand the need to remain tight lipped on exactly what resources are avail and what aren't -- so much harder for us to help them help us when we just dont know.

The problem is they can never discuss resources with us and yet there are times it would help greatly... It would foster understanding between the devs and players as to whats still possible - and what isnt.

I agree. I suspect they're not allowed to talk about anything financial, as it might impact EA's stock price.

The feedback doesn't work. Even on certain topics where a majority of the players do seem to agree and then the rare times when any of the Dev's did reply they've given numerous reasons why they wouldn't acknowledge what the Customers (Players) said. When Keith came aboard and went on about "Increased Communication" and "Turning the Game around" it did seem like things would change (They haven't yet). But even that Spark is gone and now its back to the old way. Unfortunately so far nothing has improved and this downward trend continues. Members state what they would like but it all seems a mute point. It doesn't matter what we say.

If they are large enough, it only takes one or two to kill a game. Like lack of new operations and Galactic Command, both of which were called out well in advance by the player base that it was a HUGE problem, which they promptly ignored.

They came out with a new operation, and are expanding on it over time.

And aside from the poor release of Galactic Command, it has a pretty noticeable following of people who like it.

The thing about feedback is that it isnt always as straightforward as it may seem. The vocal majority are typically what is seen, but oftentimes the non-vocal can also make a statement by being quiet enough to turn the vocal from majority to minority.

I agree. I suspect they're not allowed to talk about anything financial, as it might impact EA's stock price.

Which is a huge problem. E.A. is more concerned about their income short term rather than what could give them huge long term gains. Other companies do the same, usually by setting stupidly high goals for the year that they'd never realistically make, then cut costs in in the wrong places. In the end they hurt themselves and the customers.

If they'd simply invest in this game far more than they are now, it would be in so much better shape. But since they're not, BioWare Austin has to make due. Combine that with a player base that mostly consists of people that blindly listen to misinformation about BW ignoring the players just because they didn't get what they wanted, or that the slow creation of content means the game is dying, and you get chaotic complaining that ends in a mess.

And aside from the poor release of Galactic Command, it has a pretty noticeable following of people who like it.

The thing about feedback is that it isnt always as straightforward as it may seem. The vocal majority are typically what is seen, but oftentimes the non-vocal can also make a statement by being quiet enough to turn the vocal from majority to minority.

To that point about feedback, results are also not immediate. One must keep in mind that it takes time for things to happen. Things aren't made with a few clicks here and there and then hitting a SAVE button. From what I've observed, most of the vocal majority that you've mentioned have this idea that it should only take a couple weeks or a couple days to make or even fix things. Some have even posted that very thing here. Unfortunately that's not how it works. Not even by a long shot. Believe me, I wish it worked that way, and so do they.

Which is a huge problem. E.A. is more concerned about their income short term rather than what could give them huge long term gains. Other companies do the same, usually by setting stupidly high goals for the year that they'd never realistically make, then cut costs in in the wrong places. In the end they hurt themselves and the customers.

If they'd simply invest in this game far more than they are now, it would be in so much better shape. But since they're not, BioWare Austin has to make due. Combine that with a player base that mostly consists of people that blindly listen to misinformation about BW ignoring the players just because they didn't get what they wanted, or that the slow creation of content means the game is dying, and you get chaotic complaining that ends in a mess.

Honestly, I believe they are investing in the long term revenue from loyal players. There are, and were, many players likely on the fence about staying or going, and they see that behavior daily. Just cater to loyals, and if you lose the fence players, sobeit, they were likely to leave when a new game comes out anyways.

Usually that short term thinking is because executives and middle management get bonuses for reaching a target for that year or every 6 months. Lots on executives and middle management move jobs a lot now, so they have no long term investment in things. If they can get their bonus this year, they will do that instead of worrying if they can get it for the next 3 years because some will just leave during that time.

It's short sighted thinking and management for personal gains over the health of the company or the investors. While ever bonuses are part of the renumeration structure, short term thinking and goals will dominate companies thinking. This is the problem with the finical systems. The incentive to be more and more selfish at the detriment to everything, just because the reward is too good to ignore is why we had the GFC.

The worlds governments had a chance to regulate some of that and put caps on bonuses or renumeration packages. But they chickened out because of too much pressure and personal interest from those people pulling financial support for them..

I've side tracked there for a bit, sorry. These issues above may seem far removed from the success of a game, but the attitude from above filters down from the top. It's a viscous circle because executives and directors set their own pay and share holders let them do it for the most part if they are making money, they don't care how the money is made as long as it is. If that means making and selling shoddy products or neglecting a game or a long term investment for profit, then they are all for it. What do they care if a company starts to lose money, all they'll do is sell the shares and buy else where and the cycle continues.

Honestly, I believe they are investing in the long term revenue from loyal players. There are, and were, many players likely on the fence about staying or going, and they see that behavior daily. Just cater to loyals, and if you lose the fence players, sobeit, they were likely to leave when a new game comes out anyways.

That is just wishful thinking up there in the clouds and isn't even close to reality. You should buy a parachute because you will need it soon or later.

Yeah that's the difference between this game - and how SWG was when it got to this point. Sony was able to speak more freely about what resources where left on the game - so we were able to work with them for the 'best of what could be done' at the time and honestly, ended up with a pretty decent game by the end. It being closed (mind you, a couple of years after getting to this point - which was around NGE time) I suspect had a lot more to do with the Disney merger and the release of SWTOR then anything Sony actually *wanted* to happen ( which they didn't - was mentioned more then once on various posts by those who worked on at at the time). We got a long way though on the feedback from players - and communication from the devs who were left. There was some amazing devs there though - some who even worked in their own time on features players wanted that the 'budget' wouldn't allow for at the time.

I don't think there's anything like enough info in Charles; post to assume it would have been good, bad or indifferent.

There is enough info in Charles' post for me so that I can say that I would have loved it. And so I wrote it.

Part 1: 9 chapters

7 monthly chapters

Part 2: 9 chapters

7 monthly chapters

Part 3: 9 chapters

maybe 7 more monthly chapters to round up the storyline

I would have loved that scheme, because it would have given me A LOT more to play since Autumn 2015 than I got in reality. That's all I need to know.

Unfortunately this is what the complaining has given us. One can definitely see how impatience is bad, and patience is good. And most of the complaints about it being "tedious" were from those that would rather spacebar through the dialogue.

I agree.

That brings me back to December 2011. I had just reached Coruscant when the first people complained in general chat that there is nothing to do at level 50. I took my time when the game was new, explored all the planets, found the datacrons without guides, hunted for achievements without Dulfy's help and so on. I had fun with the game. It was a bit similar with KotFE's monthly chapters except for the Skytrooper issue. ;)

Wow, this thread is still going?

I necro'd it, because I think that the topic is important. Not the thread, but Charles' post that I quoted. Costello phrased it quite well:

According to this, player companions should have come back quicker yet it seems all the issues that people have had with the pacing and what was happening has resulted in less content, less meaningful story or choices and less companions returning. As we would have had monthly story and companion quests and be looking to the final installment. Instead there has been almost no advancement of the story, minimal return of companions (I can only think of 2 and that was poorly done) and very very little added to keep people in game.

In all honesty it seems like everyone at BW knows the game is being left to die while any revenue it does generate is being moved into other game development. Not as this would have us believe responding to player feedback to bring back companions faster and allow for more meaningful dynamic content where choices really mattered.

What happened? Don't say GC, because the issues must have been there already before. Was GC a desperate move to give the game a completely different direction, hoping to attract a different kind of player-type?

How is it not even possible for BW to make a monthly chapter system to bring back companions? Or even Alliance recruitment missions? One Alliance recruitment mission per month. That's impossible to handle for them these days? What's the real status of the game?

I would have loved to see the plan as it was originally intended to play out. Especially those side and companion stories; that's what many have asked for. IMHO they should have just kept going with monthly chapters. I mean, at this point, we'd all be falling over ourselves if they brought back story with that frequency.

I also thought that many people have asked for these companion return chapters and in general (gameplay issues aside) they were well received. So, what exactly made them change their plan already in Spring 2016? Long before GC. I really had the impression that the monthly chapters worked out. It was only after KotET came, that there was a massive drop of player numbers. That's at least my perception.

I would like to understand what really happened. The truth has not been revealed yet.

There is enough info in Charles' post for me so that I can say that I would have loved it. And so I wrote it.

Part 1: 9 chapters

7 monthly chapters

Part 2: 9 chapters

7 monthly chapters

Part 3: 9 chapters

maybe 7 more monthly chapters to round up the storyline

I would have loved that scheme, because it would have given me A LOT more to play since Autumn 2015 than I got in reality. That's all I need to know.

So "quality" has no bearing on your enjoyment?

Wow, Bioware must love you.

IF, and it is a HUGE IF, the quality of the Story was was good as the typical class story I would have enjoyed that too.

If (and this is more likely) the quality matched the average KOTFE quality it would have been horrid.

Maybe 2 or 3 chapters of KOTFE/ET are of sufficient quality for a Star Wars game, then there's a hand full that come close (but don't quite make) that standard, but the majority are appalling.

Having more chapters/episodes to tell a very badly written story doesn't miraculously make the story better.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

All The Best

Hi. You must be new here.

One new operation in 3 years? You think that is enough to keep end game, group oriented, PVE players interested? And even then, only a partial op.....9 months later we are still waiting for the third boss!

All this while other MMOs are pumping out 2-3 ops/raids a year?

I'm astounded you would even bring this up as justification, really.