Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

My thought on it is that for the characters who aren't current LIs, there wouldn't need to be much of a rework. Scourge and Zenith (the two top picks on my wishlist for OGR :)) don't really warm up to the player till the end of Ch3, so it would actually make sense if their romance arcs started in Ch4. Talos, Pierce....

Now for the characters who are current LIs, reworking makes sense to include SGR options for those who want it, possibly with a reset option for companion conversations for existing toons. That would make sense to me.

Isn't the Male JC's romance option obtained in Chapter 3? I have two JCs, both on different servers, neither that high, but I was pretty sure you don't even get Nadia untill Chapter 3 and she warms up to the male JC.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the Male JC's romance option obtained in Chapter 3? I have two JCs, both on different servers, neither that high, but I was pretty sure you don't even get Nadia untill Chapter 3 and she warms up to the male JC.

Yeah, they're both late in the game, the latest acquisition of LIs in the game, lol. Iresso is on Hoth and Nadia on Belsavis. Both of their characters are...warmer? I guess is the right word...than someone like Scourge or Zenith, who are both expressly distrusting sorts. The JC romances (at least for fem!JC, haven't run a male) feel rushed a bit, but not entirely out of the realm of reasonablness.

Edited cause Hoth is end ch2.

Edited by iamthehoyden

Yeah, they're both late in the game, the latest acquisition of LIs in the game, lol. Iresso is on Hoth and Nadia on Belsavis. Both of their characters are...warmer? I guess is the right word...than someone like Scourge or Zenith, who are both expressly distrusting sorts. The JC romances (at least for fem!JC, haven't run a male) feel rushed a bit, but not entirely out of the realm of reasonablness.

Edited cause Hoth is end ch2.

You do have a good point on it be a possibility that more time with them needs to be had. But I was under the impression, looking at Nadia, that it's getting their affection up, that dictates having spent all that time with them.

I'm not looking forward to play a Consular. It looks like the only interesting companion, you get on Belsavis.

Consular has my least favorite companions by far (by way far).

I do like Qyzen though.

Nadia's cool but you get her so late.

IDK, maybe you'll think differently.

I'm replaying the class now and one thing that's kind of a drag is recruiting companions (I typically look forward to it).

It will be interesting to start a Jedi Knight. It's the other force-using class on Rep side, but it's written by Hall Hood and so far I'm quite pleased with how he wrote the smuggler. I'm inclined to see his take on the force.

I actually think Drew wrote the main JK story but Hall Hood wrote the companions and some other stuff.

Needless to say, the JK companions are my favorite part of that story XD

I

I can't really say much about the Jedi Knight's companions since I haven't played that class yet, but Doc seems interesting for SGR. Scourge.... not so much. :p

Scourge is a bad choice for any romance...for reasons.

Edited by stuffystuffs

Well, I haven't commented in a while, and although the majority of us seem to be highly interested in having romance options with the existing companions (not to say I'm not at least partially interested) I am just as interested in seeing some new companions that are romanceable. Of course, I wouldn't mind having a female Cathar who my Sith Inquisitor could romance, but then again they seem to be generically avoiding any non-humanoid romances in general. Heck, you can't even play as a non-humanoid race, and would it really be that unrealistic to play as a droid in a non-force using class? There are a few different examples of fully autonomous droids from other sources, placed at differing points in the Star Wars time line(s). Of course, that'd mess with the Legacy system a fair bit, but I still think it'd be fun to play as one of the distinctly non-humanoid races, and maybe get a few of them available as companion choices (preferably with them being implemented as bi, and maybe being optional companions for more than one class, though I'm not sure how practical that would be).

Also, as I'm still working on my first char, do you actually get all five of the companions listed on the site for each class in the lvl 1-50 content? My Sith Inquisitor is up to lvl 24 now, and Khem Val and the Imperial protocol droid are still the only two companions I've got, though I'm barely started on the Balmorra quests.

Not sure what you mean. Could you clarify?

You get Nadia in chapter 3. How long you take to romance her is based on how long it takes for you to get her affection up, not in how many chapters have been played through.

From what I've seen of companion scenes, time also seems to go by, even if you've upped their affection in one big spurt of gift giving, had it up really far before the next chapter, or you just let them sit without doing their scenes untill you had a big chuck of affection tacked on to them.

So, how long one takes to romance someone seems more based on positive affection gained, and not "well you've hit this chapter." Unless, Nadia is suppossed to be a bit more of a rushed romance, than some of the others (as they are only possible in chapter 3 really).

Well, I haven't commented in a while, and although the majority of us seem to be highly interested in having romance options with the existing companions (not to say I'm not at least partially interested) I am just as interested in seeing some new companions that are romanceable. Of course, I wouldn't mind having a female Cathar who my Sith Inquisitor could romance, but then again they seem to be generically avoiding any non-humanoid romances in general. Heck, you can't even play as a non-humanoid race, and would it really be that unrealistic to play as a droid in a non-force using class? There are a few different examples of fully autonomous droids from other sources, placed at differing points in the Star Wars time line(s). Of course, that'd mess with the Legacy system a fair bit, but I still think it'd be fun to play as one of the distinctly non-humanoid races, and maybe get a few of them available as companion choices (preferably with them being implemented as bi, and maybe being optional companions for more than one class, though I'm not sure how practical that would be).

Also, as I'm still working on my first char, do you actually get all five of the companions listed on the site for each class in the lvl 1-50 content? My Sith Inquisitor is up to lvl 24 now, and Khem Val and the Imperial protocol droid are still the only two companions I've got, though I'm barely started on the Balmorra quests.

Yes. You get them all at various stages of the story. If memory serves correctly, it's the JK who gets their second companion the earliest.

Yeah, Zenith is NOT romanceable at all, for anyone, just wanted to make that clear. But I wish he was. I think Aric Jorgan is the only non-human male romance option out there, isn't he? I guess Vector is *kind of* non-human, but he used to be fully human.

You get Nadia in chapter 3. How long you take to romance her is based on how long it takes for you to get her affection up, not in how many chapters have been played through.

From what I've seen of companion scenes, time also seems to go by, even if you've upped their affection in one big spurt of gift giving, had it up really far before the next chapter, or you just let them sit without doing their scenes untill you had a big chuck of affection tacked on to them.

So, how long one takes to romance someone seems more based on positive affection gained, and not "well you've hit this chapter." Unless, Nadia is suppossed to be a bit more of a rushed romance, than some of the others (as they are only possible in chapter 3 really).

Ok, I think I understand what you're saying. From what I've seen, companion conversations trigger when you hit a certain point in the game and have a certain level of affection. So there's both a time element and an affection element.

What I was referring to was that the companion's relationship with the player varies from companion to companion. Aric Jorgan, for example, is a starter companion, but you don't get a flirt with him till level 32ish even if your affection level is maxed (I maxed him in the 20s, I think it was). It takes an entire act just to get him to that point. And it makes sense because he's a grumpy, suspicious man (and I love him :)). Then it takes another act to get him to the declaration stage. The bulk of that relationship doesn't happen till Act 3. So it's a long, slow courtship and it works as far as the story goes.

Iresso, on the other hand, comes on ship on Hoth. I think he flirts with you in his second conversation and it snowballs very very quickly from there. The entire courtship is during one act. But again, this makes sense because Iresso is a much more open and trusting.

Characters like Zenith and Lord Scourge are very untrusting, so, to me, it would make sense if it took longer (in terms of the story) for them to get to the romance stage. So it would make sense if they were going to be an Act 4 romance arc.

I think it would be easier to add SGRs and new OGRs to non-LI characters because of this - just roll out the romance arc in Act 4. However, I, personally, think it would make sense to rework the conversations for existing LIs because it would be odd if Kira, for example, started her romance with male JKs in Act 1 and waited till Act 4 to start one with female JKs.

(Sorry for the crazy long post, lol) Edit: Ok, maybe it wasn't really that long, just felt like I was rambling :)

Edited by iamthehoyden

I actually think Drew wrote the main JK story but Hall Hood wrote the companions and some other stuff. Needless to say, the JK companions are my favorite part of that story XD
I've heard so much about Doc that it really makes me wanna roll a JK next, especially since he seems SGR-compatible. :p If Hall Hood only wrote the companions, well, fair enough, I think I'm gonna enjoy them. :p

24 sounds about right. Second companion should be coming anytime soon. :)

Iresso, on the other hand, comes on ship on Hoth. I think he flirts with you in his second conversation and it snowballs very very quickly from there. The entire courtship is during one act. But again, this makes sense because Iresso is a much more open and trusting.

The JC romances (at least for fem!JC, haven't run a male) feel rushed a bit, but not entirely out of the realm of reasonablness.
Not really on topic, but I want to add that I found femConsulars romance with Iresso really rushed and not that well played out. By the time I got him, Lv 44 I believe, I was kind of used to take Theran along and he had the better gear anyway. So I wasn't really able to gather a lot of affection points with Iresso. I maxed affection with him by giving him gifts after my Consular reached the level cap. Him and her went from "Nice to meet you" to "Will you marry me?" in two days.

Would make sense, if they added new companions for SGR, to do that a little differently. *cough* :rolleyes:

SGR will be a good IDE in the game,as some people will like to it in game. And I'm one of them!
Agreed. :) Edited by Lent_San

Consular has my least favorite companions by far (by way far).

I do like Qyzen though.

Nadia's cool but you get her so late.

IDK, maybe you'll think differently.

From what I've read Zenith seems interesting, and Tharan is supposed to be funny. It's mostly being stuck with Qyzen I don't like, and only getting Nadia (the companion I'm looking forward to) really late. I'll probably end up running with Tharan until I get Nadia. He seems like he won't be too bad. You never know how people will match up to what's been read though. I thought Xalek would actually be worth a damn.

Okay, I'm done.

In my book, SWTOR has been categorized a hetero romances only game.

I've managed to work my way into acceptance that my female characters will never be able to have romances, and I've managed (grudgingly) to create a few male characters that I don't find disgusting. So I gave them a six month sub. I expect I can get half a year's entertainment from the stories of the classes that I had been keeping on hold. I'm in for six months of this (effectively) het-only game. We'll see how I feel at the end of it whether I still want any more, or whether I'll run yet another Dragon Age 2 playthrough.

I've managed (grudgingly) to create a few male characters that I don't find disgusting.

My solution when I wasn't able to create a male Smuggler I could stand playing... was to unlock Chiss for all classes.

Edited by JediMB

Then you're reading it out of context.

That's the actual post fragment you're quoting. There's a fine but very important distinction between a sexist opinion ('All men are disgusting') and an overwhelming preference ('I find all men disgusting'). Samy_Merchi isn't saying 'all men are disgusting' or 'all men are lesser creatures', nor anything of the sort. She's saying that she finds male characters disgusting (presumably due to a very strong personal preference), or at least the ones she tried to make with the SWTOR character builder. That's an opinion based within a preference and, like all preferences, it's the owner's to have.

I believe you, too, are taking statements out of context. Probably intentionally and certainly dismissively. How people react to internal gameplay is going to be different from you. The language they use to express that is also going to be different. Going over minutiae and claiming that it makes them seem incapable of discerning reality just makes you look judgemental.

I understand it and I get it and you would make a very good politician aswell. I know what I read. I actually wanted to bring up Marriage i.e ceremony,ring and or Rp tools between players and I get reverse discrimination instead. I feel more Rp style relationship tools would be fun to toy with and would open it up to the next level for all peeps.

I understand it and I get it and you would make a very good politician aswell. I know what I read. I actually wanted to bring up Marriage i.e ceremony,ring and or Rp tools between players and I get reverse discrimination instead. I feel more Rp style relationship tools would be fun to toy with and would open it up to the next level for all peeps.

I'd make an awful politician with a very short-lived political life, actually, and I suspect you're not actually reading what I'm telling you. The person you're accusing of discrimination made no blanket statements about men. Believe me, I'm one of the first to jump on discrimination against women OR men (I don't believe in such a thing as 'reverse discrimination' - a person is discriminating or they're not), and I don't believe it's happening in this case. If Samy_Merchy had said 'I tried making a male character but all men are ick' I'd fully agree with you, but she didn't.

I agree with what I believe was the sentiment behind the earlier post, which is that it's disgusting to have to play a male character to romance the female character of your choice. Thats true, it is. I can't bring myself to do it either, I couldn't even get as far as even beginning to try, so the earlier poster at least did better than me. Its not an insult about men in general, its that this is an RPG where you're allowed to play as a male or female character, and as such if you want to play as a female character you shouldn't be penalized in any way, especially in such an extremely important way.

It's funny, I've played two characters to level 50 now and I don't even know what a 'chiss' is, I'm sure Ive met some and simply forgotten them, but it gave me an interesting and humorous idea for how to solve this whole thing. Not that it's complicated or anything, they could fix it super easily through any number of means, but this is yet another one. Suppose they created a race like the Asari from Mass Effect, who look and sound female, but like how that hilariously dumb fellow tried to say they 'werent female' even though they're explicitly stated as female in the game itself, you could take this race and let them be played as either male or female. Either way you get someone who looks and sounds female, but essentially by choosing the gender you'd be choosing which gender you want to romance. Obviously its much, much simpler to just get rid of the gender checks on the existing romances, but this is just yet another way to solve the issue on top of all the other obvious ones. Also, it would be pretty cool to have an all-female race similar to the Asari in SWTOR, you can never go wrong by adding an all-female race, whatever game you're talking about really :) .

I've heard so much about Doc that it really makes me wanna roll a JK next, especially since he seems SGR-compatible. :p

Well, some will say he's not b/c he flirts openly with a female JK but I'd say that only works if you expect a bisexual to interact in the same way with both sexes (which isn't typically the case).

I can see everyone as potentially SGR-compatible so my opinion doesn't really count here XD

I agree with what I believe was the sentiment behind the earlier post, which is that it's disgusting to have to play a male character to romance the female character of your choice. Thats true, it is. I can't bring myself to do it either, I couldn't even get as far as even beginning to try, so the earlier poster at least did better than me. Its not an insult about men in general, its that this is an RPG where you're allowed to play as a male or female character, and as such if you want to play as a female character you shouldn't be penalized in any way, especially in such an extremely important way.

It's funny, I've played two characters to level 50 now and I don't even know what a 'chiss' is, I'm sure Ive met some and simply forgotten them, but it gave me an interesting and humorous idea for how to solve this whole thing. Not that it's complicated or anything, they could fix it super easily through any number of means, but this is yet another one. Suppose they created a race like the Asari from Mass Effect, who look and sound female, but like how that hilariously dumb fellow tried to say they 'werent female' even though they're explicitly stated as female in the game itself, you could take this race and let them be played as either male or female. Either way you get someone who looks and sounds female, but essentially by choosing the gender you'd be choosing which gender you want to romance. Obviously its much, much simpler to just get rid of the gender checks on the existing romances, but this is just yet another way to solve the issue on top of all the other obvious ones. Also, it would be pretty cool to have an all-female race similar to the Asari in SWTOR, you can never go wrong by adding an all-female race, whatever game you're talking about really :) .

Does Star Wars have a race like that in it's lore? Personally I'd rather they not intermingle game lores or invent new ones for the Star Wars MMO, and would rather see established canon races introduced.

Does Star Wars have a race like that in it's lore? Personally I'd rather they not intermingle game lores or invent new ones for the Star Wars MMO, and would rather see established canon races introduced.

I think there are a couple of species that could qualify as mono-gendered but they tend to be hermaphroditic (like the Hutts, which... aren't... really that similar to the asari at all). But they've already invented the Voss and Gormak for the MMO so I could imagine they'd be more wary of crossing over Mas Effect's copyright lines than they would be wary of deviating from established Star Wars lore.

Suppose they created a race like the Asari from Mass Effect, who look and sound female, but like how that hilariously dumb fellow tried to say they 'werent female' even though they're explicitly stated as female in the game itself, you could take this race and let them be played as either male or female.

<snip>

Also, it would be pretty cool to have an all-female race similar to the Asari in SWTOR, you can never go wrong by adding an all-female race, whatever game you're talking about really :) .

Personally I think the asari thing has been done. From a writer's perspective just about any mono-gendered female-style species is going to be directly compared to the asari, and writers often already have enough challenges (like deadlines and hyper-critical fans) without adding to the pile.

Well, some will say he's not b/c he flirts openly with a female JK but I'd say that only works if you expect a bisexual to interact in the same way with both sexes (which isn't typically the case).

True. I'll see. :D To me, some companions seem more adaptive than others, but I'm not gonna say others can't see it differently. It's always part player, part char that decides what romances work or not. I still admire the DA2 model in that respect. Almost everyone was able to play the romances they wanted and no-one felt cheated. I think it was a wise move on their part back then.