Gunships are why people are not playing as much.

NathanielStarr

There is no auto target (you still have to move your rectacle where it needs to be in order to get a hit), and the other 2 requirements scream of nothing more than preference and self indulgence...needing a joystick and cockpit view or else you won't bother with it is akin to a 6 year old stomping their feet in the cereal isle demanding sugar coated cereal.

As for SWG's space fighting...apparently you are like so many others with rose tinted goggles on...or have you forgotten he ships with laughably small hit boxes where you would see blaster shots hit the ship yet go through it because the hit box was so unrealistically small?

I still want a more realistic movie based fighter...scouts should be one hit kills by EVERYONE. As THAT is what a scout is...you have no armor, no shields, your hull could be cracked by virtually anything hitting you reasonably hard.

Strikefighters should be the backbone...90% of each side should be flying them. They should be the best armed, best defended ships.

Gunships should pretty much be just as they are...artillery platforms, however their flight ability should be lowered even farther to balance them properly as mobile artillery platforms.

If the balance isn't such that everyone wants to fly strikefighters than they haven't balanced things out properly yet. Scouts don't have enough drawback (yes they need to be far more frail to be true scout class ships) and gunships need their mobility lessened even farther (I would actually suggest removing their ability to use engine skills to break lock ons and instead give them decoy skills to fool missiles...that way they don't get mobility options).

This would bring it more in line with what you see in the movies.

You people sure do make a major assumptions about swg. For the record I flew a B-wing, the thing was a flying brick, and extremely difficult to control at high speeds. Guess what this might surprise you but I loved it, not ever did I complain about the B-wing on the official forums. By trying to make gsf based off abilities and the way they have, they will now be perpetually bogged down in balance just like ground pvp. As opposed to JTL where someone could take a z-95 load it with high end components and kick anyone's behind if they were good enough. Oh and here is another clue. The reason why the scout is a favorite is because it actually looks like a republic/imperial fighter. The strike fighter has a odd look for both factions. At any rate my point was balance is hardly the reason why gsf is not a huge success.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'know, I can understand wanting to counter argue all these 'gunships are op' threads, but... really?

I mean, really? One shots are 'rare'? What?

Strike fighters are the only ship class to my knowledge able to always survive a hit from a gunship slug railgun regardless of upgrade level or bypass, and they're by no means the most commonly flown ship type, or the least capable when it comes to avoiding getting hit for a second time right afterwards. A scout modified for hull health still doesn't have enough to not explode in one bypass buffed hit.

yes they are rare. more often than not when someone thinks they get 1 shotted is when they get hit at same time by more than 1 person.

i also play all the other ships as well, i can count on one hand how many times ive been 1shotted and most of them were b4 i got a single upgrade and learning the scouts, fighters etc, now rarely ever a 1 shot situration happens.

im not just a gunship main i love all the ships and play them all to a decent standard.

I will point out that Interdiction drive is MEANT to let a gunship get away, just as distortion and barrel roll actually do. It's just rather bad at the job, with a short range and a minor set of debuffs and buffs that are mostly only able to help you around corners, etc. The concept is cool though.

The only disadvantage with interdiction is its long cooldown time. Everything else is fine with it. You have to be within 3000m to hit your target with it, when it is upgraded they will slow to a crawl while you can tranverse half the map near-instantly until you are out of their sensor range. It's the fastest way for a gunship to travel.

Edited by Sadishist

The only disadvantage with interdiction is its long cooldown time. Everything else is fine with it. You have to be within 3000m to hit your target with it, when it is upgraded they will slow to a crawl while you can tranverse half the map near-instantly until you are out of their sensor range. It's the fastest way for a gunship to travel.

The first time I was hit with this debuff, I really wondered what the hell just happened? I could barely move! Then I figured it out and had to chase that stupid gunship across the map. When I got there I got him but yeah, it's not a bad component, especially if you attack a gunship head-on.

The first time I was hit with this debuff, I really wondered what the hell just happened? I could barely move! Then I figured it out and had to chase that stupid gunship across the map. When I got there I got him but yeah, it's not a bad component, especially if you attack a gunship head-on.

That's why it needs to be paired with dampening sensor, so can escape from your radar.

Edited by Sadishist

That's why it needs to be paired with dampening sensor, so can escape from your radar.

IIRC both or our teams were pretty spread out, so there wasn't a place to run (other than his mothership), but yeah it only *really* takes a dampening tactical officer.

No one likes to be one shotted especially when these gunships usually just run back to their spawn point when you chase them. So sure maybe the one gunship is gone for a minute or two, but either they come back and one shot you or another one gets you while you are chasing that one.

People do not like to be killed in one shot.

I've asked people and they told me that they feel the side with more gunships usually wins so it's boring for them.

What gun ships r shooting you with one shot, i mean hook me up with it. I use Gun Ships and i have hit people with 3 4 and 5 hits i see how much HP i'm taking from them with each hit and im thinking, "what will it take to destroy them" Just for another team mate to come along and take my kill.

1 SHOT KILL GUNS SHIPS, PLEASE HOOK ME UP!!!!

Stay off Death Stix, OBIWAN Says so................

What gun ships r shooting you with one shot, i mean hook me up with it. I use Gun Ships and i have hit people with 3 4 and 5 hits i see how much HP i'm taking from them with each hit and im thinking, "what will it take to destroy them" Just for another team mate to come along and take my kill.

1 SHOT KILL GUNS SHIPS, PLEASE HOOK ME UP!!!!

Stay off Death Stix, OBIWAN Says so................

1. A crew member with the "Bypass" ability as your copilot.

2. Upgrade the slug railgun

3. Fully charge, press 4, release charged weapon on scout

3.1 BOOM

and not breaking lock on missiles. I'm a bit disappointed with distortion field's lock on break. Doesn't seem to work against missiles in flight and since you don't move when breaking lock on if you break during the lock on process they start locking on again right away.

No one likes to be one shotted especially when these gunships usually just run back to their spawn point when you chase them. So sure maybe the one gunship is gone for a minute or two, but either they come back and one shot you or another one gets you while you are chasing that one.

In ground PvP, it's exactly the same - but the PvP community has been heavily downplaying this (getting killed in one shot). In pre-2.0 it was even worse : There you could *literally* get killed in one shot in ground PvP - thankfully, Bolster has changed that a little bit.

But still - the ground PvP community is still heavily downplaying the fact that onbe can get killed in one shot, especially in OPVP and in Lowbie PvP. Which means nothing but : For the ground PvP community it is absolutely okay to kill another character in one shot.

So, why should it be different for GSF, then ?

In ground PvP, it's exactly the same - but the PvP community has been heavily downplaying this (getting killed in one shot). In pre-2.0 it was even worse : There you could *literally* get killed in one shot in ground PvP - thankfully, Bolster has changed that a little bit.

But still - the ground PvP community is still heavily downplaying the fact that onbe can get killed in one shot, especially in OPVP and in Lowbie PvP. Which means nothing but : For the ground PvP community it is absolutely okay to kill another character in one shot.

So, why should it be different for GSF, then ?

The only time in the entire history of the ground game could you ever be one shot was pre 1.2 when you could use clicky power adrenals and clicky power relics, and armor debuffs stacked with each other. At no point after that could you one-shot anybody. Now you could like go smash a PvE geared person for like 60% of their HP, but not one-shot them.

I've asked people and they told me that they feel the side with more gunships usually wins so it's boring for them.

No, people are not playing this as much because a) It have absolutely no tie-in with the rest of the game b) the controls are absolute garbage c) Bioware has absolutely no semblance of the meaning of the term "Balance" to save their souls, look at ground PVP and D) how much did you really expect for a phone app Bioware bought off 2 college kids from Dallas ratcheted into SWTOR? /sarcasm

P.S. they certainly are milking this epic GSF release for all it's worth.. with numbers already falling they should just stop where they are at and focus on the things the majority of people like and are calling for like : Class Story, Comp Story more ground PVP variety and some new OP's and FP's

Edited by BarrinMarshall

Gunships are simply a stupid idea. Who in the right mind add snipers to a dog fighter simulation. They should simply add a map who no gunships are allowed and let players queue for that map directly then they can check if the people want fair fights or stupid sniper duels.

Explain to me how one pilot killing off six enemies alone is fair and balanced.

I do that in my scout. "Shock" is more skilled than you in GSF, and probably has a more upgraded ship. Stop crying, accept it, and either play and get better or move on with your life.