Best Voice Acting?

Jerav

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite voices so far are the Sith Warrior and Imperial Agent (both male). Both actors to a perfect job of conveying their character.

The Imperial Agent is by far my favorite in the game. His voice is so smooth and calm, almost lethargic, but completely confident and unquestioning in his tone. I loved how he'd drop and change his accent during certain stories as well. His voice is so awesome, it almost ruined the rest of the voices for me.

The Sith Warrior's voice also strikes me for the same reason: His tone and inflection perfectly suit him. The voice is calm but strong, and confident, with Sith refinement. He gets a hint of annoyance in his voice when talking with non-sith.

The female inquisitor's voice is like the Sith Warrior's: strong and confident, no weakness or quavering, but calm, with that refined sith accent.

The Jedi Knight's and Jedi Consular's male voices sound like a 16-year-old who is too insecure to talk out of turn.

• 1 year later...
My favorite so far has been Male Smuggler and second best maybe Male Sith Warrior (Light Side both tho). Been trying to start a Jedi Knight but he's voice actor speaks in monotone so its hard to get involved with the character and when trying to be bit "careless" it comes out in such a stuck up manner :p Edited by TrollingSome

Male:

1. Brian Bloom (Trooper) 10/10: This is what pretty much singlehandedly made Brian Bloom one of my favorite voice actors ever. He pulls off just the right combination of a confident, relaxed, commanding, and cocky-without- sounding-like-an-a-hole voice. The delivery of the "I could do this in my sleep..maybe I will" and "I'm good, what can I say?" lines = priceless.

2. Mark Bazeley (Warrior) 9.7/10: Again, very confident, cocky, and commanding voice. His voice seems to fit whomever you want your SW to be, with the potential to sound both very tough and calm. Mark Bazeley pretty much pulls off that "evil Brit" accent WAY better than both Bertie Carvel and Euan Morton.

3. Tom Spackman (BH) 9.2/10: He pulls of the tough, arrogant, "don't take ***** from anyone" and "I don't care about anything but credits" voice perfectly, exactly the way a BH should sound. I agree that his voice sounds best with a BT3 BH though.

4. David Hayter (Knight) 8.5/10: Solid (no pun intended) performance here. He does a decent job with sounding assertive yet able to bonk some heads if he needs to. He does sometimes sound too soft and calm at times, which seems out of place especially since David Hayter is mostly known as Solid Snake. Though apparently this is closer to his actual voice than Snake's. His voice is also the player voice I've heard the most of all of them, and I've just gotten tired of hearing it all the time in FPs/Heroics whatever.

5. Maury Sterling (Smuggler) 8.3/10: Again, solid, decent performance. Nothing stands out too much, but he does deliver the "deadpan snarker" lines pretty well.

6. Bertie Carvel (Agent) 7.2/10: Here the "evil Brit" accent just sounds way too gratuitous. He sounds like he's trying way too hard to get people to think that "British accent = Empire." A shame, since Bertie Carvel himself is actually pretty darn handsome.

7. Euan Morton (Inquisitor) 6.9/10: Way too nasal. His voice ends up sounding less threatening and sarcastic and more like he just has severe bronchitis.

8. Nolan North (Consular) 6.0/10: Simply just very boring, monotonous, and somewhat condescending. Nothing at all stands out here, nor does he give the Consular any personality at all. Quite pathetic from someone who's supposed to be one of the "gods" of video game voice work.

Female:

1. Kari Wahlgren (Knight) 9.6/10: Kari Wahlgren just has that sweet, charming, and caring yet snarky when she wants to be voice that brings the Knight to life.

2. Jo Wyatt (Agent) 9.1/10: She has that voice that can adapt to whatever situation he has to be in, whether it's going undercover or trying to seduce someone into giving information or whatever, and her "evil Brit" accent sounds much more natural and far less forced than her male counterpart.

3. Kath Soucie (Smuggler) 9.0/10: Kath Soucie has that young, playful, deadpan snarky, and somewhat immature voice that fits the FemSmugg just perfectly.

4. Xanthe Elbrick (Inquisitor) 8.7/10: Her voice just fits the menacing personality of the SI, with the potential to sound caring if she wants to. Though sometimes it seems like she talks VERY slow, which can get annoying.

5. Jennifer Hale (Trooper) 8.1/10: Jennifer Hale's voice is cool and tough, but I never got into the whole FemShep craze at all. I do agree that the tough "action girly" delivery can get a little gratuitous sometimes (though nowhere NEAR as bad as Natasha Little). The only thing I can say she does better than Brian Bloom is her "angry sounds" (e.g. menace and imtimdate emotes); she sounds so much more menacing and intimidating.

6. Grey DeLisle (BH) 7.4/10: Nothing too bad, but nothing that really all that memorable either. She just sounds like that generic action girl eager to make a name for herself. Tom Spackman simply delivers the BH-ish lines so much better.

7. Athena Karkanis (Consular) 6.0/10: Same problems as her male counterpart: Boring, monotonous, no personality to speak of, no emotion whatsoever, rather condescending to people who aren't strict Jedi Code adherents. SWTOR really dropped the bomb on the Jedi Consular here.

8. Natasha Little (Warrior) 3.5/10: The only truly awful voice of the bunch. I've seen people say Jennifer Hale tries too hard to sound "tougher than the guys"... apparently they've never heard the female Sith Warrior. After an hour of gratuitous roaring and annoying "RRRRAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!! NOW YOU'LL SEE WHAT A SITH IS CAPABLE OF!!!!! RRRRAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!" and "LOOKS LIKE IT'S TIME FOR A BLOODBATH!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!" I just wanted to punch out my monitor. While I can stand Nolan North and Athena Karkanis (they just sound really boring), I could NEVER see myself making a female Sith Warrior. At all. Her voice is really that annoying and irritating to totally turn me off.

Edited by HandOfKane
Added explanations to ratings

I really liked the BH Male, not enough love. I'll do a similar 1-10 system for my personally favs so far.

Bounty Hunter Male - 9 Thought it fit the bell perfectly but the random lisp on some of the end game stuff bugs me. Makeb he does it sometimes so I had to dock him a point.

Sith Warrior Male - 8.5 I like to be sarcastic as much as possible and the voice acting here does help quite a bit being a little less "I'm sith so I gotta talk all Sith like all the time" like the Inquistor. Not a fan of the male Inquisitor to say the least. Kind of a turn off of sorts.

Jedi Consular Female - 9 Really like her voice, still pretty early on, but it's nice no complaints. I think it fits the character nicely.

Smuggler Male 9.5 - Gotta say this is easily the most fitting actor in the game right now. Really delivers all the lines perfectly and I find it hard to log out cause I just want to hear him verbal b**** slap you with a funny one liner. I heard it was the same guy who voiced Alistair, gotta say I loved Alistair too.

Trooper Male 8 - As generic as it is it fits the character really well, especially if you play the "Yes sir" style like I found myself playing. It's hard not to when ever companion gets wet, if you catch my meaning, when you are the model soldier. Generic but fits so I gave him a higher rating.

Sith Inquisitor Male 6 - Probably one of my favourite characters mainly cause I modelled mine after Maul, I know hopeless fanboy but we all know Maul was the only thing worth seeing in EP 1. But the voice acting is very much lacking for me. I kind of prefer more neutral sounding voice acting and this one was a little too Imperial-ish. And I like to make my takes in the bigger model but the voicing kind of forced a smaller fram build. Just felt off can't really explain what went wrong. The voicing fit and in this case hinders the character for me.

Imperial Agent Male 7.5 - Once again a character who's voice fit the character but rubbed me the wrong way. I only enjoy this character for a short while before the voice acting kind of just turns me off, sounds very weird but my vocabulary is kind of limited. Fit the character but missed for me. Too imperial for me, I like to be as neutral as possible.

I only have one female character because I don't like being a female in games because it "feels" weird but I made the Consular female because I thought why not. The first female character I ever made was in DCUO cause I seen Posion Ivy loading screen pic and said "Mmm" kind of pervy but whatever Lol. But yeah for the most part I am Male because, well I am male, so I just recently decided to re roll some classes as the female counter parts since I want to try as many of the advanced classes as possible, and the stories except the Smuggler's are pretty good.

Male:

Trooper - 6/10. Fine.

Knight - 9/10. "You have my word, it will be done". Fits good guy role just great.

Smuggler. Never played one, but scoundrel giggle is 10/10 :)

Inquisitor - 10/10. Very charismatic voice, I believe it would fit both LS and DS.

Female:

BH - 7/10. Well done.

Knight - 8/10. Very sweet, music to my ears.

Consular - 8/10. Not much emotion, feels great for wise consular. Best ouches :)

Trooper - 9/10. Jennifer Hale is always great.

Scoundrel - 9/10. Young and cocky. "I love this job" during space missions is awesome :)

Agent - 10/10. Absolutely brilliant. Worth rerolling just to listen to her convos again.

Edited by space_mechanic

My favorite from what I have heard so far was Female Smuggler, and my least favorite - the Male Smuggler.

I liked Female IA, and Warrior, and M!Inquisitor

I am ambivalent about a male JK, male IA and F!Trooper.

I did not like F!Consular but I got used to her.

My most favorite voice/soundset in the companion cast is Zenith so far, I also like Kalyio's and Tharan's.

Edited by DomiSotto

Best Male:

I LOVE the Sith Warrior voice. Very brutal and authoritative - demanding of respect.

Best Female:

Imperial Agent - bar none.

Least favorite male:

Smuggler - sounds so generic. Otherwise humorous lines fall flat. He sounds too much like a frat boy or a bro

Least favorite female:

Sith Inquisitor - she sounds like she's in her mid 40's pushing 50.

Edited by kimdante

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably going to be pretty disjointed but bear with me...

SW - Both male and female are great! The guy could sound a bit more aggressive, but overall very commanding and ******. DS lines get better when you put one of those masks on. My femMara is going LS and the voice fits surprisingly well, demands your attention and respect.

BH - Heh, the male voice is great although seems a bit too gravelly at times. As for the female voice, I instantly recognized her as Grey DeLisle (you know, Viconia from the Baldur's Gate series), so I simply had to make another BH just to hear her voice hahah.

Trooper - Varric is my bro in DA II, but here... it just doesn't work. Plus I was really disappointed at the sound effects of the assault cannon, so I'm probably never gonna finish my Commando :confused:

IA - The male voice grew on me, lots. Fits my Chiss char perfectly! I'm pretty sure the fem voice is the same one that did femHawk, so that has me intrigued.

JK - Hayter is familiar to me from the MGS series, but here he sounds a bit too serene, calm and collected. I know the ideal Jedi is supposed to be abnormally calm, but something about his performance rubs me the wrong way.

SI - The guy's decent I suppose. Like many, I wanted to make a Darth Maul, but the VA obviously doesn't fit that. Didn't stop me from finishing the story as assassin though. I rolled a female sorc this week, the VA seems pretty good, although I did notice how her delivery turns veeery slow when she's delivering the more evil lines which I found unintentionally funny.

Snuggler - The male performance overall is great. Could be the lines, could be the VA, could be both. Sounds,,, kinda too young at times or something, but I have had a great time with my Smuggler nitpicking notwithstanding.

My favorite from what I have heard so far was Female Smuggler, and my least favorite - the Male Smuggler.

My new least favorite is SI Female. She sounds like she has a chewing gum in her mouth. Oh, well. I hope she grows on me like the Consular did.

Favorite VA in game is the male sith warrior 11/10. So much so I rolled 5 (between juggs and marauders) and still haven't heard the female version.

I also enjoyed the female agent voice acting. The only other female toons I have is a councilor and knight. Neither are that bad but I didn't think they were as good as the fem-agent.

Male trooper, male inquisitor and male knight were all okay, middle of the pack. Nothing terrible, couple of good moments, but not spectacular.

The worst one for me was the male councilor. Dishonorable mentions for the male smuggler and male agent.

Edited by Ridickilis

• 1 year later...
Consular Male 10/10

It blows my mind that people don't think this is good! He is so calm, confident and arrogant in an unassuming and benevolent way. I love how he comes across as nothing fazes him or causes him to doubt that his way ( the Jedi way) is the best way. I love how even in the face of overwhelming danger he calmly assures the weak and defenseless that they should not be afraid, that they are safe now, he will protect them. The idea that he could fail to do so or that he is in any danger himself, never seems to occur to him and he's so confident about it that it makes others believe it too.

Honestly the Consular voice is what hooked me on this game. It's why I can't seem to settle on any class as an Alt, none of them have that special epicness that Nolan North gives to a LS Consular.

YES!! Finally! I could not for the life of me understand why Male Consular was rated so low or even dumped upon by nearly everybody. I found these same vocal traits inspiring, and the above does a great job of getting at why.

This is the only character I've really played in depth so far, granted; and sometimes I ended up inadvertently making a conversation choice I didn't really want to make, where he ended up saying something that made him sound like a pompous jerk... I can understand a bit of what people are saying...

But I had the good fortune / happy accident of designing a toon who looked like he fit the voice PERFECTLY, and it just made the whole experience for me. Whenever my toon spoke, he just came alive, like it was really him talking. I made a body 2 Miraluka with the leather veil (kind of like sunglasses in effect, only not douchey-looking), young and lean-looking face, clean-shaven with a slight shadow; but I gave him a deep scar that looked like it was made by a blade along one cheek, and ruffled, bleached-out hair like he'd been through some stuff that had really taken a lot out of him. I made him a Sage. This was my first play-through of the game and I knew absolutely nothing about the Consular story beforehand, so imagine how happy I was to discover the Chapter 1 story, with the shielding technique that was literally draining him. I got to play my own back-story that I'd imagined!

I really wanted to play light-side, and I wanted to play an idealized, heroic version of myself, and for the longest time I've had this idea that real strength is strength in restraint. So before I clicked any of my conversation choices, I was reading between the lines and thinking about what the choices really implied about what my toon would say, and tried to pick the one that would best fit this persona.

I occasionally picked something a little sarcastic when he was talking to someone who was full of crap, to give him a bit more color, but for the most part, I played him as a character who was sincere and really wanted to do the right thing. I played him as someone who's ultimate allegiance was to the greater good and not just to the Republic. I played him as someone who wanted to spare his enemy's life whenever possible, who reassured defenseless people who were afraid, and who did not have a big ego. I played him as serene, genuinely compassionate and selfless. I played him as someone who would speak truth to power and who would not cross certain lines, but who was warm and friendly with most people.

All I can say is the Consular vocals were seemingly made for this. There were bland spots yes, where he was just simply doing his duty ("the Jedi way is to serve"... argh!), but overall the more I played the more my character seemed like a real person-- a realistic yet genuinely good person-- and the more I played that way, the more I liked him. As the poster I quoted said, it was that calm strength under fire that really sold it. What's more, I was gaining life insights through the storyline playing this way, and it was like I was getting to test out the kind of person I actually want to be, and being very pleasantly surprised by the results.

The whole Miraluka thing worked well for this too; somehow not being able to see his eyes gave me more freedom of expression, and made him both more cool and more believable. This is the opposite of what I would have expected from an eye-covering, but I think it meant the animators couldn't screw up his acting by injecting eye animations that didn't fit the dialog choice.

TL;DR - There is a way to play Male Consular that makes being a good guy amazingly cool, and the voice acting is perfect for this.

My point being - TRY IT, if you think you're the kind of person who might appreciate this - and enjoy!!

10/10

Edited by Palidasus

YES!! Finally! I could not for the life of me understand why Male Consular was rated so low or even dumped upon by nearly everybody. I found these same vocal traits inspiring, and the above does a great job of getting at why.

This is the only character I've really played in depth so far, granted; and sometimes I ended up inadvertently making a conversation choice I didn't really want to make, where he ended up saying something that made him sound like a pompous jerk... I can understand a bit of what people are saying...

But I had the good fortune / happy accident of designing a toon who looked like he fit the voice PERFECTLY, and it just made the whole experience for me. Whenever my toon spoke, he just came alive, like it was really him talking. I made a body 2 Miraluka with the leather veil (kind of like sunglasses in effect, only not douchey-looking), young and lean-looking face, clean-shaven with a slight shadow; but I gave him a deep scar that looked like it was made by a blade along one cheek, and ruffled, bleached-out hair like he'd been through some stuff that had really taken a lot out of him. I made him a Sage. This was my first play-through of the game and I knew absolutely nothing about the Consular story beforehand, so imagine how happy I was to discover the Chapter 1 story, with the shielding technique that was literally draining him. I got to play my own back-story that I'd imagined!

I really wanted to play light-side, and I wanted to play an idealized, heroic version of myself, and for the longest time I've had this idea that real strength is strength in restraint. So before I clicked any of my conversation choices, I was reading between the lines and thinking about what the choices really implied about what my toon would say, and tried to pick the one that would best fit this persona.

I occasionally picked something a little sarcastic when he was talking to someone who was full of crap, to give him a bit more color, but for the most part, I played him as a character who was sincere and really wanted to do the right thing. I played him as someone who's ultimate allegiance was to the greater good and not just to the Republic. I played him as someone who wanted to spare his enemy's life whenever possible, who reassured defenseless people who were afraid, and who did not have a big ego. I played him as serene, genuinely compassionate and selfless. I played him as someone who would speak truth to power and who would not cross certain lines, but who was warm and friendly with most people.

All I can say is the Consular vocals were seemingly made for this. There were bland spots yes, where he was just simply doing his duty ("the Jedi way is to serve"... argh!), but overall the more I played the more my character seemed like a real person-- a realistic yet genuinely good person-- and the more I played that way, the more I liked him. As the poster I quoted said, it was that calm strength under fire that really sold it. What's more, I was gaining life insights through the storyline playing this way, and it was like I was getting to test out the kind of person I actually want to be, and being very pleasantly surprised by the results.

The whole Miraluka thing worked well for this too; somehow not being able to see his eyes gave me more freedom of expression, and made him both more cool and more believable. This is the opposite of what I would have expected from an eye-covering, but I think it meant the animators couldn't screw up his acting by injecting eye animations that didn't fit the dialog choice.

TL;DR - There is a way to play Male Consular that makes being a good guy amazingly cool, and the voice acting is perfect for this.

My point being - TRY IT, if you think you're the kind of person who might appreciate this - and enjoy!!

10/10

I'll admit, the Nolan North's job with the consular voice is starting to grow on me since I made a Miraluka. Though it took playing through as a Sith Inquisitor first before I could play a Miraluka without being freaked out. The cold, expressionless Sith masks took some adapting too, but they were so amazing to look at. Especially the one I have my Darth Imperious wearing. Best as I can describe it is that it's like a pope hat, but with a plan, face-less mask. And mine is orange with white trim. It's really so awesome to look at.

But I digress, and am getting really far off topic.

A personal favorite voice of mine is the Male Sith Inquisitors'. He does a deadpan snarker routine very well. And snarkiness is always good in my books. I also enjoy the Male Sith Warrior's, as he fits the class story very well. Good ol' Varric as a Trooper is pretty good, though I think he may've done a better role as the Smuggler. But that's just me.

Kinda funny how your like or dislike for a voice can change depending on how you make your character look and how you play them...

Overall though, I think most all of the voices are well suited.

My favorites are female agent (easily tops, and she's often switching accents for missions - always spot on), female inquisitor, female smuggler and both male/female warrior.

The only voices that lull me to sleep are both male and female consular. Since it's the same class, I tend to wonder if it is just that class / story. Everything is maybe supposed to be said with calm and restraint? Often just comes off as boring instead of awesome to me.

It's so hard for me to pick a favorite because I LOVE female Smuggler (Kath Soucie) and Female Agent (Jo Wyatt) and Grey DeLisle as female bounty hunter.

Yeah these are my favourites too, especially female BH. I also love Crysta Markon's voice acting and phrases; the whole "southern gal" thing really suits a hunter I think.

It's so hard for me to pick a favorite because I LOVE female Smuggler (Kath Soucie) and Female Agent (Jo Wyatt) and Grey DeLisle as female bounty hunter.

YEah I LOVE LOVE LOVE the female Bounty Hunter, she sounds so assertive and arrogant and sarcastic, great acting there. Female Agent is one of my tops as well.

Honorable mention to Male Smuggler, at the start he sounded like he should be on the Flintstones but it really grew on me. :D

While I think all the actors does a great job(Except the Consular actors, but that is because I personaly do not like anything about the class or story)

I especially like the female smuggler and male Warrior.

The Smuggler, at least until Makeb, is extremely cute and funny, while in the Hutt expansion, it sounds like she has a sore throat most of the time.

The Warrior is awesome through and through, Dark side, light side, it doesn't matter, he nails it every time.

Dark side female Knight is also cool, really hits the whole "annoyed with the jedi rules thing" on the head =)