Michael Arndt (Hunger Games, Toy Story 3) will be one of the EP7 screenwriters

Argure

1. Note how utterly derailed this thread has become. Discussion of screenwriters transformed into an argument about whether a corrupt Sith politician is a better villain then an insane pink teddy bear.

2. They were both well written villains. Toy Story 3 was an enjoyable, family-oriented, animated film. Star Wars is an enjoyable, epic space saga filled with Lightsaber-wielding warriors and politicians with Force Lightning*. Comparing the two is like comparing an apple and an orange. It isn't which is better, it's which you enjoy more.

On a side note, it is ironic: Pretty sure that neither Disney/Pixar OR Lucasfilms planned on a second film**.

*: Referring to SW as the Films, not the Films+EU. Toy Story doesn't have any backgrounds like the EU that Star Wars does. Quite frankly, I know of a lot of people who would gladly forfeit the EU of Star Wars and have the Force be as mysterious as the reason for why the Toys are alive. These are not my personal views, however.

**: Technically, Lucas DID have a backup plan: If the first Star Wars movie failed (ROFL) he had a sequel written to try and revive it. The sequel evolved into a book whose name escapes me.

Good point. They really are apples and oranges.

1. Note how utterly derailed this thread has become. Discussion of screenwriters transformed into an argument about whether a corrupt Sith politician is a better villain then an insane pink teddy bear.

2. They were both well written villains. Toy Story 3 was an enjoyable, family-oriented, animated film. Star Wars is an enjoyable, epic space saga filled with Lightsaber-wielding warriors and politicians with Force Lightning*. Comparing the two is like comparing an apple and an orange. It isn't which is better, it's which you enjoy more.

On a side note, it is ironic: Pretty sure that neither Disney/Pixar OR Lucasfilms planned on a second film**.

*: Referring to SW as the Films, not the Films+EU. Toy Story doesn't have any backgrounds like the EU that Star Wars does. Quite frankly, I know of a lot of people who would gladly forfeit the EU of Star Wars and have the Force be as mysterious as the reason for why the Toys are alive. These are not my personal views, however.

**: Technically, Lucas DID have a backup plan: If the first Star Wars movie failed (ROFL) he had a sequel written to try and revive it. The sequel evolved into a book whose name escapes me.

actually Star Wars and Toy Story are closer then you think. First off they are BOTH family fun adventure films. Remember 5 of the Star Wars movies are rated PG. (one of them even has poop jokes) The Prequels are animated films at these point with entire battle scenes completely done in a computer. The entire gungan vs the Battle droids battle is completely CG same with the Clones vs the Droids on Mustifar.

The special editions are getting close to be considered full animated films at this point with the crap ton of crappy cg animated stuff added.

Look at the main characters

Woody is esential Luke. Instead of the force Woody believes in Andy and working for Andy.

Buzz is Han.

Pig is R2D2

T-rex is C-3PO.

really Toy Story 3 IS a star wars movie. Just keep the plot the same and replace the places with alien worlds and there you go.'

edit: you are thinking of Splinter of the Minds Eye, the book sequel that Lucas had written.

Edited by sstanks

actually Star Wars and Toy Story are closer then you think. First off they are BOTH family fun adventure films. Remember 5 of the Star Wars movies are rated PG. (one of them even has poop jokes) The Prequels are animated films at these point with entire battle scenes completely done in a computer. The entire gungan vs the Battle droids battle is completely CG same with the Clones vs the Droids on Mustifar.

The special editions are getting close to be considered full animated films at this point with the crap ton of crappy cg animated stuff added.

Look at the main characters

Woody is esential Luke. Instead of the force Woody believes in Andy and working for Andy.

Buzz is Han.

Pig is R2D2

T-rex is C-3PO.

really Toy Story 3 IS a star wars movie. Just keep the plot the same and replace the places with alien worlds and there you go.'

edit: you are thinking of Splinter of the Minds Eye, the book sequel that Lucas had written.

First of all, I don't see much character connection with the examples you listed. Luke, for one, is a reluctant hero, joining the Alliance basically because the other option killed his family (remember, he wanted to head off to the Imperial Academy originally). Woody gladly takes a position of leadership among the toys, and is even threatened when Buzz comes along. Aside from being spacefaring, nothing strikes me as similar between Han and Buzz. What is the same between the droids and Ham and Rex, anyway?

The plot is also different. TS is essentially a friendship story that deals with overcoming negative emotions such as jealousy. SW is more of a heroics kind of a deal, with valiant, sword-wielding knights overcoming a black-clad villain.

Additionally, thanks for the help on remembering SotME.

First of all, I don't see much character connection with the examples you listed. Luke, for one, is a reluctant hero, joining the Alliance basically because the other option killed his family (remember, he wanted to head off to the Imperial Academy originally). Woody gladly takes a position of leadership among the toys, and is even threatened when Buzz comes along. Aside from being spacefaring, nothing strikes me as similar between Han and Buzz. What is the same between the droids and Ham and Rex, anyway?

The plot is also different. TS is essentially a friendship story that deals with overcoming negative emotions such as jealousy. SW is more of a heroics kind of a deal, with valiant, sword-wielding knights overcoming a black-clad villain.

Additionally, thanks for the help on remembering SotME.

Obviously Woody wasn't a farmer who joined the alliance after his parents were killed thats' just stupid however they share the same traits.

Buzz is the cocky flashy hero like Han is. Ham is like R2D2 because he is the one in control all the time. Think Toy Story 2 where he jumps into driver seat. Rex is like C-3po due to his bumbling nature and affeminate voice and behavior.

Again as for the plots you are taking it too literal. Look at the themes and story structure.

Toy Story 1 is a rescue mission where they must enter the evil lair to rescue a friend from the clutches of an enemy. The Hero must overcome fear to correct a mistake he did and save his friend from an evil he can't possible defeat.

Toy Story 2, Similar rescue theme except the overall theme is death (remember not being played with is considered death to toys). Woody sees a way to avoid death by going to Japan. In Star Wars terms that would be the equivlent of a Jedi who is afraid of death turns to the Dark Side. But his friends come to save him.... hey that would actually make a pretty good Star Wars movie.

Toy Story 3. We already talked about how this is very similar to Star Wars. Again all you have to do is change the names of the places and what the characters are to see how it IS a star wars movies. The plot and the themes are similar in ALL adventure films.

You and others keep bring up the fact that they are toys so it can't be like Star Wars or that it's just a kids film ( even though Star Wars IS a kids film) Have you ever heard of "Maus"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus

It is considered one of the greatest comics of all times. It retells the Hollocaust except that the Jews are mice and the Nazis are cats. Just because the characters are animals or toys has absolutely nothing to do with how good a story is or how amazing the writing is.

It would be very short sited to dissmiss something as for kids just because it uses toys, or animals as it's main characters. Toy Story 3 is a fine example of great writing and if Michael Arndt can write a script half as good as Toy Story 3 we could have a movie better then Empire Strikes Back.

Edited by sstanks

Most of us have seen the Phantom Menace... it can't get much worse than that. I think the SW franchise can only get better from here on out. (I hope)

You really think TPM was that bad? I enjoyed it. The fight between Obi-wan and Darth Maul is sick.

You really think TPM was that bad? I enjoyed it. The fight between Obi-wan and Darth Maul is sick.

My only issue with Ep. 1 was it was way too kids based considering the bigger percentage of SW Fans are adults and young adults at that time.

Ep. 2 was way too romantic and Ep. 3 was my favorite of the three because it had good balance.

Obviously Woody wasn't a farmer who joined the alliance after his parents were killed thats' just stupid however they share the same traits.

Buzz is the cocky flashy hero like Han is. Ham is like R2D2 because he is the one in control all the time. Think Toy Story 2 where he jumps into driver seat. Rex is like C-3po due to his bumbling nature and affeminate voice and behavior.

Again as for the plots you are taking it too literal. Look at the themes and story structure.

Toy Story 1 is a rescue mission where they must enter the evil lair to rescue a friend from the clutches of an enemy. The Hero must overcome fear to correct a mistake he did and save his friend from an evil he can't possible defeat.

Toy Story 2, Similar rescue theme except the overall theme is death (remember not being played with is considered death to toys). Woody sees a way to avoid death by going to Japan. In Star Wars terms that would be the equivlent of a Jedi who is afraid of death turns to the Dark Side. But his friends come to save him.... hey that would actually make a pretty good Star Wars movie.

Toy Story 3. We already talked about how this is very similar to Star Wars. Again all you have to do is change the names of the places and what the characters are to see how it IS a star wars movies. The plot and the themes are similar in ALL adventure films.

You and others keep bring up the fact that they are toys so it can't be like Star Wars or that it's just a kids film ( even though Star Wars IS a kids film) Have you ever heard of "Maus"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus

It is considered one of the greatest comics of all times. It retells the Hollocaust except that the Jews are mice and the Nazis are cats. Just because the characters are animals or toys has absolutely nothing to do with how good a story is or how amazing the writing is.

It would be very short sited to dissmiss something as for kids just because it uses toys, or animals as it's main characters. Toy Story 3 is a fine example of great writing and if Michael Arndt can write a script half as good as Toy Story 3 we could have a movie better then Empire Strikes Back.

I wasn't analyzing the plot in that sense. I also wasn't writing the TS series off as "for kids" or "poorly written" (I did say I enjoyed it). However, they are very different. Using your post:

TS1, a very good movie, considered a classic in it's genre. It still left a lasting standard in family movies today, similar to how Star Wars affected the Sci-Fi genre. The difference in villains is rather large: It's a "that mean kid who keeps on breaking my toys" character viewed from a Toy's perspective. The Emperor is a robed sorceror in charge of legions of idiotically loyal soldiers, viewed from the perspective of a band of rebels who wish to overthrow him. Additonally, we have Vader (portrayed at the time as nothing more then superpowered stormtrooper with a mysterious past) and Tarkin (a sadistic mass-murderer willing to eliminate a planet that looks startlingly like Earth). TS2-TS3 brings us Al (A greedy toy collector) and Lotso (Crazed pink stuffed animal and the point of much debate on this thread).

Storywise, TS1 is a journey about a character correcting a wrong. Could it fit into a SW film? Perhaps, but the wrongs we see in SW (Wiping out a planet, cutting down a defenseless old friend, slaughtering innocent children, etc) are much harder to correct then knocking a sturdy, plastic being out a a window, by accident, no less (on a psychological level, apologizing for acting jealous, or inadvertantly hurting someone's feelings). Woody felt remorse for hurting Buzz. Palpatine murdered a disarmed Windu and never looked back.

TS2 is based more on fear. Not, as you put it, however, fear of death. Woody is afraid of being forgotten, akin to a child's fear of not being loved by his/her parents. In a toy museum, children would see him every day. They would not, however, love him the way Andy loved him. Much different from the terror the Empire and the Sith inflicted on the civilians of, say, the planet Maul and Savage landed on in TCW. Maul switched on his blade in front of a group of children (reference to Vader in ep. 3, most likely), and it was implied that they were dead judging by the burning village in the next episode.

TS3, in plot, seemed dual in purpose: Bring back the now-teenaged children who watched he first two episodes, as well as bringing forth a new audience. It accomplished this well. The prison-break scene was a treat for everyone, and there were some emotional scenes (Incinerator, Andy giving his toys to their next owner) to add suspense for the young ones. This is rather different from SW, as there is no match to the "trouble in paradise" theme of the Preschool, and nothing similar to the "passing on the mantle" theme of the end scene. These are the major themes of the film.

In conclusion, TS seems to be written in more of an emotional context then SW, which focuses on classic "good vs. evil". I never said that Arndt would not be a good thing to bring to SW, in fact I believe a more emotion-focused SW movie will be a very good thing. I was merely saying that TS and SW are not one in the same, and that it's a matter of preference as to which you enjoy the most.

that's not even debatable. Toy Story 3 managed to create more emotion in it's scenes then even Empire. The scene where Han is lowered into the carbonite chamber is great but the incinerator scene is far more dramatic and gripping.

Like I said Lots o is far more menacing villain then Emperor palapentine could ever hope to be.

come to think about it, i actually also have to agree with you on this.

I wasn't analyzing the plot in that sense. I also wasn't writing the TS series off as "for kids" or "poorly written" (I did say I enjoyed it). However, they are very different. Using your post:

TS1, a very good movie, considered a classic in it's genre. It still left a lasting standard in family movies today, similar to how Star Wars affected the Sci-Fi genre. The difference in villains is rather large: It's a "that mean kid who keeps on breaking my toys" character viewed from a Toy's perspective. The Emperor is a robed sorceror in charge of legions of idiotically loyal soldiers, viewed from the perspective of a band of rebels who wish to overthrow him. Additonally, we have Vader (portrayed at the time as nothing more then superpowered stormtrooper with a mysterious past) and Tarkin (a sadistic mass-murderer willing to eliminate a planet that looks startlingly like Earth). TS2-TS3 brings us Al (A greedy toy collector) and Lotso (Crazed pink stuffed animal and the point of much debate on this thread).

Storywise, TS1 is a journey about a character correcting a wrong. Could it fit into a SW film? Perhaps, but the wrongs we see in SW (Wiping out a planet, cutting down a defenseless old friend, slaughtering innocent children, etc) are much harder to correct then knocking a sturdy, plastic being out a a window, by accident, no less (on a psychological level, apologizing for acting jealous, or inadvertantly hurting someone's feelings). Woody felt remorse for hurting Buzz. Palpatine murdered a disarmed Windu and never looked back.

TS2 is based more on fear. Not, as you put it, however, fear of death. Woody is afraid of being forgotten, akin to a child's fear of not being loved by his/her parents. In a toy museum, children would see him every day. They would not, however, love him the way Andy loved him. Much different from the terror the Empire and the Sith inflicted on the civilians of, say, the planet Maul and Savage landed on in TCW. Maul switched on his blade in front of a group of children (reference to Vader in ep. 3, most likely), and it was implied that they were dead judging by the burning village in the next episode.

TS3, in plot, seemed dual in purpose: Bring back the now-teenaged children who watched he first two episodes, as well as bringing forth a new audience. It accomplished this well. The prison-break scene was a treat for everyone, and there were some emotional scenes (Incinerator, Andy giving his toys to their next owner) to add suspense for the young ones. This is rather different from SW, as there is no match to the "trouble in paradise" theme of the Preschool, and nothing similar to the "passing on the mantle" theme of the end scene. These are the major themes of the film.

In conclusion, TS seems to be written in more of an emotional context then SW, which focuses on classic "good vs. evil". I never said that Arndt would not be a good thing to bring to SW, in fact I believe a more emotion-focused SW movie will be a very good thing. I was merely saying that TS and SW are not one in the same, and that it's a matter of preference as to which you enjoy the most.

ok wow right off the bat. Star Wars is not sci fi, it's fantasy, it's a classic fantasy story reimagined.

An old knight takes a young hero with him on an adventure filled with magic to save a princess from the black knight.

Don't get much more fantasy then that.

Yes they through technology in there but it's still a fantasy movie. Just like Firefly isn't a Sci fi show it's a western.

TS1 you are still not getting it. We are talking about themes. Ok look at this have you ever heard of the film the Seven Samurai? It's the story about how 7 Samurai are hired to protect a small town from bandits. This movie was remade as the Magnficent 7 which is a western movie that uses the same plot and themes. But the setting, tools and other things are changed to make it fit into a western. It doesn't matter if the Empeor can shoot lightning out of his fingers or controls 100 or 1 million people. That isn't who he is. As a character he is just a politician who manipulated people to gain power and then uses fear to hold on to that power. Just like Lots-o did.

TS2 i'm sorry if you didn't pick up on the theme, it is fear of death. Its extremely clear that's what happens to the toys when they are forgot that IS death to them. Remember he even has the death nightmare where Andy throws him away because he is broken.

TS3..... wow I think you need to rewatch TS3 that's all I have to say about that. You are clearly mixing up themes with scenes.

The Toy Story movies ARE Star Wars movies. Just like Pirates of the Carribean is also a Star Wars movies.

Change the names and the places but keep the beats and themes the same and there you go it's a Star Wars movie.

My only issue with Ep. 1 was it was way too kids based considering the bigger percentage of SW Fans are adults and young adults at that time.

Ep. 2 was way too romantic and Ep. 3 was my favorite of the three because it had good balance.

No, episode 2 wasn't too romantic, it was crappy romance. There's nothing wrong with romance, but that romance story was awful.

3 was boring if you ask me. Anakin was sitting at Coruscant whinning most of the time.

No, episode 2 wasn't too romantic, it was crappy romance. There's nothing wrong with romance, but that romance story was awful.

3 was boring if you ask me. Anakin was sitting at Coruscant whinning most of the time.

it just amazes me that no one in the Jedi order could see that Anakin was very clearly on the path to the dark side.

it just amazes me that no one in the Jedi order could see that Anakin was very clearly on the path to the dark side.

It's because Lucas has no social awareness. The romances were bad because Lucas doesn't know how to write a believable romance. The character's perceptions and personalities were hard to swallow because they were stale and unrealistic. You'd think, from watching the movies, that Lucas has never socialized with another human being.

All three of the movies are awful from a writing standpoint. They have impressive cinematics and over the top choreography, which is enough to draw some people in, but they are all written poorly.

Episode 1 has no main character and it's plot divulges in to too many directions. The characters and often their actions are hard to believe and it's fairly clear that Liam Neeson didn't give a damn about his role, and I don't blame him. The Pod Racing scene is the only great and memorable scene in the movie, even spawning it's own videogames, but is all cinematics. By popular opinion, Maul is also an up for the movie but Lucas doesn't build him at all and kills him off quickly.

Episode 2 the characterization gets even worse. It becomes increasingly clear that Lucas has no idea how to write believable human beings and nobody on the writing staff has the balls to stand up to him like they did in the original trilogy, meaning most of his ideas go unfiltered. The romance feels forced because it is, it would of taken another writer to make it feel real.

Episode 3 Anakin's characterization finally reaches the point of 100% unbelievability. Nobody around him notices his personal anguish despite how incredibly obvious it is. You don't need the force to see that he's a troubled young man and if literally anybody had sat down and talked to him in a friendly manner he would not of become Vader. Finally the fight at the end is ridiculous, I wish I had that .gif of them twirling the lightsabers around each other for several seconds for no reason. It's most people's 'favorite' because, even though the writing is no better, there's more visual emphasis then there is writing and story and the cinematics are well done for the time.

Edited by LegendaryBlade

This is a funny read you might enjoy... read the fake conversion between Lucas, a Lucas Marketing Manager and Dave Filoni (Clone Wars). Here. All kidding aside, I thought it was one of the funniest fake dialogues I have read in a while.

Edited by Tomb-Stone

It's because Lucas has no social awareness. The romances were bad because Lucas doesn't know how to write a believable romance. The character's perceptions and personalities were hard to swallow because they were stale and unrealistic. You'd think, from watching the movies, that Lucas has never socialized with another human being.

All three of the movies are awful from a writing standpoint. They have impressive cinematics and over the top choreography, which is enough to draw some people in, but they are all written poorly.

Episode 1 has no main character and it's plot divulges in to too many directions. The characters and often their actions are hard to believe and it's fairly clear that Liam Neeson didn't give a damn about his role, and I don't blame him. The Pod Racing scene is the only great and memorable scene in the movie, even spawning it's own videogames, but is all cinematics. By popular opinion, Maul is also an up for the movie but Lucas doesn't build him at all and kills him off quickly.

Episode 2 the characterization gets even worse. It becomes increasingly clear that Lucas has no idea how to write believable human beings and nobody on the writing staff has the balls to stand up to him like they did in the original trilogy, meaning most of his ideas go unfiltered. The romance feels forced because it is, it would of taken another writer to make it feel real.

Episode 3 Anakin's characterization finally reaches the point of 100% unbelievability. Nobody around him notices his personal anguish despite how incredibly obvious it is. You don't need the force to see that he's a troubled young man and if literally anybody had sat down and talked to him in a friendly manner he would not of become Vader. Finally the fight at the end is ridiculous, I wish I had that .gif of them twirling the lightsabers around each other for several seconds for no reason. It's most people's 'favorite' because, even though the writing is no better, there's more visual emphasis then there is writing and story and the cinematics are well done for the time.

Your missing "in my opinion" somewhere in there, not everyone thinks the way that you do and have problems with the characters or the movies.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Your missing "in my opinion" somewhere in there, not everyone thinks the way that you do and have problems with the characters or the movies.

Haven't I seen you make almost this exact post before?

Believe it or not, there are typically accepted writing standards that people appreciate in literature and fiction. Movies like the Prequels and the Twilight series are well below that standard, they lack certain common values in writing that makes them seem more like fanfiction.

But if you disagree with absolutely everything i've said then there still stands one objective fact. The characters do not act in a realistic manner and the romance between Anakin and Padme is not really believable, and in the end is very forced. That's what I mean when I say that it is stale, and was the original purpose of my post. Which you didn't even respond to, because you'd rather make witty statements that don't actually respond to any portion of a post.

Edited by LegendaryBlade

This is pretty much spot on.

The one underlying theme throughout those three movies, was that it was just not believable. The originals at least had some authenticity to them and didn't feel forced. I did enjoy the prequels, but undeniably, there was something missing. Disney and an Oscar winning writer taking over the helm is undoubtedly going to improve this franchise.

I would close with "in my opinion", but considering I typed this, odds are it is. ;)

Edited by Pirana

But if you disagree with absolutely everything i've said then there still stands one objective fact. The characters do not act in a realistic manner and the romance between Anakin and Padme is not really believable, and in the end is very forced. .

I think you need a lesson on fact and opinion, you act like everyone agree's with what you say. And then with the statement above its like you think you know the facts better than us.

Why in the world would you want realism in Star Wars? I figured futuristic men fighting with saber swords and mystical energies was plain enough to say SW is fantasy.

And how would you know how people would be like in that type of world?

I mean, just 200 years ago romances and relationships went down allot differently than they do today. Hell, 400 years ago most of them were forced.

I think you need a lesson on fact and opinion, you act like everyone agree's with what you say. And then with the statement above its like you think you know the facts better than us.

Why in the world would you want realism in Star Wars? I figured futuristic men fighting with saber swords and mystical energies was plain enough to say SW is fantasy.

And how would you know how people would be like in that type of world?

I mean, just 200 years ago romances and relationships went down allot differently than they do today. Hell, 400 years ago most of them were forced.

No, I know what the difference is between fact and opinion. If you like characters that act in an unrealistic manner, that is your opinion. It is my opinion that I do not. What is a fact is that they don't act like human being generally do.

Why would I want realism in characterization? Well, I don't know, how about you watch the original trilogy? The character's are believable, and more importantly we have an identifiable main character to follow, and also voice the questions the audience wants to voice. By the time we're a fourth of the way in to the movie, we meet Han; a roguish but enjoyable character that the audience may identify with. He's also a believable person.

After that, as the trilogy progresses, we are introduced to a romance that feels a lot more real; it's developed better and produced in a way that brings intrigue from the audience.

In the prequels it often feels like Anakin does more to push Padme away than to attract her. Perhaps we just don't see any of the actual romantic portion of their lives, but then that's immediately an issue. We have the one scene in the field where Anakin basically says "My love for you is like a lovely river of lovingly flowing love" and then she swoons. It really feels like a case of "They fall in love because it says they do in the script".

Even most people who like the prequels can generally admit that the romance told in it was -bad-.

The thing is, Lucas has good ideas but they need a filter. We see that in the original trilogy. People were willing to say "no that sounds dumb" to Lucas when he suggests things like the final fight between Luke and Vader take place in "the inside of a volcano that looks like hell" and "Vader picks the Emperor up and walks in to the lava with him over his head". His ideas are unfiltered in the prequels, and therefore they all get in. Which is why the first movie especially often feels like it's going in four or five different directions.

Lucas says it himself. There's a video of his own reaction after the first staff screening and he says "You know, I think the problem is we tried to do too many things". He tries to remedy that in the second film. Tries.