You know you're trying to be milked when...

AGSThomas

History lesson.

So there was a group of people who vociferously attacked the random dye packs. They complained and complained and told EA that they needed to offer specific colored dye packs for sale - no randomizer. They complained that randomizing the dye packs was an unfair business practice, milking players, gambling, all sorts of mean, nasty, ugly things.

The players said, yeah, they knew the randomizer model was generating a lot of revenue for EA but that EA should put up the specific colored packs anyway, even if they cost a lot.

So then EA takes that customer feedback to heart. They hear that a lot of players want to be able to buy black/black directly, without the frustration of the randomizer. Of course, EA still needs to fund the game and the randomizer model put the cost of black/black pretty high. Probably way, way higher than $20 a pack.

So EA puts that pack up for about $20.

And now you come here and complain that EA gave the players exactly what the players asked for.

Smooth. Brilliant! AWESOME! Nicely played. :rolleyes:

LOL, painfully truthful.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True story...

People choose to forget the facts in DarthTHCs post when it no longer suits their agenda...

Driz

Yea, except for the assumption that I, as the OP complained about random packs. Which I never did. Actually, I have argued that any sort of random in a game is a good thing.

Yea, except for the assumption that I, as the OP complained about random packs. Which I never did. Actually, I have argued that any sort of random in a game is a good thing.

Oh I see...you are fine with paying potentially hundreds of dollars for a chance to get a BB/WW one time use dye....but you think paying 20 dollars for a guaranteed BB/WW one time use dye is a disgrace...or whatever the Italian word in your OP means?

So you support the massively expensive random method of obtaining dyes but you feel that just 20 bucks for guaranteed results is milking...

Thanks for clarifying...an interesting point of view you have there...

Driz

Edited by ImperialSun

Thanks for the lesson which I already knew but, again, you need help with your reading comprehension. Some things in sentences - especially when being expressed in a casual forum, are inferred. Must I type "You know you are trying to be milked [by Bioware] when... for you to understand? :rolleyes:

While I understand what you meant to say, that sentence doesn't mean what you seem to think it does. If you are trying to be milked that means you are the one making the attempt, not Bioware. You basically said "You know you're trying to get them to milk you when..." when you meant "You know they're trying to milk you when..."

Edited by Asrei

Oh I see...you are fine with paying potentially hundreds of dollars for a chance to get a BB/WW one time use dye....but you think paying 20 dollars for a guaranteed BB/WW one time use dye is a disgrace...or whatever the Italian word in your OP means?

So you support the massively expensive random method of obtaining dyes but you feel that just 20 bucks for guaranteed results is milking...

Thanks for clarifying...an interesting point of view you have there...

Driz

I don't pay anything except a subscription so I don't know what you're talking about. My argument that I apparently have to type 20 times, is that they are more concerned with charging their subscribers the maximum amount they can and not putting enough back into the game. Someone said, "Well, they are coming out with Arenas LOL" and they are also ditching 8 man ranked Warzones and this is after 8 months of no PvP update. Lazy or cheap?

Someone else said, "They are coming out with Space Battles LMAO" To that I answer "Great! When?"

As I said to Andryah, I want to see BW take less cheap ways out. Recycled Content (TFB for a year anyone?) comparatively small expansion, Lack of PvP updates, Discontinuation of class stories in favor of cheaper planet stories, etc. All the while they are making hand over fist with the Cartel Market.

Edited by AGSThomas

While I understand what you meant to say, that sentence doesn't mean what you seem to think it does. If you are trying to be milked that means you are the one making the attempt, not Bioware. You basically said "You know you're trying to get them to milk you when..." when you meant "You know they're trying to milk you when..."

Semantics

Semantics

Yes, and as I said i understood what you meant, mainly because what you actually said was completely absurd. If you're going to attack some ones reading comprehension, you should at least make sure you are actually saying what you think you're saying.

Yes, and as I said i understood what you meant, mainly because what you actually said was completely absurd. If you're going to attack some ones reading comprehension, you should at least make sure you are actually saying what you think you're saying.

Its semantics because it should be read like this. "You know you are trying to be milked [by Bioware] when.." There is more than one way to say things in the English language, you know? Somehow everyone in these 20 some odd pages of responses were able to follow except for the one dude who brought it up to try and be cute. Probably because he had no real argument to begin with.

Edited by AGSThomas

Come on.. let's be honest here...you have complained about just about everything. Which initially was quite confusing. But after a time.. it became possible to glean out of your list of complaints that what you are really upset about is no more class story. And.. in fairness to you.......you helped us out with that by eventually being honest and pointing out multiple times on multiple complaints that you were complaining about something you did not actually care about, and that you were being deliberately rhetorical.

So I get it. You are upset that they are making money, but do not appear to be investing any of that money in what you personally want...mainly more class story. Got it. Understood.

IMO, anyone that truly feels they are being milked by an MMO, and not getting their needs met.. would find an MMO that meets their needs. It's not like it's a desert out there in the marketplace of MMOs. But hey, each person needs to decide for themselves.

Edited by Andryah

Come on.. let's be honest here...you have complained about just about everything. Which initially was quite confusing. But after a time.. it became possible to glean out of your list of complaints that what you are really upset about is no more class story. And.. in fairness to you.......you helped us out with that by eventually being honest and pointing out multiple times on multiple complaints that you were complaining about something you did not actually care about, and that you were being deliberately rhetorical.

So I get it. You are upset that they are making money, but do not appear to be investing any of that money in what you personally want...mainly more class story. Got it. Understood.

IMO, anyone that truly feels they are being milked by an MMO, and not getting their needs met.. would find an MMO that meets their needs. It's not like it's a desert out there in the marketplace of MMOs.

Yes, but not just class stories. A real expansion too. But if you want to look back in my posts you wont find anything complaining about random packs. Like you said, I want Bioware to make a lot of money. But I also want them to put more back into it.

In regards to feeling that you are being milked, you're right. That's why I take breaks from this game. I wish it weren't the case.

Edited by AGSThomas

I don't pay anything except a subscription so I don't know what you're talking about. My argument that I apparently have to type 20 times, is that they are more concerned with charging their subscribers the maximum amount they can and not putting enough back into the game. Someone said, "Well, they are coming out with Arenas LOL" and they are also ditching 8 man ranked Warzones and this is after 8 months of no PvP update. Lazy or cheap?

Someone else said, "They are coming out with Space Battles LMAO" To that I answer "Great! When?"

As I said to Andryah, I want to see BW take less cheap ways out. Recycled Content (TFB for a year anyone?) comparatively small expansion, Lack of PvP updates, Discontinuation of class stories in favor of cheaper planet stories, etc. All the while they are making hand over fist with the Cartel Market.

Your OP made a clear jab at $20 dyes being a disgrace...later you state you are actually in favour of a random model....which in the context of your original jab about $20 dyes means you are in favour of a manner of acquisition that is generally massively more expensive than $20...so which is it exactly?

How can $20 dyes be disgraceful if you favour the much more expensive route?

Driz

Your OP made a clear jab at $20 dyes being a disgrace...later you state you are actually in favour of a random model....which in the context of your original jab about $20 dyes means you are in favour of a manner of acquisition that is generally massively more expensive than $20...so which is it exactly?

How can $20 dyes be disgraceful if you favour the much more expensive route?

Driz

I'll answer this with a short story. Way back when I used to play WoW and during the Burning Crusade they came out with paid race changes. Something that we never expected them to do. They charged 15$ for one race change. Its similar to a dye in that its mostly vanity. There are some racial bonus' that change but I digress. I never felt like I was being milked by Blizzard because they put so much back into their game.

I see Cartel Market deal after deal and less and less quality updates to this game. RoTHC was... well I didn't know an "expansion" could be so small. I was literally shocked when they labeled it an expansion. 5 more levels, 1 Op, 4 rehashed HM flashpoints, Makeb, (a planet of quest hubs connected only by flightpaths and jam packed with mobs to make you take as long as possible to get through it) No new class stories, a few new pieces of gear, and that was about it. When it came out there was actually LESS end game things to do at 55 than there was at 50!

Fast forward to now. 2 years later since the game has launched. The space project is the single thing that is being hinted at that would actually significantly enhance gameplay. But that hasn't stopped them from milking the cartel market. They continue to make money and put less quality back into the game. That's what bothers me about the dyes.

Edited by AGSThomas

I'll answer this with a short story. Way back when I used to play WoW and during the Burning Crusade they came out with paid race changes. Something that we never expected them to do. They charged 15$ for one race change. Its similar to a dye in that its mostly vanity. There are some racial bonus' that change but I digress. I never felt like I was being milked by Blizzard because they put so much back into their game.

I see Cartel Market deal after deal and less and less quality updates to this game. RoTHC was... well I didn't know an "expansion" could be so small. I was literally shocked when they labeled it an expansion. 5 more levels, 1 Op, 4 rehashed HM flashpoints, Makeb, (a planet of quest hubs connected only by flightpaths and jam packed with mobs to make you take as long as possible to get through it) No new class stories, a few new pieces of gear, and that was about it. When it came out there was actually LESS end game things to do at 55 than there was at 50!

Fast forward to now. 2 years later since the game has launched. The space project is the single thing that is being hinted at that would actually significantly enhance gameplay. But that hasn't stopped them from milking the cartel market. They continue to make money and put less quality back into the game. That's what bothers me about the dyes.

You're missing some things.

RotHC was a $10 expansion. $10. 20-25% of the cost of patches in other games like WoW. You cannot farily compare the scope of RotHC to any WoW expansion.

EA had for a very long time lapsed tragically on releasing new content for this game, on that I am with you 100%.

However, recently, they have improved dramatically. The previous patch and next patch added real content to the game. There may be more in the future. And I'm ignoring the "SSSP" because I always discount rumors I know next to nothing about.

Now have they released content specifically that you want, which seems to be class stories primarily? No. And they seem extraordinarily unlikely to given recent events and even communication from their development team.

That leaves you with a decision though, doesn't it?

Are you willing to discount developer statements and actions that point to no more class stories, and keep hoping there will be some? How many times and for how long are you willing to live with disappointment when class stories fail to materialize, patch after patch, expac after expac?

Are you willing to accept the writing on the wall and live with the game without the expectation of additional class stories, and have a very very minuscule chance of being pleasantly surprised if they ever do more?

Or are you willing to do neither of those things and instead find another game?

If your primary, overwhelming enjoyment of this game derives from class stories, I don't think you have many other options, unfortunately.

You're missing some things.

RotHC was a $10 expansion. $10. 20-25% of the cost of patches in other games like WoW. You cannot farily compare the scope of RotHC to any WoW expansion.

EA had for a very long time lapsed tragically on releasing new content for this game, on that I am with you 100%.

However, recently, they have improved dramatically. The previous patch and next patch added real content to the game. There may be more in the future. And I'm ignoring the "SSSP" because I always discount rumors I know next to nothing about.

Now have they released content specifically that you want, which seems to be class stories primarily? No. And they seem extraordinarily unlikely to given recent events and even communication from their development team.

That leaves you with a decision though, doesn't it?

Are you willing to discount developer statements and actions that point to no more class stories, and keep hoping there will be some? How many times and for how long are you willing to live with disappointment when class stories fail to materialize, patch after patch, expac after expac?

Are you willing to accept the writing on the wall and live with the game without the expectation of additional class stories, and have a very very minuscule chance of being pleasantly surprised if they ever do more?

Or are you willing to do neither of those things and instead find another game?

If your primary, overwhelming enjoyment of this game derives from class stories, I don't think you have many other options, unfortunately.

Firstly, yes RoTHC can not be compared in scope to a WoW expansion and that was my point. This tiny expansion in 2 years with nothing announced on the horizon?

Secondly, those are all very fair questions. And the general answer that I have is: One day at a time. For now, I have fun with my brother and friends playing, but on this course that could change, as it did once before for me. At that point I'll unsub and wait. And I wish it wouldn't come to that.

Firstly, yes RoTHC can not be compared in scope to a WoW expansion and that was my point. This tiny expansion in 2 years with nothing announced on the horizon?

I can almost guarantee that we will see new paid DLC in one or two months. That is why they are giving out RoTHC for free to subscribers, because they want everyone to be at the level cap when they raise it again.

A real expansion would be good. So would continuing class stories. I have posted my ideas on how to further class stories without an expansion, and perhaps can come up with something for an expansion....Ill think about that one for a while.

...not that my suggestions are important. Most of them are pretty lousy actually. But the good part is that SMART folks, much smarter than me, comment on them and help me improve them to reasonably good ones.

I can almost guarantee that we will see new paid DLC in one or two months. That is why they are giving out RoTHC for free to subscribers, because they want everyone to be at the level cap when they raise it again.

One or Two months is a bit optimistic in my opinion. There would already have been an announcement and offers for pre-orders in place.

Come on.. let's be honest here...you have complained about just about everything.
Welcome to the machine. Always-on complaining personality types (the WhinySpoiledSaggyBoobieBarbie dolls and their NarcissisticLimpyDickyKen doll counterparts) will always exist ... if not thrive ... in a faceless and anonymous digital community. Some of them use forum feedback as a tool to illustrate true shortcomings - though not all of them care enough about the game or its community to offer up a realistic solution with their diatribes. Some are here for the forum PvP and enjoy trying to piss people off. While others are here merely as smear merchants - be they self propelled, water army moles or paid astroturfers.

They are small in number, tending to congregate and hang out in places like this. Fortunately many of 'em don't even play the game, which means logging in and playing provides sanctuary from them. Unfortunately their sheer volume of forum posts intended to drown out conflicting (and usually positive) viewpoints are common. Some can be seen working together over consecutive pages just to bury a valid point.

If I'm wrong you likely won't find them posting anywhere but General Discussion. If I'm right one of them will anonymously report this post. Welcome to the machine.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Welcome to the machine. Always-on complaining personality types (the WhinySpoiledSaggyBoobieBarbie dolls and their NarcissisticLimpyDickyKen doll counterparts) will always exist ... if not thrive ... in a faceless and anonymous digital community. Some of them use forum feedback as a tool to illustrate true shortcomings - though not all of them care enough about the game or its community to offer up a realistic solution with their diatribes. Some are here for the forum PvP and enjoy trying to piss people off. While others are here merely as smear merchants - be they self propelled, water army moles or paid astroturfers.

They are small in number and tend to hanging out in places like this. Fortunately most don't even play the game, which means logging in and playing provides sanctuary from them. Unfortunately their sheer volume of forum posts intended to drown out conflicting (and usually positive) viewpoints are common. Some can be seen working together over time to tag spam sometimes consecutive pages just to bury a valid point.

If I'm wrong you won't find them posting anywhere but General Discussion. If I'm right one of them will anonymously report this post. Welcome to the machine.

Your post, from first word to last, is exactly what it claims to be complaining about.