Discussion Topic: Game Update 5.4 and the Next Roadmap

KeithKanneg

• Umbara Stronghold - There were some questions about how this works. In short, you will need to run the Flashpoint to earn currency. That currency can be used to purchase rewards from a vendor, including a key to purchase the Stronghold. Once you have the key, you can then unlock the Stronghold for a reduced amount of Credits/CC. You cannot outright purchase the Stronghold, it has to be earned by running the Flashpoint to get the key.

My specific issue with how it works isn't addressed.

Will the FP be gated behind KotWhatever content? Will characters be able to access the FP / Currency / Rewards Vendor without the KotFE/ET stench on them?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dev Post
So we have to earn in-game currency AND Credits / Cartel Coins.

So you are making us pay with the New In Game Currency, Credits/CC AND Grind Time.

Jeez, how cheap can you guys get?

You really are giving us less and less reasons to stay aren't you.

All The Best

You're on a roll today! :cool:

The idea here is to reduce the cost of buying a stronghold by using your investment in time to lower the overall acquisition cost versus paying the full pop with either Cartel Coins or credits. We thought, hey, let's try something new where an activity you'd do anyway, you could benefit from your efforts and obtain a key from a currency you automatically get by running the Flashpoint.

Unless we change it before release, 10x for Story/solo mode, or 6x for Veteran, or 3x for Master Mode will give you enough currency to buy the Key from the vendor. What I don't know, yet, is the reduction amount for credits or Cartel Coins. Soon as that gets finalized, we'll post it up.

Keith---

The idea here is to reduce the cost of buying a stronghold by using your investment in time to lower the overall acquisition cost versus paying the full pop with either Cartel Coins or credits. We thought, hey, let's try something new where an activity you'd do anyway, you could benefit from your efforts and obtain a key from a currency you automatically get by running the Flashpoint.

Unless we change it before release, 10x for Story/solo mode, or 6x for Veteran, or 3x for Master Mode will give you enough currency to buy the Key from the vendor. What I don't know, yet, is the reduction amount for credits or Cartel Coins. Soon as that gets finalized, we'll post it up.

Keith---

Thanks for the information. If it costs me less than not a problem.

Edited by casirabit

Keith---

Hope we don't have to run it like 30 times in a row to fully unlock it :mad:

No thanks, I neither need nor want your tips.

1. There isn't one specific way to play an MMO, and you don't get to judge what other players should or should not do.

2. It's not anyone else's job to mold THEIR paid online gaming experience to what YOU expect them to do.

3. Mature adults actually don't need to trash each other online, and when you sit there screaming about how other players are "bad" or call them names - because they don't like what YOU or play the game the way you want- all you do is contribute to bad stereotypes of gamers. Growing up is a good thing sometimes. Honest.

4. There are a lot of diverse players in this game. Ops, PvP, PvE, RPG, etc. The game was designed to accommodate that. It is what it is.

I second this!

Keith---

I assume that the new currency will be legacy wide, in that I don't have to run the solo mode with the same character 10x? So all my alts can progress their story while getting closer to getting the stronghold.

Keith---

Will this currency be Legacy bound? ...just want to make sure ;)

Edit: Also, I wanted to say I like this idea, and I'm looking forward to a new FP and SH. Thank you for this!

Edited by Rheshalea

Follow-up to Master Mode Ops Drops - Based on your feedback from the discussion thread, we are planning to add Unassembled Components to Master Mode boss drops with GU 5.5.

So what happened to all the feedback for letting components drop in lower quantity from SM and VM bosses, maybe even flashpoints/uprisings? To me, it looks like you ignored all of the feedback and went back to your original plan, and you don't even put in the effort to get it fixed for 5.4.

Any week the gearing continues to be broken means fewer returning players. The gearing grind needs to be nerfed ASAP if you insist on not separating PvP from PvE gear. Why don't you understand this? :(

Edited by Jerba

We thought, hey, let's try something new where an activity you'd do anyway, you could benefit from your efforts and obtain a key from a currency you automatically get by running the Flashpoint.

In my opinion, that's a bad idea. The player base is split into different subgroups, each with their own areas of interest. It is not the dev's decision what content players should play. Someone who is interested in strongholds only should not be forced to play flashpoints. Just like a progression raider should not be forced to PvP to upgrade his gear to 248.

You will only create animosity by forcing players into different content. There's nothing wrong with encouraging players to try out different content, but outright forcing them by locking their favorite content behind other content is wrong.

Edited by Jerba

Keith---

Keith.

I understand what you are doing.

Problem is you (Bioware) haven't (outside of starter / 2nd planets in class stories) delivered any content at all I actually "want" to play 10 times over.

I applaud the intent of trying some something new; just not this implementation.

You already have a (somewhat abandoned) mechanism for unlocking things like Strongholds.

It's called "Reputation".

So for New Planet - New Faction = new reputation meter.

Reach X Reputation with Faction A get the "Basic" SH.

Reach Y Reputation with Faction A get the "Intermediate" SH.

Reach Z Reputation with Faction A get the "Deluxe" SH.

Basic SH = Entry Area, Reception Room, Two Side Rooms, x Hooks.

Intermediate = As Above + Executive Suite, Outdoor Area, +1 Side Room 2x Hooks (Total).

Deluxe = As Above + 2nd Executive Suite, Landing Platform, +1 Side Room 3x Hooks (Total).

Have the Rep earned via a quest chain, with each "check point" in the quest chain and / or Rep level unlocking a repeatable daily.

Maybe even go so far as to have that Deluxe SH Unlock dependent on completing a Flashpoint.

So the content drop then includes: Story Driven Quest Chain (Soloable or Group), Daily Quests associated with the Quest Chain, Group Content at end of Quest Chain, AND an unlockable Stronghold that requires progressive Rep based unlocks. Throw in a new Rep Vendor with Deco's that can be purchased with Faction Specific Tokens that drop within the "new content".

Solo Content? Check!

Repeatable Daily Content? Check!

Group Content? Check!

Stronghold? Check!

Everyone is happy.

Heck, I've just given you a blueprint for every significant content drop you do from now on.

I'd go further, spread that content drop over two or three patches. Add in a new PvP Zone based on the "new content" and maybe even throw in a GSF mission as well.

Each year could see a new planet, with a story arc, and new PvP and PvE content.

What do we get?

One flashpoint that we have to play over and over just to earn the privilege of paying Credits or CC to unlock a SH that probably won't even be up to Manaan's lacklustre standards.

You see the difference in vision?

You understand how that difference will feed through to player happiness and retention?

PS: Any chance you are going to make TK Sage viable again?

All The Best

That's fine, I'm assuming your group doesn't clear content because if it does then you're lying. Ultimately you are going to have to confront someone about their play, and if you do... not all cases will be successful because;

So feel free to judge me but I've been at this as long as anyone left, I'm just too tired to deal with pleasantries.

I agree that people can always be nicer, but just because you're nice doesn't mean the problems go away, and for you to say we only accept nice people and get S&^* done is full of S&^*.

First, your accusation claiming that nice people cant complete raids is utter bs. The guild I run has two active hm/nim progression raid groups who are successfully clearing content. We do not allow disrespectful, elitist, drama focused players in our guild. We have a great community of mature adults who encourage and help each other daily. And yet we are (gasp) able to clear content (gasp)!

Second, this is NOT the real world. This is a game where we all pay a monthly subscription to disassociate from our real world problems. I do not want to log on to have someone bash and belittle me or any other player.

Third, you are associating criticism with bashing, they should not be one in the same. Criticism is where you take someone aside and show them there is a better way to play their class and give them tips of how they can better perform. Bashing is where you berate someone for doing such a lousy job and humiliate them in public. Criticism is good for the player and the team they are on; bashing is NEVER ok.

Fourth, it saddens me to see a founder so bitter about this game and the people in it. I know sometimes it feels like this game is dying and it doesnt help when you see friends leave for another game. But I can assure you that this game is not dead, give Keith time and he will bring it back to its glory days. The servers are not all dead, and yes there is more than just one active server; just look at the conquest scores on all the different servers (EU and American). If you are comparing the servers to launch, you cant; every MMO starts off with twice as many servers during launch.

Fifth, I saw you list a few of the other MMO's and that they dont have a lot of raid content compared to wow. You are forgetting that they havent been out for near as long as wow and that some of them just dont focus on end game. Final Fantasy is still new and yet they are already expanding their end game and raid content; rumor has it their raid content exceeds WoW's. Just curious, have you ever been truly involved in active guilds/clans in the other MMO's or just did the solo side, pugging your way through group content?

Keith---

I love this idea gives me another reason to play FP many times. looking forward to the stronghold, flashpoint and bolster

Edited by commanderwar

Will the unassembled component change for PvP dailies/weeklies affect the GSF dailies/weeklies Eric?

I ask, because some of us Diehard GSF players avoid ground PvP as much as possible. (i've avoided it for at least 2 months), and want to continue upgrading our raid gear, so this change may affect us.

Edited by Toraak

Keith---

Yes, but (pardon that I have asked a few times as have others and not gotten a response) WHAT is the stronghold? Is it just a train, or is the train part of a larger stationary stronghold? Please just let us know that much.

Keith---

You could do the same thing by just lowing the price. You don't have to use gimmicks designed to make it look like people want to do the new flashpoint to do that.

I know that you guys like to pat yourselves on the back, and report to whomever you report to how awesome a job you are doing. The problem is that you don't first think of us, you think of how things will look, and that always costs you subs. Start thinking of us first and then maybe things will start to turn around.

Edit: People are craving new content. Make it good and you won't have to use gimmicks in order to get people to play it.

Edited by Exly

Drop rate for UACs on MM bosses? Will we ever receive those specific numbers prior to patch or will this be something we'll need to play and discover? Will there be higher numbers depending on the Operation/boss fight? or will it be a same-set for all type deal?

Keith---

With hyper inflation the way it is in game is saving some credits a big thing?

It feels like this might not be a way to save credits or referral links (i.e. cartel coins) but instead to have accepted that credits have been devalued so much that many players that might bother with a stronghold have them in abundance that a new currency is required. I've lost track of how many worthless currencies and tokens are currently in the game I'm guessing Ziost and eternal championship and cartel certificates and fleet coms and light/dark tokens are all a thing just not one that can be used to purchase anything new.

But that aside having just launched the Mann Stronghold is there really the desire by the home owning community for more rooms with various hooks to put gear on. I'm not talking about the people that just dump junk on hooks to get the conquest points but does it seem likely that there are scores of people having just finished decorating their mann stronghold who are eager and desperate to decorate the next instanced rooms that no one will ever see other than them. How many rooms with various posters/paintings on the walls do you need. Its instanced housing with limited options to be creative as its governed by hooks. I'm sure possibly a SJW has said that Star Wars needs more home decoration but I doubt many people feel that Empire Strikes back would be greatly improved by a second on home decorating and how 50 basic chairs helps you conquer the galaxy.

Keith---

Can Prefer players earn this Stronghold ?

Call me excited there is something I can get without having to credit farm or purchase with CCs. I like it.

But that isn't what is happening.

You get to play the content to get a key that lets you pay less CC or Credits.

You still get to pay, just after a long, boring grind you get to pay a bit less.

All The Best

[*]Umbara Stronghold - There were some questions about how this works. In short, you will need to run the Flashpoint to earn currency. That currency can be used to purchase rewards from a vendor, including a key to purchase the Stronghold. Once you have the key, you can then unlock the Stronghold for a reduced amount of Credits/CC. You cannot outright purchase the Stronghold, it has to be earned by running the Flashpoint to get the key.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Keith---

I am confused here.

In Eric's post it was specifically said:

You cannot outright purchase the Stronghold, it has to be earned by running the Flashpoint to get the key.

But now your post talks about being a reduced price. This gives the impression (or maybe an opening for the future depending on how things go) that there is a full price that people can pay in credits or CC if they don't want to do the flashpoints?

I am really excited about there being stuff locked behind actually playing the game though, just a little confused about the terminology here.

Edited by ninjonxb

I am confused here.

In Eric's post it was specifically said:

But now your post talks about being a reduced price. This gives the impression (or maybe an opening for the future depending on how things go) that there is a full price that people can pay in credits or CC if they don't want to do the flashpoints?

From my understanding, you have to do the flashpoint to get to the vendor that holds the key to access the stronghold and then it will cost you less than what we have normally been paying. Without doing the flashpoint and getting a special type of currency from the flashpoint you will be unable to get said stronghold, at least the way I understand what they are saying.

From my understanding, you have to do the flashpoint to get to the vendor that holds the key to access the stronghold and then it will cost you less than what we have normally been paying. Without doing the flashpoint and getting a special type of currency from the flashpoint you will be unable to get said stronghold, at least the way I understand what they are saying.

But less than what? What is the price that is being reduced? If there's no way to pay full price, why are they using the language of a reduced cost?

Something in my brain is short-circuited.