Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Who are your characters? Whom were you hoping to pair them with?

I've also heard a rumor that TOR is going to both stop charging any subscription fees and stop generating content altogether relatively soon.

Really? That seems like an odd move, from what I heard they have been doing rather well financially in the last few callings and a good earner for EA. Will just have to wait and see what happens.

Edited by Cyberwoman

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I can still be bothered, I want to, I want to have the same old fight, but god...

"You tried your hardest and we didn't give a **** about that, so why are you still trying? Look, even if we did make it, we'd put it on the Cartel Market anyway, so why don't you just give up and **** off." - that's what all their answers seem to be. All the time. That.

And the lack of hope is not only because of BW's way of handling this matter specifically.

I think we've seen everything we are going to ever see about our companions. At this point, I doubt any of them will have an update/progress on their stories. And for the next expansion, which who knows when will happen, I expect another Makeb, just one planet with one story per faction, no actual new class story update.

Edited by wainot-keel

However, it does seem to be fact that they have given up entirely on class stories and their companions, which is quite possibly the most shameful thing about this game (after the heterocentrism/homophobia, cissexism and general sexism it has displayed).

Indeed

If you read point 7: "They rather do planetary story arcs, than class stories, because the group experience is better, when playing through them (like on Makeb)."

I'd say class stories (and existing class companion stories by extension) are done.

Well, the Sith Inquisitor storyline is one that I think could be most improved by the presence of a love interest, so I may as well stop playing that, possibly...

I also admit that the IA doesn't seem quite as fun if you wind up being an unwillingly celibate one throughout the entire plot, but there's always the chance for planetary arcs later on... or possibly Cartel Market companions?

I'm glad they're at least doing different lines for different classes rather than one-size-fits-all things, but it's a bit of a letdown. The thing that made this game unique was the class stories, and I seem to remember it being implied that they would be continued in the future. I guess I'll just stay optimistic and hope they change their minds.

Ugh, don't even mention Cartel Market companions. That just justifies all the hate and derision that's been thrown our from homophobes and Bioware alike.

Should we just try to hold out for whatever the next Star Wars RPG might be? Or Bioware title... I know I'm looking forward to DAI, which I'm certain won't have this problem.

Should we just try to hold out for whatever the next Star Wars RPG might be? Or Bioware title... I know I'm looking forward to DAI, which I'm certain won't have this problem.

Oh no, that's done by Euston and they're a good studio. Hell, David Gaider is on tumblr (http://dgaider.tumblr.com/) and TALKS TO PEOPLE.

THAT IS *********** UNBELIEVABLE.

I am really tempted by Saints Row 4 and, frankly, I can buy CC to play Ops, have to pay for expansions anyway, don't really need Flashpoints for much of my gear progression and have already bought the Equipment Authorization as a "just in case".

The now-Lead Writer has explicitly stated he will no longer be making the content that I enjoy, so why am I paying for this game? Yeah, Operations whatever, but honestly, how much do they cost versus story content? :/

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/08/26/bioware-39-s-vision-for-the-future-of-rpgs.aspx

Interestingly to me it sounds like BW's General Manager does not consider BioWare Austin to be part of the BioWare Studios. It sounds like he doesn't even really know what's going on there. The other guys, though from different IPs and products, do know what's going on and are involved in each other's projects. But that's just what it looked like to me.

It also seems like KOTOR3 will happen on the next generation of consoles, it's just going to happen after DA3, ME4 and the new IP. It's certainly something I'm looking forward to.

Edited by fabiyun

God I forgot about all that other crap. I respec all the time :/ Not that I'd DPS much with my Operative, but I'd need cash every now and then for new outfits... *narrows eyes*

Also, other Bioware studios not recognising Austin? I hardly find that surprising. They're probably ashamed.

Oh no, that's done by Euston and they're a good studio. Hell, David Gaider is on tumblr (http://dgaider.tumblr.com/) and TALKS TO PEOPLE.

THAT IS *********** UNBELIEVABLE.

I am really tempted by Saints Row 4 and, frankly, I can buy CC to play Ops, have to pay for expansions anyway, don't really need Flashpoints for much of my gear progression and have already bought the Equipment Authorization as a "just in case".

The now-Lead Writer has explicitly stated he will no longer be making the content that I enjoy, so why am I paying for this game? Yeah, Operations whatever, but honestly, how much do they cost versus story content? :/

Oh, yes, the DA community is a far different beast (I actually came to this series through Dragon Age and Mass Effect, not KOTOR). I don't agree with everything Gaider says by any means, but he's a good person trying his best. As for things like operations and flashpoints, I really doubt they'd hold my interest; for that sort of thing, I can just play WoW.

It also seems like KOTOR3 will happen on the next generation of consoles, it's just going to happen after DA3, ME4 and the new IP. It's certainly something I'm looking forward to.

Shame we couldn't have had that instead of TOR... but with luck, the terrible Austin team will be jettisoned and that game can be the true sign of progress with this being just an unfortunate black mark (although technically it's a step up from KotOR 2 having no SGRs of any variety... then again, that had more modding capability).

Oh, yes, the DA community is a far different beast (I actually came to this series through Dragon Age and Mass Effect, not KOTOR).

Yeah, I remember you from BSN. It's been awhile. I imagine that despite all the prophecies of doom and gloom people were making after DA2/ME3, the community still exists and whatnot? :p

Yeah, I remember you from BSN. It's been awhile. I imagine that despite all the prophecies of doom and gloom people were making after DA2/ME3, the community still exists and whatnot? :p

Certainly. Thriving, really, or as much you can on tantalizing information nuggets.

Oh, yes, the DA community is a far different beast (I actually came to this series through Dragon Age and Mass Effect, not KOTOR). I don't agree with everything Gaider says by any means, but he's a good person trying his best. As for things like operations and flashpoints, I really doubt they'd hold my interest; for that sort of thing, I can just play WoW.

Shame we couldn't have had that instead of TOR... but with luck, the terrible Austin team will be jettisoned and that game can be the true sign of progress with this being just an unfortunate black mark (although technically it's a step up from KotOR 2 having no SGRs of any variety... then again, that had more modding capability).

The good thing about MMOs is that their legacy involves nothing more than a Wikipedia entry. Some crazy fans will work forever on a standalone that will never make the light of day, and that will be it.

I think David Gaider is a good guy and I like his enthousiasm and his writing. All in all though, the communication and involvement of the Dragon Age team is much, much better than the communication and involvement here.

SWTOR really is Story Light in WoW in Space. Some Flashpoints are done really great though, there's some good stories there. Operations have interesting mechanics and fighting a big boss with a group is fun, but they lack the story that is there in some Flashpoints.

The best thing about Gaider, whether one agrees or disagrees with what he says, he'll say what he means (and mean what he says) without any of the B.S or smokescreening we get from this lot...

"Sorry, still no plans for more class-specific storylines, though we'll still have class-based content in our shared storylines" - What the Hell does that even mean? NPCs will recognise and acknowledge what class you're playing? "Glad you could make it, [insert Class], as a hero of the [insert Faction], we need you to go fight the dastardly Genericons before they unleash vagueness upon the galaxy."

Gee, I'm so impressed I could puke...

Edited by Palar

Well, we can know what it means in terms of Class Content:

No companions

No continuation of companion's stories

No SGRAs with companions (no more OGRAs either, but those already exist)

No information AT ALL about parts of Chapter 3 that still remain relevant

Ultimately, no compelling story telling or meaningful decisions.

No companions

But... Already saw that coming. Of course I'd hoped for more class stories, but when they did Makeb, we already knew they were taking a different turn.

No companions

Aren't the class stories more or less finished already, though? That's the impression I got, at least.

Of course, continuing them would be ideal... and this may be an example of why trying to meld single-player RPGs with MMOs is an experiment that won't work out well in the long run. Either way, though, can we not hope for more SGRAs in some other form, even if it's not class-specific companions?

If they're going to introduce SGRAs with non-class specific companions (which I now highly doubt), they're likely to be very mediocre and generic stories, with one option for each (including faction - so think Treek, but not.)

And that's hardly better than what we have now.

If they're going to introduce SGRAs with non-class specific companions (which I now highly doubt), they're likely to be very mediocre and generic stories, with one option for each (including faction - so think Treek, but not.)

And that's hardly better than what we have now.

I can think of one solution... but I probably can't say what it is or risk banning.

I said that I don't hold out much optimism given current trends for both new content and how SGRs were handled in Makeb.

Uh-huh. Three - count 'em, three - [flirt] options and one kiss.....just before a LS/DS choice that determines whether the guy in question lives or dies.

Thus guaranteeing, to my considerable annoyance, that we'll NEVER get him as a companion.

Seriously: if I'd had the option to swap out Khem Val for the same-gender guy on Makeb, I'd have done it in a heartbeat (and proceeded to snog said new companion at every turn :D). My LS Sorcerer is...poorly-suited to Khem's company anyway, and it's not like the NPC in question can't be statted up as a STR-based melee tank/DPS, a la Lord Scourge (among others)

*siiiighhhh* but along came the LS/DS choice, meaning that we'll never see him again. Damnit.

Frankly, Bioware, not at all impressed here. As is sadly typical in video games (but not in Bioware's recent RPG offerings, such as Dragon Age (Origins or II) or Mass Effect 3), the entirety of romance arcs are being set up for the benefit of straight, white, cisgendered males. I must admit, from someone like Blizzard? This treatment would be about as good as it gets.

You, however, have a track record of being better to LGBT and LGBT-friendly players, so from you, this is a real disappointment.