Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

It's completely unfair that I was forced to start a new character on a server and now I'm not going to be able to consolidate all of my characters on one server. I would like all of my alts on the same server so I can benefit from the legacy exp when I play them.

Why don't you people try actually reading the blog.

They said the first waves will be restricted, but later transfers will have more freedom.

So instead of stomping your feet and whining, why not wait until next week and see how it goes.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And all the fanboys can go on to dousing other wildfires.

This should buy you a good day or so of actually playing the game before the rage returns and you feel the tug of the forums again.

I'm playing right now, buddy. Crafting, alt-tab, quench my QQ thirst, back to crafting. :D

It's not that hard to move a guild.

You have to tell your members to move. BioWare wouldn't dream of moving a whole guildful of characters just because a guild master moves. The decision to move has to be up to the players.

You'll probably want to empty out your guild bank before you do this to ensure the items make the transit with you.

Once you have enough characters on the new server (4), you re-form the guild.

Then, if you had a guild bank on your old server, you contact customer service to get it back. (Good luck with that.)

It's not hard. It just requires a bit of planning and communication.

Um, that's exactly what they say in the blog.

This is basically what I picture, I am interested to see how they will keep the guilds intact, if at all.

How could they keep the guilds intact? If you weren't a guild leader, would you want your character forcibly moved just because the guild leader does?

Characters move. Players re-create guild. Players contact CS to restore guild bank. Guild is restored, but not moved intact as a whole. It can't be.

This is awesome, but I have one question. How would a server transfer effect legacy?

For example, I wanted to move my 2 level 50's, one of which actually started the legacy. Will my legacy levels and perks be effected on those two characters or is legacy tied to the server and not the originating character?

Hello, kickdamonkey!

At this time, this is the available information we have regarding Legacy, but please keep an eye out as more details will be coming soon in an FAQ that's dedicated to transfers:

There are also some restrictions to this character transfer process , which will be more fully detailed in a forthcoming FAQ. For those who have unlocked Legacy abilities, your Legacy will be transferred to your new server and your unlocks will be available there too. If you have already unlocked your Legacy on your destination server, the higher level Legacy will take precedence. For guild members and masters, you will not be able to transfer your guild as a whole to your new server; instead you will need to reform it. If you have a guild bank, it will be re-granted to your new guild on your destination server by Customer Service. This is not an automatic process and you will have to contact Customer Service directly. If your transferred character’s name conflicts with an existing name on a destination server, you will be asked to rename your character. In the case of Legacy names, unless you have unlocked your Legacy on your destination server, you will need to rename your Legacy upon transfer (although you may pick the same Legacy name as on your origin server, if available).

Thanks and may the Force be with you!

Edited by Sireene

OK, I see one big, big problem. Let me quote the article:

"We're sure many of you are interested to learn which servers are eligible for outgoing transfers and which servers are eligible to receive transfers. However, because the process will be gradual, we cannot provide that information in advance. Depending on the number of characters transferred, the destination and origin servers eligible for transfer may be altered during the process. We don't want to promise a destination in case it may change."

What I interpret this to mean, is there's no guarantee my guildmates will end up transfered to the same server as me (I'm the GM of a guild on Kinrath Spider)

I'd love to get clarification on this

It wouldn't appear that any servers are "getting axed" as you put it.

They are simply going to encourage people to transfer off of the lower pop servers, they made it quite clear that you will not be forced to transfer which kind of implies that no servers are being shut down or merged and that no forced transfers will occur.

They aren't merging anything, anyone that thinks that servers are being shut down or merged should probably take a closer look at the actual article, because none of that is happening.

It should be happening, but it's not.

If you are on a medium to low pop server and you are told you can transfer to another server with the potential for a higher population, I doubt many people are going to stick around, making those servers even MORE of a ghosttown, which is what I mean by axed.

One thing, will you lock out servers, meaning that if that their populations is so low that no one should be playing on it. I am on one of the much lower population servers and it is so bad that no one should move here, will you block it off as everyone on the server takes part in an mass exodus.

• Dev Post
I have a question:

How will we be affected (if any) if say we are on an origin server, but have no desire to move, either because we like small servers, or we just don't want to deal with the xfer process?

You are not required to move when transfers become available; it's your choice if you'd like to stay on your server.

Edited by AllisonBerryman

Never said it was hard, but read some of the issues others have voiced, as far as with people missing windows and what not. If BW was able to arrange it that we signed up as a guild before launch and were put together upon first entry into the game, I would think that they could figure out a way to transfer a guild as a whole to streamline the process.

I have a question.

Will they be shutting down some servers? More specifically the 'Outgoing' servers? Because unless they force people to transfer and shut down some servers, I don't see it fixing the problem completely.

In order to balance the servers out, you need to force push some people from the 'Heavy' servers to move into the 'Light' servers. Or else people who are already in 'Heavy' Servers won't move, and if your only option is to move from a 'Light' Server to a 'Stardard' Server, or worse yet, a 'Light' Server to a 'Light-Stardard' Server... it won't be so great.

I hope I get the chance to move to a 'Heavy' server...not just add an extra 20 people on the fleet.

It's completely unfair that I was forced to start a new character on a server and now I'm not going to be able to consolidate all of my characters on one server. I would like all of my alts on the same server so I can benefit from the legacy exp when I play them.

No one held a gun to your head and made you do anything.

You should have just stopped playing, like most of us did.

The arbitrary restrictions on this--like the server type restrictions--absolutely reek of a money grab.

/facepalm

No, it's just that, right now, the QQ is much quieter than if they allowed a free-for-all. A free-for-all is a bad BAD idea. And so is a merge.

I would like to pose the following situation to see how it might be dealt with in the move plan BW is putting forth.

I have Republic charcters on The ShadowLands. Not a high pop server, but certainly not the lowest.

I have Imp characters on Fort Garnik. Yesterday at 5:00 pm eastern there were around 38 total people I could find after looking at all planets and stuff.

I was hoping to get my Imp characters off Fort Garnik to The Shadowlands. But if I understand the release right, if Fort Garnik isn't listed as a viable source server and The shadowLands isn't listed as a viable destination server at the same time, then I'm not going to be able to consolidate characters.

Is it possible to put in an option that allows you folks to transfer their characters to the server list you suggest, or a server in which they already have characters? Maybe even only servers in which they have a level 30 character or higher?

Hopefully this is good for me, I have 3 lvl 50s on the PVP server Senator Contispex, and I have rerolled on a RP/PVP server Lord Calypho in which I have 2 new lvl 50s, hopefully il be able to transfer those older 3 toons to the new server. If not i will be annoyed.

/facepalm

No, it's just that, right now, the QQ is much quieter than if they allowed a free-for-all. A free-for-all is a bad BAD idea. And so is a merge.

/facewipe

How does allowing someone to transfer from one type to another create a free-for-all?

Edited by Dezzi