Tier 5 Augments and stat goals

PrincessScilly

Has anyone looked into the augments and stat goals for the 258 gear for the dps sage/sorcs? Both tele and balance. I have found 110 acc. so far but not anything else as far as crit etc...before exp[experiencing diminishing returns. the new augments are expensive to make and do not want to waste mats on augments not needed

Has anyone looked into the augments and stat goals for the 258 gear for the dps sage/sorcs? Both tele and balance. I have found 110 acc. so far but not anything else as far as crit etc...before exp[experiencing diminishing returns. the new augments are expensive to make and do not want to waste mats on augments not needed

First, decide whether you want to aim for the 1.4s global cooldown breakpoint, which is often the target for pvp'ers, or the 1.3s GCD breakpoint, which is for most pve'ers. The 1.3s GCD requires 15.39% alacrity percentage, and the 1.4s GCD requires 7.14% alacrity percentage.

For the 1.3s GCD

Its the same as before. Telekinesis can afford to get away with around 1099 -- 1229 alacrity rating because of the stacking Focal Telekinesis buff. 1099 alacrity rating converts to 10.40% alacrity, which with the stacking 1% x 5 will get you to 15.40% alacrity, which meets the breakpoint. 1229 will get you enough alacrity percentage under the Mental Alacrity buff to have a 1.1s GCD during that window. Obviously either choice depends on high uptime of a full five stacks of Focal Telekinesis buff. If you let it fall off, or your encounters are short, then you will be effectively at a 1.4 second global cooldown.

Balance I presume can get away with 1857 alacrity rating like the majority of other classes.

For the 1.4s GCD you need 702 alacrity rating for Balance, 191 alacrity rating for Telekinesis, since you're only aiming for 7.14% alacrity percentage. Again, that 191 alacrity rating is only good if you can maintain high uptime of Focal Telekinesis stacks. If you're choosing the 1.4s GCD breakpoint you're probably not anticipating lots of uptime anyway so just go for the 702 alacrity rating.

Second, Critical Rating vs Mastery

For classes with a lot of white weapon based damage attacks, for example, Sharpshooter Gunslinger, Gunnery Commando, there is theorycrafting which says you benefit from stacking Mastery once you get to around 1800 critical rating. For classes that are more Force/Tech based yellow damage, which Sages are largely, you can push that critical goal closer to 2400 before you might see a benefit from a few points spent in Mastery.*

TL, DR:

Balance should be accuracy to 110%, critical 2400, alacrity 1857 or 702.

TK same accuracy goal, same critical goal, alacrity 1099/1229 or 702.

You will likely go over those goals in 248-258 gear with 240 augments, just try to get as close as possible without going below those targets.

*EDIT: when I say "a few points spent in Mastery," I'm obviously referring to points beyond the obligatory amounts you get in hilts/barrels/armorings/mods. I'm specifically referring to choosing a Versatile Augment over a tertiary stat Augment; or a War Hero color crystal over an Eviscerating one.

Edited by phalczen

Second, Critical Rating vs Mastery

For classes with a lot of white weapon based damage attacks, for example, Sharpshooter Gunslinger, Gunnery Commando, there is theorycrafting which says you benefit from stacking Mastery once you get to around 1800 critical rating. For classes that are more Force/Tech based yellow damage, which Sages are largely, you can push that critical goal closer to 2400 before you might see a benefit from a few points spent in Mastery.*

Where did you get that 2400 number from?

Where did you get that 2400 number from?

The 1800 figure, as you may already know, comes from Schwarzschilda's work.

https://www.scribd.com/document/370568213/crit-DR

In the reddit thread where that paper was discussed, the original author (I'll abbreviate as Schwarz for convenience) later admits the limits of their theorycrafting (mostly limited to heavily weapon/white damage based classes) and estimated that 2200-2400 is the better cutoff for tech/force-based classes.

This is also cited in the work that Rambol and Hottie did, from this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=945766

As a general comment, it makes sense that the critical rating cutoff would be higher for classes that are heavily yellow F/T based since the base damage of the attack is so much higher than white damage.

The 1800 figure, as you may already know, comes from Schwarzschilda's work.

https://www.scribd.com/document/370568213/crit-DR

In the reddit thread where that paper was discussed, the original author (I'll abbreviate as Schwarz for convenience) later admits the limits of their theorycrafting (mostly limited to heavily weapon/white damage based classes) and estimated that 2200-2400 is the better cutoff for tech/force-based classes.

This is also cited in the work that Rambol and Hottie did, from this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=945766

As a general comment, it makes sense that the critical rating cutoff would be higher for classes that are heavily yellow F/T based since the base damage of the attack is so much higher than white damage.

I'm aware of his paper and the reddit comment. But that reddit comment specifically says 2235.4. I don't see anything about 2200-2400, which is why I asked where you got the number. I wasn't sure if there was another theory crafting source I wasn't aware of. But I'm glad you posted those links. Probably a lot of people not aware of the actual source for the current crit numbers.

I haven’t crunched the numbers using 258 enhancements/implants/ears and 240 augments but I could imagine it’s still pretty tough to get to 2400 without using the lower alacrity breakpoint, and possibly going down to 109.97% accuracy or whatever the figure is. I apologize for the inaccuracy. I knew where the info came from, I think I must have misremembered 2400 instead of 2200. It’s been a while since I read that thread.

I haven’t crunched the numbers using 258 enhancements/implants/ears and 240 augments but I could imagine it’s still pretty tough to get to 2400 without using the lower alacrity breakpoint, and possibly going down to 109.97% accuracy or whatever the figure is. I apologize for the inaccuracy. I knew where the info came from, I think I must have misremembered 2400 instead of 2200. It’s been a while since I read that thread.

It's all good. I run low alacrity (704) and no accuracy for pvp, so I could push crit up a lot higher if I wanted to, which is why I was initially curious.