Require Tank Stance for Taunts?

calamatiesend

With a large number of jugs/guards and PT/Van’s switching to rage/focus or pyro/assault I think the nature of how taunts work should be looked at again. I understand that many changes need to take place but I just wanted to bring to the attention of the devs that allowing taunts on chars in dps specs seems unintended and somewhat OP.

I believe that to use taunts tank AC should have to be in tanking stance. Now before I get completely flamed, I do think that BW/EA should add some utility to the dps specs that cannot be used in tank stance but that are dps oriented(perhaps group buffs) or give them some form of utility back since I do understand that losing taunting does reduce their utility/usefulness.

However, I think it is silly that a PT/Van bursting me for 12k+ in 3 gcd can also prevent me from dpsing his healer(lets be honest 30% damage reduction is huge when trying to burst a healer)…. Or a rage jug from 15m away aoe taunting our dps as we try to focus a bubblestuner….

Many times I have heard that the tanking AC’s, when dps specced, should do just as much dps as my sniper or merc(as dps) or mara and this I completely agree with however, I do not think that they should also be able to taunt/perform as a tank as well while still being able to bring the same damage as another dps char. It decreases the incentives for bringing a non-tank AC dps(with the exception of carnage/combat run speed) since if you can keep the entire enemy teams dps taunted it makes it that much more difficult for your team to be bursted down.

Or perhaps other dps classes should have additional utility added(not marauders) so there is an equal incentive to bring everyclass(obvious balance changes need to also occur)

What do you all think?? (sorry for longish post)

Edited by calamatiesend

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that they must keep their taunts.

Reasons :

- Marauders/Sentinels have group buffs.

- Snipers/Gunslingers have cover to make them good defenders

- Healing capable have off-heals

- Tanking capable have Taunts.

Bind taunts tanking stance, and then you'll turn all DPS-spec of Guardian/PT/Shadows and equivalent into simplistic DPS, but who are supposed to not deal more, nor to survive more, and without extra utility.

Each AC has one thing in top of their DPS role, taunt is this thing.

Edited by Altheran

I agree that taunts should only be usable from tank stance, or atleast vastly increased cooldown when not in tank stance, I've forgotten the exact figures, but it's something like 30% damage reduction for 6 seconds with a 12 second cooldown. That's pretty overpowered in my opinion.

As for replacing them with utility I'd like to see something like increases cooldown rate of all abilitys by 10% for 10 seconds to all party members within 10~ metres and a cooldown of like 1 minute. In a sense this would increase DPS, but indirectly. Directly giving DPS increasing utilitys would be too OP considering there's already a burst problem.

Reasons :

Bind taunts tanking stance, and then you'll turn all DPS-spec of Guardian/PT/Shadows and equivalent into simplistic DPS, but who are supposed to not deal more, nor to survive more, and without extra utility.

Agree, and thank you.

Reasons :

I agree that it is a key part of their class, however the other examples you used cannot decrease an entire opposing teams damage output by 30%..... while keeping your teams damage exactly the same. I do not think the tank AC's should be able to do the same(if not more in case of PT/Van) dps and still be able to reduce the other teams damage by a substantial amount.

Without changing how the game works in PvE perhaps make it so once taunted players get an immunity from taunts for some time? So they cannot be chained. Or make it so that the damage reduction is reduced so its not as big of a hit to dps classes.

My problem is you can be taunted by a few tank AC's in dps spec the entire duration of a fight almost with how quick the battles are now. Meaning that unless I attack the tank AC, i suffer 30% less damage(meaning I cannot burst down his healer and that his healer has an easy job just keeping him up) but I still take same if not more damage..... seems somewhat unfair still.

Edited by calamatiesend

Reasons :

yeah like a 5k 2-3 second cast heal is equivalent to an aoe instant cast that reduces way more damage than 5k in that 6 seconds.

Reasons :

I agree that they should keep their taunts, for the reasons you stated. I don't know, maybe shorten the range of the AOE taunt to 5-10 meters, 15 seems high, but don't know how that would affect PvE, having never played a tank. Either way, not game breaking.

Also try throwing an aoe out when your taunted. If u hit the player who taunted u with anything at all it wipes off the taunt, even if u continue attacking another target. Alot of the taunts are coming from smash players so odds are they are in melle range and will hit buy any aoe.

Also your teams dps has taunts to so yea, it's fair.

Taunting is valuable utility for DPS characters in ACs with tank trees, just like heals are valuable utility for DPS characters in ACs with heal trees (Yes, they are. Try shielding the ball carrier next time, Mr. Tunnel Vision), just like the utility available to pure DPS ACs (Maruader and Sniper group buffs/CDs, heal reduction etc).

Removing them is just dumbing it down even more.

yeah like a 5k 2-3 second cast heal is equivalent to an aoe instant cast that reduces way more damage than 5k in that 6 seconds.

But you can off heal whenever u want. Taunts are on cooldown. Scoundrels commandos ect can put out way more heals over the course of a wz than a shadow or guardian can put out protection numbers. Heck hybrids do 300k dmg and 300k heals in Voidstar all the time while 30-50k protection is a high number for dps and hybrids who have taunts.

But you can off heal whenever u want. Taunts are on cooldown. Scoundrels commandos ect can put out way more heals over the course of a wz than a shadow or guardian can put out protection numbers. Heck hybrids do 300k dmg and 300k heals in Voidstar all the time while 30-50k protection is a high number for dps and hybrids who have taunts.

Not if they're dps specced they can't and a viable hybrid heal/dps spec does not exist for commandos. 50K taunts is nothing if a person is using them whenever they are off CD. I've gotten over 100K on my Assault VG without even really trying.

Though I will admit that a VG's ranged AOE taunt makes this a lot easier than a guardians AOE taunt.

you cant you can only get through a 2-3 sec heal if you don't get hit, because anything interrupts off healing and thats not very often you can get one off.

Reasons :

At first I was like yeah, I should not be able to use my taunts when I'm not in Dark Charge. Then I took your post in the knee. And now I think taunting as a dps in a good thing lol

Reasons :

Great examples except healing classes aren't worth crap for off heals. BW did a good job of nerfing that. Honestly I feel they should buff off healing from the healing ACs. They're sucking hind teat for utility when they're in a serious DPS spec.

On topic: Taunts are what seperates the good Assault vanguards and Derpsmash guardians from the bad ones, and absolutely should not be taken away in DPS stances. VGs in particular are lacking for any other kind of utility.

Also try throwing an aoe out when your taunted. If u hit the player who taunted u with anything at all it wipes off the taunt, even if u continue attacking another target. Alot of the taunts are coming from smash players so odds are they are in melle range and will hit buy any aoe.

Also your teams dps has taunts to so yea, it's fair.

really all teams dps has taunts...I knew those sorcs/mercs/snipers/opras were just being Fing lazy.

Great examples except healing classes aren't worth crap for off heals. BW did a good job of nerfing that. Honestly I feel they should buff off healing from the healing ACs. They're sucking hind teat for utility when they're in a serious DPS spec.

On topic: Taunts are what seperates the good Assault vanguards and Derpsmash guardians from the bad ones, and absolutely should not be taken away in DPS stances. VGs in particular are lacking for any other kind of utility.

lacking taunts really hurts the dpsers who have heals. as you say, off healing is pretty much worthless, whereas taunts are extremely valuable...actually, necessary for any rated team.

lacking taunts really hurts the dpsers who have heals. as you say, off healing is pretty much worthless, whereas taunts are extremely valuable...actually, necessary for any rated team.

Yes, which just adds insult to injury really since the healing ACs are considered pretty much bottom of the barrel in any DPS spec. I would just rather they buff these classes though rather than nerf tanking ACs.

really all teams dps has taunts...I knew those sorcs/mercs/snipers/opras were just being Fing lazy.

Yet another derpy response from you that is most definitely facepalm worthy. So, you're saying the classes people are complaining about that have taunts as utility are only available to the other team? Now I get why you think there's a "gear gap" in this game. If you spent half the time and effort in game as you do licking windows on the short bus in the PvP forum, you'd be geared by now.