Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"Resolve is broken" challenge

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
"Resolve is broken" challenge

Valant
03.27.2012 , 09:50 AM | #21
Resolve isnt bugged, its just a piss poor system design to counteract the fact that there is ENTIRELY too much CC in this game. And even then it lolfails.

There's no reason that high damage ranged classes should have stuns, slows, roots, and knockbacks. It makes it OP no matter what the game or class is in ANY MMO.

The fact of the matter is - for those stubborn voices like Kaara in this thread- is OBVIOUSLY the greater portion of the community has a problem with having a full resolve bar and still being chain stunned/rooted/knocked back/slowed.

I don't need to post a video of it happening- and neither does the community. We all know we get chain stunned WITH full resolve, its not really a secret. Its happened to me so many times its funny, especially as a ball-carrier in Huttball.

What you don't get is the THEORY/DESIGN ideology is really quite stupid, as it takes away control of your character for pretty meaningful time portions of any WZ- and people DO NOT like that. Period. There's already too much CC in the game- if someone has a full resolve bar, that means they've already been CCed to death- IT DOESNT NEED TO HAPPEN ANYMORE with FULL RESOLVE!

Players don't find it fun to lose control of their avatars at any point, and have their ability to even COUNTER those things with defensive abilities or movement taken away.

Thats what YOU and Bioware are missing. The CC in this game is stupidly out of control because they are giving ranged DPS classes most of it- which is not even close to how a balanced PvP game works.

I could see the logic behind disarms or similar mechanics, as players still have control but are kept from using attacks or certain abilities under certain conditions. The problem with this game is that you have NO options when all the chain CC's start flying around.

I'll give you a good example. If you are melee toon and use force leap to close the distance, and a Sorc uses his knockback + root to stun you, then lol lightniong spams you- unless you have zealous leap qued, you're now at a distance again with no way to close the gap, and they are free to keep spamming their attacks on you when you can do NOTHING.

Lets say you do manage get back in range. 4 second stun FTW, they run, and spam you again. Lets say Force leap is recharged by then- you get back into melee ranged. Guess what- their knockback/root probably is as well. If not- guess what, they have another stun they can use on you or a slow, and you're left with your only closer on a cooldown most of the fight while any sensible Sorc is blasting your *** into oblivion while kiting. Get in range again, oh, don;t worry, they have Force speed to speed away and spam you some more.

You honestly think thats fun? If so, seems like you're as sadistic as Bioware wants you to be. Let me guess- do you also play a ranged class in this game?

Whats worse is- this is an example of what ONE Sorc can do in a game against a melee toon. Now go que up and face 6 of them in a WZ like we do constantly. Yeah.....
◄ị█ị{}████████████████████████████████

crrypto
03.27.2012 , 10:01 AM | #22
Someone else put it best... to paraphrase:

"That bar is for CC? I thought it was a gang bang meter."

Kaarsa
03.27.2012 , 10:09 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Valant View Post
Resolve isnt bugged, its just a piss poor system design to counteract the fact that there is ENTIRELY too much CC in this game. And even then it lolfails.

There's no reason that high damage ranged classes should have stuns, slows, roots, and knockbacks. It makes it OP no matter what the game or class is in ANY MMO.

The fact of the matter is - for those stubborn voices like Kaara in this thread- is OBVIOUSLY the greater portion of the community has a problem with having a full resolve bar and still being chain stunned/rooted/knocked back/slowed.

I don't need to post a video of it happening- and neither does the community. We all know we get chain stunned WITH full resolve, its not really a secret. Its happened to me so many times its funny, especially as a ball-carrier in Huttball.

What you don't get is the THEORY/DESIGN ideology is really quite stupid, as it takes away control of your character for pretty meaningful time portions of any WZ- and people DO NOT like that. Period. There's already too much CC in the game- if someone has a full resolve bar, that means they've already been CCed to death- IT DOESNT NEED TO HAPPEN ANYMORE with FULL RESOLVE!

Players don't find it fun to lose control of their avatars at any point, and have their ability to even COUNTER those things with defensive abilities or movement taken away.

Thats what YOU and Bioware are missing. The CC in this game is stupidly out of control because they are giving ranged DPS classes most of it- which is not even close to how a balanced PvP game works.

I could see the logic behind disarms or similar mechanics, as players still have control but are kept from using attacks or certain abilities under certain conditions. The problem with this game is that you have NO options when all the chain CC's start flying around.

I'll give you a good example. If you are melee toon and use force leap to close the distance, and a Sorc uses his knockback + root to stun you, then lol lightniong spams you- unless you have zealous leap qued, you're now at a distance again with no way to close the gap, and they are free to keep spamming their attacks on you when you can do NOTHING.

Lets say you do manage get back in range. 4 second stun FTW, they run, and spam you again. Lets say Force leap is recharged by then- you get back into melee ranged. Guess what- their knockback/root probably is as well. If not- guess what, they have another stun they can use on you or a slow, and you're left with your only closer on a cooldown most of the fight while any sensible Sorc is blasting your *** into oblivion while kiting. Get in range again, oh, don;t worry, they have Force speed to speed away and spam you some more.

You honestly think thats fun? If so, seems like you're as sadistic as Bioware wants you to be. Let me guess- do you also play a ranged class in this game?

Whats worse is- this is an example of what ONE Sorc can do in a game against a melee toon. Now go que up and face 6 of them in a WZ like we do constantly. Yeah.....
Wow, a really big L2P example... if you cant stick to a sorc as jugg/marauder, nothing in the world will help with your pvp experience.

Everyone knows you are often stunned with full resolve and dont need vid proof for this? Well, if everyone is often in that situation, it cant be so hard to find some proof in multiple youtube vids posted?

I will repeat - noone, ever, in no reslve is broken thread posted single 1 video proof for stun working on someone with full resolve bar. It is a bit strange if it is common, dont you think?

Again, post a proof and I will shout for fix to BW louder than any other forum member, I swear.

Until then, resolve is working fine. Prove otherwise.

JackBurden
03.27.2012 , 10:20 AM | #24
Cheers, Kaarsa, great idea to start this thread. It maybe be hard to grasp the concept of resolve at first, and I saw quite a few 50-es (even battlemasters) who still didn't know what "that white bar" does, but it's no reason to say that something in that system is broken. It works perfectly well, makes great sense and I'd like it to stay the way it is. And, for the record, I play as a scoundrel, class with no charge/pull/knockback/whatever. And yet I use resolve and CC to my advantage all the time. No matter what class you are, you can always make it work.
Never let your sense of morality keep you from doing what you think is right.
Isaac Asimov

TUXs
03.27.2012 , 10:51 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaarsa View Post
Wow, a really big L2P example... if you cant stick to a sorc as jugg/marauder, nothing in the world will help with your pvp experience.

Everyone knows you are often stunned with full resolve and dont need vid proof for this? Well, if everyone is often in that situation, it cant be so hard to find some proof in multiple youtube vids posted?

I will repeat - noone, ever, in no reslve is broken thread posted single 1 video proof for stun working on someone with full resolve bar. It is a bit strange if it is common, dont you think?

Again, post a proof and I will shout for fix to BW louder than any other forum member, I swear.

Until then, resolve is working fine. Prove otherwise.
Repeating it over and over and over and OVER doesn't make it any more fun.

As I said, sure, it may be working just fine, and if it is, how it's designed to work is for utter **edit**!

Being unable to move (CC'd), no matter HOW it happens or what you call it, is a BS game mechanic and absolutely NO FUN! There is NO reason a root shouldn't fill resolve the same way a snare does, or a knock down or knock back or a dizzy or a twirly or a mez or ANYTHING!!! I don't care what you wanna CALL it, EVERYTHING that impedes my movement SHOULD both FILL resolve AND be removed by my 'snare' breaker.

Again...resolve may very well work EXACTLY as designed...but it's an absolute **edit** design.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Mordris
03.27.2012 , 10:55 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Dee-Jay View Post
When people say "Resolve is broken" they mean it in a broader sense than just "Resolve is bugged".

What they mean is that Resolve in its current incarnation isn't a sufficient mechanic to counter chain-CCs in the way something like....say "Diminishing Returns" would.
QFT. It's not broken; just a bad mechanic. Implement DR on stuns in pvp and the problem is solved.
Wither
Vanguard, Protector of Clothies
<Gray Council>

Kaarsa
03.27.2012 , 10:55 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Repeating it over and over and over and OVER doesn't make it any more fun.

As I said, sure, it may be working just fine, and if it is, how it's designed to work is for utter **edit**!

Being unable to move (CC'd), no matter HOW it happens or what you call it, is a BS game mechanic and absolutely NO FUN! There is NO reason a root shouldn't fill resolve the same way a snare does, or a knock down or knock back or a dizzy or a twirly or a mez or ANYTHING!!! I don't care what you wanna CALL it, EVERYTHING that impedes my movement SHOULD both FILL resolve AND be removed by my 'snare' breaker.

Again...resolve may very well work EXACTLY as designed...but it's an absolute **edit** design.
Using caps is not making it more true, you know.

I specificaly stated why roots and slows can not be part of resolve mechanic. Being catched and killed is of course not fun. Leaping to the target and ending 15 m behind it is not fun too.

You dont have any arguments, only emotions and rage. I cannot disscus with that, so unless you will provede some arguments, I will not respond to you anymore.

lordkhouri
03.27.2012 , 11:03 AM | #28
For Huttball:

Just don't run over the fire, and you should be fine!

...not an option? ok, if u have full resolve and get rooted, you can still pass the ball! <-- The whole point of resolve, and why it works perfectly.

Full resolve does not mean you'll be unstoppable, just that you can't be incapacitated.

Resolve is working perfectly, AND is a great system! No video exists to prove otherwise.
Brobi- Pot5 - <Hostile Takeover>
http://www.twitch.tv/brobi1

TUXs
03.27.2012 , 11:36 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaarsa View Post
Using caps is not making it more true, you know.

I specificaly stated why roots and slows can not be part of resolve mechanic. Being catched and killed is of course not fun. Leaping to the target and ending 15 m behind it is not fun too.

You dont have any arguments, only emotions and rage. I cannot disscus with that, so unless you will provede some arguments, I will not respond to you anymore.
Don't assume CAPS are me YELLING or symbolize any sort of RAGE, they are neither. I use them for EMPHASIS and I will continue to do so.

I did have an argument. If you care to ignore it, that's your choice, but I'll reiterate it for you since you seem to have missed it.

My argument is - Movement impairing effects are NOT a fun game mechanic. Having a system meant to grant you immunity that only works on specific skills causes confusion AND frustration.

Resolve should build with EVERY type of movement impairing effect and immunity should apply to EVERY type of movement impeding skill, no matter what it's 'called' (root, dizzy, stun, freeze, twirl, knock down, knock back, lift, daze, whatever).

You can state all day long why you don't THINK (not "can't", that's an opinion) roots and slows should be part of the resolve mechanic, but it won't change the fact that "I" feel it should be. CC's are out of control in this game and the mechanic designed to offset SOME of it is worthless if it doesn't work as MOST players feel it should.

And please, don't feel I care if you discuss this with me or not - we're free to agree to disagree. I don't need to convince you and you can't convince me. My assertion that it's NOT working, isn't meant to argue with you, it's simply to add my voice to your ridiculous stance that it's working fine as it is, when I, and many others, don't feel it is.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Crumpilumpigus
03.27.2012 , 11:57 AM | #30
Here is what I don't like about resolve:
1. Some sorcerer hits me with a stun and my resolve goes to about 80%.
2. After the stun wears off, he hits me with a root which generates no resolve - and since I'm melee it's almost as good as a stun.
3. After the root wears off, I get a few seconds of DPS up-time on the sorcerer before the resolve generated by the stun wears off.
4. I get hit by another stun that fills my resolve bar to about 80%.
5. Repeat.

I see two problems with this:
1. The sorcerer is getting almost double the DPS up-time on me and yet they are not twice as squishy as me.
2. Most people don't like games where they only have full control of their characters about half the time.