Lightwhip aka "Lightsabre whip"

Icykill_

Bio please introduce a "Lightwhip" aka "Lightsabre whip"

This is a legitimate Starwars weapon - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightwhip

Currently we keep getting all these different colour crystals and sabre handles in cartel packs... But really they are getting a bit stale and boring

Adding a Lightwhip would add something new and exciting

What do you guys think?

Edited by Icykill_

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I like the idea of a lightwhip, and the characters who use them, I don't see where this could fit in. What class would use it? Additionally, whatever class did get it, they would have to redo all of the animations, or add special animations just for that weapon. While that may have been practical at launch, short of them adding a new class to the game, I just don't see them doing it at this stage in the game's cycle.

As much as I like the idea of a lightwhip, and the characters who use them, I don't see where this could fit in. What class would use it? Additionally, whatever class did get it, they would have to redo all of the animations, or add special animations just for that weapon. While that may have been practical at launch, short of them adding a new class to the game, I just don't see them doing it at this stage in the game's cycle.

Only single Lightsabre, not double bladed Lightsabre classes... Not sure about the animations... But would basically be the same as any single light sabre use

Bio please introduce a "Lightwhip" aka "Lightsabre whip"

This is a legitimate Starwars weapon - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightwhip

Currently we keep getting all these different colour crystals and sabre handles in cartel packs... But really they are getting a bit stale and boring

Adding a Lightwhip would add something new and exciting

What do you guys think?

How would the animations work for it?

This is why we can't have nice things. Instead of shutting the hell up, all you get are a bunch of naysayers who think they know what's best for everyone. You don't have to buy it if you don't like it ya know?!

Reading comprehension is not your friend, I see.

We're asking how it would work, who would get it, and how the animations would work.

As it is, this is not a suggestion, it's barely an idea.

instead of shutting the hell up, all you get are a bunch of naysayers who think they know what's best for everyone.

If you don't want to read an opinion that might differ from yours then don't visit the forums. People are just giving their opinion of how something doesn't really fit in with the current combat system. They've made some very valid points and brought up things OP obviously didn't give much thought to.

Only single Lightsabre, not double bladed Lightsabre classes... Not sure about the animations... But would basically be the same as any single light sabre use

Do you have something against double lightsaber classes having access to a double-ended lightwhip? :p

Seriously though, rearranging animations and whatnot for the sake of something that MIGHT be used by a small amount of people (admittingly using a rough estimate and strictly IMO) doesn't sound very...um, sound. Cool as it might be, it just doesn't.

Heck, I'm still thrown off by the amount of color crystals we have access to. I'm pretty sure (strictly saying this for humorous purposes) Luke would be rocking a cyan one. And Yoda...obviously a pink one. It brings out his eyes. :p

Whenever I think of lightwhips I think of Cohe wands... that's another, less-well-known scifi epic series but probably better written than most if not all star wars novels. And the way they were used screamed star wars fights (except for the carnage in them)...

At any rate it is not unprecedented for a game to add a new set of animations for new weapon variations to a game like this. Other than Wow, CoH added added a few sword styles and multi-sword styles if I remember right longer after the game came out. And most MMOs have added classes or sub-classes - the whip user could be a new AC of one of the current glowbat classes so no new story/companions needed. Or make it a heroic new class with new companions and story... I'm sure many people would love to see that happen.

This is the kind of stuff that gives the EU a really bad name. Almost as bad as the Jedi Hutt, complete with toned abs.

And yet people are going mental over crossguard lightsabers and african-american stormtroopers (can you even be "african american" in star wars?) and at the same time lamenting over how the EU has been killed by disney and how "good" it was...

OT: No thanks to lighwhips... one of the dumbest EU inventions ever.

Sorry for being a naysayer...

I know that lightwips exist in the EU (not real Star Wars IMO) but how would that even work?

The whole point of a lightsaber is that it's a difficult weapon to handle but at the same time it works as a sword. Swords can cut, slash, hack and point.

A whip doesn't work that way. A whip is a slow weapon with where you line up your "whips" against a target.

Sure someone will prob suggest Indiana Jones but even Indiana couldn't whip in the speed of lighting.

The truth is a lightwhip against a saber; the whip user whips his target, the target deflect the whip attack and it's game over because the whip user won't have time to line up another whip shot before the saber user has cut him down.

TL: DR it's stupid and the EU sucks (mostly)

Edited by redsovereign

Can "short out violently" when struck with brute force.

ZERO defense capability.

Difficult to use.

Potential for self-inflicted wounds.

Not as powerful as a standard lightsaber.

And the need to be swung wide to gain momentum would prohibit lots of movement while attacking.

If they could code in these things as well I'll be all up for it.

Sorry for being a naysayer...

I know that lightwips exist in the EU (not real Star Wars IMO) but how would that even work?

The whole point of a lightsaber is that it's a difficult weapon to handle but at the same time it works as a sword. Swords can cut, slash, hack and point.

A whip doesn't work that way. A whip is a slow weapon with where you line up your "whips" against a target.

Sure someone will prob suggest Indiana Jones but even Indiana couldn't whip in the speed of lighting.

The truth is a lightwhip against a saber; the whip user whips his target, the target deflect the whip attack and it's game over because the whip user won't have time to line up another whip shot before the saber user has cut him down.

TL: DR it's stupid and the EU sucks (mostly)

That's why when the big dude with the big sword showed up Indie pulled out his pistol and shot him instead of busting out the whip...

That's why when the big dude with the big sword showed up Indie pulled out his pistol and shot him instead of busting out the whip...

No..

The reason Indie shot the guy with the whip was because Harrison was sick the day when they were filming and he asked Spielberg "instead of having a brawl in this scene, why can't I just shot him with my revolver?".

But it's a good reference, that scene proves my point if anything.

No..

The reason Indie shot the guy with the whip was because Harrison was sick the day when they were filming and he asked Spielberg "instead of having a brawl in this scene, why can't I just shot him with my revolver?".

But it's a good reference, that scene proves my point if anything.

*Harrison shot first

As much as I would like to see more exotic weapons in the game (with the Lightwhip being at the very top of the list), as others have pointed out they would have to redo the underlying animations for how the characters move when they are using them, and I just don't see that investment of time and resources happening anytime soon.

(Fun fact: the Lightwhip (early 1985) has been a part of the Star Wars universe for over a decade longer than the double-bladed lightsaber! (late 1995))

Edited by DarthDymond

If you don't want to read an opinion that might differ from yours then don't visit the forums. People are just giving their opinion of how something doesn't really fit in with the current combat system. They've made some very valid points and brought up things OP obviously didn't give much thought to.

Opinion wise I don't like the idea. The TNG episode where the Ferengi were introduced the Ferengi had energy whip weapons. The powers that be scrapped that in the future because they realized it looked kind of stupid.

I agree with that....it looked stupid in TNG and it will in SW.