Planning to buy a new laptop for SWTOR, any suggestion?

lilathrone

I know I shouldn't buy laptop for gaming, but as I'm travelling a lot, PC is not an option for me unfortunately.

I've been using my 4 year old laptop with nvidia 840m and i7 4510u, but playing SW:ToR is getting a little frustrating with the lagfest on world bosses or raids and pvp, and with the new expansion soon coming I finally decided to change my rig to a new one. I don't wanna spend a lot on it on high-end tier laptops so I'm thinking more in middle or entry level category on gaming laptops.

What I'm thinking on buying:

ASUS ROG TUF FX505DU

AMD Ryzen 7 3750H

16 GB RAM

512 GB SSD

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

Do any of you have experience with similar configuration on SW:ToR? Or as far as I know swtor is very cpu heavy, so should I pick a better intel instead? (But that's also more expensive :( )

Can you recommend better in this ~1000 EUR range? I really don't wanna struggle with swtor stuttering any more.

Thank you!

I have had an HP Omen 17in for about 18 months now, and SWTOR still runs fabulously on it. I will probably be getting a new Omen for Christmas this year. They are usually about $900 US.....which I THINK.... is about 800 EUR.

I have 1 TB Spinny (15000rpm) disk in mine just because I was too cheap to go with the SSD. I like the Omen because it has 16GB RAM and an additional 8GB dedicated for GPU (upgrades over the SSD for what I wanted)

I know I shouldn't buy laptop for gaming, but as I'm travelling a lot, PC is not an option for me unfortunately.

I've been using my 4 year old laptop with nvidia 840m and i7 4510u, but playing SW:ToR is getting a little frustrating with the lagfest on world bosses or raids and pvp, and with the new expansion soon coming I finally decided to change my rig to a new one. I don't wanna spend a lot on it on high-end tier laptops so I'm thinking more in middle or entry level category on gaming laptops.

ASUS ROG TUF FX505DU

AMD Ryzen 7 3750H

16 GB RAM

512 GB SSD

Do any of you have experience with similar configuration on SW:ToR? Or as far as I know swtor is very cpu heavy, so should I pick a better intel instead? (But that's also more expensive :( )

Can you recommend better in this ~1000 EUR range? I really don't wanna struggle with swtor stuttering any more.

Thank you!

Actually, Ryzen processors make for a better SWTOR experience. Sure, the intel's may be "faster", but people on the Ryzen processors say the game plays smooth. With intels, its peaks and valleys, micro-stutters, etc. Intel has a higher top end, but AMD Ryzen has a higher "floor" which if you aren't counting FPS and just enjoying the game makes for a better experience.

Only change I would make if I were you (and if you can afford it) is to beef up that hard drive. Otherwise, it looks real solid to me.

my suggestion is get a desktop unless you are traveling all the time with your job, if you are going to school just get a basic laptop for school and a desktop at home..Gaming laptops are hot, loud, and sluggish for the price. Edited by SaerethDL

you won't need a particuarly powerful graphics card, but you will need a strong single core performance CPU (even within multicore). This game is more heavily dependent on the CPU. Also make sure you got around 8GB or ram as well, just so you have all the resources you'll need to play the game and run windows and any other software in the background.

This game is over 20GB big, so you won't need a really big SSD, but it will help your loading times over a traditional machanical HDD. I think Intel integrated cards are now more an option, those horrible crappy things should be able to run the graphics pretty well, so all you need is a strong single core performance CPU, the higher you can get per core above 3.0GHZ the better it will run.

Edited by Celise

my suggestion is get a desktop unless you are traveling all the time with your job, if you are going to school just get a basic laptop for school and a desktop at home..Gaming laptops are hot, loud, and sluggish for the price.

Yea I know, unfortunately I do a lot of international traveling because of my job, so it's really not an option.

I have had an HP Omen 17in for about 18 months now, and SWTOR still runs fabulously on it. I will probably be getting a new Omen for Christmas this year. They are usually about $900 US.....which I THINK.... is about 800 EUR.

I have 1 TB Spinny (15000rpm) disk in mine just because I was too cheap to go with the SSD. I like the Omen because it has 16GB RAM and an additional 8GB dedicated for GPU (upgrades over the SSD for what I wanted)

Thanks for the suggestion, I checked the Omen series, but they are more like 2 grand where I live.

I'm not sure if notebook prices are kinda the same in Europe and USA.

my suggestion is get a desktop unless you are traveling all the time with your job, if you are going to school just get a basic laptop for school and a desktop at home..Gaming laptops are hot, loud, and sluggish for the price.

This. Don't buy a laptop for gaming unless it's absolutely necessary.

I've been using my 4 year old laptop with nvidia 840m and i7 4510u.....ASUS ROG TUF FX505DU

SWTOR is very CPU dependant and likes fast CPUs with high clock speed. I'd suggest you primarily look for a laptop with a fast CPU and worry about the GPU as a secondary concern.

The Ryzen 7 3750H is definitely faster than your old i7-4510U and overall the specs look good for that laptop.

Note though, that even high end desktops will get reduced FPS with SWTOR in PvP and OPs. Hopefully it will be "playable" however.

Also, to avoid overheating - since SWTOR will create a lot of CPU and GPU heat - don't push the graphics settings too much.

Also - SWTOR uses at most 2 cores/threads so, when it comes to SWTOR the number of cores (beyond 4) is not much of a factor.

Edited by JediQuaker

ASUS ROG TUF FX505DU

AMD Ryzen 7 3750H

16 GB RAM

512 GB SSD

Thank you!

I've bought Dell G3 in November last year, it literally eats everything I play.

Specs

Intel i7 8750h (always around 4GHz on all cores 6c/12t)

M.2. PCIe SSD 512GB

16GB dual channel 2666 MHz CL15 HyperX Impact

Nvidia GTX 1050Ti

15.6" IPS 1080p screen (if that matters).

SWTOR runs very smoothly.

Mine was a little over 1000 euros.

Keep in mind that you probably have to undervolt it a bit to lower the temps.

Before buying certian model, be sure to check reviews for it.

SWTOR is very CPU dependant and likes fast CPUs with high clock speed. I'd suggest you primarily look for a laptop with a fast CPU and worry about the GPU as a secondary concern.

The Ryzen 7 3750H is definitely faster than your old i7-4510U and overall the specs look good for that laptop.

Note though, that even high end desktops will get reduced FPS with SWTOR in PvP and OPs. Hopefully it will be "playable" however.

Also, to avoid overheating - since SWTOR will create a lot of CPU and GPU heat - don't push the graphics settings too much.

Also - SWTOR uses at most 2 cores/threads so, when it comes to SWTOR the number of cores (beyond 4) is not much of a factor.

Just an update to that, I believe now SWTOR will use up to 4 cores now, but not more than that.

get a 400-500 gaming PC and you can run this game on ultra settings

How will this help the OP when he's out on the road for work?

(I'm also inclined to express some doubt about the validity of the concept of a 400-500 *gaming*PC*. 1400-3500, sure, i'd let you put those numbers next to "gaming PC" without a quibble, but ...)

(The above is not mean to imply that you need to spend that much in order to play SWTOR on Ultra, just that at the 400-500 price level, it isn't likely to be worthy of the title "gaming PC".)