Crisis on Umbrara Story, Upset and Dismayed

Shiannelove

This story update is not something I'm happy about, and I'm not going to play it multiple times like I have every other update or expansion. The kotfe/kotet story was disliked by many, including myself. But I played it anyway b/c I enjoy the swtor game for its gameplay style AND its story. But the recent update has a major character not only acting out of character, but also upsets those who love this character wholeheartedly.

I've seen posts from people believing the traitor

Theron

is a triple agent and not voluntarily betraying you. But that doesn't change that its poor writing, and is a heavy weight on the scale of pros and cons of swtor's current state. I had faith in swtor coming back around, and I could look past kotfe/kotet's shortcomings, but not anymore.

I've taken breaks from swtor in the past for personal reasons. But eventually, I'd come back to it, and still love it as much as I used to. I stayed subscribed for all of kotfe/kotet despite that the subscription rewards weren't as great as I hoped they'd be, and despite that the story didn't live up to the swtor standard. But I did it because I wanted to support the game, and I wanted the new content as soon as it became available.

I loved the original story of swtor because of the choices you could make, and that made making new characters fun. I could experience changes in the story. And the sheer number of stories you make- having a unique story for each class, added LS/DS differences, and romances made for both female and male players, was something unheard of for many mmorpg games. Plus I had loved the Star Wars films and the Clone Wars TV series, and was jumping at the chance to be a part of its universe.

Now, I still will be, but to a reduced degree. I'll continue re-playing the original content for all its worth, and I'll play my mains (who went thru kotfe/kotet) on non-story content b/c I enjoy their gameplay style and abilities. But I will only continue with the story to bring back old companions I desire, nothing else.

Hopefully, whenever you finish the eternal alliance storyline, bring back ALL old companions, and move on to the next expansion, you'll win back my favor. But until then, you'll have to settle for my disappointment and my reluctant, crestfallen participation.

This thread is for those of us genuinely upset by the Umbara update, and future story updates.

It was'nt that bad, i actually enjoyed it, i look forward to seeing what "The Order" is and what their ultimate goals are, could maybe provide some more context to the "plot twist". Not the best story update but definitely not a bad one either IMO.

Yeah I didn't really have a problem with it, that said this 'Order' faction are probably already going to be some crappy out of this world (even for the likes of Star Wars) pointless crappy mob like the Eternal Empire. (KOTFE and KOTET destroyed the game they need to go back to old school Jedi V Sith Republic Vs Empire.)

I'll admit that I wasn't *expecting* the way it went, but I wasn't *surprised* by it.

It more or less *had* to be an inside job, or at least there *had* to be an insider involved. Tyth was right: the Outlander/Alliance Commander/Empress of the Eternal Alliance had been betrayed. (If it's purely outsiders managing to find out and distribute the information, then it's not *betrayal*, but if an insider is directly responsible for the situation, then it is.) But I wasn't expecting *that* insider.

So I'm looking forward to finding out more about a certain thing, and I'm looking forward to trying it with a couple of my characters to see how it changes.

I did it on my Commando main, who has a normally light-leaning moral compass that, since she reached KotFE Chapter III, has had occasional ... lapses, to the extent that neither Koth nor Elara Dorne are members of the Alliance and that she declared herself Empress of the Eternal Alliance. She romanced AJ, but switched her allegiance to Theron during SoR, and Lana during KotFE.(1)

I intend to take another two for sure, one Shadow who is ready to start KotET, a Lana-follower who will choose to be the Galactic Peacemaker, and one Shadow who is ready to start KotFE Chapter XI, a Theron-follower who will also choose to be the Peacemaker. And perhaps also my Operative who reunited with Kaliyo, and is now at the beginning of Chapter XI.

But the recent update has a major character not only acting out of character, but also upsets those who love this character wholeheartedly.

You should check

Charles and Sam's twitter accounts ;)

Check your PM's. Sent you the links.

Edited by Tadagyt

Ok, so I´m kinda shellshocked and floating in a bubble of despair here....

Please don´t take the traitor away from my characters, I desperately need this companion back. This is so out of character for this companion if it´s not a big twist in the story to come.

Help me devs, your my only hope

I'm very unhappy as well. It's just been weird, haphazard and poorly written so far. If there is a triple agent thing going on as it seems, why did the traitor not bring our character in on this? If it's not a triple agent scenario and this person really did betray us, it makes them completely OOC and destroys their character. The whole thing was short and awkward and seemed like it was meant to apply to a DS overlord type character and didn't fit LS peacekeepers at all. The excuses the traitor made for betraying the LS character were paper thin and seemed like an afterthought but they had to smash both alignments in to one story due to budgetary reasons I guess. We're losing any and all variety and replay value bit by bit. I've been here and without a gap in my subscription since a few months after launch but I think it's finally time for that to change.

I'm very unhappy as well. It's just been weird, haphazard and poorly written so far. If there is a triple agent thing going on as it seems, why did the traitor not bring our character in on this? If it's not a triple agent scenario and this person really did betray us, it makes them completely OOC and destroys their character. The whole thing was short and awkward and seemed like it was meant to apply to a DS overlord type character and didn't fit LS peacekeepers at all. The excuses the traitor made for betraying the LS character were paper thin and seemed like an afterthought but they had to smash both alignments in to one story due to budgetary reasons I guess. We're losing any and all variety and replay value bit by bit. I've been here and without a gap in my subscription since a few months after launch but I think it's finally time for that to change.

YES all of this is exactly how I feel.

It all makes perfect sense to me if he was lying through his teeth to put on a grand show for someone who was obviously listening in.

I think the entire point was that the mustache-twirly speech was supposed to be out of character for him.

Edited by Dracofish

why did the traitor not bring our character in on this?

If you are Empress/Emperor of the Eternal Alliance (i.e. you went DS at the end of KotET), then:

He is quite clear that he regards "I am the Empress of the Eternal Alliance" to mean "I am going to make war on you all." (fist of steel, gauntlet of steel) What my LS Empresses all meant was, "I am going to impose peace on the galaxy" or "You are going to work *FOR* me to bring peace" (velvet glove, fist of steel) rather than "I am going to work with you to bring peace." Translation: Shoulder-boy is an idiot.

If you are the Galactic Peacemaker, well, I don't know yet because I don't have any pathological weaklings.

If you are Empress/Emperor of the Eternal Alliance (i.e. you went DS at the end of KotET), then:

He is quite clear that he regards "I am the Empress of the Eternal Alliance" to mean "I am going to make war on you all." (fist of steel, gauntlet of steel) What my LS Empresses all meant was, "I am going to impose peace on the galaxy" or "You are going to work *FOR* me to bring peace" (velvet glove, fist of steel) rather than "I am going to work with you to bring peace." Translation: Shoulder-boy is an idiot.

If you are the Galactic Peacemaker, well, I don't know yet because I don't have any pathological weaklings.

Yes, I was referring to the LS/peacekeeper option. This was clearly written with a DS overlord in mind and the peacekeeper was sloppily tacked on.

The second he started talking on the train, I knew something was up, hell even back on Odessen when you get your little moment with him in the staging area (if you romanced him). His whole speech sounded like a badly rehearsed acting role. But I think the devs meant to do it that way, so as not to lose a whole bunch of his fans. I would have liked it better if they had made it less obvious. Yes, it would have saddened me deeply to think that he could do something like that, but I want my story believable. He's a spy, he should be a better actor than that. On a personal note, the message you get from him at the end made me tear up so....

The second he started talking on the train, I knew something was up, hell even back on Odessen when you get your little moment with him in the staging area (if you romanced him). His whole speech sounded like a badly rehearsed acting role. But I think the devs meant to do it that way, so as not to lose a whole bunch of his fans. I would have liked it better if they had made it less obvious. Yes, it would have saddened me deeply to think that he could do something like that, but I want my story believable. He's a spy, he should be a better actor than that. On a personal note, the message you get from him at the end made me tear up so....

Haha, I think they meant to make it sorta obvious, otherwise there'd be full-on rioting in the streets, moreso than there is now, lol. There's still small flickers of doubt, but I'm staying pretty positive (considering I'd been spoilered on this for over two weeks now). There are also some hopeful Tweets floating around from writers hinting at fans to "just hang in there!"

The one common theme I'm seeing is that folks are saying it's so out of character...of course it is! The people he's putting on a show for don't know him from a can of paint, so as long as he can convince them of his intentions, that's all that matters. Maybe that was also part of his plan...be so obvious to the Commander. The way the Commander even asks about why he didn't take all the crystals makes it sound like he/she may already have wheels turning about what really happened.

And, if romanced, we know that he is very truthful about really loving the Commander...because it's not like he'd just lie to the air when nobody is there to here it. And yeah, Mr. Baker really nailed that line. I wonder if when they handed him the whole script they were like "ok, so we deliberately want you to sound off-character here, here, and here."

Edited by Dracofish

YES all of this is exactly how I feel.

I feel the exact same way. I'm hugely disappointed. I've been a subscriber for several years, and have subscriptions I pay for for family members. They are about done with SW because of the storyline. No one likes all the companions, too many of them. And the now they've ruined a favorite new companion, and have still not returned prior companions.

A new chapter better be out PDQ or can foresee cancelling all 4 subscriptions I have for the family. No one is happy with this. In KOTFE and KOTET while some aspects were problematic for some of us, over all I was okay with the story line, just not the lack of finding all old companions. But the Iokath expansion has been horrible from inception. 1st. It you are a DS warrior and killed Quinn, how is he alive now? Since I didn't play DS warrior it wasn't an issue for me, but was an issue for a family member. I was anxious to hunt down the traitor, and we have numerous conversations on who that traitor would be. The traitor exposed was never considered.

Even if it is a triple agent thing as has been suggested, I don't think that will matter to some of us. The betrayal cut deep. as someone else posted. I won't be playing through this chapter will all of my toons. I've done it on two and i hated it on both.

Come on Devs give a new chapter soon and fix the mess you've made.

Yeah that "I loved you from the moment I saw you" got me right in the heart :(

While I do think the concept of a traitor in the ranks and the possibility of them

only pretending to be a traitor to infiltrate some evil organization

is an interesting idea, I don't think they've handled it well so far. Everything has been so abrupt and short and disconnected and out of the blue and the story parts have been so few and far between. This new story segment only had 10 minutes of cutscenes and conversations for a 4 month wait.

Yeah that "I loved you from the moment I saw you" got me right in the heart :(

While I do think the concept of a traitor in the ranks and the possibility of them

only pretending to be a traitor to infiltrate some evil organization

is an interesting idea, I don't think they've handled it well so far. Everything has been so abrupt and short and disconnected and out of the blue and the story parts have been so few and far between. This new story segment only had 10 minutes of cutscenes and conversations for a 4 month wait.

I had 3 toons waiting on Iokath for this expansion, so I was a little perturbed at the beginning when I had to haul my cookies back to Odessen to start it. The Iokath stuff at least had a point and a little background and plot to it. This felt more like a rushed job to placate those of us who weren't on board with all of the group content and new strongholds that they've been churning out lately. If they hadn't wasted time with those, I would have felt a little better about how short and seemingly random this one was, but they've released plenty of stuff between April and now, just nothing for the story that they started. I get that they are short-handed and have a bunch of new projects coming out, but they need to prioritize their time better, or hire more writers and staff.

Ok, so I´m kinda shellshocked and floating in a bubble of despair here....

Please don´t take the traitor away from my characters, I desperately need this companion back. This is so out of character for this companion if it´s not a big twist in the story to come.

Help me devs, your my only hope

yeah... there goes one of my highest lvl companions... just like that... in a piece of bad writing, because: PLOT TWIST: HE HAD TO BETRAY YOU IN ORDER TO CONVINCE...THE ORDER...OF HIS SINCERITY... IN ORDER... TO INFILTRATE THEM...

Yawn... who writes this ???? Captain Obvious

Koth would have been such a better and more logical solution, since he betrayed you once AND took your main weapon and ran away afterwards once again... he d be the perfect scapegoat

yeah... there goes one of my highest lvl companions... just like that... in a piece of bad writing, because: PLOT TWIST: HE HAD TO BETRAY YOU IN ORDER TO CONVINCE...THE ORDER...OF HIS SINCERITY... IN ORDER... TO INFILTRATE THEM...

Yawn... who writes this ???? Captain Obvious

Koth would have been such a better and more logical solution, since he betrayed you once AND took your main weapon and ran away afterwards once again... he d be the perfect scapegoat

Except that

For ... that fraction of characters, he's *dead*, by the Outlander's own hand, no less.

I wouldn't be too upset anyway. We all see that something else is going on and I, for one, hope they are setting up for a good story arc with this character and a deeper LI story. I love the character, both as an LI and a friend, but this LI is a little lacking when compared to the vanilla ones, probably because you aren't with this one as long. This could shape up to be a very good story, hopefully with a sweet ending for an LI ;)

First, the game is awsome! The second i think all those trolls for just being asses and dont want to play it, leave. And third why be upset do it 100 times more until you cant do it any more i have played this game for 7- 8 years i loved kotor 1, 2 and i hope if you have an old xbox you will do the story on xbox have a (or 24) dr pepper and try from the beginning. Relax and do some new characters do it over again and again. Cuz bro this is what people lack in this game, patience. And i am truly sorry if this game is something else than what you expected. You can guess how long i waited for this game? When did bioware released kotor 1 i mean i played that game at the time when everything like a big blob of paint. Then 2004 it came, "THE SITH LORDS" i had waited for 3 years for a "game update". So when all of you guys talk about waiting you dont have a clue what waiting is.. I mean God 3 years!! It´s alot of characters alot of dark side vs. light side And then we player where stuck in a loop hole for 5 YEARS 5 years!! So don´t, dont speak ill of this game end of story!!! :ph_agree:

In a sense it might not matter whether the "traitor" was genuinely betraying the Alliance or whether the traitor was acting as a 'rogue' double agent infiltrating the Order. From BW's perspective it would be quite easy to have the storyline be such that both of those possibilities have the same effect -- exposing serious weakness in the alliance and the loss of one of it's early leading members. The end result could be to eliminate The alliance from the SW:TOR storyline in the future a so many claim to want.

Just a thought.