this "original story" might not even mess with the current EU

lord-durpp

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will go with what would be financially safest route: not abusing the hell out of Luke in the new series could prove very risky. So i believe they will bring back luke one way or another. Which probably means EU (at least the new era) will be changed.

They will go with what would be financially safest route: not abusing the hell out of Luke in the new series could prove very risky. So i believe they will bring back luke one way or another. Which probably means EU (at least the new era) will be changed.

The financially safest route would be the Thrawn Trilogy, since most fans have at least heard of it, and those who have read it nearly unanimously agree that it would make a great movie trilogy.

But we know it's not going to be the Thrawn trilogy. Confirmed many times over in news articles.

I think the best thing they could do is create an original story that doesn't tread on the toes of the EU. I can be done. I know some people really seem to hate it and want the EU dead and buried, but many fans enjoy it and they would best not stir things up *too* much.

But we know it's not going to be the Thrawn trilogy. Confirmed many times over in news articles.

I think the best thing they could do is create an original story that doesn't tread on the toes of the EU. I can be done. I know some people really seem to hate it and want the EU dead and buried, but many fans enjoy it and they would best not stir things up *too* much.

No. alot of people hate what post-rotj EU has done to the franchise..most of the fans that watched the movies dont even have a clue what the EU is anyhow.

No. alot of people hate what post-rotj EU has done to the franchise..most of the fans that watched the movies dont even have a clue what the EU is anyhow.

The Yuuzhan Vong was where the ExU really went downhill. I wouldn't mind a retcon of that, tbh. Most of the early post-RotJ novels were outstanding, though. It would be a shame to throw all of that out the window. Since George isn't going to be writing, directing, or producing the new Star Wars movies (Thank The Force), give the new movies a D-Canon designation (for Disney Canon - my term which may or may not change when Leland Chee figures out what to do), and have it be its own reality that splits from the current OT/PT/ExU Universe. Then there is no need to retcon anything in the current Star Wars Universe. Instead of having two overlapping universes like we do now, it would be two distinct and separate universes.

OT/PT/ExU

OT/PT/Disney

It's the only way to keep all the fans at least satisfied, if not happy. Hell, it seems the hardest thing in the world is keeping Star Wars fans happy.

The Yuuzhan Vong was where the ExU really went downhill. I wouldn't mind a retcon of that, tbh. Most of the early post-RotJ novels were outstanding, though. It would be a shame to throw all of that out the window. Since George isn't going to be writing, directing, or producing the new Star Wars movies (Thank The Force), give the new movies a D-Canon designation (for Disney Canon - my term which may or may not change when Leland Chee figures out what to do), and have it be its own reality that splits from the current OT/PT/ExU Universe. Then there is no need to retcon anything in the current Star Wars Universe. Instead of having two overlapping universes like we do now, it would be two distinct and separate universes.

OT/PT/ExU

OT/PT/Disney

It's the only way to keep all the fans at least satisfied, if not happy. Hell, it seems the hardest thing in the world is keeping Star Wars fans happy.

Doubt itll happen. ALOT of comics from Pre-ANH were retconned into oblivion when the PT came out. Wont really chance either in this instance imo.

I don't think they paid $4 billion for the entire Star Wars franchise to then turn around and start making movies without any characters from the existing SW universe. That's an awful lot just to put the name "Star Wars" in front of some random stories about a bunch of random characters. Also, the head of Disney made it a point in his investor press conference to mention that how big the entire SW universe is and how they were buying the whole thing, not just what was in the first 6 films.

Doubt itll happen. ALOT of comics from Pre-ANH were retconned into oblivion when the PT came out. Wont really chance either in this instance imo.

even post ROTJ EU stuff was retconned. Lucas never cared about the EU why would Disney? They know changing the EU never hurt sales.

I don't think they paid $4 billion for the entire Star Wars franchise to then turn around and start making movies without any characters from the existing SW universe. That's an awful lot just to put the name "Star Wars" in front of some random stories about a bunch of random characters. Also, the head of Disney made it a point in his investor press conference to mention that how big the entire SW universe is and how they were buying the whole thing, not just what was in the first 6 films.

no of course they won't do that. They will have Luke, Han and Leia at least in episode 7 if not all 3 in minor roles. It's so they give people something familer. However they will be introducing their own characters and then those characters will get their own spin off movies. So in 5 or 10 years we will be getting smaller star wars movies based on individual characters like we do now with the Marvel movies.

So in between say episdoe 8 or 9 we will get 2 or 3 star wars movies based on characters showing what they are doing in between the episdoes.

Sort of like having a Shadows of the Empire movie in between Episode 4 and 5.

I just want them to retcon everything except the 6 movies. There should be no reason that Disney doesn't go their own direction with movies, comics, t.v. shows or anything else. Im sorry but im old and anything star wars past RoTJ has sucked. Jedi Knight 2 was playable but seriously we need a retcon on anything past EP.6

Throw in the current Mark or recast could be a bigger risk.

Let Mark appear in a holocron and make a cameo appearance.

Now that is a Star Wars movie, I wouldn't mind seeing. Dash Rendar is an awesome character.

but you see what i'm saying. It's a much smaller story then say Empire or Return. This is the kind of thing we can expect to see with disney in charge.

They will make the 3 main episodes and then do smaller spin off movies involving only some of the characters. Then those stories will all lead up to the next big trilogy.

Just like what they are doing with Marvel and the Avengers.

For all the people who wish the EU to be destroyed, you will be sorely disappointed. Disney would be foolish as hell to ruin or even dump the EU. Part of the reason Star Wars is as huge as it is now is because of the EU. Remove that and you will see a great exodus of fans who give up on the franchise. Disney would LOSE money. The EU will stand as is, with some tweaking here and there.

The new films have a lot of room for new stories that take place in between the events of the novels.There is no need to stomp over the EU while also not needing to make any existing work into a film. Like it or not, the EU will stay.

For all the people who wish the EU to be destroyed, you will be sorely disappointed. Disney would be foolish as hell to ruin or even dump the EU. Part of the reason Star Wars is as huge as it is now is because of the EU. Remove that and you will see a great exodus of fans who give up on the franchise. Disney would LOSE money. The EU will stand as is, with some tweaking here and there.

The new films have a lot of room for new stories that take place in between the events of the novels.There is no need to stomp over the EU while also not needing to make any existing work into a film. Like it or not, the EU will stay.

no they won't They didn't up and leave when lucas made the prequels and dumped all the EU stuff. They are not going to leave now. Especially if the new stuff turns out to be good.

Remember less then 1% of the total Star Wars fans have ever read a Star Wars book.

no they won't They didn't up and leave when lucas made the prequels and dumped all the EU stuff. They are not going to leave now. Especially if the new stuff turns out to be good.

Remember less then 1% of the total Star Wars fans have ever read a Star Wars book.

Most of the EU didn't get dumped, just some old style comic and some short stories.

Less than 1%? How do you know that? I swear, the numbers people throw around.:rolleyes:

Lucas never dumped all the Eu stuff. Older comics and a few other things. But the EU from the 90's on is still intact and will remain so. I also stand by what I said about Disney losing money of they ditch the EU. They would be stupid to do so.

Less than 1%? How do you know that? I swear, the numbers people throw around.:rolleyes:

Lucas never dumped all the Eu stuff. Older comics and a few other things. But the EU from the 90's on is still intact and will remain so. I also stand by what I said about Disney losing money of they ditch the EU. They would be stupid to do so.

easy look at ticket sales for the movies. The prequels easily sold well over 100 million tickets each.

The books at best only ever sell around 100k

do the math that comes out to less then 1%.

If you want to look at the break down the books are pretty much the smallest part of the pie

http://www.statisticbrain.com/star-wars-total-franchise-revenue/