Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Advanced Prototype vs Pyrotech DPS

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Advanced Prototype vs Pyrotech DPS

Xsorus's Avatar


Xsorus
01.05.2012 , 12:41 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Mhak View Post
Believe it or not I tested 31/8/2 ST build in DPS gear and did comparable damage to an AP. In my DPS gear as ST, RP crits for about 3k, and crits nearly all the time. The ICG Proc crits for about 300ish, and if I'm being attacked it basically means I'm using a 3.3k Rocket Punch every 4.5 seconds. The difference bwteen AP/ST then? You have infinitely more survivability as ST - even in dps gear but still using a shield - than you do as AP, while losing no damage. Getting a RP crit for over 3k, having it immediately reset and doing it again for nearly 7k damage in 1.5 seconds is glorious and burst that AP cant compete with.

When I was AP I didn't spec into the -20% damage while stunned for one reason - 90% of the time I'm stunned I can just break out of it, and the few times I'm being CCd so heavily that I can't break out of a stun, it usually means I'm getting trained by 4+ people and will die even if I was taking -50% damage, much less -20%.

AP is just such a useless tree overall. The most powerful ability of the spec (+50% FT damage) is almost never used except on trash in PvE fights, certainly almost never in PvP, despite the fact that AP was an obvious attempt at making a PvP build. For shame Bioware.
The Part I put in Bold is all you need to know about this poster to no longer listen to him.

Also, if you can't use Flamethrower in PvP, you're doing it wrong...

Mhak's Avatar


Mhak
01.05.2012 , 12:47 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Xsorus View Post
Also, if you can't use Flamethrower in PvP, you're doing it wrong...
The part I put in bold is all you need to read to understand why this person has never PvP'd successfully as a bounty hunter and likely has no idea how PvP works at all in this game. I might be wrong though. This is just my subjective opinion based off this person talking like they have no idea how PvP works at all in this game.

It might all be an elaborate ruse. Maybe he'd like to post a SS of his best game to let us all know he has any idea what he's talking about?

inb4 he can't for w/e his excuse is.

borkbork's Avatar


borkbork
01.05.2012 , 01:29 AM | #23
Not picking up damage reduction and not using flame is a big PVP AP-spec fail IMHO

Grapple + (stun) + flame = profit

chainsawsamurai's Avatar


chainsawsamurai
01.05.2012 , 01:37 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by borkbork View Post
Not picking up damage reduction and not using flame is a big PVP AP-spec fail IMHO

Grapple + (stun) + flame = profit
Actually the "big AP fail" is requiring you to use Flame Thrower so you can half the damage and none of the burst that Pyro has.

Pyro is a significantly better spec in almost all regards right now. Don't take it like some personal insult or affront to your Retractable Blading manhood or anything, I'm just saying it needs some serious fixes to compete.

Mhak's Avatar


Mhak
01.05.2012 , 01:41 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by borkbork View Post
Not picking up damage reduction and not using flame is a big PVP AP-spec fail IMHO

Grapple + (stun) + flame = profit
First of all, the combo you just listed omits the prerequisite five Flame Bursts required to use a +50% Flame Thrower, which is the only time an AP should ever ever be using it. You have demonstrated that you have never PvPd as a 50 AP PT =/

Second, the damage reduction of SA is dependent on being stunned, which is the *only* kind of CC you should be saving your Determination for, which means the amount of time any BH with an IQ above room temperature is stunned is very low in any given PvP match. The very few times you are stunned and can't break out of it, the chances that a -20% damage during those 4 or less seconds saving your life is more rare still.

Third, there's a reason you don't see many level 50 BHs using Flame Throw in PvP outside of extremely situational circumstances like keeping bombs off a door. Between how easy it is to interrupt, how easy it is to avoid, how bad the ticking mechanics of the skill work, and the requirement of you being immobile while channeling all factor into it being one of the least useful pvp-skills a BH has at level 50.

borkbork's Avatar


borkbork
01.05.2012 , 01:43 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by chainsawsamurai View Post
Actually the "big AP fail" is requiring you to use Flame Thrower so you can half the damage and none of the burst that Pyro has.

Pyro is a significantly better spec in almost all regards right now. Don't take it like some personal insult or affront to your Retractable Blading manhood or anything, I'm just saying it needs some serious fixes to compete.
Didn't say pyro was weaker or better just pointed out that AP wo use of flame and damage red seems pointless

borkbork's Avatar


borkbork
01.05.2012 , 01:44 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Mhak View Post
First of all, the combo you just listed omits the prerequisite five Flame Bursts required to use a +50% Flame Thrower, which is the only time an AP should ever ever be using it. You have demonstrated that you have never PvPd as a 50 AP PT right off that bat. But it gets better =/

The damage reduction of SA is dependent on being stunned, which is the *only* kind of CC you should be saving your Determination for, which means the amount of time any BH with an IQ above room temperature is stunned is very low in any given PvP match. The very few times you are stunned and can't break out of it, the chances that a -20% damage during those 4 or less seconds saving your life is more rare still.

Third, there's a reason you don't see many level 50 BHs using Flame Throw in PvP. It's because they've learned better by then.
No said no such thing .... read again and please make no assumptions of you being more skilled or cunning.

Mhak's Avatar


Mhak
01.05.2012 , 01:47 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by borkbork View Post
No said no such thing .... read again
I don't need to read it again. You have never PvP'd as a level 50 Bounty Hunter spec'd Advanced Prototype, or you wouldn't have said what you did. There's nothing else to say or read into this.

Please only comment if you have experience to back it up. This is not a theorycraft thread.

borkbork's Avatar


borkbork
01.05.2012 , 01:49 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Mhak View Post
I don't need to read it again. You have never PvP'd as a level 50 Bounty Hunter spec'd Advanced Prototype, or you wouldn't have said what you did. There's nothing else to say or read into this.

Please only comment if you have experience to back it up. This is not a theorycraft thread.
You prolly pass on hitman as well

Kozor's Avatar


Kozor
01.05.2012 , 09:30 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Xsorus View Post
The Part I put in Bold is all you need to know about this poster to no longer listen to him.

Also, if you can't use Flamethrower in PvP, you're doing it wrong...
Just try using Flamethrower efficiently on Aldeeran with the whole abilities lag thing. I dare you.