Healer vs Infernal Council Assassin HM

I consider myself a fairly good operative healer and I'm currently wearing all black hole gear. I was in a HM EV last night and I got my butt kicked by the assassin I was fighting on the fourth fight. We ended up getting through it when someone picked up my guy too, but that shouldn't have had to happen.

So: I am looking for specific tips on how to win this fight. Any and all help would be appreciated :)

On a side note, what operations will I need better gear before I attempt? It's frustrating there's no suggested gear list.

Always keep 2 stacks of your HoT on yourself and your tacticals for healing yourself. Interrupt the dudes channel ability as often as possible and eat the other with shield probe. You dont really need to burst him overly fast as you have plenty of time to outlast him. In BH gear you should not be having problems with damage though. So not sure maybe someone cast something that caused you to get the debuff where your damage was reduced.

Those assassins hit hard so you have to balance dps with healing yourself. Use your free dps and shiv when energy is an issue. Otherwise cycle through you dps, heals and shield. Use dart instead of grenade so you don't accidentally hit another mob. Your never going to kill it before a dps person kills theirs. It's all about keeping a steady pace and not blowing everything try for that burst damage.

Also don't use your aoe heal. If you use it there is a good chance it will hit more than yourself and then you get the debuff. Infact move all your aoe stuff out of the way for that fight so you don't use by mistake.

Edited by Billoneofmany

I've only got Scoundrel healer, so pardon my republic terminology, but I've never had trouble on this fight. (It is slow going and more than once my gunslinger raid-leading guildy has stolen the killshot to pad is DPS for a half-joking e-peen contest he has ongoing with our top shadow DPS. :D)

Keep your HoTs rolling on yourself to build upper hand (tactical advantage?) so you can use your insta-cast heal when stuff hits the fan. Remember, that's your "you cannot die button." First time I ran this someone said on vent "uh oh, looks like Desperot's in trouble" to which I replied "no i'm not: watch this" *pop pop pop pop* 4 casts of emergency medpack (forget the Op term) thanks to the first refunding UH for me being under 30% when i hit it and I was good as new again. As long as you have your UH/TA in reserve, you're golden. In fact, you should have them built and your HoT rolling BEFORE the fight starts.

As far as the actual fight - don't forget you can be stealthed and use your stealth attack to open. You can get 2 shots in with Shoot First & Backblast (again, unsure of Op term), then start your XS Flyby (Orbital Strike) before the dude even turns to face you. (Just be sure your AoE won't catch someone else's target. Might be good to let your neighbors know you're going to do that so they don't pull into it). Keep your DoT going (Corrosive Probe for Op, IIRC). Don't try to burst, because you can't really - just peck away at him and watch your health and energy and you should be fine. Also make use of your interrupt and defensive abilities.

Remember, your strength is not dealing damage but fixing it. As long as you heal it faster than he deals it you can't lose. In BH gear you should at least be able to stay alive long enough for the rest of the party to finish theirs, then each get one shot in to help you.

I consider myself a fairly good operative healer and I'm currently wearing all black hole gear. I was in a HM EV last night and I got my butt kicked by the assassin I was fighting on the fourth fight. We ended up getting through it when someone picked up my guy too, but that shouldn't have had to happen.

So: I am looking for specific tips on how to win this fight. Any and all help would be appreciated :)

On a side note, what operations will I need better gear before I attempt? It's frustrating there's no suggested gear list.

This fight is difficult on a smuggler sawbones, guess it is the same for an operative.

1. interrupt everything you can.

2. Make group wait on you for the pull, get 3 stacks tactical advantage and have full energy when you pull. I usually pull from stealth and use back blast. I have an operative, but not sure what the coming out of stealth attack in call, but use it. Before the pull tell everyone to stay away from the area up the ramp on either side. Use flash bang or any other short stun and run up the ramp. Make sure you assassin is coming, if not shot them a few times, once they are on the way hit defensive cooldown and cast orbital strike right on top of yourself. Then pop you relic, adrenal and everything you can and burn the assassin as hard as you can popping attacks that give you Tactical advantage as often as possible. Keep Stim Boost up, once you’re out of energy pop adrenaline probe. Now it is time to be more careful with energy, Top yourself off, and keep interrupting, now burn, pop defensive cooldown every time it pops and don’t be afraid to use your base attack and even diagnostic scan if energy is needed. You have time, so your first priority is not to die.

3. Go find someone having trouble and either hit them with 1 heal or hit their target with your best 1 tick attack because you have killed your assassin 3rd to 5th fastest, depending on how good your group is.

I have done this fight more times than I can count both as dps, healer and as dps shadow (playing off tank), so I have killed all of the different classes. Scoundrels have the most difficult assignment so you are most likely a very good player, it is just that fight is a pain. Assassins have lower health, but they hit pretty hard so use your interrupts and defensive cooldowns. You’re given the assassin because you can heal, the other class have more HP, but the hit like wet noodles. Once I figured out hitting out of stealth and moving them so I could use AoEs the fight became easy and fast. Hope that helps and good luck.

Your never going to kill it before a dps person kills theirs..
What? I beat dps all the time. :p Give me room to use flyby and thermal detonator and that it is going down fast. Think that says more about some of the dps I have played with and nothing about my ability. :p Edited by mikebevo

Never tried it NiM but it's a pretty easy fight on HM.

Just keep your hots up, open with hidden strike, use explosive probe when you can, corrosive dart whenever it falls off, shiv on cooldown and when you got 2 stacks of TA (keeping one for heals) carbine burst making sure you won't hit someone else's target. If you get low on energy just use adrenaline probe, and if that's down a quick diagnostic scan gets you back up.

For sorc healers it's even easier, keep bubble up as much as you can, keep your hot up, affliction when it drops off, reckelss before a fl, then shock, use fl on cd with shock and lightning strike as filler, leaving out the ls/shock when you use a gcd on bubble/hot/afflic. If your health gets lowish just innervate. Fight's short enough you never have to worry about force.

Never done it as merc heals.

On a side note wait till you do this fight in nightmare. So much hate for that one.
I actually found it easier on NiM, but that was because I learned how to do it on HM (also had better gear) I remember they had me so scared about the fight the first time I did it. Friends told me it was the hardest fight in the game and even vertern MMO players had trouble doing it on a sawbones. I think they were actually surprised when I killed it first time first try.

The fight still worries me, but I have only failed it twice. Hit kolto cloud once to close to others and for some unknown reason targeted someone else's target wtih a thermal detonator in the middile of the fight once. Still it has been close a few times where I had to use my don't die button.

Edited by mikebevo

on my sage I will take the one next to the chest and pull him up behind it and lay down my aoe there so nobody else gets into it. that and my hot rolling on me all the time and just chip away at him with my widdle rocks until he drops.

I will also throw my bubble on myself as I can.

since you can use cover i'd suggest taking cover behind the chest and just doing the same.

drop your AoE and hot on yourself and chip away at him.

I will add that the Infernal Council is good pratice if you are planning on going forward in Operations. At least the way we do HM TfB requires healers and tanks are required to kill adds while dps kills cores. At least with the Council you only have to worry about keeping yourself alive while dps'ing, Operator X requires you to dps, but still keep the entire raid alive, although you really only have to worry about the healers and the tanks at the point unless someone messes up. You do have the problems with AoEs there too though. Edited by mikebevo

/snip

Never done it as merc heals.

its not too bad on merc. I'd charge up/keep supercharged gas charged by firing at my target (since they start "friendly" in stasis) pop SCG after a few heat builders, which gives 5-6 free power shots (maybe +1 if you have alacrity stacked b/c you aren't optimized yet) and you can probably build another round of full charges from healing yourself for a finishing burst later if needed.

On the original topic: I agree that its more about outhealing the incoming damage than it is about bursting them down... I think my guild (while we still had enough playing to run ops) had more problems here in SM because the newer 50's were a bit undergeared as we didn't have the free Tionese then... just whatever they managed to snag from FPs.

I often do this on my smuggler so I might get the mirror moves wrong, but what I find works for me is to build up my TA before the fight with slow release medpacks/underworld medicine. Drop into stealth, and open from behind with a shoot first/back blast, then I usually drop orbital strike ' and chip away at his health with shiv (blaster whip?), the basic attack and by reapplying corrosive dart.

Generally the only healing I'll do for this one is reapplying our HoT, and Emergency medpack. Between the HoT, and Shiv, you shouldn't have a problem with being low on TA, so I try to keep those at 2 stacks so I don't waste one. :) I don't normally use Recuperative Nanotech on this one since I once saw an operative repeatedly whipe our group on SM by using it. Admittedly the rest of the party could have stayed in one place, but the attack isn't really required.

On a related note, I do find this one irritating since I can't stun to use back blast. Does anyone know if disappearing act will restart combat? I kind of just assumed that it would, but haven't actually tried it out myself... :rolleyes:

I On a related note, I do find this one irritating since I can't stun to use back blast. Does anyone know if disappearing act will restart combat? I kind of just assumed that it would, but haven't actually tried it out myself... :rolleyes:
do not use disappearing act... It will cause a wipe. I never done it, but the first time I did this with a infiltration shadow in the group, we wiped like 4 times because we could not kill his target because of the debuffs.

Like others have said, it's not super hard.

You just need to keep up 2 stacks of your HOT on yourself and your energy regen power. Keep corrosive dart on the target, shiv if you need TA stacks, orbital strike (just find a corner far away from everyone and be sure your neighbors aren't moving their boss around), and rifle shot. Use TA for Surgical probe for instant, energy free heals. Just chip away at him. It's a last man standing fight and trying to race through it just makes it harder.

Explosive probe is also an underappreciated skill in this fight. You're not going to be moving around, so drop into cover and use snipe/explosive probe as needed/energy allows.

Like in any boss fight, interrupt everything you can.

Use shield probe on cooldown just to slow down any health loss.

Most Importantly:

Be sure you don't have any HOTs up on anyone else at the start of the fight. Do not use any AOEs near any other boss or player (besides yourself). Do not heal anyone or effect any other person during the fight. Any of these will cause you to do pitiful damage and cause the group to fail the fight. Pick a spot and fight the boss there. Running around will screw up other people.

Edited by Infalliable

do not use disappearing act... It will cause a wipe. I never done it, but the first time I did this with a infiltration shadow in the group, we wiped like 4 times because we could not kill his target because of the debuffs.

Yeah, I kind of figured that'd be the case. Couldn't hurt to ask though. :p