Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Defensive Maneuvers not breaking missile locks?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Defensive Maneuvers not breaking missile locks?

Delta_V
12.09.2013 , 09:13 PM | #1
Last couple of matches, I've noticed that I've been getting hit by missiles while in the process of using barrel roll, retro thrusters, etc. Is this just due to lag, or what?

It's incredibly annoying hearing the lock-on sound, popping a defensive maneuver, and then getting hit anyway. Has anyone else experienced this?

Helig
12.09.2013 , 09:58 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Delta_V View Post
Last couple of matches, I've noticed that I've been getting hit by missiles while in the process of using barrel roll, retro thrusters, etc. Is this just due to lag, or what?

It's incredibly annoying hearing the lock-on sound, popping a defensive maneuver, and then getting hit anyway. Has anyone else experienced this?
Lag, probably. And/or multiple people locking on you.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Xakthul
12.09.2013 , 09:58 PM | #3
Defensive maneuvers don't break missile lock. They help you make it harder to get locked onto, but that's it.
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf

Helig
12.09.2013 , 10:02 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Xakthul View Post
Defensive maneuvers don't break missile lock. They help you make it harder to get locked onto, but that's it.
They do break missile lock. Read descriptions. You also can't get locked on while performing a defensive maneuver. The lock function just doesn't work, even if the target is square in the center of your screen.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Xakthul
12.09.2013 , 10:03 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
They do break missile lock. Read descriptions.
Maybe theoretically, but in reality, it's just helpful, not a solution.
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf

Phrase
12.09.2013 , 10:31 PM | #6
Is it possible you're getting hit by rail guns and mistaking them for missile hits?

Sixgun
Satele Shan

Helig
12.09.2013 , 10:36 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Xakthul View Post
Maybe theoretically, but in reality, it's just helpful, not a solution.
Not sure which game you're playing. Engine specials are my primary way of breaking/denying missile locks. I also use missiles a lot on Flashfire - so I think I have a fairly good idea of how it works on both ends.

Delta_V
12.09.2013 , 10:39 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Phrase View Post
Is it possible you're getting hit by rail guns and mistaking them for missile hits?
No, this was definitely missiles, I saw the missile trails as they hit me. Trust me, I've become a little too familiar with what it looks like when you get hit by a railgun .

RebekahWSD
12.09.2013 , 10:57 PM | #9
Possibly the missile was already in flight when you hit the maneuver.

Atamasama
12.09.2013 , 11:12 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
Not sure which game you're playing. Engine specials are my primary way of breaking/denying missile locks. I also use missiles a lot on Flashfire - so I think I have a fairly good idea of how it works on both ends.
Yeah, using Barrel Roll works at least 90% of the time to break a missile lock for me.
⋐‖║╿╿╿╿▀▀‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾)