Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Fixed thrust settings

Vhaegrant
12.09.2013 , 07:56 PM | #1
I've just about got to grips with the other flight controls (mouse direction and keyboard rotation and no joystick support yet, after all everyone has a keyboard and mouse) but for some reason I'm having a hard time to understand why the thrust controls have been set up the way they have.

As it currently stands your ship flys at a fixed rate of about 75% thrust. You can hold down 'W' to get that upto 100% thrust, 'S' to throttle back to 25% or just tap 'X' once to come to a halt, while the 'Spacebar' activates boost (limited by engine power). I don't understand the design implementation behind making the speed control require holding down a button all the time.

Most of the older flight/space sims I played made use of a speed setting you could choose, either across the whole range (0-100%) or discreet steps (0/25/50/75/100% or 0/33/66/100%). This required just two buttons, thrust increase and thrust decrease and you didn't have to leave your finger on it all the time.

The other speed control I have fond memories of in other games was the 'Match speed to target', handy things flight computers

Sangrar
12.09.2013 , 08:03 PM | #2
yeah but holding the button down ain't the worst thing in the world though, I mean all you have to do is hold it down, not the end of the world.
Click this REFFERAL LINK for free character transfer, free inventory slot, and one week free sub time for preferred and subscribed accounts! You can read more about it HERE

rbl_holmes
12.09.2013 , 08:09 PM | #3
I'm not fond of holding down throttle either, yea it's not the end of the world, but it certainly does not help with dexterity if holding a throttle button and having to roll into a turn and activate a couple abilities and also maybe adjust power distribution, or even a target key too... left hand gets one heck of a workout while right hand can be more fluid with mouse and it's measly two buttons.

Vhaegrant
12.09.2013 , 08:16 PM | #4
I know it's not the end of the world, but it's not the smoothest of interfaces.
If for no other reason that the 75% idle on my scout seems to be a lot faster than the 75% idle on my striker (getting a little fed up of getting into a good position but overshooting cause the throttle is more of a hindrance than a help)
It also tends to mean a finger is completely lost to throttle control, for constant pressure on the button rather than just the occasional tap.

Soul_of_Flames
12.09.2013 , 09:04 PM | #5
Really? I found it to be pretty intuitive. Perhaps it's just how my mind works, but I like the controls a lot.. they just "click" with me. I did, however, have to change the power adjustment keys, but everything else is pretty straight forward, imo.

I don't think I'd be able to play if right if the thrust speed was a toggle. I'd probably find myself either boosting too much or too little and struggling to keep the correct pace that I desire. I like having to hold down the button because I get a better sense of control over my ship that way.