Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My only real GSF gripe: ship requisition and its affect on teamplay

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
My only real GSF gripe: ship requisition and its affect on teamplay

Rigsta
12.07.2013 , 02:43 PM | #1
I don't like the fact that ship requisition is limited to the ship you use in a match.

Example: I want to upgrade my ion railgun. This means I have to fly the Gunship, even when it really isn't what my team needs. When we already have 4 gunships, I really should be flying a scout to make up for our poor mobility.

In other words, ship requisition being linked to the ship can force players into choosing between what's best for their team and what's necessary for them to upgrade their ship of choice.

I much prefer Planetside 2's approach to exp and unlocks/upgrades - the cert points you earn are a common pool belonging to your character rather than individual classes & vehicles, so if I want to upgrade my tank but my team needs a medic, I can do that.

Icebergy
12.07.2013 , 03:14 PM | #2
Its the exact same thing as playing a character you want to upgrade instead of being able to play your alt and upgrade your main.

Sure you can legacy (fleet req) over gear, but not sure why you think your way is a good idea.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

Rigsta
12.07.2013 , 03:26 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
Its the exact same thing as playing a character you want to upgrade instead of being able to play your alt and upgrade your main.

Sure you can legacy (fleet req) over gear, but not sure why you think your way is a good idea.
Why isn't it a good idea? What disadvantages does it have other than being different? What are the advantages of the current model? How does the analogy of a character make sense when applied to vehicles?

TastyGyros
12.07.2013 , 03:28 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Rigsta View Post
I don't like the fact that ship requisition is limited to the ship you use in a match.

Example: I want to upgrade my ion railgun. This means I have to fly the Gunship, even when it really isn't what my team needs. When we already have 4 gunships, I really should be flying a scout to make up for our poor mobility.

In other words, ship requisition being linked to the ship can force players into choosing between what's best for their team and what's necessary for them to upgrade their ship of choice.

I much prefer Planetside 2's approach to exp and unlocks/upgrades - the cert points you earn are a common pool belonging to your character rather than individual classes & vehicles, so if I want to upgrade my tank but my team needs a medic, I can do that.
You can convert individual ship's "SHIP REQUISITION" points into shared "FLEET REQUISITION" points and use those shared FQ points in conjunction with the desired ship's SR towards purchasing upgrades. Assuming you're a subscriber, you should have plenty of Cartel coins for the conversion costs.

Icebergy
12.07.2013 , 03:31 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Rigsta View Post
How does the analogy of a character make sense when applied to vehicles?
Because its the exact same thing? Your hangar is like your account and each ship is like a character.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

Dragoon-
12.07.2013 , 04:04 PM | #6
I just finished my 50 GS match. All flown in a Scout craft, and yet I have over 4700 requisition on my Striker and Gunship despite I never flew them. I noticed that when I brought up the convert ship requisition to fleet requisition dialog. I must have gotten them from the introduction, daily and weekly missions.
Elara Dorne: I'll be ready with any number of regulation-approved punishments when the opportunity arises.
"Everyone fights, Private Ganbar. Either you go in shooting or we freeze you in carbonite and use you as a shield.."

zechio
12.07.2013 , 04:07 PM | #7
I think it makes sense just fine: If you play a scout, you should upgrade one. If you spend most all of your time on a gunship, put all of your points to upgrading, and having experience using it...do you really think switching to a scout is going to be a game changer?

Also, fleet requisition is shared, and using cartel coins you can convert ship req to fleet req if you really want to.

As mentioned though, people are just going to play what they want to. Good pilots will learn to adapt to any situation asneeded. Its like queing up to a warzone and finding all sorcs in it. You think about the sorcs strengths and weaknesses, and adjust to them.

Example: I got owned the other day by a group that was constantly running 4+ gunships. They positioned across from eachother and would snipe me if I tried to attack any of them. They would then have 1 strike fighter on the point to prevent any speed caps. This left the other 7 people to defend the second point. Our team failed to adapt, and we lost badly. A lot of any type is far from an instant loss.
Dark Lord Zemerick, Leader of Imperium Inferi, and destroyer of hope.

Remember the cookie!

Suzina
12.07.2013 , 04:32 PM | #8
To be fair, the daily does reward ship req for every ship in your legacy, so that's 750 per day at least. But yeah, generally you have to fly that ship to get the req. My advice is to go play the ship you want anyway, that's probably what the other 4 gunship pilots are doing right now.
Member of Bane Fleet

Rigsta
12.07.2013 , 05:02 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by zechio View Post
I think it makes sense just fine: If you play a scout, you should upgrade one. If you spend most all of your time on a gunship, put all of your points to upgrading, and having experience using it...do you really think switching to a scout is going to be a game changer?
It was just an example to illustrate my point. And yes, considering the poor close-range ability and overall speed of gunships, bringing a scout or strike fighter to a gunship-heavy could be exactly what the team needs for capping & keeping control points. It depends on the team, and what ships & tactics the enemy is bringing.

Good response, I only quoted the bit I had something to say about

Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
Because its the exact same thing? Your hangar is like your account and each ship is like a character.
They share a single property: The hangar acts as a container for ships, and an account acts as a container for characters. That is where the similarity ends. I get where you are coming from but I disagree with the idea that requisition should be locked to individual ships just because that's how it works with characters.

My reason is that they are different things. For a start, ship progression is unique to each character eg. unlocks for one character's strike fighter will be absent if you log in using a different character. The ships are tools available to a character.

A more relevant and important difference is that you can change ships during a match. That speaks of a conscious design decision to allow players to choose a ship that fits the situation, and choose a different one as the situation and the needs of the team evolve. This is also the case with notable competitive FPS games (Planetside 2, Battlefield series, Tribes: Ascend etc).

However, the requisition model discourages this behaviour by forcing the player to stick with the ship they want to upgrade. I find this contradictory - to progress, one has to keep using the same ship even if it's totally inappropriate for the situation.

After experiencing Planetside 2's flexible approach to exp gain and unlocks, every other way just seems bad.

If you disagree with me, I'd love to hear how my suggestion would be bad for the game in terms of, for example, balance or fun.

------------------------------------------------

@TastyGyros: I know There are a million other things to be unlocked with coins though, most notably the 2 cartel-only ships for 3 months' worth of coins each. I know it's an option but it's not an attractive one - for me at least.

@Dragoon: Yup me too They didn't last long!

I'm currently saving fleet req for the 2 unlockable ships.

Jordansc
12.09.2013 , 06:42 PM | #10
You're thinking of req as credits to buy new weapons or gear for your ship. Instead think of req as experience and upgrades as skills you have to level up. From that point of view it makes total sense to only earn what you fly on.

I get what you're saying, but I disagree. I like that you have to fly a certain style of ship in order to upgrade it. The weekly and daily missions earn you enough req on ships you don't fly often.

There isn't much downside to your way of thinking right now. But by changing it to your way, in a month you'll have players with fully upgraded ships that have never been flown. How fair would it be at launch for new players to step in to a match against fully upgraded ships at every aspect?