Defensive Maneuvers not breaking missile locks?

Delta_V

Last couple of matches, I've noticed that I've been getting hit by missiles while in the process of using barrel roll, retro thrusters, etc. Is this just due to lag, or what?

It's incredibly annoying hearing the lock-on sound, popping a defensive maneuver, and then getting hit anyway. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last couple of matches, I've noticed that I've been getting hit by missiles while in the process of using barrel roll, retro thrusters, etc. Is this just due to lag, or what?

It's incredibly annoying hearing the lock-on sound, popping a defensive maneuver, and then getting hit anyway. Has anyone else experienced this?

Lag, probably. And/or multiple people locking on you.

Defensive maneuvers don't break missile lock. They help you make it harder to get locked onto, but that's it.

They do break missile lock. Read descriptions. You also can't get locked on while performing a defensive maneuver. The lock function just doesn't work, even if the target is square in the center of your screen.

Edited by Helig

Maybe theoretically, but in reality, it's just helpful, not a solution.

Not sure which game you're playing. Engine specials are my primary way of breaking/denying missile locks. I also use missiles a lot on Flashfire - so I think I have a fairly good idea of how it works on both ends.

Is it possible you're getting hit by rail guns and mistaking them for missile hits?

No, this was definitely missiles, I saw the missile trails as they hit me. Trust me, I've become a little too familiar with what it looks like when you get hit by a railgun :p.

Not sure which game you're playing. Engine specials are my primary way of breaking/denying missile locks. I also use missiles a lot on Flashfire - so I think I have a fairly good idea of how it works on both ends.

Yeah, using Barrel Roll works at least 90% of the time to break a missile lock for me.

Could it be a gunship hitting you? Just remember a defensive maneuver will never break an instant hit from a gunship at 15k range and depending on upgrades those buggers hit through your shielding. Missiles also have travel time which actually cost a lot to upgrade to improve their travel speed while gunships are instant travel from the start.

Defensive maneuvers don't break missile lock. They help you make it harder to get locked onto, but that's it.

They won't break locks unless you move out of range... but most of the defensive maneuvers WILL shake a missle off your tail. So if they release a missile immediately after you hit your evasion, the missile will hit. If you hit it just after they launch, the missile shouldn't connect.

"This maneuver has the added benefit of evading any missiles that might be locked on."

That's the Koligarn turn description.

Barrel roll is a bit more confusing. It says 'added benefit of shaking enemy missile locks'. It's a little fuzzy whether it just means you get far enough away to break off from an enemy lock, or referring to the missile itself. Given all of the missiles that have failed to connect after going into a barrel roll, however, I can say it is probably referring to the missile itself.

Edited by Luneward

My problem: I use gunships almost exclusively. Because of the reduced turn and heavier weight, Kroigan doesn't work too well. I'm usually the one who pops turrets and other railers before they kill the scouts. So, I also spend a lot of time trying to evade missiles, which are near impossible to avoid with Barrel Roll once they're launched. I'm gonna get Interdiction Drive or the power converter drive ASAP, but right now, I'm getting popped by missiles a lot. :(

My problem: I use gunships almost exclusively. Because of the reduced turn and heavier weight, Kroigan doesn't work too well. I'm usually the one who pops turrets and other railers before they kill the scouts. So, I also spend a lot of time trying to evade missiles, which are near impossible to avoid with Barrel Roll once they're launched. I'm gonna get Interdiction Drive or the power converter drive ASAP, but right now, I'm getting popped by missiles a lot. :(

I think you're approaching the problem from the wrong angle. Are you just floating there, shooting stuff? If yes, no drive, converter or shield is going to save you from missiles.

Change position each few shots, always have cover nearby, learn to use Barrel Roll to hop into this cover without crashing, use larger surfaces to your advantage. And I suggest getting the cost and cooldown upgrades for the barrel roll engine ASAP - 10-sec cheap barrel roll is a lifesaver.

It's also very useful to quickly switch power to engines once you're forced into evading.

Edited by Helig

I'm not camping, if that's what you mean. I only sit in one place long enough to get a couple of rail shots off at my target. I use almost everything as cover, but it still doesn't seem to work against missiles. Rail shots aimed at me are a different story, but the missiles are annoying.

I'm not camping, if that's what you mean. I only sit in one place long enough to get a couple of rail shots off at my target. I use almost everything as cover, but it still doesn't seem to work against missiles. Rail shots aimed at me are a different story, but the missiles are annoying.

I've found it largely depends on the distance the missile has to travel. It seems that when an ability starts there's a half second window of opportunity for the missile to still connect so if they were shot at point blank range they'll likely hit anyway. If on the other hand they were fired at range and you hit the ability as soon as you get a sold tone (missile inbound) the missiles likely won't be able to cover the distance to hit you within that window of opportunity.

Note that this is coming from a striker pilot who, when going against a GS, saves the missile lock until I'm point blank and have started ripping away the shields. I also do this when playing chicken to help get those missiles in before that window of opportunity closes.

Edited by Gavin_Kelvar

Trust me, I've become a little too familiar with what it looks like when you get hit by a railgun :p.

/hides

Or as we Gunship pilots like to say: "Engages Dampening Sensors, waves at Treek and Barrel Roll to safety." :)

On a serious note. I think i experienced this aswell. What i think happens is, you use your Defensive Maneuver after the missile is already launched at you.

Im almost sure that Sabotage Probes always get me, even if i use an Maneuver just half a secon after its launched. I do charge forward but end up unable to do much at the end of my Barrel Roll. I cant really say for other missiles.

EDIT: this is obviously only a subjective observation, usually i dont even notice a missile hit, when my shields are at full strenght, but i do notice that little bugger disabeling my ship :)

Edited by Tallwyn

They won't break locks unless you move out of range...

Nope. I am using retro thrusters for my engine component, so activating it actually closes the distance to the missile, and it still misses (i can see the missile trail in front of me as it shoots past me).

What is most likely happening here is that the missile still hits you when you activate the defensive maneuver too late. Cluster missiles especially are fired from a very close range, and if you wait till they are actually in flight before activating defense, its easy to be just a split second too late with the finger.