Out-leveling your crew skills

Lodril

So I've discovered I don't enjoy crafting. I find it tedious, and don't want to do it. Actually, the gathering skills aren't super fun either, but I'll stand around and wait for them to finish scanning if I happen across something that can be gathered, and I'll just ditch the resource later whenever I next come across a vendor.

Unfortunately, I have apparently not been active enough in that, since now I'm finding that more and more things are too high level to be scavenged or sliced. I've been thinking of ditching my one crafting skill, but here's my dilemma... the gathering skills only seem to go up when I come across something in the field, and as I level up, fewer and fewer things are within the range of my skills. Missions have never raised those skills, and so I gave up spending money on them. So how do I catch up with the stuff at my level, and if I ditched crafting and started a new gathering skill, how would I raise it, when everything would require a much higher level?

Do I have to just go to the starting worlds and run around snagging resources from lower level characters? If that's the only solution, I guess I'm just done with crew skills entirely.

Edited by Lodril

Missions do raise those skills. Make your slaves work for you.

Really? I never received a notice like the one that pops up with gathering... do they go up every time? Is there any indication they go up, or do you just have to keep watching the numbers in the crew window?

Because you end up with a bunch of companions who do the work for you. I think it's a HUGE upgrade of the MMO crafting system.

Maybe - I haven't really played a lot of MMOs, and those I did sample never had appealing crafting systems either. I just don't enjoy it, and I don't pay money for things I find tedious. Similarly, I won't be spending much time trying to get datacrons, because I don't enjoy platforming games (and if I did, there are several superior flat-fee options available). The game has different aspects to appeal to a variety of players, and neither of those do it for me.