Timed weekly needs to be renamed to GSF weekly

Benirons

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all,

I double checked with the team and it is not a bug, it was just that the 1 in 4 chance pulled GSF 3 weeks in a row (not the best if you aren't a GSF fan). We did verify though that next week is not GSF.

Thanks all!

-eric

Maybe you just artificially making it to be gsf to force people to play gsf. That why players doesn't support your rng policy because we really can't know if it is really rng or just you adjusting it as you want. Same with CM crates, same with lootboxes, same with weekly quests etc. You just chiise whatever you want us to play, get, win etc. Thats a fail policy as you may see

Maybe you just artificially making it to be gsf to force people to play gsf. That why players doesn't support your rng policy because we really can't know if it is really rng or just you adjusting it as you want. Same with CM crates, same with lootboxes, same with weekly quests etc. You just chiise whatever you want us to play, get, win etc. Thats a fail policy as you may see

What I find very interesting is all the games I played/play (only been playing online games for about 9 years, and the first 3-4 of those was CoD before my finger got snapped in half and SWTOR was the only game I could play, which I started literally 3 weeks before the injury.), is that whenever there is random/RNG/gambling aspect in whatever game, be it gameplay, rewards or "loot" boxes, people get upset. Always. Yet, when there are choices and options, people are greatly happy. And yet......SO MANY game companies continue to do the opposite. Add more gambling, take away choices, and what happens? People loss interest and leave. And this isn't just SWTOR, but many other games as well.

Also, speaking of gambling. Eric? Can you ask the devs to look at the "Alliance Crates" system an do what I suggested before 4.0 came out? Have it be currency based system instead of random gambling for the pieces? It is very annoying when I have opened well over 300+ of the smuggler boxes and only got ONE underworld chest piece (its one of the best ingame) and yet I know a few players who have got about 15 of them. Each. If it is a currency based system, it would make ALOT of people happy :D, because then we can buy the cosmetic armor pieces we want, instead of selling the 278th copy of the bounty hunter underworld bracers. :rolleyes:

I'm probably not adding much new to the conversation, but, something people either didn't know, or don't remember, is that since the announcement of these "timed" weekly missions they were always supposed to be RNG.

It was stated by the devs/Eric before they were implemented.

Several people voiced their concerns. I may have even been one of them. The RNG system is a HORRIBLE choice when there are only 4 options.

Also, since a couple people mentioned it...CONQUEST is NOT on a set schedule anymore.

It used to be several years ago, but with the new conquest system came "partial" RNG goodness!

The EVENT conquest invasions are scheduled. Rakghoul / Gree / etc. The "filler" conquest weeks are currently RNG.

So let's get this straight ...

1. Causing property damage

2. Attempting (and failing) to commit a crime

3. Blacking out

4. Waking up mostly naked with a black eye and being robbed yourself

It kinda sounds like a big fail all around for you.

Honestly though the party story part ended when you got yourself kicked out. Anything after that and you're no longer at a party, so really the last time you were at a party all you did was break a table and get kicked out. I mean, I'd have to say if I were the host of the party where you broke my table, that no you were not fun at a party. :p

And then the host of the party would have came to my law firm and talk to an attorney who would then proceed to sue her/him for the broken table and any other property damage that she/he may have caused as well.

You may have been thinking of the geometric distribution, which is close to what you have--you'd have to multiply what you had by X again. That is probably what would make this theory work. It has to do with counting the number of failures until the first success (or vice versa).

Furthermore, according to a certain statistical rule of thumb (won't bore you with details), where np>= 10, and n(1-p) >= 10, with such a low probability, you'd need a very large value of n before you start to see results that converge to the expected value. In particular, we'd be talking about 642 3-week periods, or roughly 5.3 years. (!!!!)

So this means that, in the short term, we might see some surprising and unlikely results. As I mentioned previously, as time goes on, we would expect to see these unlikely events occur less and less frequently in a "perfectly random world."

Yes on geometric distribution. That's what I was thinking of. :D

And I think you're referring to the law of large numbers (probability theory)?

This is seriously bull. 3 weeks in a row now. I put up with this for 2 weeks and i really had my hopes up for getting what i thought would be SM ops for the weekly (or anything else for the matter, i dont care).

The pattern seems to be 2 weeks straight u get the same timed weekly. Since my recent return to the game a 3 week streak is unprecedented and very unwelcome.

Im seriously being pressed into queuing GSF while watching/doing whatever and just doing nothing cross my fingers for 3 wins eventually.

Is this what u guys want? This is not exactly conducive to a healthy gameplay environment.

Worse than any of that is that wins STILL DO NOT COUNT to the required win total :mad: I wasted so much time last week before I realised the quest has NOT been fixed.

Edited by Sarova

Worse than any of that is that wins STILL DO NOT COUNT to the required win total :mad: I wasted so much time last week before I realised the quest has NOT been fixed.

Umm, I just finished it last night, and finished it on two toons last week.

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Let me add a little more clarity on how the system works exactly. There are a number of systems in our game that are inherently tied together even if they may not seem to be. This is one of those cases.

The Weekly Masterwork Mission is directly tied to whatever Conquest is running on any given week. The reason that this makes the Weekly Mission random is that our Conquest schedule is also random. It is worth noting that the exception to this rule is that we manually override the random schedule when events run. An example of this would be that next week (and the week after) we know that the Dantooine Conquest will be running. The Weekly Mission that runs alongside that Conquest is not GSF, which is how I was able to answer the question of what is coming next week.

I hope that adds some clarity to what is happening with the Weekly Missions. Thanks all.

-eric

Hey all,

I double checked with the team and it is not a bug, it was just that the 1 in 4 chance pulled GSF 3 weeks in a row (not the best if you aren't a GSF fan). We did verify though that next week is not GSF.

Thanks all!

-eric

Any system that tries to get people to play parts of the game that they don't enjoy is simply wrong in my opinion. Just make it so that instead of randomly selecting things that people don't enjoy, you give us a choice of things that we do enjoy to get the reward.

In other words give us a choice each week to do either the GSF, operations, flashpoints, or PvP mission, and stop trying to manipulate us into playing content that we just don't want to.

Any system that tries to get people to play parts of the game that they don't enjoy is simply wrong in my opinion. Just make it so that instead of randomly selecting things that people don't enjoy, you give us a choice of things that we do enjoy to get the reward.

In other words give us a choice each week to do either the GSF, operations, flashpoints, or PvP mission, and stop trying to manipulate us into playing content that we just don't want to.

Players actually have all the decision-making ability. Decide to play whats offered or dont. The whole game is a balance of time vs reward. Some people feel the reward of 1 MWS is worth playing GSF, others dont. To pretend you know what the majority of players want is ridiculous. You obviously dont feel the need to acquire an MWS to be worth the time spent to acquire it through GSF, just as i dont feel its worth my time to do heroic missions for credits. Hence, i dont do heroics. My choice. Your choice. Nobody is wrong here, and certainly not BW.

The Weekly Masterwork Mission is directly tied to whatever Conquest is running on any given week. The reason that this makes the Weekly Mission random is that our Conquest schedule is also random.

-eric

So, you decided, as a development team, when 5.10 came out, that a specific certain timed rotating weekly would occur alongside a specific certain conquest? So, the game picks out Conquest A out of the proverbial hat, and Conquest A is always paired with, say, the unranked warzone rotating timed weekly?

Have there been choices made regarding the rotating timed weekly with event conquests, such as Gree/Bounty/Rakghoul? So, only GSF occurs during the Gree event? Or, does the rotating timed weekly that would have occurred with the randomly chosen conquest week still occur, but the random conquest event is overridden when its an event week? So, for example, suppose last week would have been "Flashpoint Havoc" but you overrode it to be Gree. Is the rotating timed weekly also overridden or does it continue through regardless of the conquest?

All I know is that this is the worst gearing system ever. I came back at the end of January and still do not have a full gear set on my main due to being a busy adult who can only play a game so many hours of the week, let alone the day. Now I am forced to participate in content I have no interest in and farm the only new group content till I am sick of it, rather than play on my own terms.

As a raider there is lil to no reward unless you are farming the timed weeklies, 24-man world boss which can lag some people (and most groups pugging it, you are lucky if half the group know the mechanics), running queen over and over and eating up more unassembleds than I can farm because life takes priority. I have a love/hate relationship with this game, and once again they are pushing me more to hate it. I am tired of the busy work they have been giving us for what feels like years now. TOO MUCH OF A GRIND FOR GEAR DOES NOT A HAPPY PLAYER MAKE! :(

Hey all,

Thanks all!

-eric

seriously? even the weekly is RNG? sigh

You know, that sounds so radical.

A retailer actually selling what the customer wants?

Who would be crazy enough to think of that?

All The Best

This is not news. They have stated, in the past, that its random.

I find it an incredibly joyful and fulfilling experience to open RNG gear crates while accepting an RNG weekly mission at the Ossus terminal. There's simply no greater joy to be had in SWTOR. You know what would make this experience even better? If the devs moved the Nar Shadaa Nightlife event to Ossus. Ahhhhh RNG heaven! BWA, "Shut up and take my money."

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Hey folks,

Let me add a little more clarity on how the system works exactly. There are a number of systems in our game that are inherently tied together even if they may not seem to be. This is one of those cases.

The Weekly Masterwork Mission is directly tied to whatever Conquest is running on any given week. The reason that this makes the Weekly Mission random is that our Conquest schedule is also random. It is worth noting that the exception to this rule is that we manually override the random schedule when events run. An example of this would be that next week (and the week after) we know that the Dantooine Conquest will be running. The Weekly Mission that runs alongside that Conquest is not GSF, which is how I was able to answer the question of what is coming next week.

I hope that adds some clarity to what is happening with the Weekly Missions. Thanks all.

-eric

That actually does add a certain level of clarity, yes.

I don't understand the rationale behind linking the two events (conquest & the timed weekly) which on the surface have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

But, if a list can be compiled (or given to us from you) of which timed weekly is going to appear with which conquest week, then we can at least plan ahead a little bit.

JUST . LET . US . CHOOSE!

God forbid you make your players happy!

No no no. We can't have you getting crystals quicker and stop grinding. Then you'll go back to doing what you enjoy and cancel your sub.

Their logic, not mine. :cool: