TOR: continuing to fall short

Rhyn

Let me start this by saying I very much like SWTOR. IMO it has the best leveling system of any MMO I have played and that is because of the class stories and cut scenes. I like the basic mechanics of the game but we all know there are major issues with this game and the biggest issue of all is management IMO

Early on in this game we have seen mismanagement as an issue with TOR. We have seen legacy be the major priority when we had some big class balance issues, Illum issues, PvP issues, and lack of content issues. We have seen major parts of this game ignored for things like the GSF which turned out to not to be a major aspect of the game. If you look at MMO’s that have had ground and air/space sims in the same game the air/space has never been a big part for the majority of the community, and the single biggest thing that could be done to help this game thrive has be shot down by management over and over. I speak of cross server.

Cross server for rated arenas, warzones, instances, and SM raids would be huge and it would help facilitate future content of all aspects. I understand X-server can hurt aspects of community but you have to have a community to hurt and right now no server has a strong enough community for all aspects of the game and that drives people to other games which hurt overall growth and the bottom line. Sometimes you need to invest to grow you product and its market and that has not been done with this game since it has launched. Instead all that has been done is denying there is an issue and burying your head in the sand. An example is resolve.

The mechanic for resolve isn’t bad. However, the fact that your resolve bar drains in the cloner, that we have overlapping stuns, that roots and snares do not respect resolve immunity, that some class have 2 min CC break while other have 1:30 CC break or 2 breaks, and the WZ designs that allow/encourage 3 v 1 or 4 v1 to me is the issue. We heard “ya resolve isn’t working like we want it too” months and months ago but nothing since no change no discussion just deaf ears.

The slow pace that instances are rolled out and most seem to have no impact on or place in a Star Wars game. I mean why is Repub not hitting the sith academy, the sith hitting the temple on tython, storming a star destroyer, searching for control of ancient datacrons in old dilapidated temples. I mean come on if you’re a star wars fan you can think of so much better than what we have received. In a time of war I feel like there is no war going on. Illum it was a failure and promised to be fix and guess what didn’t happen. Why can't we make Illum an outdoor battleground?

Unlike traditional Battlegrounds, Illum an active ‘outdoor’ (non-instanced) and zone reachable.Traversing the hazards of Illum’s unforgiving landscape is merely the first challenge; maintaining control of the prison and bases will require your faction’s vigilance! Every two and a half hours, a new battle is waged to test the dominance of the controlling force. To retain dominion of Illum, defenders must prevent the enemy from capturing the three bases during the time limit (fifteen minutes).Whichever faction controls Illum at the battle’s end gains access to a hub of quests in the center of the zone and entry to the planets catacobms.

If this sounds familiar it should. It is the concept of Tol Barad nothing new but something that will give us a sense of war and a sense OW PvP we have been missing.

This game has so much potential but begs the same question gamers have had for large scale gaming companies for years. Why won’t you give the players what they are looking for? Your forced ideas have fallen short for a very long time. Now it is indie companies we are looking to like the re-population for the truly next gen game because large gaming companies who are looking for the next wow refuse to listen and just end up losing money to the old pro.

This is my opinion but i truly feel something has got to give and soon.

This game has so much potential but begs the same question gamers have had for large scale gaming companies for years. Why won’t you give the players what they are looking for?

How about this for a possible answer:

"Because every player is looking for something different, and some people want what other people would hate."

Go tour an adult boutique some time if you want a graphic example of that. <shudder>

I wish OP. Ilum was a flipbook and if OWPVP events on POT5 were any indication ( <3 XX Cilas YY <3) a good one can crash the server. Seems the best they can do, or are willing to invest in to achieve, is Gree event scale. Edited by Joesixxpack

Wall of text snip

This game has so much potential but begs the same question gamers have had for large scale gaming companies for years. Why won’t you give the players what they are looking for? Your forced ideas have fallen short for a very long time. Now it is indie companies we are looking to like the re-population for the truly next gen game because large gaming companies who are looking for the next wow refuse to listen and just end up losing money to the old pro.

This is my opinion but i truly feel something has got to give and soon.

Because gamers can't make up their minds what they want? So, just going off these forums, what are you going to develop now that we have hypothetically given you control, and you know, according to your wall of text, that you have all the answers? Are you going to cater to the PvP crowd? Just how many "hardcore" PvPers are you talking about? A few hundred? A few thousand? Do all of them have subs? Are you going to lose your Casual player base, which may have more subs? What about your hardcore raiders? Who are you going to build for first?

None of this takes all the people that fall squarely in the middle of all of these into consideration. What are you going to do for them while you're busy catering to one or another group? This is the dilemma that every game developer gets into when building an MMO. Aion fell short too, due to PvP, strangely enough, even though it was advertised as a PvPvE game. So it's not like even "hardcore" PvPers can decide what's most important to do first. Do share your insights with us though. Tell us how you're going to change development so that you keep all your players happy all the time, because if you write the book, you'll get rich, because every game developer out there, not just MMOs either, will be buying it, because so far, I can't think of any games that gave every player everything they wanted, short of arcade games, anyway.

OP must not have noticed the Attack on Tython and Korriban flashpoints...

Seriously, people, how often do we hear the same thing spouted by people who have absolutely no idea what average non-forumgoing players want? Oh, that's right, every day. Give it up, OP, you're not the majority and never will be. You want to see the majority? The ones whose grubby little pockets every gaming company wants in on? They're the ones playing on consoles, playing Battlefield 4, Call of Duty 27, Halo 4, Assassins Creed 4, GTA5, .... need I go on? That's the crowd they have to design to, NOT you, if they want to stay in business. Put on your big boy pants and deal with it. Does it stink? Well yes. Is there any way to solve the problem? Absolutely not. The same people that vote in our politicians and watch reality TV are the ones games must be designed for. Don't waste your time and enjoy the game as it is.... and be glad it's as good as it is.

How about this for a possible answer:

"Because every player is looking for something different, and some people want what other people would hate."

Go tour an adult boutique some time if you want a graphic example of that. <shudder>

^This is really true. From a management perspective the developers must feel like it's impossible to make us happy. We complained that the original space minigame was inadequate...so they tried to offer a more sophisticated dynamic space game (GSF) and we started complaining that they're wasting resources on it. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. I would hate to be a game developer.

I thought that was a pretty fair assessment, OP.

To be perfectly honest, other than Asheron's Call (my first), this is by far the funnest mmo I've played. I've had a blast in this game, particularly because I play mostly solo. The problem, however, is the same that it's always been. This is, by far, the worst game I've ever played in terms of developer management. It is an abject failure in that regard. It's a damned joke, really.

I'll be around until shortly after housing, just because I'm curious. Really, I'm here because I don't particularly like any of the recent mmos that released. I'm praying to the gamer gods that Archeage will save me. Time will tell.

Also, if you've been through every server merge, you probably have the same feeling I do right now. The more it starts coming up, the more serious you have to take it. I don't mean that in the sense that I think it's going to happen. I mean more along the lines of the population dying again, across servers. I've seen lots of people brush worries aside recently, but if you think server populations are fine, you're lying to yourself.

I think it was pre TBC, the second expansion of wow, Blizzard came out and said they would not do more classquests. They aqknowledged that people loved classquests but they told their users no. We have this direction of our game and we feel resourses are best spend somewhere else.

Unlike SWTOR, it seems like this game has no direction. Every other suggestion gets on "the wall of crazy" and even when shooting down the idea of more class quests it's done in a way that may give hope that maybe some time in the future perhaps we will get more class quest.

I dont mind no more class quest, i dont mind if the spacegame had been abandoned, or even if pvp or pve got abandoned. Just give a direction. Dont try to do everything at once. SWTOR can never be everything for everybody. Dont try to be. Make an executive descision and decide where you want to fokus your resourses and lets us know.

I'm torn. I want to like SWTOR but i have a hard time seeing where it's going. The last FP's we got were tacticals only. GSF has nothing to do with the groundbased game and tbh doesn't feel very MMO'ish. Now were getting strongholds, Two big expansions in a row without adding to the basic game.

I might like Strongholds, if it's done right. I'd love more minigames and sitting in chairs in cantinas and all that. But dont stop building on the basic game to add fluff.

The TOR ship fell completely short when it announced f2p. The cash shop was the nail in the coffin.

In that case, looks like just about every MMO will be dying soon?

The fact that just about every MMO has a "cash shop" these days is making your constant blaming everything on it and predictions of doom because of look more and more ridiculous.

The TOR ship fell completely short when it announced f2p. The cash shop was the nail in the coffin.

f2p is just one of the most anti-consumer systems out there all it's around for is to milk people out of their money. thankfully its dying off.

f2p is just one of the most anti-consumer systems out there all it's around for is to milk people out of their money. thankfully its dying off.

ummm are you joking more and more I see f2p becoming more common

Edited by Sangrar

Don't forget its p2w system. EAware said we'd never see p2w and they lied to us. Now they're suffering the consequences while MMOs like Wildstar take the gaming community by storm.

Don't forget its p2w system. EAware said we'd never see p2w and they lied to us. Now they're suffering the consequences while MMOs like Wildstar take the gaming community by storm.

It's not remotely p2w unless your idea of winning is looking relatively cool... but remember the gtn is your friend for that, so...

I agree in part....management early one was pretty poor IMO, I think they are doing a much better job now however. Also, cross server ques, if possible, would definitely boost this games appeal in my eyes.

However, I do not believe that some of the items you mentioned did not help the game. Yes, even I was disappointed with GSF, so much so I left the game completely for a good chunk of time. It was actually the prospect of GS (housing) that brought me back.

For me personally I see legacy and CM content as very healthy content....but agree that cross server ques would likely be a goldmine for the game.

Failure to reach potential is a good way to look at SWTOR.

It has some interesting features, is set within an IP many people, including myself adore, and on the whole isn't a bad game.

It also is missing features players expect in 2014, releases little in the way of new content beyond fluff, is burdened by a technical base that seems to be highly problematic, and on the whole isn't a great game.

If I had to draw an analogy, it would be that SWTOR is like Episode 1, it is Star Wars, but it has quite a few flaws and never seems to reach its potential.

Edited by DawnAskham

Game looks pretty good considering it's dead. You guys really need to give up on that particular falsehood, it damages your credibility.

Game looks pretty good considering it's dead. You guys really need to give up on that particular falsehood, it damages your credibility.

Yep yep.

And for the "OMG it's bleeding out in the player base!" ummm.. no.. it's not....though the PvP servers are on a slow persistent decline. http://www.torstatus.net/shards/eu/trends It's actually been a stable player activity level for the last year. Sure, it has it's post patch spikes and corresponding lulls.... but the one being.... game has a stable player base. The PvP servers are not as healthy...so that lends to the PvE servers seeing modest growth, offsetting the continued PvP decline, and honestly that is what I would expect to see in an MMO that is essentially a PvE game with some PvP.

Edited by Andryah

I agree. Indeed, it's laughable to see people tell us the game is dead on the forums. You cannot post on the forums unless you sub. They do, therefore they still sub, so to declare the game dead is a contradiction in terms. If THESE people say the game is dead, what does that say about subs who don't post such condemnation, or better, those who don't bother to post on forums.

One of our collective problems is that we are not privy to sub or revenue numbers. We simply do not know, so people, particularly the naysayers, will guess. They believe they have some sort of inside scoop because they read a gaming rag's editorial or peruse a proxy statement as if they understand what is being said. It's like reading tea leaves. These people have no more knowledge of what is going on than anyone else, yet they are convinced they have some sort of secret insider pulse on the state of the game.

And if you dare to point out the paucity of their knowledge, it's all, "You're a fanboi!" because you don't agree with their negativism and point out that they really don't know anything worthwhile. I wish we really DID have stats that were meaningful, but that wish does not compel me to make stuff up, which is a lot of what we see here.

Edited by MSchuyler

Well, in all fairness there was a point where subscriptions were dropping at a substantial rate, based on public postings of those numbers by EA as well as Bioware comments, and there were still plenty of folks that denied it was happening.

So there has been a bit of hyperbole on both sides of the fence in that respect.

I personally feel the game is in a pretty healthy state ATM, but could be healthier. I think the player base has stabilized for the most part, but could be climbing much faster....just my singular view. I think it has lost some regular players and subs since the 2 mil f2p/south of 500k sub release, scuttlebut now is 10 million registered players, 1 mil regular, 350k sub.

I think the game is far from dead....but to be fair it was on it's way to a fairly dramatic crash before the original dev team left the company. Since then the new dev team has turned things around IMO.

...though they do still make mistakes from time to time.

Edited by LordArtemis

Call me simple, naive, lame, I suck, whatever. But I like the game. I don't understand much of it but I'm learning. I'm bumbed at the cartel pack ratio and how I can fork over tons of cash without getting even 1 of the advertised "potential" products. I'm not talking about 1 or 2 packs. I'm talking about many many 24x packs. Sure get a lot of crafting items . Big items, very rare...I guess the things I want are "super rare"

That animosity aside, I like the game and the stories. Lag sucks but that can happen for various reasons I'm told.

I notice many ******* players in chat and many of the good players I really could learn from are on planets I am no where near ready for.

I got to thinking about what many of you have been saying. If I was a developer for swtor, what would I do? You can't make everybody happy but you can make the silent majortity fulfilled. Maybe they are?

I love this game. And I'm sure by the time I've done all the classes and stories, they will have more content, (maybe even classes) . Maybe not. I just want a damn Rancor mount! Hahahaha