Hot Prospect Name Concerns

EricMusco

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to believe that people would play more or less on a server bc of the name lol.

And while I also find it hard to believe that anyone would be offended by the phrase 'hot prospect', it does not surprise me that someone SAID it offended them..

thats the problem today.. no one is actually offended - they just like pointing out how one might be offended. Its like they think they get points for identifying what is potentially offensive

Truth

Its been changed for those people in that area. You can argue back and forth all day long or until the server mergers happen or grow up and move on to something else.

Constant bickering over the name, which has been changed, is a bit pointless.

(And No I didn't care since it wasn't going to be my server)

No we might be able to get it changed again! LOL

gives me hope that you will also listen to the concerns of the RP community and take the right steps to ensure RP can happen publically safely and without trolls :)

They haven't so far, why would they change company policy now? XD

With the issues in game that should be addressed I can not believe we had this be the main topic of discussion for several days. Server names (in my opinion) are only necessary when you have too many servers to easily keep track of. I would have been just as happy seeing the following:

North America - East Coast

North America - West Coast

Europe - English

Europe - French

Europe - German

It is simple and keeps people from having an "I don't like that name" tantrum.

Conspiracy Theory: deliberately using a stupid name resulted in deflecting attention from other, more important but less easy to appease topics.

Newspapers do these things on behalf of the government. Important topics get pushed back deeper and deeper so people will forget about them after the initial outcry.

I blame the average attention span of the general populace. Very easily manipulated this way.

It honestly looked to me like the server was, for all practical purposes, going to be permanently renamed "Hot Pocket," mostly, and a few other names here and there. I think that very few players would ever refer to it by its intended name, "Hot Prospect."

That's exactly the reason. They've never caved on anything this quickly before. If they actually cared about possibly derogatory things upsetting players, this forum would have about a dozen total threads.

Conspiracy Theory: deliberately using a stupid name resulted in deflecting attention from other, more important but less easy to appease topics.

Newspapers do these things on behalf of the government. Important topics get pushed back deeper and deeper so people will forget about them after the initial outcry.

I blame the average attention span of the general populace. Very easily manipulated this way.

Well at least we now we have Theron's hair to keep everybody distracted now.

Well now I know what server to avoid if they are offended by something that small. Thanks for changing it so they don't come to mine. ;)

People have also been offended by Satele Shan since her initials are a reminder of the bad WW2 days in Europe. There is no pleasing anyone. 2017, the year of the offended. I hope they skip it in history books.

Oh, please.

We are talking about a game where players routinely dress up female characters and companions in "Slave Girl" bikinis.

The game has cutscenes in which NPCs or even player characters blackmail characters for sexual favors.

In certain storylines, you can do things like have sex with a female NPC and force your companion to stay and watch, or cut off an old man's head and deliver it to his wife.

There are many references and depictions in the game of murder, torture, enslavement, violent assaults, and all kinds of depravity.

Do you really think that the developers would give a damn about people being offended by the name "Hot Prospect" ... ?

As so many people on this thread have said, this is just a deflection, an excuse. The developers don't want to admit that they gave one of the new servers a really dumb name that players would be mocking the hell out of for as long as it exists, so they're spin-doctoring it to make it look like they're changing the name out of concern for the player community.

• 2 weeks later...
Bit late for the party. Shame, since you trotted out such walloping set of buzzwords.

Points deducted for not working in "liberal".

:p

:o

I was unsubbed for a few weeks due to lack of funds and I want to get out my 2:sy_auction: on stuff I've missed. I don't think there was anything wrong with the name at all. I honestly didn't think of it being anywhere near offensive. It was the people whose heads are stuck in the gutters that made me have to go out of my way and google the term to even fathom the connection.

Edited by Talon_strikes

:o

I was unsubbed for a few weeks due to lack of funds and I want to get out my 2:sy_auction: on stuff I've missed. I don't think there was anything wrong with the name at all. I honestly didn't think of it being anywhere near offensive. It was the people whose heads are stuck in the gutters that made me have to go out of my way and google the term to even fathom the connection.

Didn't faze me either. In fact, I related the term to sales rather than what the preponderance of folk seemed to equate with it.

As for changing it, poor BW; damned if they do, damned if they don't.

My position, at the end of the day is: It's a server name, ffs. But others apparently really cared so...