Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

happysister
11.11.2018 , 11:22 AM | #9561
Quote: Originally Posted by Kagetheorc View Post
I've only been playing since March. That said, I'm bad at the game. Pretty bad. However, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that this statement is false. I only do Flashpoints with maybe one or two operations every now and again. Because VM is role-agnostic, I get into those faster, and therefore, more often. I would argue that the role-agnostic nature of the encounters teaches you more about boss mechanics. The debuff on Athiss's last boss -will- kill you if not removed; and has an iffy survival rate depending on how long between getting the debuff and hitting a kolto station. For the sake of argument, let's not get into Umbara/Traitor/Nathema; as those are arguably outliers (despite how much I would -love- to talk about them). What I noticed is that, as I'm lower level and geared, I don't draw a lot of threat. But, once capped, and my understanding of my rotation and stuff grows, I pull more and more threat (as is a natural curve). Because I'm pulling more threat, and there's no tank, I'm getting hit. Without a healer, I'm not being topped off. As such, if I don't learn how to use my defensives and properly mitigate (or even properly CC), I am -going- to die.

My success rate in Master Mode Flashpoints is a lot higher. Why, I cannot say. But, I would argue it doesn't have much to do with mechanics. Master Mode is mechanically harder, yet I have an easier time in them than I do in Veteran Mode instances. I would argue Veteran Mode also teaches people how to function in a group....to a selfish extent. Not in the sense of communication/coordination/composition. Rather, they know someone with stealth can CC mobs so they can skip trash and make things go faster. They know who has combat resurrections so they shouldn't be dead for longer than a minute in the event they do die. The list goes on and on. But, yeah. On mass, I don't agree that role-agnostic = less emphasis on what is going on.
Congratulations. You pay more attention to mechanics, and concern yourself with proper cd usage, than 90% of the pugs out there. Most of the time, the pugs I see in VM FPs are like, "Hey, I'm taking damage. Instead of trying to use my defensives properly, or even a self cleanse, if my class has one, I'm gonna go click this kolto station so I can get healed to full in two seconds. Even if there's a healer in the group that is actively healing me, Imma use the kolto station because that's what they're there for, and you don't need healers in VM FPs. They may as well respec to dps to make this go faster."
<Fortitude>
Lorhin - Gunslinger | Sashel - Scoundrel
Shylar - Guardian | Meewa - Sage
RIP my old servers [The Corsair, Canderous Ordo, Jedi Covenant] .

bluehufsa
11.11.2018 , 11:33 AM | #9562
Quote: Originally Posted by Padabiene View Post
But people also need to pay attention and not blame it all on other players rushing through. If someone needs or wants an explanation I happily oblige. I just need to know and often enough there's silence in chat.^^
I don't mind explaining the mechanics to newcomers,but often it is like this:

Me : OK, now i will "sleep" that turret, don't attack it pls
Dude: attacks that cc-ed turret and dies
Me: when the bridge changes its color to blue, we cross it as fast as we can
Dude: attempts to cross when the bridge is red,falls down and dies
Me: now we all attack the droid
Dude: attacks Vorgan the Volcano and dies
Me: the boss will AoE, when he does you run
Dude: stays there like a statue and dies
Me : do you understand English?
Dude : shut up, bla bla bla insults & other not so nice stuff
"Rainbow Demon - pick up your heart and run

Rainbow Demon - lives for his sword and his gun"

LudhaninRolgge
11.11.2018 , 12:36 PM | #9563
Quote: Originally Posted by Kagetheorc View Post
I've only been playing since March. That said, I'm bad at the game. Pretty bad. However, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that this statement is false. I only do Flashpoints with maybe one or two operations every now and again. Because VM is role-agnostic, I get into those faster, and therefore, more often. I would argue that the role-agnostic nature of the encounters teaches you more about boss mechanics. The debuff on Athiss's last boss -will- kill you if not removed; and has an iffy survival rate depending on how long between getting the debuff and hitting a kolto station. For the sake of argument, let's not get into Umbara/Traitor/Nathema; as those are arguably outliers (despite how much I would -love- to talk about them). What I noticed is that, as I'm lower level and geared, I don't draw a lot of threat. But, once capped, and my understanding of my rotation and stuff grows, I pull more and more threat (as is a natural curve). Because I'm pulling more threat, and there's no tank, I'm getting hit. Without a healer, I'm not being topped off. As such, if I don't learn how to use my defensives and properly mitigate (or even properly CC), I am -going- to die.

My success rate in Master Mode Flashpoints is a lot higher. Why, I cannot say. But, I would argue it doesn't have much to do with mechanics. Master Mode is mechanically harder, yet I have an easier time in them than I do in Veteran Mode instances. I would argue Veteran Mode also teaches people how to function in a group....to a selfish extent. Not in the sense of communication/coordination/composition. Rather, they know someone with stealth can CC mobs so they can skip trash and make things go faster. They know who has combat resurrections so they shouldn't be dead for longer than a minute in the event they do die. The list goes on and on. But, yeah. On mass, I don't agree that role-agnostic = less emphasis on what is going on.
You don't understand what role Story FP had then. Back then it was to teach you how to play in the trinity system, what was your role in this system so you could be prepared once you transitioned to HM FP and ops. As it is now and since it's gender neutral, you more often than not are forced to play in a role that's not yours. I, for instance, end up tanking each and every time there's not a tank (and even sometimes when there is). What this implies is that people take bad habit. Engaging the combat as a dps or bad execution (or even non-execution) of mechanics are two examples. And when thiose players transition to harder content those habits are hard to break. So we end up with DPS pulling before the tank, people standing in stupid, not executing the mechanics since, according to them, they know what to do despite being a 1st timer in HM FP. The list goes on and this thread has everything you need to prove my point. Sure it happened before, but it's becoming more and more since tactical replaced SM FP. To the point I almost never run HM FP anymore even though I quite like to do it. But the population is so bad I prefer to avoid the frustration of wiping over and over again on easy (at least for me) content because people don't know how to play their role properly or their class properly.
Darth Malgus
Odhul'sen - La Croisée
Typhojem - La Croisée Impériale

AlrikFassbauer
11.12.2018 , 12:28 PM | #9564
Quote: Originally Posted by bluehufsa View Post
I don't mind explaining the mechanics to newcomers,but often it is like this:

Me : OK, now i will "sleep" that turret, don't attack it pls
Dude: attacks that cc-ed turret and dies
Me: when the bridge changes its color to blue, we cross it as fast as we can
Dude: attempts to cross when the bridge is red,falls down and dies
Me: now we all attack the droid
Dude: attacks Vorgan the Volcano and dies
Me: the boss will AoE, when he does you run
Dude: stays there like a statue and dies
Me : do you understand English?
Dude : shut up, bla bla bla insults & other not so nice stuff
I often have the distant feeling as if this could be Arena-playstyle PvPers.
Complex minds
will create
Complex problems.

bluehufsa
11.12.2018 , 12:43 PM | #9565
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
I often have the distant feeling as if this could be Arena-playstyle PvPers.
Sorry, i don't know, PvP is not my cup of tea, the only times i did it was for DvL and to get Major Pierce, but that's all.
"Rainbow Demon - pick up your heart and run

Rainbow Demon - lives for his sword and his gun"