Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why we need a legacy ignore

AndrewAlberts
08.17.2019 , 09:04 AM | #1
I don't want to name names on the forums, but anyone on the DM server can probably guess the name of the player I use as an example of why we need a legacy ignore. This player does nothing except troll fleet chat, loudly announces when he logs in like he's some sort of big shot, rant about how the game is dying and proceed to share his plans on what he's doing on the games as if he's narrating his life story. I get that due to the rules being what they are, BW can do little about him, but can we please have a function that allows all our characters in our legacy to ignore him without having to re-add him to the ignore list every time we make another toon? He's doing this on both factions, so there's no escaping him.

DizzyrupTor
08.17.2019 , 10:01 AM | #2
Is making a note of this persons name and just ignoring him again so hard? take you all of 2 seconds to do when you see this person spam again.

I would rather the dev's concentrate on things more worthy of attention than your little issue I am sorry to say.

JediQuaker
08.17.2019 , 11:11 AM | #3
When I first saw the title, I thought you were referring to "ignoring" a player's entire legacy rather than just the one alt, which would be a nice idea. Having a "legacy ignore" function as you describe, would also be nice. Having both would be ideal.
But, until (if ever) that happens the easiest thing to do is to simply not pay attention to general chat. From what you've said, this person doesn't seem to be harassing you personally, so why even take note of it. You can turn off general chat, or make your chat window small enough to easily ignore. (I can ignore chat so easily that I often don't see team messages during FPs, etc. )

Note - I do realize that some people are playing at low resolutions (anything lower than 1600x900 I would consider low rez) and therefore some screen elements are relatively large. But then again, some people don't seem to know how to adjust the size of some elements either.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

Jdast
08.17.2019 , 11:46 AM | #4
Let's stipulate the following:

1) I'm no tech expert, but other games have done this with ease.

2) The example the OP gives is not terribly persuasive.

But...

While I have never been subject to in-game stalking, or guild stalking, I can bear witness to those that have.

Seems to me this is low hanging fruit in 2019 and should be done.

Dasty

Phazonfreak
08.17.2019 , 11:49 AM | #5
While I understand the desire to have a legacy ignore feature in the game - sometimes I also feel like ignoring all characters of a particularly nasty person - I think there is a good reason why BioWare is very hesitant to even consider it. And it has nothing to do with technical problems.
As low as the population has gotten over the years, giving players the option to ignore entire legacies has a high risk of being quite detrimental to the overall group finder functionality and making it far more difficult to find a group in the process.

Granted there are some players that would not care about this at all and also some other players that don't do any group activities in the first place, but opening this pandora's box could be extremely risky.

Jdast
08.17.2019 , 11:53 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Phazonfreak View Post
While I understand the desire to have a legacy ignore feature in the game - sometimes I also feel like ignoring all characters of a particularly nasty person - I think there is a good reason why BioWare is very hesitant to even consider it. And it has nothing to do with technical problems.
As low as the population has gotten over the years, giving players the option to ignore entire legacies has a high risk of being quite detrimental to the overall group finder functionality and making it far more difficult to find a group in the process.

Granted there are some players that would not care about this at all and also some other players that don't do any group activities in the first place, but opening this pandora's box could be extremely risky.
Here's why I disagree. If someone is nasty on one character, why wouldn't they be nasty on the other?

The argument that they are only RP-ing a jerk on one character and not the other is highly suspect. Not saying you are making the RP argument, but my view is -- once an ***, always an ***.

If enough people are ignoring an entire legacy, that says a lot about the person who owns said legacy.

Dasty

Phazonfreak
08.17.2019 , 12:03 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
Here's why I disagree. If someone is nasty on one character, why wouldn't they be nasty on the other?

The argument that they are only RP-ing a jerk on one character and not the other is highly suspect.

If enough people are ignoring an entire legacy, that says a lot about the person who owns said legacy.

Dasty
I think there are quite a lot of players who create specific characters to be nasty or edgy and also have "regular" characters in their legacy. Sometimes you can even tell by the character name. Just a couple of days ago I had to report another player that used a character name very similar to a prominent figure in Nazi Germany.

My problem is not with the shunning of nasty players. Like I said, I sometimes also feel like we should be able to ignore an entire legacy. I just think that giving this option will also have the potential for dire consequences with certain other aspects of the game.

Let me put it this way: If you ignored all the players that sometimes exhibited bad form or nasty attitudes, I think we would be left with a very low population of "good and nice" players that cannot do group content anymore.

OlBuzzard
08.17.2019 , 12:07 PM | #8
Let's stipulate the following:

1) I'm no tech expert, but other games have done this with ease.

2) The example the OP gives is not terribly persuasive.

But...

While I have never been subject to in-game stalking, or guild stalking, I can bear witness to those that have.

Seems to me this is low hanging fruit in 2019 and should be done.

Dasty
You and I are on the same page here !! And believe it or not almost point for point ... actually !

I would like to add on other point: Often times player temperaments, attitudes and or abusive eccentricities are all but unilaterally extended to whatever character a player will log on to ! It therefore is only logical that if ignored by a player or group of players under one name ... just log in under another (or create another toon). If the "ignore" goes account wide (legacy) then that becomes considerably more effective. I would suppose that from a database or availability of space each player has in the "ignore list" file would less likely in need of an expansion (something that has also been requested) .. since many of the name belong to the same group of players to begin with.

IMO.. legacy tracked "ignore list" is a win - win for players and BW both !
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

Jdast
08.17.2019 , 12:22 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Phazonfreak View Post
I think there are quite a lot of players who create specific characters to be nasty or edgy and also have "regular" characters in their legacy. Sometimes you can even tell by the character name. Just a couple of days ago I had to report another player that used a character name very similar to a prominent figure in Nazi Germany.

My problem is not with the shunning of nasty players. Like I said, I sometimes also feel like we should be able to ignore an entire legacy. I just think that giving this option will also have the potential for dire consequences with certain other aspects of the game.

Let me put it this way: If you ignored all the players that sometimes exhibited bad form or nasty attitudes, I think we would be left with a very low population of "good and nice" players that cannot do group content anymore.
Fair enough. But in a PuG setting, I'm talking about the following scenario...

I'm healing EdgeLord Sith who keeps screaming "Go, go, go" in a FP. They stand in the middle of the fire and scream at the healer (me) about why I didn't save their butt.

Next day, they are on SuperTrooper Commando and scream "Go, go, go" in a FP. They stand in the middle of the fire and scream at the healer (me) about why I didn't save their butt.

I would prefer to deal with that person only once. One and done...

<<which is not going the be case with the second martini I'm about to imbibe>>

Dasty

P.S. I understand your point, but also appreciate you understanding the broader harassment point -- fortunately -- something I've never been subject to in games. I guess maybe I'm just selfish and hate dealing with morons.

OlBuzzard
08.17.2019 , 12:48 PM | #10
Fair enough. But in a PuG setting, I'm talking about the following scenario...

I'm healing EdgeLord Sith who keeps screaming "Go, go, go" in a FP. They stand in the middle of the fire and scream at the healer (me) about why I didn't save their butt.

Next day, they are on SuperTrooper Commando and scream "Go, go, go" in a FP. They stand in the middle of the fire and scream at the healer (me) about why I didn't save their butt.

I would prefer to deal with that person only once. One and done...

<<which is not going the be case with the second martini I'm about to imbibe>>

Dasty

P.S. I understand your point, but also appreciate you understanding the broader harassment point -- fortunately -- something I've never been subject to in games. I guess maybe I'm just selfish and hate dealing with morons.
well said... Although it might be for an assortment of reasons: One and done ! Much simpler .. more efficient !
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|