Obi-Wan Kenobi Knowing???

BrandonSM

*I haven't read much on Obi-Wan, so I am using knowledge from Dark Rendezvous*

"You've been sending private messages back to Coruscant"

Anakin Flushed. "You've been tracing my outgoing-"

He stopped. "You just guessed."

"I am a wise and powerful Jedi Knight, you know,"

Obi-Wan said, allowing himself a small grin.

An awkward pause.

"Since part of my duty as your Master is to pass on my vast wisdom-" Obi Wan began.

"Here it comes," Anakin said.

"-I suppose I should officially remind you that a Jedi has no room in his life for... some kinds of entanglement."

"Ill keep that in mind." Anakin rolled his eyes.

"Nonattachment is a fundamental precept of the Order, Padawan. You knew that when you signed up."

"I guess I didn't read the Toydarian Print." Anakin growled.

For the first time, Obi-Wan turned away from the holocomm transceiver. "How serious are you about this girl, Anakin?"

So my question is, if Obi-Wan knew Anakin was having a relationship, why didn't he report it to the Council? And do you think he should have?

Even in Episode 2, Anakin shows his love for Padme when she falls out of the gunship.

Even if Obi-Wan did know, I doubt he would have told the council. He got attached to people just as Anakin did. Anakin happened to be one of them.

"Send me to kill the Emperor. I cannot kill Anakin. He is like my brother"

Edited by mathalsolo

Obi Wan had his own issues with attachment, not just to Anakin, but previously to the dutchess of Mandalore. So much so in fact, that he would have left the jedi order to be with her.

If he did know about Anakin and Padme, he certainly would not have reported it.

was that excerpt from the Yoda novel? I have yet to read it but that sheds some light on the question of obi-wan and how much he knew

Yes it was from Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. Great book btw. But there isn't much on Anakin and Obi just a couple pages, but its mostly about Yoda, Dooku and, a 4 other Jedi(2 Masters, 1 Apprentices)

If your interested in Yoda, Dooku or, Asajj Ventress. This book is it.

Jorander stated awhile ago that the Jedi Council all knew about his relationship, but the fact is, he made the common mistake fans do, by thinking Jedi can't be in relationships, nowhere does it state this, in fact the Jedi Path tells us many Jedi have relations much like any normal person does, they just make sure their relationships don't become more important to them than their Jedi obligations(Selfishness is Greed, a path to the Dark Side).

As far as the Jedi knowing is concerned, their only worry was the fact he was in a relationship with a politician, as Obi-Wan himself stated, you can't trust politicians.

Obi-Wan must be a bit of an idiot then if he couldn't figure out it was Padmé, you'd think the way he fumbled around from the moment he got into that elevator and even flat out admitted about being nervous about seeing her again would be all the evidence he'd need to put two and two together.

But then, pretty much everyone is an idiot in the prequels.

If we want to take the recent Clone Wars series into account (which it seems everyone is) I am 100% sure Obi-Wan knew.

While I am not sure on any specifics, I KNOW I recall a few telling looks or sidelong glances Obi-Wan shot Anakin/Padme on more than one occasion. And yes, we have the line in RotS "Anakin is the father, isn't he?" And, as Brandon mentions, knew about their love for each other by the end of Episode II.

To quote:

Anakin: Put the ship down!

Obi-Wan: Anakin! Don't let your personal feelings get in the way!

Anakin: Lower the ship!

Obi-Wan: I can't take Dooku alone! I need you! If we catch him, we can end this war right now! We have a job to do!

Anakin: I don't care! Put the ship down!

Obi-Wan: You will be expelled from the Jedi order!

Anakin: I CAN'T LEAVE HER!

Obi-Wan: COME TO YOUR SENSES! What do you think Padme would do were she in your position?

Anakin: ....She would do her duty.

He is fully aware, he's just choosing to remain quiet about it.

The reasons why are also fairly clear; Anakin is like a brother to him. He cares about him, and even though he may have reprimanded him for it he wouldn't ruin Anakin's life as a Jedi by telling the Council. As Padme says to Anakin, Obi-Wan knew and "want[ed] to help," and I believe that wholeheartedly. ESPECIALLY considering this recent Duchess of Mandalore subplot. Obi-Wan's been there, he knows what it's like.

Actually, I find Anakin's actions even MORE infuriatingly stupid CONSIDERING Obi-Wan's past. He was willing to leave the Order for a woman; don't you think he'd understand your position? Of course, this all chalks up to "meh" writing.

Rayla_Felana, I'm not sure where you are getting your info from. It's stated time and time again that Jedi are forbidden from relationships. The ONLY exception I can think of for that time period is Jedi Master Ki-Adi-Mundi. A very special exception was made for him because of the odd sex ratio for his species, in order to ensure they wouldn't die out.

He never lied in that video.

your joking right??? How about the most obvious one "Your father wanted you to have this, it's his light saber"

Anakin and Obi Wan never have a conversation about that. So how could Obi Wan know he wanted him to have it? Anakin didn't even know he was going to have a son.

Now if Obi wan said "Your father WOULD HAVE wanted you to have this' then you would be correct.

Obi Wan also didn't take it upon himself to train Anakin when they met. He tried to convince Qui Gon NOT to train him. It was Qui Gons dying request that Obi Wan train him and even then he did so reluctantly

Edited by jarjarloves

But after that, and after Yoda's message that the Council agreed Anakin be trained by Obi-Wan, he took that job upon him without any reservation. I don't think their relationship could've become as tight as it did, otherwise.

Besides, in ANH Obi's become quite old, and we know that memory always plays tricks on the mind. It's possible that he remembered it that way.

"I guess I didn't read the Toydarian Print." Anakin growled.

I like how we all just skipped over the racist joke here! Since it's pretty common knowledge watto was an Arab/Jew stereotype, Anakin just said the equivalent of "I didn't read the Jew print". Unless "fine" as in "fine print" is a race on earth.

your joking right??? How about the most obvious one "Your father wanted you to have this, it's his light saber"

Anakin and Obi Wan never have a conversation about that. So how could Obi Wan know he wanted him to have it? Anakin didn't even know he was going to have a son.

Now if Obi wan said "Your father WOULD HAVE wanted you to have this' then you would be correct.

Obi Wan also didn't take it upon himself to train Anakin when they met. He tried to convince Qui Gon NOT to train him. It was Qui Gons dying request that Obi Wan train him and even then he did so reluctantly

So your saying just because Anakin never said on screen he wanted to give his lightsaber to his son, that makes Obi-Wan a liar? And yes Obi-Wan did take it upon himself to train Anakin, even if it was his dying master's request he still went through it to train him.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

So your saying just because Anakin never said on screen he wanted to give his lightsaber to his son, that makes Obi-Wan a liar? And yes Obi-Wan did take it upon himself to train Anakin, even if it was his dying master's request he still went through it to train him.

Because Anakin and Obi Wan never talk about his kids. Obi Wan doesn't even know they are Anakins kids until Anakin left for Mustafar and then he hides aboard Padmes ship. The next time Anakin and Obi Wan are together they are fighting to the death so... yeah that could have never happened even off screen.

As for Obi Wan. following his masters request is NOT taking it upon himself. Thats doing what he is told. If he took it upon himself to train him he would have been the one suggesting that Anakin is trained.

Also what about "No my father didn't fight in the Wars he was a navigator on a spice freighter" "That's what your Uncle told you he didn't believe in your fathers ideals and thought he shouldn't get involved"

1. Lars never met Obi Wan until when Obi Wan brings Luke to him.

2. The Clone Wars hadn't started so there was no war to go to.

3. The idea that the conversation would have had to been "OH hi I just met you I don't believe in your ideals that your a Jedi Knight you shouldn't go off to war that hasn't started yet instead you should stay here on a moisture farm with me" is just ridiculous

4. Even if they did have that conversation how would Obi Wan know about it?

Edited by jarjarloves